PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Trask

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 07:24 AM
Boy there is a lot of hype about this guy right now.

Heisman front runner, some NFL media are putting him in the 1st round of the NFL, etc.... and it's all BS.

He's not even as talented as Jake Fromm or Dak. At best he's Ryan Fitzpatrick in the NFL. Isn't a natural passer, only has average accuracy, & isn't mobile enough for it to matter.

He's a 4th-5th round talent that is being propped up by career achievement. I guess he's a good decision maker which may increase his draft stock by a round.

So, I'll say 3rd round. Either way, he's an over hyped blue blood QB & I actually appreciate him, but he is what he is.

https://twitter.com/SDS/status/1311827471726149634?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kVzfl6MwOE

FISHDAWG
10-02-2020, 07:34 AM
He laid 50 on OM so he's ok in my book

smootness
10-02-2020, 07:37 AM
Mullen is a truly incredible QB coach.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 07:39 AM
He laid 50 on OM so he's ok in my book

I didn't say he wasn't good. He's a solid college QB, but he's not what people are making him out to be.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 07:39 AM
Mullen is a truly incredible QB coach.

He really is. He and Leach are the best 2 and they do it in completely different ways.

StarkVegasSteve
10-02-2020, 07:40 AM
Boy there is a lot of hype about this guy right now.

Heisman front runner, some NFL media are putting him in the 1st round of the NFL, etc.... and it's all BS.

He's not even as talented as Jake Fromm or Dak. At best he's Ryan Fitzpatrick in the NFL. Isn't a natural passer, only has average accuracy, & isn't mobile enough for it to matter.

He's a 4th-5th talent that is being propped up by career achievement. I guess he's a good decision maker which may increase his draft stock by a round.

So, I'll say 3rd round. Either way, he's an over hyped blue blood QB & I actually appreciate him, but he is what he is.

https://twitter.com/SDS/status/1311827471726149634?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kVzfl6MwOE

Yea...….this is a TERRIBLE take. Kyle Trask is absolutely a gamer. He's much better than Dak at that point in their careers and is probably on par with Fromm. That kid can play. He just needed a chance. On top of all that, he's got the QB Whisperer as his coach. He's gonna play on Sundays.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 07:42 AM
Yea...….this is a TERRIBLE take. Kyle Trask is absolutely a gamer. He's much better than Dak at that point in their careers and is probably on par with Fromm. That kid can play. He just needed a chance. On top of all that, he's got the QB Whisperer as his coach. He's gonna play on Sundays.

He's not better than Dak at this point in his career. He is however playing with better talent than Dak ever had. Dak was way more mobile and led the nation in TD/INT ratio his SR year.

Fromm was a 5th rounder. So the idea that he's as good as Fromm kind of makes my point.

So what exactly is TERRIBLE about my take?

He's simply nowhere near a 1st round QB talent

Maroonthirteen
10-02-2020, 07:52 AM
He is a talented passing QB. However that #84 for Florida made many plays. Even in double coverage. It will be interesting when Florida plays a team that has defensive talent to cover that guy and put more pressure on Trask.

As for the Heisman, If a QB wins it.... it should be a dual threat QB.

StarkVegasSteve
10-02-2020, 07:54 AM
He's not better than Dak at this point in his career. He is however playing with better talent than Dak ever had. Dak was way more mobile and led the nation in TD/INT ratio his SR year.

Fromm was a 5th rounder. So the idea that he's as good as Fromm kind of makes my point.

So what exactly is TERRIBLE about my take?

He's simply nowhere near a 1st round QB talent

It's terrible because you're trying to compare him to Ryan Fitzpatrick, a journeyman NFL QB from Harvard. If you want a more comparable comp he's probably somewhere along the line of Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, or a low end Josh Allen. He could play himself into the 1st round of the draft and I think he probably will. I agree that he may not be a 1st round talent but I don't think Jordan Love is either and he was drafted in the 1st. He's also got the Mullen effect that his QBs have typically done well in the NFL. There's going to be 4 QBs taken in the 1st round and right now I suspect that he'll be one of them. He's not Fields or Lawrence, but he's high in the second tier just like Costello.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 08:00 AM
It's terrible because you're trying to compare him to Ryan Fitzpatrick, a journeyman NFL QB from Harvard. If you want a more comparable comp he's probably somewhere along the line of Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, or a low end Josh Allen. He could play himself into the 1st round of the draft and I think he probably will. I agree that he may not be a 1st round talent but I don't think Jordan Love is either and he was drafted in the 1st. He's also got the Mullen effect that his QBs have typically done well in the NFL. There's going to be 4 QBs taken in the 1st round and right now I suspect that he'll be one of them. He's not Fields or Lawrence, but he's high in the second tier just like Costello.

BAD take.

Kirk Cousins - Trask isn't near the natural passer as Cousins is. Not close

Tannehill - Tannehill played WR at Texas A&M. He isn't the greatest passer but he's a super athlete. Trask isn't that type of QB

Allen - Allen is a supped up Tannehill with better passing ability.

Simply, Trask is a tweener. He isn't the passer that Cousins is nor near the athlete that Tannehill and Allen are. He simply isn't anything close to a 1st round caliber QB, and like Fitzpatrick, he'll be an NFL journeyman as well.

StarkVegasSteve
10-02-2020, 08:12 AM
BAD take.

Kirk Cousins - Trask isn't near the natural passer as Cousins is. Not close

Tannehill - Tannehill played WR at Texas A&M. He isn't the greatest passer but he's a super athlete. Trask isn't that type of QB

Allen - Allen is a supped up Tannehill with better passing ability.

Simply, Trask is a tweener. He isn't the passer that Cousins is nor near the athlete that Tannehill and Allen are. He simply isn't anything close to a 1st round caliber QB, and like Fitzpatrick, he'll be an NFL journeyman as well.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that and revisit it in a couple of years. I think Trask is a very good passer and he's got deceptive speed. He just doesn't use it. I mean it's not like he just lit it up against Ole Miss and people are anointing him king. He played well last year and that was the 1st time he'd started since 9th grade. The thing that impresses me the most with him is his accuracy on the intermediate throws. That's something Dak didn't have in college that he learned. Trask is already accurate in that part of his game and that's where you make your money in the NFL.

Walkerhill
10-02-2020, 08:31 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree on that and revisit it in a couple of years. I think Trask is a very good passer and he's got deceptive speed. He just doesn't use it. I mean it's not like he just lit it up against Ole Miss and people are anointing him king. He played well last year and that was the 1st time he'd started since 9th grade. The thing that impresses me the most with him is his accuracy on the intermediate throws. That's something Dak didn't have in college that he learned. Trask is already accurate in that part of his game and that's where you make your money in the NFL.

A better comp on him would be Rivers, Stafford or Roethlisberger IMO

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 08:32 AM
A better comp on him would be Rivers, Stafford or Roethlisberger IMO

not near that level of passer or arm strength. Not close

Again, for some reason people are having trouble seeing this guy for what he is.

Johnson85
10-02-2020, 08:34 AM
Yea...?.this is a TERRIBLE take. Kyle Trask is absolutely a gamer. He's much better than Dak at that point in their careers and is probably on par with Fromm. That kid can play. He just needed a chance. On top of all that, he's got the QB Whisperer as his coach. He's gonna play on Sundays.

You realize Trask is a RS Senior and not a RS Sophomore (which is the time I assume you were comparing him to Dak?) Not saying he's not good, but Dak was really good his RS Senior year with a suspect OL, a RB that couldn't run, and good but not great receivers. Granted Dak had played a lot more than Trask at that point, but Trask right now is not good enough to make that 2015 offense work the way Dak did.

Walkerhill
10-02-2020, 10:58 AM

Again, for some reason people are having trouble seeing this guy for what he is.

I personally do not think Trask will ever be an nfl starter. I do not know or care where he may be drafted.

I am just saying he is more of a pocket passer. More of a steady, game manager type than the first set of guys in this thread and less of a dynamic gunslinger than the second set. Maybe Trent Dilfer is an even better comparison.

I also do not understand why you care if people praise or overrate Trask. I guess there is some type of Heisman Watch type overlap possibly vs Costello and Hill but it is just way too early to worry about stuff like that.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 11:00 AM
I personally do not think Trask will ever be an nfl starter. I do not know or care where he may be drafted.

I am just saying he is more of a pocket passer. More of a steady, game manager type than the first set of guys in this thread and less of a dynamic gunslinger than the second set. Maybe Trent Dilfer is an even better comparison.

I also do not understand why you care if people praise or overrate Trask. I guess there is some type of Heisman Watch type overlap possibly vs Costello and Hill but it is just way too early to worry about stuff like that.

Trent Dilfer is a great comparison.

Very much agree with your opinion.

I just brought it up as something to discuss.

Walkerhill
10-02-2020, 11:38 AM

Well, by all means carry on then.

In general, I prefer wild Mississippi State speculation but I will take why I can get.

MrCoachKlein
10-02-2020, 12:47 PM

I'm with you on this. He's Brett Rypien-ish

BrunswickDawg
10-02-2020, 02:10 PM

Dilfer was a first round pick

basedog
10-02-2020, 02:27 PM
Say what y’all want but Trask is a winner. I have no clue if he is a NFL guy or not but I do know he is the backbone for Florida’s offense. Seems to be a good leader, he will get his chance at the next level, but he is a good college QB for the gators.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 02:37 PM
Say what y’all want but Trask is a winner. I have no clue if he is a NFL guy or not but I do know he is the backbone for Florida’s offense. Seems to be a good leader, he will get his chance at the next level, but he is a good college QB for the gators.

Absolutely. Not debating any of this.

Just saying that he's not a 1st round talent either. Tim Tebow was a winner as well and is still the only NFL that I can remember being discarded after winning a playoff game.

Trask just isn't a top 2 round talent.

Irondawg
10-02-2020, 02:42 PM
How about this since I watched him last night - he’s the Rypien kids that started for Denver last night or even a Kellen Moore type. Good accuracy but appears to lack true arm strength.

I didn’t follow much last year but that arm strength is the big issue. The NFL generally requires the ability to drill it into tight windows. Some guys have overcome that but the really weak armed accurate guys (think weurffel) don’t seem to last as long in the league.

The league requires strong armed guys that are accurate and make good decisions. Very hard to find somebody that can do all 3 and it’s why there are so few top notch nfl qbs

msstate7
10-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Just curious what you thought of joe burrow's pro chances before his senior year.

chef dixon
10-02-2020, 03:01 PM
Its funny how we have people that view Trask as chopped liver and some people that still view Feleipe Franks as a good QB. We should ask Mullen what he thinks. Trask is really good. I don't really care how he projects to the NFL, he's better than anything I ever saw out of Jake Fromm.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Just curious what you thought of joe burrow's pro chances before his senior year.

Good point.

The difference however is that Trask is already in a good offense whereas Burrow was not.

To me, Burrow was more athletic and much smoother in the way he did things.

Feel free to believe Trask is a top 2 round talent. I'm not going to say you're wrong. I just personally don't see the skill set for that

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Its funny how we have people that view Trask as chopped liver and some people that still view Feleipe Franks as a good QB. We should ask Mullen what he thinks. Trask is really good. I don't really care how he projects to the NFL, he's better than anything I ever saw out of Jake Fromm.

Who said he was chopped liver?

I've never thought Franks was good. I've always thought he couldn't see the field

msstate7
10-02-2020, 03:38 PM
Good point.

The difference however is that Trask is already in a good offense whereas Burrow was not.

To me, Burrow was more athletic and much smoother in the way he did things.

Feel free to believe Trask is a top 2 round talent. I'm not going to say you're wrong. I just personally don't see the skill set for that

I don't know what trask is. Burrow shattered my judgement on qbs. I really thought he (burrow) was pretty bad.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2020, 03:40 PM
I don't know what trask is. Burrow shattered my judgement on qbs. I really thought he (burrow) was pretty bad.

True.

Cooterpoot
10-02-2020, 03:44 PM
Trask made some impressive throws last week. He was facing a trash defense, so let's see him under pressure. I think he's pretty good. Better than Fromm, who I always said sucked.

MrCoachKlein
10-02-2020, 04:04 PM
How about this since I watched him last night - he’s the Rypien kids that started for Denver last night or even a Kellen Moore type. Good accuracy but appears to lack true arm strength.

I didn’t follow much last year but that arm strength is the big issue. The NFL generally requires the ability to drill it into tight windows. Some guys have overcome that but the really weak armed accurate guys (think weurffel) don’t seem to last as long in the league.

The league requires strong armed guys that are accurate and make good decisions. Very hard to find somebody that can do all 3 and it’s why there are so few top notch nfl qbs

Saints fan here. Life's a lot harder on offense when the D has 0 respect for a deep ball.

IMissJack
10-02-2020, 05:36 PM
How is Mond trending up?

msstate7
10-03-2020, 11:41 AM
Shotgun, he isn't very mobile, but he moves in the pocket well

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2020, 12:18 PM
Shotgun, he isn't very mobile, but he moves in the pocket well

He's solid. Just not a Heisman caliber talent in any way.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2020, 12:49 PM
Golden Child, late draft pick caliber QB Ehlinger is 5-14 thus far