PDA

View Full Version : Serious question: Do we play Russell more the next three weeks?

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2013, 01:02 PM
The reason I ask is because Dak took a pounding this past weekend and I want him healthy come Egg bowl.

I can't be the only person thinking this. Also, I think Russell would be a nice change of pace, as long as we don't ask him to run QB counters.

We play Bama and then Arkansas and all the talk lately has been how the game after Bama is a tough game for an SEC team because of the physical pounding your team takes - and since Arkansas is clearly winnable, should we be a little more conservative with Dak in that game especially?

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 01:05 PM
In the best interest for the future of our program, Dak needs to play every snap possible. Dak makes rookie mistakes that I would prefer him to get out of his system this year, and thus be ready to do work next year.

The last thing I want is to go into next season still wondering if Dak has the experience and poise to play in crunch time.

Dak won't get better sitting on the sidelines.

We always think of worst case scenario, but MSU won't get anywhere by being conservative. We need to "go for it".

What if Dak has success against Bama? Imagine what that will do for his confidence. I am all for MSU always erroring on the aggressive side, rather than the conservative side. Playing scared will keep MSU at the bottom.

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2013, 01:08 PM
In the best interest for the future of our program, Dak needs to play every snap possible. Dak makes rookie mistakes that I would prefer him to get out of his system this year, and thus be ready to do work next year.

The last thing I want is to go into next season still wondering if Dak has the experience and poise to play in crunch time.

Dak won't get better sitting on the sidelines.

I don't want him sitting on the sidelines - I just don't want him running the ball 15-20 times.

He has the most rushing attempts on the team I believe. I want him to play, I just want him healthy.

FISHDAWG
11-06-2013, 01:08 PM
I think a big reason we haven't seen more of Russell is we have no compliments (WR's) to his talents ..... you would see more of him if we still had Chris Smith, Arceto Clark, & Chad Bumphis ..... I for one still think TR is a heck of a good QB - it's not his fault he has so little to work with .... but I think your question is a pretty good one, ( play more TR against Bama & rest up Dak) problem is that Dan would catch even more grief if he were to sit Dak

DawgInMemphis
11-06-2013, 01:09 PM
The reason I ask is because Dak took a pounding this past weekend and I want him healthy come Egg bowl.

I can't be the only person thinking this. Also, I think Russell would be a nice change of pace, as long as we don't ask him to run QB counters.

We play Bama and then Arkansas and all the talk lately has been how the game after Bama is a tough game for an SEC team because of the physical pounding your team takes - and since Arkansas is clearly winnable, should we be a little more conservative with Dak in that game especially?

I think this is one of the reasons we passed the ball as many times as we did last week. Ideally I'd like Dak to tote it 5-8 times a game, with a HEALTHY dose of our bigger backs running downhill and Perk in space.

starkvegasdawg
11-06-2013, 01:10 PM
I don't want him sitting on the sidelines - I just don't want him running the ball 15-20 times.

He has the most rushing attempts on the team I believe. I want him to play, I just want him healthy.

Just for the sake of argument. Any idea how many of those rushes are called and how many are him running because protection breaks down due to a blitz or no WR's coming open?

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Just for the sake of argument. Any idea how many of those rushes are called and how many are him running because protection breaks down due to a blitz or no WR's coming open?

No idea - but you have to consider that Russell has split snaps with him in some games - so when he is in the game, he is running it a ton. I just want the big guy healthy.

Barking 13
11-06-2013, 01:35 PM
I personally am on Team Dak, but still think Russell has some tools. I think he should play. I'd like to see us run the "I" with TR under center, JRob and Nick, Shump, or whoever in the backfield. Grind 4+ ypc to almost the red zone, burning tons of clock, then slam it home to a deep receiver out of the play action... every series... then if they get that figured out,bring Dak in for the zone reads and diamond formations..

I think this was the original plan for this year, except the "I", of course... I hate the run out of the shotgun.

slickdawg
11-06-2013, 01:51 PM
I noted this in another thread, and I'll say it again.

Tyler Russell is our guy, record setting QB at State. We've tooled the entire offense around him and his tremendous arm. We are so engrained in this and so dedicated to it, we gave up the second fewest sacks in the SEC even though we all feel Tyler holds on to the ball too long at times. He's a 5th year senior, it's his team, custom made for him.

Spring ball: 1 healthy scholarship QB (Tyler) who was coming off a knee issue from Dec/Jan. Dak had turf toe surgery and was out for spring ball, and not cleared until late July.

Summer / fall camp: Tyler has worked with receivers, Dak has been limited and has to play catch up.

Game 1, Oklahoma State, Tyler looks crisp, goes downfield, Tyler scrambles and slides, OSU LB hits him up high, takes a shot to the head. Completes a check down to LDP, Tyler is 5/5 thus far. Next play, Tyler just about throws a pick at the goal line, aiming for Tubby. LDP runs a play, Tyler calls timeout next play. Throws to LDP in the flat for a first down, negated by Morrow holding. Tyler then has to throw it away. We kick a FG.

Next series, starting at out own 15, Perkins runs right for 19 and 20, then up the middle for 2, then 5. Russell floats it too high in the flat for LDP, tipped, picked. The DB didn't have possession before he stepped on the line, but that's a different story. My point is, Tyler wasn't the same after the hit. We run four straight plays, then pass, it's a bad pass, and picked.

Later in the game, Tyler officially gets a concussion, Dak has a baptism by fire. Dak isn't the refined passer that Tyler is, but he is more mobile.

Tyler is out a month, we have to take our true run spread option QB and put him behind the reigns of a schematically pass oriented offense.

You don't spend two years prepping for a pass oriented offense, then easily switch back to the spread. That's a task for spring camp, not during the season. This is a major contributor to why we are where we are.