PDA

View Full Version : Coach Prime getting Terrell Owens for WR coach

TrapGame
09-22-2020, 01:14 PM
That's the rumor. He's going after other NFL guys too for coaching positions.

This is either going to be the greatest experiment in college football or a total disaster.

1bigdawg
09-22-2020, 01:16 PM
Smoooooooooooot!!!! Make it happen!!!!!!

BrunswickDawg
09-22-2020, 01:25 PM
Could be real interesting - get a group of well respected former teammates and friends (who made bank, so the salaries isn't an issue) and give them an alternate route to get into coaching. Give me Prime Time as HC, TO at WR, Donovan McNabb as QB coach, Warren Sapp on the OL, Smoot for the DB's, Jesse Tuggle to coach LB's, Charles Haley coach DL, Emmett Smith to coach RB's. And make it the replacement for Last Chance U on Netflix.

Getcha_a_Burner
09-22-2020, 01:37 PM
https://twitter.com/DeionSanders/status/1308470849310273537?s=20

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2020, 01:42 PM
https://twitter.com/DeionSanders/status/1308470849310273537?s=20

The Shotgun crystal ball says.... This will be a Grade A Shit Show

Commercecomet24
09-22-2020, 01:47 PM

Yeah I'm leaning that way myself.

BrunswickDawg
09-22-2020, 01:51 PM

But, it will be the most entertaining JSU has been since.... ever???

CadaverDawg
09-22-2020, 01:53 PM
He said today that they sent out a ton of offers yesterday, "and not to low level kids...to the biggest recruits in the country."

StateDawg44
09-22-2020, 01:56 PM
He said today that they sent out a ton of offers yesterday, "and not to low level kids...to the biggest recruits in the country."

Like pissing on a forest fire.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2020, 01:56 PM
But, it will be the most entertaining JSU has been since.... ever???

Oh yeah. Like I said in another thread it'll be like Casey Stengel and the '62 Mets, but on steroids.

CadaverDawg
09-22-2020, 01:58 PM
They're saying there will be a movement where top level athletes are going to start choosing HBCU's.

I ain't buying that even a little bit.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2020, 02:04 PM
They're saying there will be a movement where top level athletes are going to start choosing HBCU's.

Me either. Don't see it happening. We all know these blue chips are getting paid and to get paid you have to go to schools with deep pocket boosters.

FISHDAWG
09-22-2020, 02:08 PM
good luck getting those millionaires to move to Jackson, MS

Jack Lambert
09-22-2020, 02:15 PM

I can see it, a kid struggling to decide between SWAC or the SEC*****

Indndawg
09-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Too many egos. There will be a fight a week. Should be fun to watch

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2020, 02:22 PM
Me either. Don't see it happening. We all know these blue chips are getting paid and to get paid you have to go to schools with deep pocket boosters.

It's really irrelevant. The Power 5 brands are what people cheer for, not the players.

If the best player in the country choose HBCUs, Bama would still have 100K, MSU 60K, & LSU 100K.

It makes no difference.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2020, 02:24 PM
It's really irrelevant. The Power 5 brands are what people cheer for, not the players.

If the best player in the country choose HBCUs, Bama would still have 100K, MSU 60K, & LSU 100K.

It makes no difference.

I realize that, what i'm saying is the HBCU's can't afford these elite athletes and these athletes are all about getting paid. They're not going to go somewhere where they ain't getting the money joe bobs getting.

TrapGame
09-22-2020, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I don't see a bunch of former NFL greats tracking all the way down to Jackson to coach a team to a SWAC championship.

StarkVegasSteve
09-22-2020, 02:44 PM
It's like I've said since all this started, this is going to be an unmitigated disaster and I hope we get a reality show out of it. No top recruit is going to forgo playing at Bama, USC, OSU, etc. to come play against Prairie View at the Vet in front of 10K people. If he's smart, which I'm not convinced he is, he'll go after JUCO guys and guys in the G5 who are looking to take a step down.

However, none of that solves the fact that I don't believe he's a very good coach. This guy is an OC at a high school in TX and couldn't call an offense to beat an MAIS team. And that's not a knock on MRA, but with all the D1 athletes they supposedly have it shouldn't be rocket science to figure out how to win against an overmatched opponent.

CadaverDawg
09-22-2020, 02:53 PM
Another thing he said was that JSU averages 33,000 fans at their games. What? He might should have fact checked that first. JSU is not out drawing USM are they? I admittedly haven't been to a game to see if that's true, but I cannot fathom them having 33k fans at every game.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2020, 03:04 PM
Another thing he said was that JSU averages 33,000 fans at their games. What? He might should have fact checked that first. JSU is not out drawing USM are they? I admittedly haven't been to a game to see if that's true, but I cannot fathom them having 33k fans at every game.

Last year in 5 home games JSU averaged 33,600. I was shocked as heck to see that!

Bothrops
09-22-2020, 03:14 PM

I doubt they outdraw USM, but some games they probably come close.

Jack Lambert
09-22-2020, 03:16 PM

They probably do. They sell tickets at the gate for 2$.

hp22
09-22-2020, 03:16 PM
I can definitely see the HBCU movement occurring in NCAA Baseketball. It is a numbers game and all it takes is a high profile guy or two really good ones and guys that know their role. Football, the numbers are too big and would require an orchestrated effort. One or two players can turn a basketball team around quick.

StarkVegasSteve
09-22-2020, 03:19 PM
I can definitely see the HBCU movement occurring in NCAA Baseketball. It is a numbers game and all it takes is a high profile guy or two really good ones and guys that know their role. Football, the numbers are too big and would require an orchestrated effort. One or two players can turn a basketball team around quick.

Well and basketball has the ability to play a bunch of non conference games as well as they have the tournament. College football doesn't have a tournament and I imagine we're about to see the end of FCS school getting buy games left and right. Fans want to see compelling games.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2020, 03:20 PM
33,600 average attendance at 5 home games for JSU last year. Shocking but true.

Bothrops
09-22-2020, 03:32 PM

I'm surprised if true, but how do we know? This is JSU numbers right?

Commercecomet24
09-22-2020, 03:35 PM
I'm surprised if true, but how do we know? This is JSU numbers right?

It's on the ESPN website with the total attendance in the box scores of each game. Now whether or not those numbers are legit, I don't know, but it's whats being reported.

StateDawg44
09-22-2020, 03:46 PM
It's on the ESPN website with the total attendance in the box scores of each game. Now whether or not those numbers are legit, I don't know, but it's whats being reported.

What's the angle for a school like JSU to be propping up attendance numbers?

I guess I get a D1 school doing it.

BeardoMSU
09-22-2020, 05:09 PM
Things will be lit when Prime hires Lawrence Taylor to be LB coach, lol. The chalk-lines on the football field will be made with actual cocaine.**

CadaverDawg
09-22-2020, 05:10 PM
Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless say Ole Miss and State should be scared, because "Deion will be out recruiting Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin in that State"

These guys get paid for their sports talk. This is laughable

BeardoMSU
09-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless say Ole Miss and State should be scared, because "Deion will be out recruiting Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin in that State"

Oh, lol...coupling this with his mental health take, Skip is really going all out for dipshit of the year.

That show is so awful. There is zero nuance to their discussions at all....it's like they are contractually obligated to take polar-opposite takes on every issue regardless of how much lunacy it entails.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2020, 06:41 PM
Oh, lol...coupling this with his mental health take, Skip is really going all out for dipshit of the year.

That show is so awful. There is zero nuance to their discussions at all....it's like they are contractually obligated to take polar-opposite takes on every issue regardless of how much lunacy it entails.

Nail on head.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2020, 06:43 PM

I'm sure Leach and kifiin are scared to death.

Todd4State
09-22-2020, 06:51 PM
Could be real interesting - get a group of well respected former teammates and friends (who made bank, so the salaries isn't an issue) and give them an alternate route to get into coaching. Give me Prime Time as HC, TO at WR, Donovan McNabb as QB coach, Warren Sapp on the OL, Smoot for the DB's, Jesse Tuggle to coach LB's, Charles Haley coach DL, Emmett Smith to coach RB's. And make it the replacement for Last Chance U on Netflix.

If Charles Haley is on your coaching staff you better make sure he is on his meds or he will poop on Deion's desk. Which is pretty much why the 49ers traded him to the Cowboys. Except trade George Seifert for Deion.

This is more like watching a train wreck from five miles away.

IF that happens I suspect it will be a fad and go away pretty soon. Or the legit guys that actually pan out will transfer out to somewhere that they can showcase their talents. History of this is not on their side. JSU is actually really in between D-II and FCS football. They have never won a playoff game in their history and HBCU's have a long history of stuggling and getting blown out in the playoffs.

If they do I suspect most of them will be doing it for something to do. Until they get tired and decide to move on in about a year.

It's like I've said since all this started, this is going to be an unmitigated disaster and I hope we get a reality show out of it. No top recruit is going to forgo playing at Bama, USC, OSU, etc. to come play against Prairie View at the Vet in front of 10K people. If he's smart, which I'm not convinced he is, he'll go after JUCO guys and guys in the G5 who are looking to take a step down.

However, none of that solves the fact that I don't believe he's a very good coach. This guy is an OC at a high school in TX and couldn't call an offense to beat an MAIS team. And that's not a knock on MRA, but with all the D1 athletes they supposedly have it shouldn't be rocket science to figure out how to win against an overmatched opponent.

A reality show is probably the best thing that they could hope to get out of this. If he puts together his all-NFL staff I actually don't think they will recruit well either. Recruiting is a sales job and you're talking about players with already massive egos whose whole pitch is come play for me because I am awesome. I mean that worked out so well for Dan Mullen.**

Last year in 5 home games JSU averaged 33,600. I was shocked as heck to see that!

I actually could believe having worked across the street from there for years and having seen the crowds. They play in a stadium that is pretty large- I think the Vet seats 72K?- so 33K attendance for them would be filling the stadium less than half full. They have a lot of fans and alumni in the largest city in the state and they sell tickets for cheap like Jack Lambert said- meaning they're accessible to pretty much everyone. I would imagine that most of their alumni stay in Jackson too- probably unlike Alcorn and Valley. They have the resources to be a HBCU superpower in football. However they keep hiring people like Deion Sander. They don't have a John Cohen who has actual sports sense. If they went out and hired Rod Broadway- NC A&T's former head coach who is 65 and led them to an undefeated season including a win over Charlotte- they could be the elite team in the SWAC in about three years.

They're both idiots. It's only a matter of time before they say something stupid enough- I thought Bayless's take on mental illness might be it- or do something stupid- like Shannon Sharpe with another sexual assault charge to get taken off the air. Unfortunately there is plenty more where that came from.

TUSK
09-23-2020, 01:53 AM
there's some myopia within this thread....

msbulldog
09-23-2020, 06:10 AM

That's right all the best players would jump at a chance to play in the SWAC vs. the SEC. They'll love the superior facilities at JSU and the outstanding neighborHOOD.

msbulldog
09-23-2020, 06:17 AM
Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium hold 60,492.

shoeless joe
09-23-2020, 06:32 AM
Has anyone heard from rob jay since deion was announced?!? I’m worried the excitement was too much for him

Ari Gold
09-23-2020, 07:04 AM

Tailgating..
$2-$10 tickets.
3/4 go To watch the bands at halftime..
Not surprising at all. Actually thought it might be a little more than that

JSU / Alcorn games used to sellout that stadium back a few years ago .

BrunswickDawg
09-23-2020, 07:35 AM
If Charles Haley is on your coaching staff you better make sure he is on his meds or he will poop on Deion's desk. Which is pretty much why the 49ers traded him to the Cowboys. Except trade George Seifert for Deion.

Every staff has to have that one "crazy uncle" on it!

msbulldog
09-24-2020, 06:12 AM
Tailgating..
$2-$10 tickets.
3/4 go To watch the bands at halftime..
Not surprising at all. Actually thought it might be a little more than that

JSU / Alcorn games used to sellout that stadium back a few years ago .

I was at the Soul Bowl when Willie Totten and the Satellite Express featuring Jerry Rice coached by Archie 'The Gunslinger' Cooley played Alcorn featuring Ike Holt on Defense coached by 'The Godfather' Mario Casem. And the Battle of the bands at halftime was as good as the football! Ooooo Yeah, that was a helluva sellout.

dantheman4248
09-24-2020, 08:48 AM
I was at the Soul Bowl when Willie Totten and the Satellite Express featuring Jerry Rice coached by Archie 'The Gunslinger' Cooley played Alcorn featuring Ike Holt on Defense coached by 'The Godfather' Mario Casem. And the Battle of the bands at halftime was as good as the football! Ooooo Yeah, that was a helluva sellout.

The Soul Bowl is JSU-ASU not MVSU-ASU....