PDA

View Full Version : Momentum

justwin
11-06-2013, 11:54 PM
first post

Doesn't it seem like we need to rush the football with our RBs much more? Specifically, it's time to go to Griffin, Shumpert, and Robinson as our primary option out of the backfield........we have lacked any rushing threat from the RB the last 15 games starting with Bama. Just proves that a smaller back can't thrive vs the SEC West between the tackles. Don't get me wrong, LaDarius is the best of the smaller/scat backs in the entire SEC, but we should pass the ball to him much more as he scores as many tds receiving on a tenth of the touches of his rushes.

All I care to see the for remainder of the season is for MSU's offense to pick one of those three big, bruising RBs and give him 75+ (17ish/game) carries during those four games. So, who should it be? My gut tells me that Shumpert would score at least 6 tds and provide a major confidence boost to our offense, fanbase, and defense. In certain ways, Shumpert reminds me of Jerious Norwood during his junior year as he hits the hole so hard and then kind of slices his way through. Plus, he presents himself as a guy who can "handle" the responsibility and go really hard even when things do initially start to turn in his favor.

I really think you could put any of these three in the backfield with either Tyler or Dak or even Damian and be successful just proving that it's not a qb issue of offense, but a RB issue. Seriously, wouldn't you put one of those three bigger backs in first thing if by some unfortunate turn of events and we had to go to Damian to protect him? Then, why not help out Tyler and Dak with the same option...it's OK to have Griffin as the only RB with Lewis and Perkins in either slot. Tyler can make every single throw on the football field, but he can't do it without a big running back to grind out yards, the clock, have a running threat, and pick up blocks. Same with Dak really...the QB just can't keep exposing his head like that. Dak is on the verge of being able to make a large majority of the throws, but the REASON our vertical passing game is nonexistent is the complete lack of utilizing one of our bigger running RBs. That's why all of the passing is to the flats because the other team's front four is shutting Perkins down inside so they don't have to blitz and expose their secondary.

GO WITH THE DAM BIGGER BACKS MULLEN!

I have to give Dan credit in that he, unlike many of our former coaches, does make changes......new DC, new DB coach, new DL coach, going to Sobiesk, going with Dak more, etc. So, I do think that Dan is engaged with the fanbase. To me, the playcalling has been well done the last few games, but the use of personnel has been atrocious especially out of the backfield.

Wouldn't this help the defense as well?

It's infuriating to me that we don't use Griffin more. Dan said he was a combo of Vick and Perk a few years back...he looks the part. Frankly, I"m not buying the hurt knee argument anymore b/c that dude is in the best freaking shape of any guy in college football...PERIOD. He's made some nice catches out of the backfield as well. Plus, I bet he's the most pissed off mofo in Starkville in that he has done everything in his power, but Dan won't turn him loose.

I just think Dan owes it to himself to make his life much easier if he would go to one of those three as his bellcow for the last 4 games. Griffin will romp all over TXAM especially in the second half after they wear down. Hell, same with Shumpert really...

GO WITH THE DAM BIGGER BACKS MULLEN!

preachermatt83
11-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Very true... Griffin has been the most improperly utilized player on the team. The kid is an absolute freak of nature. He could be everything ballard was with a quicker cut back. I just don't get it. and no one can say he doesn't work hard. He has come back from 2 diff knee injuries and he told me he was stronger on his legs right now than any point in his life.

Bothrops
11-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Griffin and Milton are both WAY under utilized. That is retarded when you consider that Griffin is capable of 6,7,8 yard bursts up the middle. Plus I'm not sure if Milton has had any touches since the Troy game, where he scored the final touchdown. Dak shouldn't have to shoulder the load so much. We have several talented players on offense that stand on the sidelines, game after game, only to watch things grind to a halt in the second half. Some of these guys are upperclassmen already. Give them a chance!!

justwin
11-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Very true... Griffin has been the most improperly utilized player on the team. The kid is an absolute freak of nature. He could be everything ballard was with a quicker cut back. I just don't get it. and no one can say he doesn't work hard. He has come back from 2 diff knee injuries and he told me he was stronger on his legs right now than any point in his life.

Amen. You can't tell me that Griffin or Shump can't do what M. Davis @ USC is doing with more touches. Davis is only 5'9" 215 which is smaller than both Griff and Shump.

justwin
11-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Griffin and Milton are both WAY under utilized. That is retarded when you consider that Griffin is capable of 6,7,8 yard bursts up the middle. Plus I'm not sure if Milton has had any touches since the Troy game, where he scored the final touchdown. Dak shouldn't have to shoulder the load so much. We have several talented players on offense that stand on the sidelines, game after game, only to watch things grind to a halt in the second half. Some of these guys are upperclassmen already. Give them a chance!!

EVERY SINGLE GAME THAT GRIFFIN PLAYED IN DURING 2012, HE MADE AT LEAST ONE VERY NICE RUN THAT ONLY A BIG RB IS CAPABLE OF.

Dawg61
11-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Our offense is stalling because we can't or even attempt 15+ yard passes. It's that simple.

CadaverDawg
11-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Amen. You can't tell me that Griffin or Shump can't do what M. Davis @ USC is doing with more touches. Davis is only 5'9" 215 which is smaller than both Griff and Shump.

I don't know their 40 times or anything, but judging on what I've seen, it appears that Mike Davis would leave Griffin and Shumpert in the dust in a foot race. He seems to be quicker too. I see Griffin and Shump as bruisers.

Political Hack
11-07-2013, 09:17 PM
our passing game is non-existent because we can't run the ball. We can't run the ball because our OL can't open up holes a truck can drive through and Perk is best in open space. JRob and Shump should be getting tough carries.

Coach34
11-07-2013, 09:18 PM
If we would give Josh Robinson more than 5 carries per game- our running game would be alot better. Robinson is better than Griff or Shump- he just doesnt get enough touches.

Perkins runs the ball too damn much period- end of story. That is our problem.

CadaverDawg
11-07-2013, 09:20 PM
If we would give Josh Robinson more than 5 carries per game- our running game would be alot better. Robinson is better than Griff or Shump- he just doesnt get enough touches.

Boom. This^

justwin
11-07-2013, 09:30 PM

I agree that Rob is quite good, but I'm not sure better as we don't know b/c we haven't seen Griff or Shump. I just want to see one of those 3 get significantly more carries. I keep thinking that the only way Robinson is going to permanently solidify to Mullen that he deserves 12 carries/game is he's going to have to break one for a long td. I was yelling at the TV in the KY game when he cut right on the screen that he should've cut left to go and score one for 80 as that would've been the career turning play for him so to speak. Then, Pollack talks about the exact same missed cut for a play or two.

justwin
11-07-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't know their 40 times or anything, but judging on what I've seen, it appears that Mike Davis would leave Griffin and Shumpert in the dust in a foot race. He seems to be quicker too. I see Griffin and Shump as bruisers.

C,mon..In the dust? I see what you're saying, but players play quicker when they have confidence. You get confidence with more carries...and that's what someone other than Perk needs. That's the one misconception about Spurrier with his fun n gun style, but his BEST teams all had big, powerful RBs...Lattimore, Davis, F. Taylor, Rhett, etc.

justwin
11-07-2013, 09:36 PM
our passing game is non-existent because we can't run the ball. We can't run the ball because our OL can't open up holes a truck can drive through and Perk is best in open space. JRob and Shump should be getting tough carries.

true and I don't disagree, but good OL runblocking is a state of mind...meaning that OL that know they get to go hit someone hard tend to be more motivated to open holes. Every guy I know who played OL always raved about having a RB that can create their own yards.

Political Hack
11-07-2013, 09:37 PM
true and I don't disagree, but good OL runblocking is a state of mind...meaning that OL that know they get to go hit someone hard tend to be more motivated to open holes. Every guy I know who played OL always raved about having a RB that can create their own yards.

no doubt about that... and a RB who can read the blocks and follow them. that's why I love JRob.

Rick Danko
11-07-2013, 09:38 PM

I feel bad agreeing, especially with Perkins who I had such high hopes for, but for whatever reason Mullen seems dead set on running him between the tackles and I truly believe anyone with knowledge of our program knows that should not be the case. A true head scratcher to say the least