PDA

View Full Version : Receivers

chef dixon
11-07-2013, 01:05 PM
I think we have officially dropped the ball (pun intended) on developing any of our WR's this year. We are 8 games into the season and you couldn't convince me that any of our WR are primed to step up and play at a high level next year. Not necessarily wanting to include Jameon in this discussion because he is more of an all purpose player, who doesn't really stretch the field as a pure WR. I'm all for "spread the fun" if its effective, but we are so watered down at this position by just sending out bodies to run routs that no one either has the ability or has had the chance to step up and be a playmaker. Not sure what it is, but I'm seeing this being a problem next year as well.

geotop
11-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I think De'Runnya looks awesome

smootness
11-07-2013, 01:34 PM
I would like to see us use a few WRs more often, rather than a bunch of WRs a little, as you're suggesting. At the same time, we just don't throw it a whole lot, and we have a lot of WRs to use.

I think we've seen some guys progress from where they were last year; you can't throw Jameon Lewis out, he's pretty much the definition of what we really want slot WRs to be in our offense, and he's taken a big leap. Morrow also looks better than he has in the past. Robert Johnson has been somewhat disappointing, as I thought he'd be our go-to guy, but that hasn't materialized.

But I think we have some good potential with some of our young WRs that could see a jump next year. Wilson and Ross are the two specifically that come to mind; they both clearly have talent and could become legitimate go-to guys in the offense and downfield threats. If Jameon Lewis just does this again next year, he'll be fine. I don't expect much from Chappelle only because he hasn't been in much this year, so there's no way to project what he could do next year.

We also have Hammond and Christy who will be available next year; I doubt any of the new signees play, especially with the injuries. But I think a WR group of Lewis, Morrow, R. Johnson, Wilson, Ross, Chappelle can be good; also Fred Brown and Holloway. We have some talent there, but we are still waiting for them to emerge; you're right about that.

AlSwearengen
11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Billy Gonzales is widely considered to be a top notch wr's coach. We just don't have a high enough pay grade for our receivers. It is that simple.

MarketingBully01
11-07-2013, 02:54 PM
They are also an extremely young group so inconsistency is expected no matter who your receivers coach is. Brewster was lucky last year as we were dominated by senior receivers. Let Gonzales have these guys a couple more years and these guys become a strength of our offense. As Dak's passing ability improves, you will see the true spread option that utilized the receivers like Florida did with Meyer.

Homedawg
11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
I think De'Runnya looks awesome

I think he's going to be good. He just came in so raw. Ability to make plays is there.

Coach34
11-07-2013, 03:41 PM
I think we have officially dropped the ball (pun intended) on developing any of our WR's this year. We are 8 games into the season and you couldn't convince me that any of our WR are primed to step up and play at a high level next year. Not necessarily wanting to include Jameon in this discussion because he is more of an all purpose player, who doesn't really stretch the field as a pure WR. I'm all for "spread the fun" if its effective, but we are so watered down at this position by just sending out bodies to run routs that no one either has the ability or has had the chance to step up and be a playmaker. Not sure what it is, but I'm seeing this being a problem next year as well.

If they are a playmaker- they will standout. Lewis is our only real playmaker at WR, but Ross and Wilson will play bigger roles next year. They just have to learn what's going on.

We don't have top talent WR's- so they have to develop. They will certainly do that

Esmerelda Villalobos
11-07-2013, 03:42 PM
I think dojo is what chris smith could have been. A big and physical receiver that catches the ball. Moulds esque

Homedawg
11-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I think dojo is what chris smith could have been. A big and physical receiver that catches the ball. Moulds esque

What? Why is moulds name even In the same paragraph as those two? He was a freak.