PDA

View Full Version : Who is plan B if HUD says no thanks

601Dawg
11-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I have heard that HUD wants big bucks to leave Lafayette as in as much or more than Dan is making. I also have heard that HUD does not get along with Stricklin at all.

My question is who would be plan B if HUD says no?

*** don't want to hear Kyle Whittingham Engie. Seems that most fans want a coach with southern connections who is able to recruit and relate to Mississippi and other southern recruits.

Barking 13
11-06-2013, 02:14 PM
I thought we were gonna drop this for a while..

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 02:17 PM
We wouldn't get rid of Mullen without Hud already being in the bag, so I think this is a mute discussion.

Dawgfan77
11-06-2013, 02:19 PM
I think hudspeth is the only option. Although I wonder if chad Morris had any interest I know he was on campus touring facilities with some Clemson coaches yesterday.

My personal opinion is we get a new AD and that would solve alot of problems. Maybe we need a forward bulldogs campaign

starkvegasdawg
11-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I have heard that HUD wants big bucks to leave Lafayette as in as much or more than Dan is making. I also have heard that HUD does not get along with Stricklin at all.

*** don't want to hear Kyle Whittingham Engie. Seems that most fans want a coach with southern connections who is able to recruit and relate to Mississippi and other southern recruits.

The RB coachs' GA assistant at Hofstra.** Real up and comer.

HoopsDawg
11-06-2013, 02:22 PM

We could get Hud for 2 million easily. He is making 750K a year at ULL. Who is going to turn down a 1.25 million annual pay raise with the potential to make more? I would offer Hud 1.75 million + incentives.

maroonmania
11-06-2013, 02:23 PM
IF Hud isn't all in to come to MSU and lay down roots then I would prefer to stay with Mullen for the time being. I don't want to bring in someone at this point that does not have successful HC experience at the D1 level. We would be starting the Mullen experiment all over again.

Dawgfan77
I thought we were gonna drop this for a while..
Why drop it. Hold those accountable for there actions. We have to let the season play out I get that but if we don't voice your opinion then it won't be heard.

maroonmania
We wouldn't get rid of Mullen without Hud already being in the bag, so I think this is a mute discussion.

^^THIS^^. But i do agree we should drop this discussion.

Barking 13
11-06-2013, 02:27 PM

sandwolf

If Hud was offered a job that he considered to be attractive, I would be willing to bet that he would take it for far less than Mullen makes. He makes $750k/year now (per his Wikipedia page).....assuming that we had addressed any administrative concerns that he may have, I would think we could easily get him on board for under $2 MIL as his base, plus another half a million or so in incentives.

engie
Christ Bundy, how many boards do you need to take this to before you'll be satisfied?

C222
11-06-2013, 02:28 PM
I think hudspeth is the only option. Although I wonder if chad Morris had any interest I know he was on campus touring facilities with some Clemson coaches yesterday.

My personal opinion is we get a new AD and that would solve alot of problems. Maybe we need a forward bulldogs campaign

He would have zero interest.

601Dawg
11-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Christ Bundy, how many boards do you need to take this to before you'll be satisfied?

I just have good knowledge that HUD may not be as excited about our job as our fans are about him being a candidate.

The $750k salary is WAY off. He makes closer to $2 mil with sliding scale and incentives and bowl/conference championships.
Similar to freeze getting $200k per SEC win

Sam&DeansDawg
11-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Muschamp

MadDawg
11-06-2013, 02:56 PM
If Hud was offered a job that he considered to be attractive, I would be willing to bet that he would take it for far less than Mullen makes. He makes $750k/year now (per his Wikipedia page).....assuming that we had addressed any administrative concerns that he may have, I would think we could easily get him on board for under $2 MIL as his base, plus another half a million or so in incentives.

You have to factor in the career suicide angle.

engie
11-06-2013, 03:00 PM
I just have good knowledge that HUD may not be as excited about our job as our fans are about him being a candidate.
Yet the only people with this knowledge are staunch Mullen supporters. Hud wants changes and before any change is made, he's highly likely to get them.

The $750k salary is WAY off. He makes closer to $2 mil with sliding scale and incentives and bowl/conference championships.
Feel free to link it -- because I'm calling a heavy dose of bullshit on that.
http://www.ragincajuns.com/news/2012/4/24/fb_0424125138.aspx

The base salary remains the same in the new contract, but the annual value of the contract improves to $750,000 a year. Hudspeth can also earn as much as $105,000 a year in incentive bonuses, based on the team’s performance, both on the field and in the classroom, and for attendance at UL games.

Sun Belt HC Salaries per http://coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm:
ULL(Hud) - $825k
ULM(Berry) - $250k
Ark St(Harsin) - $750k
Troy(Blakeney) - $450k
Texas St(Franchione) - $375k
Western Ky(Petrino) - $1mil
South Ala(Jones) - $400k
Georgia St(Miles) - $400k

Bundy say Hud makes double what Petrino makes for the highest-paid coach in the Sun Belt -- and roughly quadruple league average**

$100k/SEC win.
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/mississippi-coach-hugh-freeze-contract-raise-extension-2-million-dollars-bbva-compass-bowl-pittsburgh-121312

Dawgfan77
11-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Muschamp
You must be a gator fan

Dawgfan77
11-06-2013, 03:10 PM
He would have zero interest.
Why do you say that.

TopDog58
11-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Gruden

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Muschamp

He's an intense bastard, but no thanks. I'd love to have him as a DC, but Not a head coach.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SzaIHqSV5gY/UIyTiHj3TQI/AAAAAAAAB1Q/qvBQy2sikEI/s1600/WillMuschampRant.png

Brahmabull
11-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Tony Dungy!!

was21
11-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Mullen

was21
11-06-2013, 03:33 PM
With all due respect, voicing one's opinion on a message board doesn't carry much clout, if any.

TrapGame
11-06-2013, 03:37 PM
OK, Hud as HC, Campbell as OC, Muschamp as DC and Ed Orgeron as DL coach and ...*wink*wink*... recruiting coordinator. We'd rule the SEC in three years.

EngineerDawg
11-06-2013, 05:04 PM
plan B would be Orgeron... duh. THA RAJUN CAJUN.

nashLA
11-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Mute= can't talk. I think "moot" is the word you want.

EngineerDawg
11-06-2013, 05:06 PM
OK, Hud as HC, Campbell as OC, Muschamp as DC and Ed Orgeron as DL coach and ...*wink*wink*... recruiting coordinator. We'd rule the SEC in three years.

Freezus would shit himself if we hired big O! haha

Schultzy
11-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Freezus would shit himself if we hired big O! haha

Me too.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-06-2013, 05:17 PM
He's an intense bastard, but no thanks. I'd love to have him as a DC, but Not a head coach.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SzaIHqSV5gY/UIyTiHj3TQI/AAAAAAAAB1Q/qvBQy2sikEI/s1600/WillMuschampRant.png

And if he gets canned this year, depending on his buyout, we could get him pretty cheap. Unfortunately, that makes sense. Did we even make an attempt at Chizik last year after he got fired? Of course, there might be clauses in their contracts that won't let them go to another SEC school.

codeDawg
11-06-2013, 05:29 PM
I have heard that HUD wants big bucks to leave Lafayette as in as much or more than Dan is making. I also have heard that HUD does not get along with Stricklin at all. .

How about we let Hud pick his new AD. Two birds, one stone.

bulldogsmsu
11-06-2013, 05:31 PM
There is one former OM coach I wouldn't mind getting. David Cutcliffe.

plan B would be Orgeron... duh. THA RAJUN CAJUN.

Schultzy
11-06-2013, 05:43 PM
And if he gets canned this year, depending on his buyout, we could get him pretty cheap. Unfortunately, that makes sense. Did we even make an attempt at Chizik last year after he got fired? Of course, there might be clauses in their contracts that won't let them go to another SEC school.

No O. No Chizik. Please stop y'all are disturbing me.

No Cut either.

ckDOG
11-06-2013, 05:49 PM

I share a mutual friend with the Hud and I'm getting the opposite story. Not a "I met Hud once" friend, but a regularly catch up / have beers kind of friend. They aren't BFFs either, so take it for what it's worth.

preachermatt83
11-06-2013, 06:14 PM

im sorry but you are out of your mind. Hud Makes less than 1 mil a year and he would leap at the opportunity to come to Starkville for 2 mil a year. Whoever your information is coming from knows very little of the subject. Huds agent is simply posturing to make sure he gets the most he possibly can.

as for a second option it would be bobby petrino. Not only would morris not be interested we will not hire another high profile coordinator. He will have head coaching experience at atleast some level.

Coach34
11-06-2013, 06:21 PM
im sorry but you are out of your mind. Hud Makes less than 1 mil a year and he would leap at the opportunity to come to Starkville for 2 mil a year. Whoever your information is coming from knows very little of the subject. Huds agent is simply posturing to make sure he gets the most he possibly can.

One problem is that we arent going to be the only school to offer Hud a big raise

preachermatt83
11-06-2013, 06:23 PM
One problem is that we arent going to be the only school to offer Hud a big raise

Name some? Not to mention he knows he can recruit ms like crazy due to the ties that he has here and it might not be as easy at other places.

wrb7480
11-06-2013, 06:27 PM

as for a second option it would be bobby petrino. Not only would morris not be interested we will not hire another high profile coordinator. He will have head coaching experience at atleast some level.

Petrino????Really???? WOW!! He has left a mess everywhere he has been. If you're a real preacher, I would think you would have higher standards than Petrino. However, I know a few preachers that are dead-beats themselves.....won't pay bills, etc.etc.etc!!

PMDawg
11-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Petrino????Really???? WOW!! He has left a mess everywhere he has been. If you're a real preacher, I would think you would have higher standards than Petrino. However, I know a few preachers that are dead-beats themselves.....won't pay bills, etc.etc.etc!!

Wow!!!!! That's so relevant and sways everyone's opinions of preachers!!!!!!!**

Coach34
11-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Name some? Not to mention he knows he can recruit ms like crazy due to the ties that he has here and it might not be as easy at other places.

SC has reached out to his agent- Spurrier is getting out this year or next it is believed. That's the only one I have heard about so far. NC, Virginia, Iowa are teams that may be looking. Minnesota also.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 06:45 PM
SC has reached out to his agent- Spurrier is getting out this year or next it is believed. That's the only one I have heard about so far. NC, Virginia, Iowa are teams that may be looking. Minnesota also.

I think Hud would take the MSU job over all the ones mentioned. It's not like Hud should be mad at MSU. MSU has done nothing that should've pissed him off, and I'm sure he'd rather recruit MS, LA, and AL while the coach at MSU than have to recruit areas he has never lived.

Coach34
11-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I think Hud would take the MSU job over all the ones mentioned. It's not like Hud should be mad at MSU. MSU has done nothing that should've pissed him off, and I'm sure he'd rather recruit MS, LA, and AL while the coach at MSU than have to recruit areas he has never lived.

over SC? Seriously?

A state with more talent
A school with more money, an 80K stadium they pack, and they compete in the East- the easier side of the SEC?

He MIGHT choose State to be closer to home- but if he wants to win a title of some sort- he is going to go to SC over State

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 06:57 PM
over SC? Seriously?

A state with more talent
A school with more money, an 80K stadium they pack, and they compete in the East- the easier side of the SEC?

He MIGHT choose State to be closer to home- but if he wants to win a title of some sort- he is going to go to SC over State

You make good points, but I look at SC as a replicable situation. That job is easier than MSU, because its a little closer to recruits and on the easier side of the conference, but your still fighting an uphill battle.

SC wouldn't hire Hud, because Spurrier has built that job into a desirable one that current major college football coaches like, Whittingham, Rich Rod, Gundy, etc. would probably have interest in.

Just don't see SC offering the job to Hud without having to be turned down by 5 or so higher profile coaches before.

preachermatt83
11-06-2013, 07:02 PM

Spurrier will not get out until after next year at the earliest. SC is the only one of the ones mentioned that would have any appeal to Hud.

preachermatt83
11-06-2013, 07:05 PM

agreed

preachermatt83
11-06-2013, 07:08 PM

man I happen to believe in second chances... You know the whole, Mercy and Grace thing... I think Petrino learned a valuable lesson and is the much better man for it.

Coach34
11-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Just don't see SC offering the job to Hud without having to be turned down by 5 or so higher profile coaches before.

Well, he is on their radar because they have made contact. Is he the only one? Of course not. But SC would easily hire a good young coach like him over a more established coach. Depends on their views of the program

preachermatt83
11-06-2013, 07:16 PM
i'd hate to know I would have to follow spurrier at SC because 1) you aren't going to do any better 2) your are probably gonna do worse.

Political Hack
11-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Charlie Strong.

Hud won't move for less than 2.7 is what I've been told, plus his buyout in Lafayette, plus the sale price of his home, plus moving his wife's business. That said, money won't be an issue on our side of things if we think he's worth that kind of investment.

he's more than likely not coming barring some changes to the administration though.

Dawgface
11-06-2013, 07:38 PM
I'd take it over MSU. Based on our track record, he would be lucky to last more than 5-6 years. Either end up losing like Mullen or do well and get put on probation. Not a woe me statement, just our history. I do want Hud BTW, I just can't see him turning down a job like that for us.

engie
11-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Charlie Strong.
Was offered Saban money on Rocky Top last year and turned it down. Currently makes $3.7mil base with almost $600k in performance bonuses.

Hud won't move for less than 2.7 is what I've been told, plus his buyout in Lafayette, plus the sale price of his home, plus moving his wife's business. That said, money won't be an issue on our side of things if we think he's worth that kind of investment.
Sounds largely like agent-speak and negotiation to me. I don't believe any coach has ever come out of the Sun Belt making anywhere near that initially. Malzahn was only worth $2.3 starting out...

he's more than likely not coming barring some changes to the administration though.
Agreed. I'm not the least bit sure that he couldn't get his demands met thought... With every win, he builds tremendous power over us...

Jack Lambert
11-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Might as well make it Saban. Mullen is here another year at the very lest.

Jack Lambert
11-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Spurrier will not get out until after next year at the earliest. SC is the only one of the ones mentioned that would have any appeal to Hud.

As long as he gets the free Augusta National membership as head coach, he is not leaving SC until he is dead.

Coach34
11-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Hud's ex and my ex have been friends for 35 years. Hud's ex thinks there is a chance he could be in SC next year. Baby Mama makes sure she knows where that support check is gonna come from and where her kids will have to travel to

Coach34
11-06-2013, 08:43 PM
As long as he gets the free Augusta National membership as head coach, he is not leaving SC until he is dead.

As a retired SC coach- he will still have that privelege

Political Hack
11-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Was offered Saban money on Rocky Top last year and turned it down. Currently makes $3.7mil base with almost $600k in performance bonuses.

Sounds largely like agent-speak and negotiation to me. I don't believe any coach has ever come out of the Sun Belt making anywhere near that initially. Malzahn was only worth $2.3 starting out...

Agreed. I'm not the least bit sure that he couldn't get his demands met thought... With every win, he builds tremendous power over us...

talking heads in Birmingham actually said that he'd likely be more interested in State than USCw. I found it surprising too, but their proximity to the SEC office would lead me to believe that they know Strong's long term plans include being a head coach in the SEC. I don't have any knowledge that would be he care but found it interesting that they'd throw it out there.

As far as UT goes, their potential sanctions we're still looming if I'm not mistaken and a lot of people anticipated a possible bowl ban and more scholarship losses. Plus some people see UT as a sinking ship. they don't have the national appeal they once did, split in state talent with a once defunct Vandy, have a small African American population, and very little high school talent and have no in-state Jucos to support the school. Plus, they've got a pretty clearly documented financial problem that they're currently digging out of. In the SEC, that's going to eventually ruin you.

wrb7480
11-06-2013, 09:56 PM
man I happen to believe in second chances... You know the whole, Mercy and Grace thing... I think Petrino learned a valuable lesson and is the much better man for it.

I'm certainly a proponent of mercy and grace.....were it not for grace......
But....grace isn't a license to continue in sin.....

Has Petrino learned from his mistakes? Not for me to say...... But he is way beyond a second chance! :)

As for preachers who lie and cheat and not pay their bills, they will ultimately be exposed!

It_Could_Happen
11-06-2013, 10:12 PM
MIKE BOBO

Political Hack
11-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Ellis Johnson***

601Dawg
11-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Charlie Strong.

Same exact info I was told yet old Engie seems to know everything.

Like I said in my original post HUD isn't a Stricklin fan

Coach34
11-06-2013, 11:00 PM

Knowing Mark as I do- he is a "win a championship" guy. He is not going to take a job that he doesnt think can win one. That plus the SC talk, then add in our administration- and I really have a hard time thinking he will take the job. Now if the Big Boys are willing to force some Admin changes to get him in- I'm all for it.
Hud + better Admin > Mullen + Admin problems

dudehead
11-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Knowing Mark as I do- he is a "win a championship" guy. He is not going to take a job that he doesnt think can win one. That plus the SC talk, then add in our administration- and I really have a hard time thinking he will take the job. Now if the Big Boys are willing to force some Admin changes to get him in- I'm all for it.

I tend to agree and think the MSU curse that we are a coach's graveyard tips the balance to him not accepting the job even if offered money in the $2 to $3 mil range.

engie
11-07-2013, 12:13 AM

Bundy, I find it hilarious that you are fighting battles all around the internet for a website owner that you never trusted during the Chris Jones saga and instead went full meltdown on your own. What gives?

Why do people assume that we would let an AD whose seat is about as warm as Mullen's define a FOOTBALL hire and thus prevent us from getting who we really want? Much the same way as Sid Salter MENTIONING a contract extension for Mullen = "It's over" to the people seeing what they want to see instead of looking at reality.

Do you think Bill Battle is Saban's boss?

I think Hudspeth has over a decade of insider knowledge to know exactly what it would take for him to be as successful as possible at his dream job at MSU. Our money people were starting to migrate toward him before this year even happened, when he likely becomes one of, if not, the hottest midmajor coach in the country. With every win, he becomes a bigger name -- and has more power to dictate terms in a search.

If the CB's get ready to pull the plug on Mullen and he says "I want Bracky gone -- and I want at least 50% administrative power over the football team and don't want to 'answer' to Stricklin for x, y, z reasons" -- do you really think we walk away and go the open coaching search route? Or do you think we're going to step up and make that happen?

People that don't want it to happen project is as some kind of impossibly complex situation -- when it's a simple situation... He's going to require us to be "all in" from the get go -- and if we are who I think we are -- his demands will be met.

engie
11-07-2013, 12:27 AM

Why would we assume that the Cigar Boys would even be willing to get rid of Mullen at this point -- without forcing the other changes that many see as a large reason Mullen is failing? That doesn't even make sense, and is essentially putting band aids on bullet wounds. THE CB's ALL realize the same issues that we do -- they aren't deaf, blind, and stupid.

Fact of the matter is -- if a head coaching move is made, there will be a housecleaning in the department giving the best possible chance to be successful longterm. I'm not saying that Hudspeth would get Stricklin fired necessarily -- but it's real easy for us to set them up as what is essentially partners in control of the football program instead of boss employee -- and basically take all of Strick's football-related power away. That already happens at a bunch of major football programs anyway...

My point is -- if the money wants Hud to the extent that I think they do -- they are going to make the shit work out to his satisfaction...

CliffDawg39339
11-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Benjamin

dickiedawg
11-07-2013, 08:49 AM
an AD whose seat is about as warm as Mullen's

What makes you think Stricklin's seat is in any way warm?

Political Hack
11-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Why would we assume that the Cigar Boys would even be willing to get rid of Mullen at this point -- without forcing the other changes that many see as a large reason Mullen is failing? That doesn't even make sense, and is essentially putting band aids on bullet wounds. THE CB's ALL realize the same issues that we do -- they aren't deaf, blind, and stupid.

Fact of the matter is -- if a head coaching move is made, there will be a housecleaning in the department giving the best possible chance to be successful longterm. I'm not saying that Hudspeth would get Stricklin fired necessarily -- but it's real easy for us to set them up as what is essentially partners in control of the football program instead of boss employee -- and basically take all of Strick's football-related power away. That already happens at a bunch of major football programs anyway...

My point is -- if the money wants Hud to the extent that I think they do -- they are going to make the shit work out to his satisfaction...

if they clean up the Admin & if CDM leaves, we'll be in the game for Hud. Otherwise, we won't. that's a lot of churn that would have to happen and I just can't see that big of a shakeup coming at the end of this season. I just don't think Strick's seat is anywhere close to warm.

Dawgfan77
11-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Hack, if it isn't warm then it needs to be. I think we may need a forward bulldawgs to gets that incestous Bryan building cleaned out

Political Hack
11-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Hack, if it isn't warm then it needs to be. I think we may need a forward bulldawgs to gets that incestous Bryan building cleaned out

I'm not disagreeing with you there. I don't necessarily think he's done enough to get fired, but he's sure as hell trending in that direction. I know some of his friends have even lost confidence in him. The basketball search, football scheduling, long standing compliance issues, stadium atmosphere, and his treatment of long time financially invested fans has struck a nerve with some. That last part is probably would could get him on the hot seat, but our boys need to realize that with the SEC money and TV contracts, Birmingham and Bristol are going to have more influence over who we hire and fire than our fans will.

Jack Lambert
11-07-2013, 11:22 AM
As a retired SC coach- he will still have that privelege

Well then I think he is going to hook up sooner then later.

preachermatt83
11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
What makes you think Stricklin's seat is in any way warm?

it started with the way he handled the basketball situation.. I assure you the money men lit his seat on fire the night rick ray was announced!