PDA

View Full Version : MsStatebaseball

messageboardsuperhero
11-06-2013, 06:45 PM
I think you might be right about us hitting more home runs this year than we did last year. You've been saying this for a while, and I'm finally starting to see what you mean.

When you consider the depth we have in the lineup and the pop in these Adidas bats, I think we'll hit for more power this year from top-to-bottom. Adding multiple guys in the batting order who are legit home run threats will outweigh losing Renfroe. I also expect Rea to hit at least 12-15 bombs.

MsStateBaseball
11-06-2013, 08:37 PM
We have natural hitters now. Humphreys Collins etc been really good hitters for a while. Rea has got it. The MIFs can hit 10 combined w the four of them. We should hit 35. Thanks for the compliment. Looking forward to Valentines Day for once! Hashtag 2/14/14

AlSwearengen
11-06-2013, 10:29 PM
We have natural hitters now. Humphreys Collins etc been really good hitters for a while. Rea has got it. The MIFs can hit 10 combined w the four of them. We should hit 35. Thanks for the compliment. Looking forward to Valentines Day for once! Hashtag 2/14/14

This is what a lot of our fans probably don't have a full grasp of. Cohen's teams up until now have been players with some decent talent and good potential, but the majority of them haven't been what I would call a "good hitter". Renfroe is the perfect example with his off the charts physical ability, but extremely raw. Even with his numbers last year, I never really looked at Hunter and said "that guy is a hitter". Examples of a "hitter" would be a Will Clark or Rafael Palmiero. A "hitter" is the kid who was hitting the ball square and hard from the time they were seven years old and as they got older, they were still the best guy every time they played.

The talent that is coming into the program starting this year is exponentially better than past classes. Granted, we had some pretty good classes before now, but if i'm not mistaken, a lot of that ranking came from pitchers. I'm sure Todd or some of the other guys can expand on this or even correct me where I may be wrong, but I definitely feel like our talent level takes a big jump starting this year.

MsStateBaseball
11-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Humphreys Collins Swinarski these guys are good hitters. They will play pro ball. Each year we get better talent. Ingram and Rooker are what you call a project if you will, but they can be good hitters too. You will see what I am talking about later in season when they get experience. When we are down in the ninth we will roll out pinch hitters who can get the job done.

Todd4State
11-06-2013, 11:34 PM
We're starting to get more guys that can have an immediate impact. I knew Renfroe, Rea and Demarcus were going to be solid players- but it was going to take a couple of years. Actually, Renfroe was the one I was the most worried about when I first saw him with us because he looked overwhelmed out there as a freshman, but he turned out OK to say the least.

I'd be a little surprised if our middle infielders hit 10 home runs this year- although it would be nice. I think Britton and Hann have that kind of power between the two of them, but I'm not sure that both of them will start enough with Pirtle and Heck in the fold.

Dylan Ingram played at a small private school in Montgomery, Al. He probably has a little bit more of an adjustment than most guys do. Rooker will be a good role player for us this year and I think he is going to play pro ball. He participated in the National Power Showcase and did OK.

With our current class, a lot of people are focusing on Chase Vallot and rightfully so- but Dale Burdick and Cole Gordon are also really good hitters in that class and I think both could be drafted along with pitcher Jesse McCord.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Keep this info coming guys. I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say these updates are great to have. We need to enjoy our return to glory on the diamond. Thank you guys.