PDA

View Full Version : Food Plot Question

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-28-2020, 02:05 PM
I planted a food plot with my cousin a few weekends ago. It is mainly brassicas. It has come up and is about 2 to 3 inches tall in some areas but overall there are alot of spots in the plot that didn't come up. My cousin is getting concerned and thinks we need to over-seed with something else to fill in the gaps. Should we do this? IF so what? He comes from the ole school way of thinking that Rye grass is always the goto. What say ye?

Offshore Dawg
10-02-2020, 07:19 PM
Clover, you can apply without covering.

LandDawg
10-04-2020, 10:44 AM
If you plan on maintaining for several years, you can overseed with white clover & wheat. The clover won?t do much for you until next year, so the wheat gives you some winter food.

If you don?t plan on maintaining clover, then no reason to spend that money. Just overseed with wheat or cereal rye. NOT ryegrass. I hate that stuff because it gives you no nutritional value & it takes over a plot & hard to kill. But it will attract deer to a plot for killing.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-06-2020, 09:34 AM
Thanks!!

Westdawg
10-17-2020, 01:53 AM
Wheat is super cheap and you don't actually have to cover it much like clover. Matter of fact, you could oversees now, and come back in a few weeks and do it again. Produces tonnage for the deer and easy to do with a hand/bag broadcaster