PDA

View Full Version : Would Mullen be better served to coach from Pressbox?

WPDawg
11-06-2013, 09:06 PM
If CM is the offensive mastermind of our team and in on the play calling, would it not be better to work from the pressbox? It would allow him to be tuned in more to just the offense. Doesnt it benefit them greatly to watch from above and work on new wrinkles when defense is on the field. Dont position coaches do most of talking to players on sidelines anyway? Just need to appoint someone to work the refs and call timeouts in his place.

Just curious about what the football gurus think about this idea. Cant think of anyone doing this outside of past history when a coach was injured but is there some unwritten law that HC has to be on the field?

Coach34
11-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Sean Payton is the offensive guru/playcaller for the Saints- and HC...where does he call plays from?

WPDawg
11-06-2013, 09:23 PM
thanks for the indepth answer. If Sean Payton was here, I would not have asked the question.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 09:24 PM
No.

GTAdawg
11-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Yes, it's an unwritten law that's why you haven't 'seen it'. Leader should be on the field.

Dawg61
11-06-2013, 09:41 PM
No, not only does Mullen chew playcards but occasionally he chews the assistants, players and refs ass too. Can't do that from the pressbox as well. Plus the Dansbury stall only works from the field.

Coach34
11-06-2013, 09:48 PM
thanks for the indepth answer. If Sean Payton was here, I would not have asked the question.

a more in-depth answer?

All you need from up top is someone to tell you how they are lined up on the DL and to keep track of blitzes vs formations, D and D, and hashmarks

quickstrike2
11-06-2013, 10:12 PM
No. He needs to do a better job in the locker room at halftime making coaching adjustments.

C222
11-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Holy shit. I have seen it all now. I was thinking I needed to step away from message boards. This did it for me.

hacker
11-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Well, I think he should coach from his office, via Skype. He'd be able to google new plays and formations and tweet questions to @smartfootball as the game unfolded. Also, you never want to underestimate the value of comfort. He'd be really comfortable in his office, and I think that'd put him in the correct zone for play calling. What do you guys think?

Dawg61
11-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Well, I think he should coach from his office, via Skype. He'd be able to google new plays and formations and tweet questions to @smartfootball as the game unfolded. Also, you never want to underestimate the value of comfort. He'd be really comfortable in his office, and I think that'd put him in the correct zone for play calling. What do you guys think?

I like it! In fact the new XboxOne has Skype and you can do it while playing NCAA14. Dan could ask the One what play to call and he can Skype it in! BRILLIANT!!

HunterDawg
11-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Head coaches can't act like fans. They have to remain detached and cool and thinking all the time even under extreme stress. Let someone else verbally straighten out the officials and the players and the assistant coaches. Did you ever see Bear Bryant pitch a fit on the sidelines when the game was on the line?

Like Les Miles. So caught up in the moment, like a fan, that he doesn't call the crucial timeout or make the right crucial end of game decision. And, yes, there have been times when Dan has done that. Tempers and emotions are a luxury head coaches can't afford.

WPDawg
11-06-2013, 11:20 PM
ok..If you had 10 minutes with DM, what questions would you ask him about game day? No player specific stuff. Questions related to game day and what happens technically on the field.
For example "what information do you get from the Coaches in the pressbox and how it used?" "Why isnt the deep throw used in your offense?"

HunterDawg
11-06-2013, 11:28 PM
ok..If you had 10 minutes with DM, what questions would you ask him about game day? No player specific stuff. Questions related to game day and what happens technically on the field.
For example "what information do you get from the Coaches in the pressbox and how it used?" "Why isnt the deep throw used in your offense?"

When you rip those headphones off and start screaming, what are you missing? What did you not hear?

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 11:52 PM
When you rip those headphones off and start screaming, what are you missing? What did you not hear?

He's pissed that his iPod battery ran out and the music stopped.