PDA

View Full Version : Need quick help with a Talapia recipe

CadaverDawg
11-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Guys, I am wanting to cook some tilapia tonight and have never done it before. I am trying to eat healthier and I thought Talapia would be a good choice. Can someone tell me a good easy recipe or something me and the wife would like?

Can you cook it on the grill? Do I need to cook it on tin foil if I cook it on the grill? How should I season it? How long do I cook it? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

I would also love some other fish recipes. I need to be eating more fish but I've just never cooked it enough to feel comfortable with it. The last thing I want to do is ruin dinner trying to experiment with fish typically...but tonight I'm up for whatever.

BeastMan
11-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Probably the easiest fish recipe in the world in blackened. On a flat, non stick skillet, coat with low fat cooking spray. I use omega smart balance spray. Give the fish a nice coating of blackening seasoning (like Tony C's) but don't go overboard. Easy to over salt w/that stuff. Medium-high hot pan. The thickness of the fish will determine the cook time on each side. You can check it by seeing if the fish flakes in the middle. When it does, it's done. Have lemon slices on the side. Easy, good, and heathy.

Another easy one would be fish almandine.oven preheat to 350. Lightly salt and pepper fish filets. Generously cover fish filets with sliced almonds in a non stick, coated pan. Get a small stove top pan and put a couple tablespoons on diet butter (I like smart balance), 1/4 cup worseshire sauce, 1/4 lemon juice. Slowly heat that mixed until the butter is melted and it's a liquid. Spoon that sauce over the almond covered fish filets every 3ish minutes. Should be ready after 15-20 minutes depending on fish thickness. Once the fish is plated, give it a cop more spoons of the sauce.

Both these can be cooked differently but I gave the healthy recipes.

FISHDAWG
11-07-2013, 02:21 PM
use foil - Tilapia is a flaky fish ... Tilapia is so mild that it seasons very well with whatever you use ... the simplest ways to cook are sprinkle a little Lowry's seasoning or you can use a cajun seasoning, or even simpler just sprinkle some lemmon-pepper on it then add some melted butter ... or sprinkle some dill weed ... also make wonderful fish tacos .... grill or bake in the oven - fried it will fall apart
a lot of recipes are designed to cover the fish taste but you won't have that problem with Tilapia so remember to use seasonings sparingly ..... next time try salmon - I have a great way for cooking salmon

CadaverDawg
11-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I'll let you know how it turns out

BeastMan
11-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Agree with FishDawg. I usually only bake or skillet tilapia.

Esmerelda Villalobos
11-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Never eat tilapia

Political Hack
11-07-2013, 06:25 PM
or whiting.

BeastMan
11-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Y'all are both kinda right and kinda wrong. Multiple different fish can be sold as certain fish. For instance, look on the back of pouches of tuna. Some will say caught in Korea and some will say chile. Completely different fish but both sold as tuna. As a general rule of thumb, if it was caught in America, it will be what the label says. There are a bunch of US tilapia farms that put out good fish. It's kinda like if it doesn't say MS farm raised catfish, you could be eating that garbage from Vietnam. All that said, even all the garbage, mislabeled fish the US imports is ok to eat and is not even as close to disgusting as imported shrimp as far as bacteria and disease. I'm much more careful about the shrimp I buy.

Political Hack
11-07-2013, 06:49 PM
I'll eat tilapia sometimes... SOMETIMES... but not whiting. I eat catfish all the time... salmon all the time.. shrimp all the time... crawfish all the time (in season). Oysters, sushi (tuna, salmon, crab, etc...).

Most of it comes from the gulf when I can help it.

Political Hack
11-07-2013, 06:51 PM
good salmon recipe on the grill. Get some garlic, butter, salt, pepper, orange slices, sliced onions and wrap it all in some tinfoil on the grill. The citric acid in the arrange slices take the "fishy" taste right out of the salmon. I know a lot of people that won't eat salmon that will eat it when I cook it like that.

FISHDAWG
11-11-2013, 10:00 AM
good salmon recipe on the grill. Get some garlic, butter, salt, pepper, orange slices, sliced onions and wrap it all in some tinfoil on the grill. The citric acid in the arrange slices take the "fishy" taste right out of the salmon. I know a lot of people that won't eat salmon that will eat it when I cook it like that.

the citric acid is also a very effective meat tenderizer and works well with venison also ... I use pine-apple a lot on different types of fish because of the same effect but it also flavors as well .... next time on the Salmon try mixing some honey and teriaki sauce ... the honey will make the teriaki sauce stick to the fish - grill on cedar plank

CadaverDawg
11-11-2013, 03:53 PM
the citric acid is also a very effective meat tenderizer and works well with venison also ... I use pine-apple a lot on different types of fish because of the same effect but it also flavors as well .... next time on the Salmon try mixing some honey and teriaki sauce ... the honey will make the teriaki sauce stick to the fish - grill on cedar plank

I love this forum. I can't wait to cook some salmon now that I see these recipes. Great stuff with the pineapple and honey advice.

Political Hack
11-11-2013, 07:09 PM
a friend of mine married a Swedish tennis player... I kid you not... One thing they do a lot here is out honey mustard on salmon as a sauce. I thought it sounded awful but it actually tasted good. they just use it as a dipping sauce.

M.Fillmore
11-17-2013, 07:14 PM
next time try salmon - I have a great way for cooking salmon

Post it bro.