PDA

View Full Version : MSU Football Must Fight the Minimum

The Croom Diaries
11-06-2013, 04:08 PM
This is an article I've been meaning to write for a while now, just this seemed like the right time for it: MSU football is doing the bare minimum. This isn't an endorsement of Mullen or not (because I'll give him until the end of the season), just the sad truth of where we are right now. Hope you enjoy. http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/11/06/fight-minimum/

Goat Holder
11-06-2013, 04:20 PM
You brought some good information. A few things I would change (my opinion):

- Change your wins vs. winning record teams to reflect the regular season bowl threshold of 6-6. Not .500 or better. I think that's a better metric. That would include Georgia 2010, Kentucky 2010 and Wake Forest 2011. Those have to be considered good wins. I just see it no other way. I never count the bowl games as your record because you never know what type of match-up you will get.

- No, I don't think this is the best MSU can do. I DO think it's close to as good as we can do with THIS YEAR'S team. Obviously I feel like we should have beaten Auburn, though.

- I also feel like 2010 was about as close to as good as MSU could do without getting lucky (Cam Newton), but unfortunately we did not have a favorable schedule (4 losses to Top 15 teams). I also feel that we have a chance to achieve something similar to that or better next season. Above average talent, favorable schedule. Only happens every so often. 1999 might be the last time it did.

JeanPeesSittingDown
11-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Good read.

"Is this the best MSU can do, or is it the minimum? If you think this is the best Mississippi State can do, then you’ve resigned yourself to accepting mediocrity and being in the cellar of the SEC West, hoping for a mid-level bowl game when all the cards line up just right. If you think Mississippi State can do better, and deserves to do better, then you’ve got a winning attitude that needs to be at the forefront of our fanbase. I’m not saying that if you believe in Mullen you harbor a loser’s mentality, but hopefully everyone sees the product on the field is not acceptable, and the buck stops at Mullen’s desk."

The buck does stop at Mullen, as much as I love the guy I'll be the first to admit it. But he needs support from EVERYONE in the MSU community! That includes students, Steve, GAs, SIDs, and the sidewalk fan.

Now, add Trooper to this mix and this team is a potential 9 to 10 win team every year and competing for the west!

MarketingBully01
11-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Yep, right now we are only wearing our 15 pieces of flair.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Now, add Trooper to this mix and this team is a potential 9 to 10 win team every year and competing for the west!

What the hell is this^

JeanPeesSittingDown
11-06-2013, 04:26 PM
What the hell is this^

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?8215-How-We-Can-Play-for-4-Quarters

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?8215-How-We-Can-Play-for-4-Quarters

Again, what the hell? Awful.

messageboardsuperhero
11-06-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't want Trooper Taylor to come anywhere near our program.

J-Dawg
11-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Link not showing anything for me.

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2013, 04:48 PM
We need a Trooper Taylor type recruiter on staff.

I was hoping a Larry Porter would be available this offseason.

messageboardsuperhero
11-06-2013, 04:56 PM

I'm not saying we don't need better recruiters and more energy, but Trooper Taylor is not the solution.

JeanPeesSittingDown
11-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Trooper brings energy to the sideline. so not only do you get a good recruiter- you get someone that knows how to swing a towel around and rally the troops!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7bIttZwbtC4/Ta3AVoW6zTI/AAAAAAAABYE/VCxKJh2fiBU/s1600/taylor-uk.jpg

The Croom Diaries
11-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Link not showing anything for me.

Server went down. Should be back up soon. The Internet is a bitch sometimes.

CJDAWG85
11-06-2013, 05:12 PM
What the hell is this^

I believe they call it PCP.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 05:16 PM
I agree with many points in the your article, but there is a difference between rationally wanting more and irrationally wanting more. I want more, but I also understand that the way to get there involves the fine line between stability and pushing the envelope.

maroonmania
11-06-2013, 05:22 PM
You basically make some of the points I was making in the thread about Bo Bounds saying Mullen was the best recruiter we've ever had. I was basically saying that Mullen and staff are actually average to below average recruiters AT BEST but have benefitted from the rising tide of the SEC. All the best HS players in the region and some outside the region want to play in the SEC and the SEC power schools can only take so many. That's what makes the current OM recruiting situation so unique from us, they are not just taking players away from non-SEC schools like we are but under Freeze they are also taking away out-of-state players from SEC power schools. Pretty obviously cheating to do it but it ain't cheating unless you get caught. Anyway, you put Jackie, Rockey or Bob Tyler as HC in our current situation and all would recruit as well or better than what Mullen is doing.

The Croom Diaries
11-06-2013, 05:26 PM
I agree with many points in the your article, but there is a difference between rationally wanting more and irrationally wanting more. I want more, but I also understand that the way to get there involves the fine line between stability and pushing the envelope.

I can agree with that. The main point of writing this was an attempt to dismiss the idea many hold that we are doing just fine so long as we aren't winning only 3 games per year...that winning 3 games is a result of your program being a dumpster fire because any average coach can get you to 5-6 wins at MSU because of the level to which the SEC has raised us.

Homedawg
11-06-2013, 05:32 PM

You give the guys on our staff the same size black bag he has carried, and they'd be elite recruiters too. He's a shitty coach.

HunterDawg
11-06-2013, 08:23 PM
He is also radioactive with the NCAA.

Why do you think Auburn dumped him?