PDA

View Full Version : First thing we need to do is switch to 2 back sets.....

maroonmania
10-11-2020, 10:05 AM
That way we can have one to swing out into the pass pattern and the other can stay very deep in the backfield to defend against interception returns. :(

parabrave
10-11-2020, 10:18 AM
Ain't going to happen. What you are seeing is what we are going to have till he either starts winning or is carried out of here.

Cooterpoot
10-11-2020, 10:19 AM
We already run two RBs. But you can't leave one to block. Defense is already outnumbering you. There's no excuse for not blocking 3.

maroonmania
10-11-2020, 10:24 AM
Guess I should have added the sarcasteriks. Thought it was implied.

vindastra
10-11-2020, 11:59 AM
We don't need 5 OL for the piss poor job they have been doing. Put 3 OL to defend against 3 and use two more TEs or WRs or RBs or whatever.

This OL is the most disappointing thing about this team.

R2Dawg
10-11-2020, 12:32 PM
We don't need 5 OL for the piss poor job they have been doing. Put 3 OL to defend against 3 and use two more TEs or WRs or RBs or whatever.

This OL is the most disappointing thing about this team.

Here is one, take one OL out and add a TE. Throw to TE out if this. They will be caught way off guard. It adds another WR. Why commit to 5 OL if we are going to be different, be different.

Homedawg
10-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Here is one, take one OL out and add a TE. Throw to TE out if this. They will be caught way off guard. It adds another WR. Why commit to 5 OL if we are going to be different, be different.

That doesn't add you an extra receiver. Cause you have to have 7 on the line. Only 2 can be eligible

R2Dawg
10-11-2020, 02:30 PM
That doesn't add you an extra receiver. Cause you have to have 7 on the line. Only 2 can be eligible

You can line them up on the line but them do something with them in space. Putting 5 to block 3 is a waste.

Homedawg
10-11-2020, 02:36 PM
You can line them up on the line but them do something with them in space. Putting 5 to block 3 is a waste.

But it doesn't give you and extra eligible receiver, as you stated.

Mobile Bay
10-11-2020, 02:36 PM

No, under the rules of the game of football, you really can't. Because if they are more than a step or two forward of the line, the five mandatory ineligible players become ineligible receivers downfield and that is a penalty.

Cooterpoot
10-11-2020, 02:46 PM

🤦*♀️

Joebob
10-11-2020, 05:14 PM
That way we can have one to swing out into the pass pattern and the other can stay very deep in the backfield to defend against interception returns. :(

It's sad that I had to laugh at this post.

maroonmania
10-11-2020, 08:58 PM
It's sad that I had to laugh at this post.

Certainly posted in jest, but when you essentially have 4 pick 6s in 3 games, you do start to wonder what we can do to help stop gifting the other team with defensive points.

Todd4State
10-12-2020, 12:00 AM
Certainly posted in jest, but when you essentially have 4 pick 6s in 3 games, you do start to wonder what we can do to help stop gifting the other team with defensive points.

I'd start by not staring receivers down for one.

MetEdDawg
10-12-2020, 06:37 AM
Double trips formation is about the closest thing we could do to achieve more available pass catching options.

4 down lineman, trips on either side of the ball. Seen it done before and it can be effective in opening up some space by flooding the hell out of zones. Gives your zone defenders too many options to have to account for in space.

Additionally if the defense does try and blitz out of it, you now have taken an additional defender out of the picture and you've got 6 on 7 instead of a 5 on 8 situation.

Maroonthirteen
10-12-2020, 07:12 AM
We ran one play (that I recall in a 2 back set). Washington St ran two back a few times in the game linked. Therefor I assume we haven't seen two back but once because we don't execute it well in practice or do other things better. Either way 2 back is in the Leach offense.

https://youtu.be/CkkZkDdUA9A

Quaoarsking
10-12-2020, 07:40 AM
We could always try the A-11. I haven't heard Leach speak on it specifically, but I feel certain he's a fan of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-11_offense

(Note I'm being like 90% sarcastic. But not 100%. I'd love to see a college team adapt this into something. Probably not us though.)

RiverCityDawg
10-12-2020, 08:06 AM
Are y'all not getting the OP's joke or are you just determined to talk about us running two-back sets?.... (By the way, we run a lot two-back. We started both the LSU and UK games in a two-back set.)

BuckyIsAB****
10-12-2020, 09:43 AM
Double trips formation is about the closest thing we could do to achieve more available pass catching options.

4 down lineman, trips on either side of the ball. Seen it done before and it can be effective in opening up some space by flooding the hell out of zones. Gives your zone defenders too many options to have to account for in space.

Additionally if the defense does try and blitz out of it, you now have taken an additional defender out of the picture and you've got 6 on 7 instead of a 5 on 8 situation.

Where have you seen trips on both sides?

RiverCityDawg
10-12-2020, 09:49 AM

6 wide must mean no QB. Not sure that's going to work out well for you.

MetEdDawg
10-12-2020, 11:46 AM
6 wide must mean no QB. Not sure that's going to work out well for you.

No you just have 3 down lineman with a RB in the backfield. Seen it used in high school a bunch. Been used in college on rare occasions. The inside receivers can't catch a pass on either side, but the outside 2 can.

You still only have 5 people to catch the ball, but you free up 2 additional "potential" blockers on the outside to clog it up and give our guys some chances to get into space with wide blockers.

maroonmania
10-12-2020, 11:58 AM
No you just have 3 down lineman with a RB in the backfield. Seen it used in high school a bunch. Been used in college on rare occasions. The inside receivers can't catch a pass on either side, but the outside 2 can.

You still only have 5 people to catch the ball, but you free up 2 additional "potential" blockers on the outside to clog it up and give our guys some chances to get into space with wide blockers.

Well, I don't see how we do any worse blocking 3 DL with 3 OL than we currently do blocking 3 DL with 5 OL. If you had 2 additional players out in pass patterns maybe we could find someone to throw to more quickly.

Homedawg
10-12-2020, 02:02 PM
Well, I don't see how we do any worse blocking 3 DL with 3 OL than we currently do blocking 3 DL with 5 OL. If you had 2 additional players out in pass patterns maybe we could find someone to throw to more quickly.

Face palm. You cant send two additional players on patterns. That's illegal.

MetEdDawg
10-12-2020, 02:14 PM

Correct. The interior wide player on either side would be ineligible. But you can still have 3 wide on either side and have only 3 down lineman.

It would basically be like taking each tackle and bunching it out wide. Ineligible, but split wide like WR to affect blocking.

But you would be able to use them to block and that could create issues for a drop 8 scheme.

DownwardDawg
10-12-2020, 02:26 PM
🤦*♀️

Lmao

maroonmania
10-12-2020, 09:10 PM

Yea, I realize you have to keep 5 down lineman on the LOS, the post was really a flippant jovial response about only blocking with three so heck, just send everyone out. Even if you could do that obviously we aren't going to block with only three for our QB.

Homedawg
10-12-2020, 09:14 PM
Correct. The interior wide player on either side would be ineligible. But you can still have 3 wide on either side and have only 3 down lineman.

It would basically be like taking each tackle and bunching it out wide. Ineligible, but split wide like WR to affect blocking.

But you would be able to use them to block and that could create issues for a drop 8 scheme.
Nevermind. Just Nevermind.