PDA

View Full Version : MSU baseball

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 08:21 PM
So I click on twitter and the first 4 things I see are about today's scrimmage. I see that Gardner hits a bases clearing double, Vickerson hits one off the wall and is thrown out at home trying to get an inside the park homerun (can you say speed), Heck is making multiple defensive web gems, and Hudson is mowing them down in order. Oh, and Robson ran "to Canada to make an unbelievable over the shoulder catch".

These guys aren't even people we expected to be shining this quickly. I know it's a scrimmage, but good grief I am excited about beisbol. When you hear nothing but speed, power, defense , and pitching....you can't help but to sprout a little wool

MsStateBaseball
11-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Going to be another great year. 100 more days...

messageboardsuperhero
11-06-2013, 08:30 PM
It looks like we'll be as good or better offensively and on the mound than last year, and we were in the top 5 in the SEC for both last year.

We also led the SEC in K/9 IP last year with two contact pitchers leading us in IP. It's getting very difficult not to look like this:

http://www.maniacworld.com/sheep-with-60-pounds-of-wool.jpg

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 08:34 PM
It looks like we'll be as good or better offensively and on the mound than last year, and we were in the top 5 in the SEC for both last year.

We also led the SEC in K/9 IP last year with two contact pitchers leading us in IP. It's getting very difficult not to look like this:

http://www.maniacworld.com/sheep-with-60-pounds-of-wool.jpg

Yea, if you start to get cold this winter, just think baseball....immediate sweater

MsStateBaseball
11-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Playing scrimmages over and over, competing is why we get better. Just need to keep getting good talent. Signing day next week.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Playing scrimmages over and over, competing is why we get better. Just need to keep getting good talent. Signing day next week.

Any surprises?

What are your thoughts on signing day?

bully99
11-06-2013, 09:02 PM
What happened to the other Alex on the team last year. Deise, I think. Where did he go.

MsStateBaseball
11-06-2013, 09:07 PM
I have searched far and wide for any new commits and don't see any but that don't matter. Kids won't say at all, they don't have twitter at all, etc. We have 9 now and last two years we signed over 15. We need RHP and OF. Again if we go to CWS that will push roster players to go pro. We usually sign 2-4 in summer. I would think we have a couple new ones next week to sign. I didn't know about Seth Heck until school started.

MsStateBaseball
11-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Deise was a walk on who prob thought he wasn't going to make it after last fall. Kids can measure where their at in the fall.

bully99
11-06-2013, 09:48 PM
"Perfect Game" has list of about every college in the country and their committs. They have State with ten commits but that still includes Swanarski.

engie
11-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Looking like a pretty small class as of right now...

Todd4State
11-07-2013, 12:08 AM
2015 is a big year in Mississippi- and we already have five of the top players in state committed.

Looking at the current roster, there are about 10-12 players (roughly) that I think could/will leave after next year. Woodruff, Lindgren, Bracewell, Holder (I could see him coming back for his senior year) Will Cox (could see him coming back), Rea, Britton (Good chance he will be back), Pirtle, CT, Armstrong, Demarcus, and Detz. I'm pretty sure we are going to redshirt a couple of pitchers this year like Levi Mintz and maybe Jacob Billingsley. If Paul Young isn't healthy, we'll probably redshirt him as well.

We're at the point where we are taking the best available with our current class. Jesse McCord is a good pitcher and might get drafted, and I really like Andrew Mahoney even though he has an injury. He's a good gamble to take- and I think there is a very good chance he recovers 100%. Paxton Stover and Aaron Dominguez both remind me of Ross and Pollorena respectively. Stover is left handed and while he doesn't throw hard, he had a ton of strikeouts last year at his HS in Tennessee- a lot like Ross. Dominguez is a high energy guy from California.

Vallot is a draft risk- but if we get him to school, he could be a special player for us. He played in the Under Armour All-American Game which to me is like the McDonald's All-American Game for HS baseball.

Cole Gordon I think will get drafted. He is 6'5" with a left handed power bat and can run, and he plays in a strong HS league. He can play first or the outfield. I think he is underrated by pro scouts right now. Dale Burdick can play the middle infield or third. He has shown some power (6 home runs) and some speed (15 steals) and is another guy that I think will get drafted. Right now, I feel good about getting both of these guys in school- and both will be very good players for us.

Ryan Girdley is someone that could play CF or either middle infield position. He plays at a strong high school in Milton, Ga. He is small, but he has some pop and he can run. He's your typical Cohen type player that goes hard all the time and the other team hates him. Taylor Stafford from New Hope is also a guy that is a hustle player. He's more of a CF, but I think he might pitch for us some as well. His speed and defense are his biggest attributes, but he can bunt and hit for average as well.

To me, the biggest thing we need are left handed power hitters.