PDA

View Full Version : Pat Forde projecting us in the playoffs

BigEasyDawg
09-28-2020, 07:37 PM
https://www.si.com/college/2020/09/28/college-football-winner-losers-september

Sugar Bowl: top seed Clemson (7) vs. fourth seed Mississippi State (8).

After cruising to a 2-0 start, the Tigers had an off week. The schedule gets more interesting in the next two weeks, with Virginia (1-0) and Miami (3-0) coming to Death Valley. The Cavaliers shouldn?t count on getting seven turnovers against Clemson the way they did Saturday in their opener against Duke; Trevor Lawrence still hasn?t thrown an interception since last Oct. 19, a string of 10 straight games. Next up for Clemson: Virginia Saturday.

The Bulldogs crash the playoff after their resounding upset of reigning champion LSU. While Mississippi State?s epic passing performance has understandably gotten most of the attention from that game, don?t overlook the effort from defensive coordinator Zach Arnett?s unit: State held LSU to just 80 rushing yards and grabbed a pair of interceptions. Next up for Mississippi State: Arkansas, whose SEC losing streak reached 20 games, comes to Starkville Saturday.

Also writes this about us being one of the biggest winners of the week
Winner: Mississippi State (3). Historically, the Bulldogs have been a lower-echelon SEC program. They rose to new heights under Dan Mullen?but after losing him to Florida the school decided it still wanted to dream big in football. When Joe Moorhead delivered a 14-12 record that would have been more than acceptable in earlier times, State pushed him out and tried to do better. That led to the hiring of Mike Leach, an iconoclast who has proven he can outperform historic expectations in tough jobs (Texas Tech, Washington State). Despite the difficulties getting a new program up and running amid a pandemic, Leach delivered the kind of debut that State fans dreamed of, upsetting reigning national champion LSU. The Dash is awaiting word on whether Mississippi State set an SEC record for fewest rushing yards in a win, chalking up a meager nine. The Bulldogs more than made up for it through the air, passing for an SEC record 623 yards.

dantheman4248
09-28-2020, 07:41 PM
My Jolly Roger is at full mast. 2020 is really about to have a redemption arc.

IMissJack
09-28-2020, 07:44 PM
Would be so likely, the one year we go to the playoffs and I can?t go due to social distancing policy.*

TrapGame
09-28-2020, 07:57 PM
I told y'all this was going to be a totally crazy football season.

Delmar
09-28-2020, 08:09 PM
While I was impressed with our defense Saturday, I?m afraid we don?t have the defense this year to make a run.

Ari Gold
09-28-2020, 08:14 PM
I’m a half glass full guy for sure.. but come on Pat... that is as silly as some the “experts” saying 2-8

BigEasyDawg
09-28-2020, 08:17 PM
I’m a half glass full guy for sure.. but come on Pat... that is as silly as some the “experts” saying 2-8

I totally understand, but MSU has just as much national attention right now as when we went to number 1 (and that took 3 straight weeks of beating good teams) and when we upset UCONN in the final four. We just need to enjoy the ride

Commercecomet24
09-28-2020, 08:30 PM

Yeah I'm an optimist but that's a little far just yet. I do love the attention we're getting though and you never know how this could play out. Have to have a little rational perspective though.

Cowbell
09-28-2020, 08:37 PM
It's just nice to know that we have a shot. We legitimately have a shot. That's all I asked for.

hp22
09-28-2020, 08:49 PM
The positive press is awesome. I love. It goes to show what coaching can do. It's way premature and we have plenty of questions remaining about our football team.

That said, the question can they score has been answered. I dont see how any recruit that could fit this offense could say no. And we play the same way defensively.

Just keep winning.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-28-2020, 09:09 PM
Leach is also capable of having one or two WTF games a season as well...

defiantdog
09-28-2020, 09:11 PM
I love how we go from projecting a 4-6 team to making it to the playoffs.

Todd4State
09-28-2020, 09:15 PM
Get back to me after the Alabama game. That's all I'm saying about that right now.

TrapGame
09-28-2020, 09:15 PM
And Herbie thinks we are the #6 team in his opinion.

Todd4State
09-28-2020, 09:16 PM
I totally understand, but MSU has just as much national attention right now as when we went to number 1 (and that took 3 straight weeks of beating good teams) and when we upset UCONN in the final four. We just need to enjoy the ride

It really is crazy. We're the talk of the college football world. Imagine what is going to happen if Leach has a dream season for us? (Assuming this year isn't one)

99jc
09-28-2020, 09:16 PM
No one loves State more than I....but Forde has lost his mind. and i love it!

TaleofTwoDogs
09-28-2020, 09:18 PM

That's the sorrow and joy of being a Miss State fan.

RezDog7
09-28-2020, 09:39 PM

Maybe some of it is just due to our program taking a step forward. With all the players we have in the NFL, bowl streak and other sports (baseball and WB) having success, the media is starting to believe a little more in MSU.

Commercecomet24
09-28-2020, 09:41 PM
Get back to me after the Alabama game. That's all I'm saying about that right now.

This, provided we take care of business up until then.

Dawgology
09-28-2020, 09:41 PM

Yeah the truth is somewhere in between probably. Before the season I said 4 wins. After LSU I’m thinking 7 wins. Georgia and Bama will be losses probably and there will be another slip up in there probably. I’m interested to see how the team responds after all of the praise and media attention. Im interested to see if Leach can keep them grounded and focused.

deadheaddawg
09-28-2020, 10:15 PM
The article states "This week?s playoff picks, as always predicated on today being Selection Sunday"

So he isn't really predicting us to be in the playoffs at the end of the year. If the playoffs were selected today we would be one of those selected. And if we continue to win we will stay in his playoff 4. Unless someone leaps us with a very impressive win. Or If we lose. Then we drop out.

It's kind of like the playoff committee releasing their weekly polls in November.

We do have the most impressive win of anyone in the country, so I understand why

Last week he had Notre Dame and UCF in it

BulldogDX55
09-28-2020, 10:57 PM
Keep in mind y'all-

Leach's WTF games mostly stem from the fact that at TTU he had about the 50th ranked team talent wise and at WSU he had the 70th ranked team talent wise.

Right now, according to 24/7, he has the 23rd best team. Much lower chance of WTF when you're dealing with that kind of roster.

Cowbell
09-28-2020, 11:10 PM
Keep in mind y'all-

Leach's WTF games mostly stem from the fact that at TTU he had about the 50th ranked team talent wise and at WSU he had the 70th ranked team talent wise.

Right now, according to 24/7, he has the 23rd best team. Much lower chance of WTF when you're dealing with that kind of roster.

Except we are playing 8 teams ranked higher than that.

Dawgfan77
09-29-2020, 06:00 AM
Except we are playing 8 teams ranked higher than that.

Was LSU one of those 8....

lastmajordog
09-29-2020, 08:27 AM
Yeah the truth is somewhere in between probably. Before the season I said 4 wins. After LSU I?m thinking 7 wins. Georgia and Bama will be losses probably and there will be another slip up in there probably. I?m interested to see how the team responds after all of the praise and media attention. Im interested to see if Leach can keep them grounded and focused.

In regard to this, his talk to the team after the win was GREAT!!!.....it emphasized the reason they won was in the week BEFORE the game in PRACTICE!!!!.....My admiration for the WAY this guy coaches is balloning.....GO DOGS!!!!!!

Jack Lambert
09-29-2020, 08:44 AM
I am kicking that bastard off the bandwagon. Don't like him he smells.

ZedFedder
09-29-2020, 09:00 AM
It is funny the polarization from the pundits. Some write it off as LSU being down, and then the other side hails State as a top 8 contender. I feel the truth is in the middle. I say we go 7-3, which with this schedule and preseason expectations would be HUGE.

BiscuitEater
09-29-2020, 09:16 AM
I?m afraid we don?t have the defense this year to make a run.

Well, I see a offense that has confidence to pick up a 3rd and 15. I see an offense that can score from anywhere on the field. I see an O that will take what a zone gives and can move methodically with no stopping.

I see a young defense playing with a chip on their shoulder, playing as a team, holding LSU to 80 yards rushing, getting sacks, and playing aggressive MSU defense. I see the secondary that most doubted challenging LSU receivers for every ball.

Hog game will show if what we saw with the D was a fluke or whether they take another step.

I'm excited about MSU Football .. now! And, it's been 3 1/2 years since I been able to type that!

Ari Gold
09-30-2020, 07:19 AM

I agree. But guys like Forde and experts dont get paid to enjoy rides..
Yes the attention we are getting is great and we as State fans should soak it all in...
but lets all not get carried away after game one..

Saltydog
09-30-2020, 09:24 AM
C'mon man. This is crazy, even for hack like Forde.....

RocketDawg
09-30-2020, 04:27 PM
I?m a half glass full guy for sure.. but come on Pat... that is as silly as some the ?experts? saying 2-8

Right. After one game, it's a bit premature.