PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Bacon Snaps 20 Game Losing Streak Edition

Coach34
10-04-2020, 10:15 AM
1. I'd like to be the first to welcome many of you back to reality, but our team and your OM friends have already done that for most of you.

2. When I talked repeatedly about the Leach experiment and if it would work in the SEC, I wasnt just pulling a statement out of my ass. This is the best league in America with the best athletes. Great coaches as well. People that get open in the Pac 12 and Big Ten dont get as open in the SEC. Same with the Big 12. We have now seen 2 extremes vs Leach- M2M Blitz constantly and Rush 3 drop 8 zone. Coaches adjust. Coaches copycat others. Word spreads quickly today.

3. UPig's rush 3 drop 8 plan was copycatted from Washington. Thats the way they played against Leach every year after he beat them in his 1st year in Pullman. After Washington switched to the Rush 3 Drop 8 style against Leach- he never scored 20 against them again. 17, 13, 10, 14, 15, 13 the last 6 games. We are about to see a whole lot of it the rest of this season from teams that have better defenses than the Pigs. All UPig did all night was move their front from playing the ends wide to sliding them inside into a Tite front (404). Thats it. It wasnt rocket surgery- it was "I dare you to throw it 60 times tonight". Well, we did.

4. Hill getting hurt obviously played a major factor. He took a shot to the head and then landed hard on his head. We got away with the fumble there. It looked like he may have even been knocked out for a second. I'm sure he has to go thru concussion protocol but he didnt look bad when they showed him in the 2nd half. Not having him running the ball vs that D certainly helped UPig continue to stay in it. The other guys played ok and made some good cuts- but they arent Hill. Is Witherspoon still on the roster? He looked good for a freshman last year. Amazing he cant even get a carry this year

5. I was surprised our OL didnt take over in the 2nd half. We started being patient and ran the ball some in the 2nd Q and they were hammering their DL. Looked like we would wear them down but never did. They outplayed us in the 2nd half and we didnt even average 4 ypc. Only 1 sack in 61 pass attempts is good- but considering they only rushed 3- it's expected.

6. On the Pick 6- the WR turned his head just as KJ threw the ball, I guess to check where he was on the field. He wasnt even looking and that led to the easy pick- very similar to Fitz's 1st pick at LSU in 2018. Helluva catch by Payton on the TD. 18 catches by the RB's is too many for this offense. It means we are having to check down way too often.

7. Just as many thought, our D has been pretty good against the run. They got us early with some power read, but we adjusted. Another really good goalline stand against their goalline offense. We are doing a good job so far of confusing OL's. We slanted the DL to the short side of the field and looped a LB from the middle around the edge for a sack last night. Usually takes too long for that to work- but it worked last night. UPig made us look bad on a couple of drives but overall a solid performance on D. Franks was 20/28 though and we didnt force any turnovers. The two blown coverages on the fake screens were big. But the bottom line is the D played well enough to win

8. People got mad at me last week for saying we need to run it more. Now you all have seen why. Leach is very smart and smarter than me. But I know you have to run vs a 5 man box. You have to. There just arent that many throwing windows vs an SEC defense dropping 8. Hell, we even got a 4 man box some. We didnt play a bigtime D last night folks. That was an average SEC D. We got some folks coming up on the schedule with much better DL's than UPig. Now that the blueprint has made it's way to the SEC- I'm curious to see how many copycat DC's there are. Some guys are hardheaded like Pellini and wont change because "this is what we do" (much like Leach). But some DC's are coaching whores and will do whatever it takes.

HailState

WyldStallyns
10-04-2020, 10:43 AM
We win if Kylin plays the whole game. Leach didn't want to put the game in the hands of Marks & Johnson. He put it in KJ's hands and he killed us. Simple as that.

WinningIsRelentless
10-04-2020, 10:44 AM
We don?t need to take another transfer at the qb position. The toughness and speed in the SEC takes time to learn and these guys coming from outside the league don?t believe it till its to late.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2020, 10:48 AM
I guess Oregon didn't copy Washington's defense*

It'll be fine. Leach will figure it out.

Growing pains. We just started practice a month and half ago with a new scheme and QB

Have perspective

TrapGame
10-04-2020, 10:50 AM

Growing pains. We just started practice a month and half ago with a new scheme and QB

Have perspective

And not having your best RB for most of the game didn't help at all.

Charlie_Sheen420
10-04-2020, 10:53 AM
We don?t need to take another transfer at the qb position. The toughness and speed in the SEC takes time to learn and these guys coming from outside the league don?t believe it till its to late.

I don't think we need to take anymore transfers period. How many of those have worked out so far? The only one that seems to be doing well off the top of my head is Shavers. Last year Stevens and Zuber didn't do anything. Then this year Lashley won't play a snap, Cole Smith still looks really iffy at center, Costello seems to not be able to take a hit, etc.

Why not just let who we have take the reps and develop, can't be any worse

Edit: I forgot to add the kicker Ruiz, but the jury is out on him until Leach finally decides to use the damn kicker!

msstate7
10-04-2020, 10:54 AM
And not having your best RB for most of the game didn't help at all.

Ark didn't either

TrapGame
10-04-2020, 11:01 AM
Ark didn't either

Ours was better.

Coach34
10-04-2020, 11:05 AM

Have perspective

I have plenty of perspective. We lost to a team that is not very good. A team that lost 4 starters last night during our game. Those are facts. Losing to a bad team playing a prevent defense all night is troubling.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-04-2020, 11:07 AM
Couple points:

on 2) and 3), if coaches copy what works and Washington's 3-8 D worked, why did Leaches' O work more often than not over 18 seasons? Either people didn't copy it, or it's hard to copy. I won't lie and say I've seen a bunch of WSU football but I feel confident Leach faced Zone more than M2M. Why some zones work and some don't is what I want to know.

5) is a big key for me. Our OL HAS to be able to move dudes out of the way for this to ever work. Not bulldoze people, but allow for 5 yard 1st down runs vs 5 men boxes is perfectly reasonable to expect of an OL with this much talent and experience

7) ultimately the D allowed 275 yards and 14 points. That's pretty good, even though our opening gameplan was HORRIBLE, it took till the 3rd quarter to adjust, the secondary didn't know their assignments, and tackling was poor. DL got after it and we played hard. Aside from Bama and OM, are there really any "good" O's on the schedule? Auburn and A&M have bad QBs and need to run to be effective, which plays into our hands. Mizzou and Vandy are just bad. UGA may not have a great O but they have a ton of talent and will completely shut down our O so that doesn't matter. I'd say Bama and OM are the only games I really feel like we will definitely get torched

I'm shocked there is no 9) about Costello having issues, or the O not having enough reps to click vs zone. All you said about the O was we need to run it better, but I felt we learned a ton about KJ's flaws and the WRs not knowing how to attack a zone

Commercecomet24
10-04-2020, 11:08 AM
One correction the Defense did force 2 turnovers, 2 fumble recoveries

HoopsDawg
10-04-2020, 11:10 AM
I have plenty of perspective. We lost to a team that is not very good. A team that lost 4 starters last night during our game. Those are facts. Losing to a bad team playing a prevent defense all night is troubling.

Why couldn't we run the ball? Is it bc every run is either a draw (and they weren't blitzing) or an inside zone? Could we not get someone to put a hat on bumper pool.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2020, 11:14 AM

Agree with all you say here.

But it's not indicative of our long term success or failure.

TNDawg35
10-04-2020, 11:15 AM
So now all of a sudden you were right all along... man 17 that shit and take it back to your high school shit. We lost cause we played like total shit. Our defense was damn good and did everything to win the game. The O didn’t. The scheme was there to make plays and Costello played about as bad as you could. He damn near singlehandedly cost is the game...

Oh and since you know every 17in thing, I guess you already know Hill got his ass benched last night for running his damn mouth to a coach after his concussion proto. THAT is the reason he didn’t come back...

Bit like I said, you already knew that...***

PendingTransaction
10-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Our run game is horrible! Pass blocking good, run blocking sucks. It's clear that it's not a priority in this offense. The lack of production in the second half showed that is offense isn't capable of running the ball effectively.

DLGDawg
10-04-2020, 11:44 AM
Our run game is horrible! Pass blocking good, run blocking sucks. It's clear that it's not a priority in this offense. The lack of production in the second half showed that is offense isn't capable of running the ball effectively.

I'm not a coach. And I don't know X's and O's.

But based on what I saw last night, Arkansas had only 1 running play to defend. Am I seeing that right??

Seems to me that more variety(for lack of a better word) is needed in the run game.
Just my $.02 worth.

Extendedcab
10-04-2020, 11:56 AM
So now all of a sudden you were right all along... man 17 that shit and take it back to your high school shit. We lost cause we played like total shit. Our defense was damn good and did everything to win the game. The O didn’t. The scheme was there to make plays and Costello played about as bad as you could. He damn near singlehandedly cost is the game...

Oh and since you know every 17in thing, I guess you already know Hill got his ass benched last night for running his damn mouth to a coach after his concussion proto. THAT is the reason he didn’t come back...

In my mind, KJ did single handily cost us the game. Even with the other screw ups, fumbled punt, we were still in a position to tie and/or win! One clear example was in Q4, we are fourth and 2 and he under throws an open receiver downfield 10 yards to the left of the line. The guy was wide open! He makes that throw 50 times in a row and this game he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Does he play better with day games, does he have night time sight issues? I ask these questions as something was obviously WRONG! The interceptions were horrible, I don't know what he was even looking at, not the other teams player, on a couple of them.

2 games and 6 turnovers, something has got to change!

Charlie_Sheen420
10-04-2020, 12:04 PM

I'm not buying for 1 second the reason Hill was benched was because he was mouthy, the dude was literally punch drunk, that was why he was pushing away trainers and such. He can say being mouthy was the reason all he wants, but he got a concussion. He may be trying to protect his NFL stock by saying it was another reason (Concerns for CTE), but the dude literally went limp for 2-3 seconds which is why he fumbled the ball, he was out. He was not coming back in regardless. Leach is always going to be very careful in regards to concussions after what went down in Lubbock with the James kid.

KOdawg1
10-04-2020, 12:04 PM
Ours was better.

Debatable

KOdawg1
10-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Our run blocking is really bad. They were able to stuff our runs with just 3 linemen.

Coach34
10-04-2020, 12:12 PM
I'm not buying for 1 second the reason Hill was benched was because he was mouthy, the dude was literally punch drunk, that was why he was pushing away trainers and such. He can say being mouthy was the reason all he wants, but he got a concussion. He may be trying to protect his NFL stock by saying it was another reason (Concerns for CTE), but the dude literally went limp for 2-3 seconds which is why he fumbled the ball, he was out. He was not coming back in regardless. Leach is always going to be very careful in regards to concussions after what went down in Lubbock with the James kid.

exactly

dawgday166
10-04-2020, 12:15 PM
In my mind, KJ did single handily cost us the game. Even with the other screw ups, fumbled punt, we were still in a position to tie and/or win! One clear example was in Q4, we are fourth and 2 and he under throws an open receiver downfield 10 yards to the left of the line. The guy was wide open! He makes that throw 50 times in a row and this game he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Does he play better with day games, does he have night time sight issues? I ask these questions as something was obviously WRONG! The interceptions were horrible, I don't know what he was even looking at, not the other teams player, on a couple of them.

Number 1 rule of QB play: Take care of the ball.

Bothrops
10-04-2020, 12:23 PM
If i remember correctly both of the Arkansas touchdowns on offense were with guys standing sans coverage in the endzone....so much so they could have been swinging an anchor chain around and not hit anybody. KJ is gonna have to earn my faith back going forward. The awfulness of his game last night was just overwhelming. I'm pessimistic about him overcoming those demons. Our young running backs look very good, but our OL cannot help them. They are on their own. The front seven on D played so hard in the second half and deserved a change in fortune. That said, I do believe our days of beating Arkansas are behind us for a while.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2020, 12:54 PM
As always in sports it comes down to execution. And we didn't execute. The plays were there to be made. We had guys open and kJ made some poor throws or got impatient and didn't take what was there.We were inside their 30 4 times and came away with zero points,. KJ has to play better. There are tons of teams in college and nfl running air raid and have been for years. If it was as simple as dropping 8 and rushing 3 everyone would be stopping it and no one would be using it. It's strictly a matter of execution, kJ sucked last night if he doesn't play better yeah we will struggle but I believe he'll play better going forward. Remember no spring practice and not a whole lot of fall practice so everyone's still learning. Show a little patience.

Jarius
10-04-2020, 01:11 PM
Odom didn’t learn and adjust to anything. He did the same thing when he played Leach before in the big 12 and it worked then. Kylin would have made a huge difference but KJ lost the football game. Throwing a pick 6 and however many other interceptions he had just because he got impatient and didn’t want to dink and dunk cost us the game. That and not putting his body on the line for the team in the 4th quarter which is 100% unacceptable. Our defense played their hearts out. There are a lot of assholes on here that owe them an apology.

Coach34
10-04-2020, 01:15 PM
As always in sports it comes down to execution. And we didn't execute. The plays were there to be made. We had guys open and kJ made some poor throws or got impatient and didn't take what was there.We were inside their 30 4 times and came away with zero points,. KJ has to play better. There are tons of teams in college and nfl running air raid and have been for years. If it was as simple as dropping 8 and rushing 3 everyone would be stopping it and no one would be using it. It's strictly a matter of execution, kJ sucked last night if he doesn't play better yeah we will struggle but I believe he'll play better going forward. Remember no spring practice and not a whole lot of fall practice so everyone's still learning. Show a little patience.

1. People run Air Raid concepts- they dont run what Leach runs. Lincoln Riley is a perfect example. He employs some of what Leach does along with innovative RPO's and a good run game.
2. SEC defenses have more speed- their reaction times are quicker- making it tougher to exploit the zones when a team drops 8.
3. KJ was 43/59 last night. Thats damn good. He obviously took alot of what was given to him. The problem was the RB's caught 18 passes and were tackled immediately when they did. They dropped 8 and tackled well- eliminating big plays. By doing that- we are bound to mess up before going 13-15 plays to score. We ran 84 plays to UPig' 65 last night
4. Lastly- to the "why didnt everybody do it to Leach then?" people- some teams in the Big 12 and Pac 12 dont have enough speed on D. They werent able to keep the RB's hemmed up or a LB was unable to cover well enough in his zone and got exploited. Or the DC wasnt patient enough to stay with it and gambled some with blitzes. Auburn, Bama, Georgia, and A&M have the people on D to do it well. We'll see what weaknesses we can find vs Mississippi, Kentucky, Vandy, and Mizzou. It's been proven by Washington and now UPig that it works vs Leach.

Goldendawg
10-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Next book by Leach,"Live By the Sword , Die By the Sword". I still don't think we can win in the SEC throwing 60 or more times a day. Even Tommy Stevens could tuck the ball and run hard when it was there. Arky D, nor anyone else I'm afraid will respect or worry about his ability to run. He looks afraid of contact, but added to that by being extremely slow. I don't want another transfer non-Sec QB. Develop SEC caliber players. Having him play like this will be a wasted year, unless Rodgers gets PT if he can recover.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2020, 01:24 PM
1. People run Air Raid concepts- they dont run what Leach runs. Lincoln Riley is a perfect example. He employs some of what Leach does along with innovative RPO's and a good run game.
2. SEC defenses have more speed- their reaction times are quicker- making it tougher to exploit the zones when a team drops 8.
3. KJ was 43/59 last night. Thats damn good. He obviously took alot of what was given to him. The problem was the RB's caught 18 passes and were tackled immediately when they did. They dropped 8 and tackled well- eliminating big plays. By doing that- we are bound to mess up before going 13-15 plays to score. We ran 84 plays to UPig' 65 last night
4. Lastly- to the "why didnt everybody do it to Leach then?" people- some teams in the Big 12 and Pac 12 dont have enough speed on D. They werent able to keep the RB's hemmed up or a LB was unable to cover well enough in his zone and got exploited. Or the DC wasnt patient enough to stay with it and gambled some with blitzes. Auburn, Bama, Georgia, and A&M have the people on D to do it well. We'll see what weaknesses we can find vs Mississippi, Kentucky, Vandy, and Mizzou. It's been proven by Washington and now UPig that it works vs Leach.

kJ completion percentage was good but that doesn't tell the full story. The ints were terrible, the empty trips inside arky territory were terrible. He didn't make the plays in situations where they needed to be made to win the game. We'll see if we can adjust and win games. I want to see it play out, if we can't win then there's plenty of time to bitch about it.

Goldendawg
10-04-2020, 01:29 PM
I know that it will never happen due to protecting QB's, but once a QB breaks the line of scrimmage he should be considered a running back. As the original Jack Lambert said, "Might as Well Put a Dress on them". RB's one set of rules, QB runs forever can slid and if touched by defense a penalty to boot.

Goldendawg
10-04-2020, 01:34 PM
kJ completion percentage was good but that doesn't tell the full story. The ints were terrible, the empty trips inside arky territory were terrible. He didn't make the plays in situations where they needed to be made to win the game. We'll see if we can adjust and win games. I want to see it play out, if we can't win then there's plenty of time to bitch about it.

About 18 checkdowns to RB in front of 8 men in coverage made me think of Croome's "West Coast Offense" with little to no YAC. I didn't expect 600 yards passing a game, but last night was hard to watch.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2020, 01:36 PM
About 18 checkdowns to RB in front of 8 men in coverage made me think of Croome's "West Coast Offense" with little to no YAC. I didn't expect 600 yards passing a game, but last night was hard to watch.

Yeah it was crappy no doubt.

pilldawg
10-04-2020, 02:03 PM

No matter the scheme. All defenses mentioned above would likely stop our offense.

maroonmania
10-04-2020, 02:15 PM

We ran it plenty last night. We just weren't very effective running when we did. Can't really remember more than maybe one run over 10 yards all night for us. Our main problem right now is that we can't drive the field at 5 yards per clip without screwing up through turnover, penalty, errant throws, etc. Arkansas was betting on that last night and won the bet.

WinningIsRelentless
10-04-2020, 02:25 PM
We ran it plenty last night. We just weren't very effective running when we did. Can't really remember more than maybe one run over 10 yards all night for us. Our main problem right now is that we can't drive the field at 5 yards per clip without screwing up through turnover, penalty, errant throws, etc. Arkansas was betting on that last night and won the bet.

Our problem last night and maybe for the rest of the year is we were playing 5 vs 8. You aren?t ever going to win playing 5 guys to their 8. This is a product of a QB who isn?t physical and doesn?t want to run it.

If Leach is smart we would see a lot more of Garrett in slot and motion him in besides KJ and do some RPO off of that look.

the_real_MSU_is_us
10-04-2020, 02:47 PM
We had 400 yards of O last night. That's not great but it's perfectly fine. You should expect 21-28 points on that.

Problem is we wasted a hundred of it with turnovers, and passes up 6 points by going for it. Even then we'd be tied without a pick 6. And we'd easily have 30+ more yards if Kylin didn't get hurt.

Not sunshine pumping, I think the future is pretty bleak actually. But we did move the ball decently... we just kept shooting ourselves in the foot. The narrative that the O sucked is false

maroonmania
10-04-2020, 03:12 PM
We had 400 yards of O last night. That's not great but it's perfectly fine. You should expect 21-28 points on that.

Problem is we wasted a hundred of it with turnovers, and passes up 6 points by going for it. Even then we'd be tied without a pick 6. And we'd easily have 30+ more yards if Kylin didn't get hurt.

Not sunshine pumping, I think the future is pretty bleak actually. But we did move the ball decently... we just kept shooting ourselves in the foot. The narrative that the O sucked is false

As Tim Tebow said on SEC Nation yesterday, yards can be a very meaningless stat. Turnovers, red zone scoring efficiency, defensive red zone efficiency are all way more important. And those were the things that killed us last night. What does it matter if you drive 75 yards if you just turn it over on downs inside the opponent's 10 yard line?

Commercecomet24
10-04-2020, 03:46 PM
As Tim Tebow said on SEC Nation yesterday, yards can be a very meaningless stat. Turnovers, red zone scoring efficiency, defensive red zone efficiency are all way more important. And those were the things that killed us last night. What does it matter if you drive 75 yards if you just turn it over on downs inside the opponent's 10 yard line?

Yep it always comes down to who wins in situational football. Third downs, fourth downs, red zone, turnover margin, etc. we lost just about every one of those last night and arky was efficient in those situations

Todd4State
10-04-2020, 05:33 PM

Yep. The most important stat is points scored and for defense points allowed.

Todd4State
10-04-2020, 05:34 PM

Yep.

SheltonChoked
10-04-2020, 05:39 PM

I'm sure your teams never overlook and opponent.

Just as shocked you didn't have an excuse to post this late in the afternoon like last week.

Coach34
10-04-2020, 06:08 PM
I'm sure your teams never overlook and opponent.

Just as shocked you didn't have an excuse to post this late in the afternoon like last week.

As coaches we always fight that battle. What I do with my guys that play in the Fun-N-Gun- is challenge them by talking about "stat games". We work to accomplish goals every Friday no matter who the opponent is- 40 points, 400 yards, 0 turnovers, etc. It's amazing to see kids work in a week they know they are playing an inferior opponent when you talk to them about being a 100 yard WR, 150 yard rusher, 250 yard passer, etc. Edited to add- it's ridiculous that you think we were looking past UPig because we wanted Kentucky so bad. We didnt overlook them- we got outcoached and outplayed.

In what world is 1:15pm "late afternoon"? I posted last week about 2 hours after I woke up, same today

FISHDAWG
10-05-2020, 07:46 AM
I'm not ready to give up on KJ because I think he settles in and learns from past games but I AM READY to see some helicopter moves if that is what it takes to get a first down ... we need a G Schrader package for special situations
ETA - meant to respond to original post

Matt3467
10-05-2020, 07:58 AM
Our run blocking is really bad. They were able to stuff our runs with just 3 linemen.

I don't think it was our run blocking as much as it was who we had running the ball. Johnson was the better of the two but he isn't an SEC starter. Marks is just another Holloway. We apparently lack talent behind Hill. Hill would've done great vs that scheme. Any other starting RB and most of the backups we've had the last decade here (outside of maybe Shumpert and Holloway) would've had a great game.

TrapGame
10-05-2020, 09:08 AM
I don't think it was our run blocking as much as it was who we had running the ball. Johnson was the better of the two but he isn't an SEC starter. Marks is just another Holloway. We apparently lack talent behind Hill. Hill would've done great vs that scheme. Any other starting RB and most of the backups we've had the last decade here (outside of maybe Shumpert and Holloway) would've had a great game.

A few dump passes to Hill in that vacant 5 yard no man's land would have gotten Odom's attention.

KOdawg1
10-05-2020, 09:29 AM

Our running backs are fine. Marks and Johnson are going to be really good. Your swinging and missing big time on Marks

Matt3467
10-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Our running backs are fine. Marks and Johnson are going to be really good. Your swinging and missing big time on Marks

I hope so.

defiantdog
10-05-2020, 10:49 AM
So 2 true freshmen need to be All SEC in their second game ever in an MSU Jersey? What?! Yes, we lack run blocking skills on the OL, but when was the last time they actually prepared as a group in run blocking. They practice non-stop on dropping off the ball in pass protection. Give these guys more reps before you pass judgement. And Marks is not Holloway. But he's also not a 4th and 1, up the middle, with no push from the OL back. Hill would've probably danced around on that play and people like you would've said something about Hill dancing too much. There's a reason you comment on message boards and don't coach SEC caliber players.

BB30
10-05-2020, 11:14 AM

Just had a bad game. You're inferring too much. It happens and tends to happen quite a bit with teams coming off a big win. We will beat the cats by 2 TDs this weekend.

HancockCountyDog
10-05-2020, 11:46 AM
This quote concerns me :

?Coach Odom?s unbelievable,? said Pool, who had 20 tackles Saturday. ?... We knew what they were going to do before every play.?

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/10/sec-winners-and-losers-of-week-2.html

msstate7
10-05-2020, 11:48 AM
This quote concerns me :

?Coach Odom?s unbelievable,? said Pool, who had 20 tackles Saturday. ?... We knew what they were going to do before every play.?

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/10/sec-winners-and-losers-of-week-2.html

Yikes. If that is true, this experiment may be short lived.

KOdawg1
10-05-2020, 11:49 AM
This quote concerns me :

Not that hard to do when we only have 18-20 base plays, and 90% of them are passing plays. Gotta be super precise and execute

TrapGame
10-05-2020, 11:52 AM
This quote concerns me :

If Kentucky has the same success then I'll be concerned.

KOdawg1
10-05-2020, 11:58 AM
Yikes. If that is true, this experiment may be short lived.

Makes you wonder if we're tipping our plays at the LOS when KJ is relaying the play. Might need to change some of our verbiage and disguise some stuff.

Jarius
10-05-2020, 12:19 PM

Marks went down on first contact way too much. He didn’t play well. Kylin Hill not playing is a huge factor in us losing the game. It should not have come down to that, but it was a huge factor. The first drive changed immediately after he came out of the game. They would have been out of that 5 man box in the second series if Kylin played all day.

KOdawg1
10-05-2020, 12:24 PM
Marks went down on first contact way too much. He didn’t play well. Kylin Hill not playing is a huge factor in us losing the game. It should not have come down to that, but it was a huge factor. The first drive changed immediately after he came out of the game. They would have been out of that 5 man box in the second series if Kylin played all day.

I'm not saying Kylin coming out wasn't a big deal. It was. He's a better back than Marks and Johnson. But the poster was implying that they're not talented, that Johnson isn't an SEC player, and Marks is "Brandon Holloway." That's just completely premature considering they've played 2 college games. Marks is good in space. Johnson is tough. They're going to be really good backs for us in the future.

Matt3467
10-05-2020, 12:25 PM

Yes. Johnson was better.

Matt3467
10-05-2020, 12:31 PM
So 2 true freshmen need to be All SEC in their second game ever in an MSU Jersey? What?! Yes, we lack run blocking skills on the OL, but when was the last time they actually prepared as a group in run blocking. They practice non-stop on dropping off the ball in pass protection. Give these guys more reps before you pass judgement. And Marks is not Holloway. But he's also not a 4th and 1, up the middle, with no push from the OL back. Hill would've probably danced around on that play and people like you would've said something about Hill dancing too much. There's a reason you comment on message boards and don't coach SEC caliber players.

Where did I state they needed to be All-SEC? The run blocking isn't the glaring problem you're making it out to be especially when AR rushed 3 and dropped 8 all night. Those runs rarely got passed the LOS. I have no desire to coach but I have two eyes and as a fan I know what I saw was reminiscent of Holloway. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

confucius say
10-05-2020, 12:53 PM

Our OL was not getting to the second level at all. Against a 3 man front. Were not even trying. Just handling the down 3 or 4.

basedog
10-05-2020, 01:02 PM
Ky nose tackle is a beast, better keep him in check or KJ will be having nightmares I'm afraid.

I see KY controlling the LOS running the ball, I just hope we can answer and score, I see a OM-Ky type game again.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2020, 01:30 PM
1. I'd like to be the first to welcome many of you back to reality, but our team and your OM friends have already done that for most of you.

2. When I talked repeatedly about the Leach experiment and if it would work in the SEC, I wasnt just pulling a statement out of my ass. This is the best league in America with the best athletes. Great coaches as well. People that get open in the Pac 12 and Big Ten dont get as open in the SEC. Same with the Big 12. We have now seen 2 extremes vs Leach- M2M Blitz constantly and Rush 3 drop 8 zone. Coaches adjust. Coaches copycat others. Word spreads quickly today.

3. UPig's rush 3 drop 8 plan was copycatted from Washington. Thats the way they played against Leach every year after he beat them in his 1st year in Pullman. After Washington switched to the Rush 3 Drop 8 style against Leach- he never scored 20 against them again. 17, 13, 10, 14, 15, 13 the last 6 games. We are about to see a whole lot of it the rest of this season from teams that have better defenses than the Pigs. All UPig did all night was move their front from playing the ends wide to sliding them inside into a Tite front (404). Thats it. It wasnt rocket surgery- it was "I dare you to throw it 60 times tonight". Well, we did.

4. Hill getting hurt obviously played a major factor. He took a shot to the head and then landed hard on his head. We got away with the fumble there. It looked like he may have even been knocked out for a second. I'm sure he has to go thru concussion protocol but he didnt look bad when they showed him in the 2nd half. Not having him running the ball vs that D certainly helped UPig continue to stay in it. The other guys played ok and made some good cuts- but they arent Hill. Is Witherspoon still on the roster? He looked good for a freshman last year. Amazing he cant even get a carry this year

5. I was surprised our OL didnt take over in the 2nd half. We started being patient and ran the ball some in the 2nd Q and they were hammering their DL. Looked like we would wear them down but never did. They outplayed us in the 2nd half and we didnt even average 4 ypc. Only 1 sack in 61 pass attempts is good- but considering they only rushed 3- it's expected.

6. On the Pick 6- the WR turned his head just as KJ threw the ball, I guess to check where he was on the field. He wasnt even looking and that led to the easy pick- very similar to Fitz's 1st pick at LSU in 2018. Helluva catch by Payton on the TD. 18 catches by the RB's is too many for this offense. It means we are having to check down way too often.

7. Just as many thought, our D has been pretty good against the run. They got us early with some power read, but we adjusted. Another really good goalline stand against their goalline offense. We are doing a good job so far of confusing OL's. We slanted the DL to the short side of the field and looped a LB from the middle around the edge for a sack last night. Usually takes too long for that to work- but it worked last night. UPig made us look bad on a couple of drives but overall a solid performance on D. Franks was 20/28 though and we didnt force any turnovers. The two blown coverages on the fake screens were big. But the bottom line is the D played well enough to win

8. People got mad at me last week for saying we need to run it more. Now you all have seen why. Leach is very smart and smarter than me. But I know you have to run vs a 5 man box. You have to. There just arent that many throwing windows vs an SEC defense dropping 8. Hell, we even got a 4 man box some. We didnt play a bigtime D last night folks. That was an average SEC D. We got some folks coming up on the schedule with much better DL's than UPig. Now that the blueprint has made it's way to the SEC- I'm curious to see how many copycat DC's there are. Some guys are hardheaded like Pellini and wont change because "this is what we do" (much like Leach). But some DC's are coaching whores and will do whatever it takes.

HailState

Yep, to all of it.

Jarius
10-05-2020, 02:38 PM
I'm not saying Kylin coming out wasn't a big deal. It was. He's a better back than Marks and Johnson. But the poster was implying that they're not talented, that Johnson isn't an SEC player, and Marks is "Brandon Holloway." That's just completely premature considering they've played 2 college games. Marks is good in space. Johnson is tough. They're going to be really good backs for us in the future.

Marks has been less than impressive through 2 weeks. I know he’s a true freshman and will get better but he was extremely overhyped to this point. He’s not an SEC back right now. Dylan has looked better to me (and he’s not exactly what Leach needs).

Cooterpoot
10-05-2020, 02:48 PM
Marks and Johnson will be good together. Johnson looks a lot like Kylin to me. Marks is quick.

Cooterpoot
10-05-2020, 02:50 PM

You way wrong. Johnson is going to be a Star. Marks has a lot of flexibility in his game.

Commercecomet24
10-05-2020, 02:55 PM
You way wrong. Johnson is going to be a Star. Marks has a lot of flexibility in his game.

I love the way Johnson runs. Dude has great vision and runs hard and makes decisive, quick cuts and gets north and south in a hurry. That td run was a thing of beauty! He saw the hole wasn't there, bounced it and got upfield in a hurry and then a lot of effort to finish and get in the end zone. He looks like hes going to be a stud!

Coach34
10-05-2020, 02:56 PM

Still baffling that Spoon can?t even touch the field now

Percho
10-05-2020, 03:20 PM
RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
J. Marks 2 13 54 2 52 4.0 0 11 26.0
Kylin Hill 2 8 41 0 41 5.1 0 12 20.5
Dillon Johnson 2 9 39 0 39 4.3 1 9 19.5
TEAM 2 1 0 2 -2 -2.0 0 0 -1.0
K.J. Costello 2 9 15 49 -34 -3.8 0 7 -17.0
Total.......... 0 40 149 53 96 2.4 1 12 0.0
Opponents...... 0 75 228 85 143 1.9 0 12 0.0

KOdawg1
10-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Marks has been less than impressive through 2 weeks. I know he’s a true freshman and will get better but he was extremely overhyped to this point. He’s not an SEC back right now. Dylan has looked better to me (and he’s not exactly what Leach needs).

2 weeks. KJ Costello looked like a million bucks in game 1 and then like a turd burger in game 2.

Percho
10-05-2020, 03:42 PM
2 weeks. KJ Costello looked like a million bucks in game 1 and then like a turd burger in game 2.

Arkansas 43-59-3 72.9 313 1 34 1-11 112.87

We adv 7.2 yards per pass Take the int move them to the comp col with 7.2 per we don't give up the pick 6 probably win the game for we would have kicked at least 1 FG and I would say that was a better game than the LSU game.

That is how close he is to great in all our eyes.

KOdawg1
10-05-2020, 03:55 PM
Arkansas 43-59-3 72.9 313 1 34 1-11 112.87

We adv 7.2 yards per pass Take the int move them to the comp col with 7.2 per we don't give up the pick 6 probably win the game for we would have kicked at least 1 FG and I would say that was a better game than the LSU game.

That is how close he is to great in all our eyes.
If you take the turd off of a turd burger, then it's not a turd burger anymore. But you can't do that. The interceptions happened. That's like saying if you replace a hitter's strikeouts with home runs, then they'd be a good baseball player. Well yeah..

Hot Rock
10-05-2020, 04:08 PM

I think I know why so many coaches can't fathom this offense working. It's because they have no clue how to coach this offense to be successful themselves. Therefore, no one can do it.

It's the practice and repetitions and perfect execution that makes this offense click and without near flawless execution this offense can fail even against bad teams.

If you think this past week is troubling so soon in the process then you probably won't have the stomach to see it through or give Leech the support he needs to make it happen.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2020, 04:16 PM
Marks and Johnson will be good together. Johnson looks a lot like Kylin to me. Marks is quick.

I don't agree. Johnson doesn't have nearly the quickness of Kylin. Looks like a short yardage power back to me. Marks is the guy

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2020, 04:17 PM

Goodness what are you looking at?

I've thought Marks looks great

Captain Falcon
10-05-2020, 04:21 PM
I thought Marks was impressive in the small doses we saw him against LSU. Less so against Arkansas but he still looked fine. Johnson didn't do much against LSU but impressed me on Saturday.

Those two are a good stable of backs to work with for the next four years.

Hot Rock
10-05-2020, 04:49 PM

I can see that. Croom's West Coast offense failed due to poor execution just like State did Saturday. I say it's not because the West Coast offense doesn't work. The West Coast offense is extremely successful and many a team still employ lots of those concepts with lots of YAC. So, is the air raid and lots of teams in the NFL and around college football are using the concepts and winning with them.

Croom lost and kept losing. Croom did not have the ability to teach the West Coast to college players. Bailing on Leech's ability to teach an effective air raid offense SEC after one bad week is a bad idea. I think his plan of a simple to understand offense and perfected through repetition will work, even in the SEC. While one week reminded me of Croom, I can see the possibilities as well.

Will KJ end up being the QB we thought? Maybe not, but I am betting Leech will have a winning program in Starkville using the Air Raid offense before it's all said and done. We all got caught up in the hype because they beat LSU but this group really has been thrown together and to expect it working without taking some lumps was wrong.

He started in the SEC and it worked then and it will now. There is less of a talent difference now with State vs the big boys than KY vs the big boys when he was there. I say, give him a chance to make it work. It's going to take more than one pandemic offseason to get this thing rolling.

Jarius
10-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Goodness what are you looking at?

I've thought Marks looks great

His 3.7 ypc against a 3 man front and his blown blocking assignments. What the hell are you looking at? He is one of if not the main factor Outside of KJ that we lost the football game. He goes down as soon as he is touched and he made zero people miss a tackle. He was awful. He will get in the weight room and get bigger and faster but he has no business playing right now.

Todd4State
10-05-2020, 10:05 PM
I can see that. Croom's West Coast offense failed due to poor execution just like State did Saturday. I say it's not because the West Coast offense doesn't work. The West Coast offense is extremely successful and many a team still employ lots of those concepts with lots of YAC. So, is the air raid and lots of teams in the NFL and around college football are using the concepts and winning with them.

Croom lost and kept losing. Croom did not have the ability to teach the West Coast to college players. Bailing on Leech's ability to teach an effective air raid offense SEC after one bad week is a bad idea. I think his plan of a simple to understand offense and perfected through repetition will work, even in the SEC. While one week reminded me of Croom, I can see the possibilities as well.

Will KJ end up being the QB we thought? Maybe not, but I am betting Leech will have a winning program in Starkville using the Air Raid offense before it's all said and done. We all got caught up in the hype because they beat LSU but this group really has been thrown together and to expect it working without taking some lumps was wrong.

He started in the SEC and it worked then and it will now. There is less of a talent difference now with State vs the big boys than KY vs the big boys when he was there. I say, give him a chance to make it work. It's going to take more than one pandemic offseason to get this thing rolling.

Outstanding post!

I think in the long run we are going to win big. We have more resources than Leach has ever had before which has allowed him to attract a legit DC. On top of that the attention MSU football has been getting has been the most since Dak was our QB- so when we do win big it's going to be an incredible experience.

Bothrops
10-05-2020, 10:28 PM
Marks has been less than impressive through 2 weeks. I know he’s a true freshman and will get better but he was extremely overhyped to this point. He’s not an SEC back right now.

I can't understand how you could come to this conclusion. Marks is a stud. We can't run block a fired up defense. May not can run block many defenses on this schedule.

Cooterpoot
10-05-2020, 11:14 PM
I don't agree. Johnson doesn't have nearly the quickness of Kylin. Looks like a short yardage power back to me. Marks is the guy

Johnson is faster than Kylin. He broke Saquan Barkley's Nike Opening camp record score. He's a workout freak like Kylin too.

Commercecomet24
10-05-2020, 11:37 PM
Johnson is faster than Kylin. He broke Saquan Barkley's Nike Opening camp record score. He's a workout freak like Kylin too.

This. I've seen Johnson up close. He can go.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-06-2020, 05:11 AM
Funny how we put it all on KJ when before the season started, WR was one of the biggest concerns. Do our WR's have a clue how to beat a zone or where the holes are? Looking at past performance and coaching, I would say no.

Jarius
10-06-2020, 07:03 AM
I can't understand how you could come to this conclusion. Marks is a stud. We can't run block a fired up defense. May not can run block many defenses on this schedule.

I watched the game. I watch Kylin run, and then I watch Marks run. One is an sec back and one has to get better to become one. Kylin won’t have any issues running behind this offensive line. He’s averaging over 5ypc against a much better DL (LSU who actually put more people in the box) and ran for 7 yards in his 1 carry against Arkansas. Marks averaged 3.7 ypc against a 3 man rush. He is the problem.

Bothrops
10-06-2020, 07:16 AM
I watched the game. I watch Kylin run, and then I watch Marks run. One is an sec back and one has to get better to become one. Kylin won’t have any issues running behind this offensive line. He’s averaging over 5ypc against a much better DL (LSU) and ran for 7 yards in his 1 carry against Arkansas. Marks averaged 3.7 ypc against a 3 man rush. He is the problem.

So you're saying a true freshman isn't as matured or seasoned as a senior? But somehow, Marks averaged 5ypc against LSU.

Cooterpoot
10-06-2020, 07:32 AM
Funny how we put it all on KJ when before the season started, WR was one of the biggest concerns. Do our WR's have a clue how to beat a zone or where the holes are? Looking at past performance and coaching, I would say no.

There were open receivers a lot, but yes, they need to improve.

KOdawg1
10-06-2020, 07:39 AM
I watched the game. I watch Kylin run, and then I watch Marks run. One is an sec back and one has to get better to become one. Kylin won’t have any issues running behind this offensive line. He’s averaging over 5ypc against a much better DL (LSU who actually put more people in the box) and ran for 7 yards in his 1 carry against Arkansas. Marks averaged 3.7 ypc against a 3 man rush. He is the problem.

One is a senior; the other is a true freshman

SheltonChoked
10-06-2020, 08:12 AM
As coaches we always fight that battle. What I do with my guys that play in the Fun-N-Gun- is challenge them by talking about "stat games". We work to accomplish goals every Friday no matter who the opponent is- 40 points, 400 yards, 0 turnovers, etc. It's amazing to see kids work in a week they know they are playing an inferior opponent when you talk to them about being a 100 yard WR, 150 yard rusher, 250 yard passer, etc. Edited to add- it's ridiculous that you think we were looking past UPig because we wanted Kentucky so bad. We didnt overlook them- we got outcoached and outplayed.

In what world is 1:15pm "late afternoon"? I posted last week about 2 hours after I woke up, same today

I didn't say we "looked past Ark to Kentucky" you illiterate hillbilly. I said we overlooked them. As in we thought we could sleepwalk through an SEC game and win.

We got "out coached and outplayed" because KJ read too much of his own press, after he set the SEC record in his first SEC game. He thought it was always going to be easy.

But you twist it into whatever you have to.

Matt3467
10-06-2020, 08:48 AM
I didn't say we "looked past Ark to Kentucky" you illiterate hillbilly. I said we overlooked them. As in we thought we could sleepwalk through an SEC game and win.

We got "out coached and outplayed" because KJ read too much of his own press, after he set the SEC record in his first SEC game. He thought it was always going to be easy.

But you twist it into whatever you have to.

Nice. Some people on here can't make a point without name calling and acting like children.

Jarius
10-06-2020, 08:57 AM
So you're saying a true freshman isn't as matured or seasoned as a senior? But somehow, Marks averaged 5ypc against LSU.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. He shouldn't be playing, but Joe Moorhead didn't do his job in the recruiting process for 2 years and here we are having to start a true freshman.

Jarius
10-06-2020, 08:58 AM
One is a senior; the other is a true freshman

I'm tracking that. It doesn't take away from the fact that he was the problem. He shouldn't have to play this year. It's not his fault. But he is playing and it's a problem.

Cooterpoot
10-06-2020, 09:41 AM
I'm tracking that. It doesn't take away from the fact that he was the problem. He shouldn't have to play this year. It's not his fault. But he is playing and it's a problem.

It's a free year to get experience that will be huge next year. We've got older RBs that can't get in the field because our younger guys are better. Going to be a lot of transfers after the season. Not just at RB.

Jarius
10-06-2020, 11:39 AM
It's a free year to get experience that will be huge next year. We've got older RBs that can't get in the field because our younger guys are better. Going to be a lot of transfers after the season. Not just at RB.

That doesn’t take away from the fact it’s currently an issue. Ask the coaches who have and will continue to get fired this year if it’s free. The players don’t look at it as free either.

Cooterpoot
10-06-2020, 11:53 AM
That doesn’t take away from the fact it’s currently an issue. Ask the coaches who have and will continue to get fired this year if it’s free. The players don’t look at it as free either.

Freshmen look at that way when they normally would be redshirting. We get to redshirt players while playing them if the player wants the extra year. And Leach isn't getting fired. I'm not worried about other coaches. This year was never expected to be a great year. Next year will be better and in two years we should start rolling. "Should"

Jarius
10-06-2020, 12:09 PM
Freshmen look at that way when they normally would be redshirting. We get to redshirt players while playing them if the player wants the extra year. And Leach isn't getting fired. I'm not worried about other coaches. This year was never expected to be a great year. Next year will be better and in two years we should start rolling. "Should"

I realize all of that, but last week we were on top of the world and this week it's "a free year". I love Leach and can't wait for this weekend's game. Sounds like sour grapes to say it's a free year.

SheltonChoked
10-06-2020, 12:47 PM
Nice. Some people on here can't make a point without name calling and acting like children.
LOL You are calling out me? For "Name calling and acting like a child , in response to Coach 34??

Have you never read an MSU message board before? Coach34 has called more people names than Trump. It's literally why he was kicked of all the other message Boards, and why he was banned here.

Welcome to the board.

Coach34
10-07-2020, 08:35 AM
LOL You are calling out me? For "Name calling and acting like a child , in response to Coach 34??

Have you never read an MSU message board before? Coach34 has called more people names than Trump. It's literally why he was kicked of all the other message Boards, and why he was banned here.

Welcome to the board.

What message board was I kicked off of for name-calling? The only one I?m banned on is Sixpack and that?s because I told them all goodbye when we started Elite. If you are going to lie- at least make it believable please

SheltonChoked
10-07-2020, 10:03 AM
What message board was I kicked off of for name-calling? The only one I?m banned on is Sixpack and that?s because I told them all goodbye when we started Elite. If you are going to lie- at least make it believable please

You were banned by HD6 in early 2009 for name calling and being an asshole. Dawgstudent let you back after you groveled and begged. I can find the posts if you want.

As i recall, that was not your only banning, including on this board.

Cooterpoot
10-07-2020, 10:17 AM
I realize all of that, but last week we were on top of the world and this week it's "a free year". I love Leach and can't wait for this weekend's game. Sounds like sour grapes to say it's a free year.

Not what I meant. I'm just saying those freshmen are good enough to beat out older guys AND they get a free year if they want it.
Those FR aren't why we lost.

Offshore Dawg
10-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Is the dick measuring contest over yet ????

Maroonthirteen
10-08-2020, 10:11 AM
Still baffling that Spoon can?t even touch the field now

I saw him once in the game vs Ark. 3rd Q. 2nd and 2. We ran a two back set. We faked the handoff to Spoon and threw a swing pass to Johnson or Marks.

Only play I saw that formation or Spoon.

Jarius
10-08-2020, 10:33 AM
Not what I meant. I'm just saying those freshmen are good enough to beat out older guys AND they get a free year if they want it.
Those FR aren't why we lost.

They are beating out guys that obviously aren’t very good, because Marks isn’t very good right now. KJ was the main reason we lost, but The tailback position was probably 2nd or 3rd on the list (unless you count Leach)

FISHDAWG
10-09-2020, 02:21 PM
and the cherry on top is the fact that Joe Moorehead's offense score a total of 106 points in his two games against Arky .... what the hell happened Mike?

TrapGame
10-09-2020, 03:31 PM
and the cherry on top is the fact that Joe Moorehead's offense score a total of 106 points in his two games against Arky .... what the hell happened Mike?

Barry Odom.

basedog
10-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Barry Odom.

Yes and I think our wideouts are in 101 class learning this offense. Same for KJ, let's hope we learned from our mistakes and they are corrected going forward. Oh, let's hope the O Line gets nasty this weekend.