PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 02:11 PM

Who the hell is Londyn Craft?

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 02:14 PM
Our secondary is going to be atrocious. You've got two sophomores and two freshmen on the 2-deep at corner, and we've got a walk-on starting at SS.

JohnnyDawg
09-21-2020, 02:16 PM
No CJ Morgan, Janari Dean, or Landon Guidry on the two-deep at Safety?

chef dixon
09-21-2020, 02:16 PM
Londyn Craft for Heisman

HailStateSZN19
09-21-2020, 02:17 PM
Oh boy.....If Craft is our starting SS then geez....

Tulu running 3rd team behind Cam? I figured Tulu would be 2nd team behind Malik. Maybe they're just hiding him on the depth chart.

Shavers overtaking Mitchell is exciting. Matt Wyatt said that after the first couple weeks of camp, Shavers turned it on and really starting elevating his game.

Ruiz beat out Christmann for FG kicker.

Jaden Walley is gonna turn some heads this year. Kid can really play and he's just scratching the surface of the nuances of playing WR full time.

I think our front 6 is going to be pretty good and I think Emerson and Murphy will be some dudes in the secondary. We need Peters to pick up where he left off and elevate his game. The rest of the secondary is scary. And we can't afford an injury at LB either.

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 02:18 PM
I think we can be very good offensively.

StarkVegasSteve
09-21-2020, 02:21 PM
People are sleeping on Cam Gardner. He's a big body and can play. He's going to be another WR you see this year and wonder how the previous staff misused him so bad.

confucius say
09-21-2020, 02:23 PM
Wheat ahead of Davis is a surprise to me

Jarius
09-21-2020, 02:25 PM
Will have to see if the depth chart is real or not Saturday but if it is it shows the coaches are going to play who they feel is doing the best no matter what you did last year or what your star ranking is. I think Craft at SS is a message but maybe he has played the best.

chef dixon
09-21-2020, 02:26 PM
We may not know who our best WR is after Saturday. Stingley is going to make whoever he's covering look pretty bad.

StarkVegasSteve
09-21-2020, 02:31 PM
We may not know who our best WR is after Saturday. Stingley is going to make whoever he's covering look pretty bad.

Truth. We need to take the production of whoever Stingley covers with a grain of salt. He's might be the best DB to ever come out of LSU. Definitely the best since Peterson.

Hot Rock
09-21-2020, 02:32 PM
Heath or Gardner Griffin backing them up at the X WR spot... with Shavers Mitchell Ducking or JOnes at the Y

I am pumped about Cam Gardner getting in there! I love it myself. I work with his DAD and went to school with his uncle, both great guys.

They kept telling me he was progressing. My interest got a jump start when Leech mentioned Cam in the latest press conference, now... I am pumped. I hope that dude blows it up!

Hot Rock
09-21-2020, 02:36 PM
People are sleeping on Cam Gardner. He's a big body and can play. He's going to be another WR you see this year and wonder how the previous staff misused him so bad.

To be fair, he has gained a lot of muscle since he got to State, he was younger than most coming out of HS, I think only 17.

BeardoMSU
09-21-2020, 02:41 PM
Looks at secondary...

https://i.imgur.com/2tyZcLl.gif

Negative Waves
09-21-2020, 02:53 PM
With that secondary, we might average 50 points a game on offense and still lose.

bulldawg28
09-21-2020, 03:27 PM
Our secondary is going to be atrocious. You've got two sophomores and two freshmen on the 2-deep at corner, and we've got a walk-on starting at SS.

Do you not understand how hard this kid works if he's playing as a walk-on?

bulldawg28
09-21-2020, 03:29 PM
Tucker Day seems like he's been here 20 years

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 03:31 PM

I understand. I also understand that it means the guys he's ahead of probably aren't too good.

I can buy spin, but you can't spin having a walk on start for us as a good thing. Nothing against the kid, I'm sure he's a hard worker.

Johnson85
09-21-2020, 03:32 PM

Remind me where Cam Gardner came from and what the expectations were for him? I'm assuming at 6'4, 220, if he wasn't a bigtime recruit there must have been concern about his speed?

Jack Lambert
09-21-2020, 03:33 PM

He might just be a badass.

Jarius
09-21-2020, 03:42 PM
I understand. I also understand that it means the guys he's ahead of probably aren't too good.

I can buy spin, but you can't spin having a walk on start for us as a good thing. Nothing against the kid, I'm sure he's a hard worker.

Leach has a walk on in the nfl as one of the better receivers in the game right now. The number 1 pick in the nfl draft was a walk on a couple of years ago. JJ Watt was a walk on. I believe our secondary is going to struggle but that guy beating out someone like Janari Dean and about 3 other scholarship players says a lot about him. He looks like a scholarship type athlete on his hudl and played at IMG against outstanding competition. He may be the worst safety we have ever put on the field for all I know.

Cowbell
09-21-2020, 03:42 PM

I miss Josh Morgan.

Cooterpoot
09-21-2020, 04:10 PM
1. Some of you are reading the depth chart wrong.
2. The initial depth chart isn't really legit. Some things are done for other reasons.

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 04:13 PM
Leach has a walk on in the nfl as one of the better receivers in the game right now. The number 1 pick in the nfl draft was a walk on a couple of years ago. JJ Watt was a walk on. I believe our secondary is going to struggle but that guy beating out someone like Janari Dean and about 3 other scholarship players says a lot about him. He looks like a scholarship type athlete on his hudl and played at IMG against outstanding competition. He may be the worst safety we have ever put on the field for all I know.

That's fine. But I can name more walk ons that didn't make it to the nfl than those who did.

Regardless, it doesn't matter if it's a walk on back there or a scholly guy. We're gonna get lit up

bulldawg28
09-21-2020, 04:14 PM

He has to be.

Jarius
09-21-2020, 04:18 PM
That's fine. But I can name more walk ons that didn't make it to the nfl than those who did.

Regardless, it doesn't matter if it's a walk on back there or a scholly guy. We're gonna get lit up

Yea, I can too. He isn’t starting because we don’t have scholarship athletes to pick from at his position though. He was scout team player of the week under Moorhead on a consistent basis. He’s probably not as good as we need. You’re probably right. Could we at least wait until he does something wrong and we actually get lit up before we clutch our pearls though? If he beat out scholarship players he’s not you or me walking around back there.

BiscuitEater
09-21-2020, 04:22 PM
Oh boy.....If Craft is our starting SS then geez....

Can you at least let the kid play a game 'before' you throw him under the bus!

According to the chart, he beat out
CJ Morgan, Janari Dean, and Landon Guidry.

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 04:23 PM
Yea, I can too. He isn’t starting because we don’t have scholarship athletes to pick from at his position though. He was scout team player of the week under Moorhead on a consistent basis. He’s probably not as good as we need. You’re probably right. Could we at least wait until he does something wrong and we actually get lit up before we clutch our pearls though? If he beat out scholarship players he’s not you or me walking around back there.

Well I would hope he wasn't me and you back there. Not sure why that's relevant. I'm not dogging him. I'm sure he works hard. Vanderbilt has players who work hard too.

Bothrops
09-21-2020, 04:30 PM
I don't think our defense will be good enough to exploit any of LSU's teething issues on offense.

confucius say
09-21-2020, 04:35 PM

I mean that's usually true. But it happens. Pretty sure josh Morgan was a walk on initially. Let's just see what the season brings.

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 04:39 PM
I mean that's usually true. But it happens. Pretty sure josh Morgan was a walk on initially. Let's just see what the season brings.
No, I want to overreact now

Jarius
09-21-2020, 04:43 PM
Well I would hope he wasn't me and you back there. Not sure why that's relevant. I'm not dogging him. I'm sure he works hard. Vanderbilt has players who work hard too.

It’s relevant because you are acting like him being a walk on automatically makes him terrible. He isn’t playing because of injuries. He is working hard and beating out scholarship players that are better than Vanderbilt players. If he is good enough to beat out Janari Dean and the Collin Duncan kid then he is probably at least serviceable. Those 2 players had multiple big time SEC offers. Or maybe he isn’t and our coach has no idea of what he’s doing. We will find out in a few days.

Johnson85
09-21-2020, 04:48 PM
1. Some of you are reading the depth chart wrong.
2. The initial depth chart isn't really legit. Some things are done for other reasons.

Yea, I have no clue how Leach does it, but it seems pretty common at high school and college level for initial depth charts to reward practice warriors and sometimes motivate talented players that aren't practice warriors.

Hot Rock
09-21-2020, 05:01 PM
Remind me where Cam Gardner came from and what the expectations were for him? I'm assuming at 6'4, 220, if he wasn't a bigtime recruit there must have been concern about his speed?

Cameron Gardner came out of Starkville in 2017 /18 year and was not highly recruited. Rated a three star and a lower range of .833 rating. 247 says he was 6' 4" and 215lbs but if he weighed more than 190 I would be shocked. I don't think the questions were his speed but more his ability to contribute right away. He was a year younger than most coming out of HS at age 17 and needed another year or two to grow and develop.

I have been trying to keep up with him since I knew his family but not him. They loved his hands and his ability to catch last year, he just was not strong enough to be an SEC WR yet. Now, he has been working and still growing and he maybe close to that size listed now. I would not call him a late bloomer because he came in almost a year younger than so many HS players. Looking at his highlights, he can go up after a ball and has good hands.

I really think this guy could be a good one for us, at least I see the possibilities.

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 05:27 PM
It’s relevant because you are acting like him being a walk on automatically makes him terrible. He isn’t playing because of injuries. He is working hard and beating out scholarship players that are better than Vanderbilt players. If he is good enough to beat out Janari Dean and the Collin Duncan kid then he is probably at least serviceable. Those 2 players had multiple big time SEC offers. Or maybe he isn’t and our coach has no idea of what he’s doing. We will find out in a few days.
I never said he was terrible.

Cooterpoot
09-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Can you at least let the kid play a game 'before' you throw him under the bus!

According to the chart, he beat out
CJ Morgan, Janari Dean, and Landon Guidry.

Morgan isn't 100% yet.

Jarius
09-21-2020, 05:54 PM
I never said he was terrible.

You’ve implied it pretty heavily throughout the thread. Every starter in the secondary outside
of he and Furge are going to be some of the best players on our defsense, so if you believe our secondary is going to be atrocious you are saying this guy is the reason.

Heydawg
09-21-2020, 06:05 PM
Do you think he will make it back this season

Coach34
09-21-2020, 06:45 PM
Im not 100% but I think Rob Morgan was the walk-on. Josh was a damn baller.

Our Secondary is going to get torched.
I hate that for Lashley. He would have played a good bit even if he didnt start. OL should still be pretty good.
Osirus not starting would be a surprise.
Make sure you click on the extra time when recording our games this season. Gonna be some 4 hour long shootouts

Todd4State
09-21-2020, 06:59 PM
Craft is a walk on from IMG in Florida. His Dad played in the NFL and in Canada so he has some good bloodlines even though he is a walk on. I hope he is a badass.

Todd4State
09-21-2020, 06:59 PM

I hate that for Lashley. He would have played a good bit even if he didnt start. OL should still be pretty good.
Make sure you click on the extra time when recording our games this season. Gonna be some 4 hour long shootouts

Josh was the walk on. Even though he was the better player.

Todd4State
09-21-2020, 07:04 PM

Josh was the walk on. Even though he was the better player.

ZedFedder
09-21-2020, 07:33 PM
Craft is a walk on from IMG in Florida. His Dad played in the NFL and in Canada so he has some good bloodlines even though he is a walk on. I hope he is a badass.

I?ll reserve judgment until I see him play. Ben Beckwith was a walk on, so maybe this guy is the next in line to be a good walk on.

Coach34
09-21-2020, 07:43 PM
I?ll reserve judgment until I see him play. Ben Beckwith was a walk on, so maybe this guy is the next in line to be a good walk on.

My concern is that he weighs 230. I dont see how in the hell he can cover slots at 230.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-21-2020, 07:56 PM
My concern is that he weighs 230. I dont see how in the hell he can cover slots at 230.

You know something we don't? The depth chart lists him at 200. Heaviest DB on the 2 deep is 210

Coach34
09-21-2020, 07:58 PM
Jesus- I've got to hurry up and have eye surgery

Todd4State
09-21-2020, 08:04 PM

Absolutely. He may be a guy that is football junkie because of his Dad and went to IMG in Florida despite the fact that he is from New Mexico to try to play for a top flight program and maybe he decided "I am SEC caliber and if I have to walk on to show them I will." I don't know his back story really. But I'll definitely give him a shot.

Jarius
09-21-2020, 08:39 PM
You know something we don't? The depth chart lists him at 200. Heaviest DB on the 2 deep is 210

He gained the COVID 19 after they weighed for the depth chart **

HailStateSZN19
09-21-2020, 08:53 PM

Sounds like Osirus not starting is a good surprise.

Matt Wyatt has been at several practices and he said Shavers got comfortable a few weeks after he started practicing and he?s been elevating his game ever since. So it?s a good thing in my eyes that the Bama transfer has indeed come in and made the WR better and is apparently better than who most of us thought was our best WR and most experienced returning WR. We need Shavers to live up to his potential.

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 09:08 PM
You’ve implied it pretty heavily throughout the thread. Every starter in the secondary outside
of he and Furge are going to be some of the best players on our defsense, so if you believe our secondary is going to be atrocious you are saying this guy is the reason.
Nope. You don't understand what I'm saying. Can't help you.

defiantdog
09-21-2020, 09:12 PM
We're gonna need to score 100 points a game to even compete. LSU lost a lot of defensive players and replaced them with 4 and 5 stars. We lost a lot and replaced with a walk-on that some folks seem to be comparing to Abram. Take the glasses off boys. I thought we were gonna win 4, but that may be pushing it.

confucius say
09-21-2020, 09:27 PM
The fact that shavers is ahead of Osirus is a good thing. Osirus, to this point in his career, has been an average sec receiver. I'm glad our starter is better than that.

I think we are sleeping on our wr play

Cowbell
09-21-2020, 09:27 PM
We're gonna need to score 100 points a game to even compete. LSU lost a lot of defensive players and replaced them with 4 and 5 stars. We lost a lot and replaced with a walk-on that some folks seem to be comparing to Abram. Take the glasses off boys. I thought we were gonna win 4, but that may be pushing it.
Melt much?

ShotgunDawg
09-21-2020, 09:29 PM
We're gonna need to score 100 points a game to even compete.

Goodness, gain some perspective

Jarius
09-21-2020, 09:33 PM
Nope. You don't understand what I'm saying. Can't help you.

“I can buy spin, but you can't spin having a walk on start for us as a good thing”

You said that. If you didn’t mean that then you don’t even know what the hell you’re even taking about. You can’t help me because you talk in circles too scared to admit you don’t have a damn clue how good this player is and you backed yourself into a corner. Your inability to communicate is a you problem, not mine.

defiantdog
09-21-2020, 09:34 PM
Melt much?
Like butter on a steak

confucius say
09-21-2020, 09:36 PM
I suspect arnett will play more zone than he ever has before to protect the young corners. That's not his M.O., so we will see, but it would not surprise me.

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 09:45 PM
“I can buy spin, but you can't spin having a walk on start for us as a good thing”

You said that. If you didn’t mean that then you don’t even know what the hell you’re even taking about. You can’t help me because you talk in circles too scared to admit you don’t have a damn clue how good this player is and you backed yourself into a corner. Your inability to communicate is a you problem, not mine.

"so if you believe our secondary is going to be atrocious you are saying this guy is the reason."

No the reason our secondary is going to be atrocious is bc of the lack of depth and experience. I'm not willing to say it'll solely be on this guy. You're the one who put those words in my mouth. I haven't backed myself into a corner. A walk-on starting for us isn't a good thing. I stand by that.

Jarius
09-21-2020, 09:52 PM
"so if you believe our secondary is going to be atrocious you are saying this guy is the reason."

No the reason our secondary is going to be atrocious is bc of the lack of depth and experience. I'm not willing to say it'll solely be on this guy. You're the one who put those words in my mouth. I haven't backed myself into a corner. A walk-on starting for us isn't a good thing. I stand by that.

A walk on starting has nothing to do with why we may suck in the secondary when the reason he is starting has nothing to do with injuries. Teams have 1 walk on start or get a scholarship on a yearly basis and the teams make a huge deal out of putting them on scholarship. Your other reasons you are bringing up are valid, but this has nothing to do with the other and you are back peddling. Have a good night.

Ari Gold
09-21-2020, 09:54 PM
Wheat ahead of Davis is a surprise to me

Davis has been hurt... when he gets back to full health he will be a big time player for us..
Wheat Is a very good option .. and is better than both Leo and Tim Washington

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 09:56 PM
you are back peddling

Nah.

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 09:56 PM
Davis has been hurt... when he gets back to full health he will be a big time player for us..

That'll be a position of strength, especially next year after both guys have a year under their belt.

TrapGame
09-21-2020, 10:16 PM
I suspect arnett will play more zone than he ever has before to protect the young corners. That's not his M.O., so we will see, but it would not surprise me.

Nope, Arnett is going to do what he always does. If we get burned, we get burned. He's going for pressure and turnovers.

HailStateSZN19
09-21-2020, 10:34 PM

Ari, what you hear on Shavers? Gotta say, I?m pumped he?s apparently come on strong enough to move past Osirus to take a starting spot.

And do you expect Malik Heath to play or be suspended?

Ari Gold
09-22-2020, 05:55 AM
Ari, what you hear on Shavers? Gotta say, I?m pumped he?s apparently come on strong enough to move past Osirus to take a starting spot.

And do you expect Malik Heath to play or be suspended?

The depth chart with the WR doesn’t really mean in that much IMO... guys will be rotating in a lot..
but it’s a good sign IMO with Shavers ..
With Heath I have no idea .. may e CML handled this in house and Heath plays..

USS Relf
09-22-2020, 06:41 AM
I understand the value of having someone with good hands at punt returner but Austin Williams? He maybe the least explosive WR on the roster.

Hambone
09-22-2020, 07:16 AM
When is the last time we had a legitimate punt return 15+ yards anyway?

Not meant as a negative, just trying to think back and I’ve got nothing. All I can think about is Smokey being back there and wishing we just put all 11 on the line and went after the punter...... *cringes at the thought*

KOdawg1
09-22-2020, 07:57 AM
When is the last time we had a legitimate punt return 15+ yards anyway?

Not meant as a negative, just trying to think back and I’ve got nothing. All I can think about is Smokey being back there and wishing we just put all 11 on the line and went after the punter...... *cringes at the thought*

2015 was the last time we had a KO return for a TD. 2017 was the last time we had a punt returned for a TD. Our special teams has been well below average the last few years.

Johnson85
09-22-2020, 08:01 AM
The fact that shavers is ahead of Osirus is a good thing. Osirus, to this point in his career, has been an average sec receiver. I'm glad our starter is better than that.

I think we are sleeping on our wr play

Osirus has showed flashes of above average ability, but he hasn't even been average in the SEC, at least for somebody in a starting role. Not bashing him. He's been disadvantaged by coaching/scheme and if I remember he didn't play much football in high school (either b/c he focused on basketball or jsut started late? I may be getting him confused with the guy that was dismissed). I hope a new offense and better coaching makes a difference.

Cooterpoot
09-22-2020, 08:15 AM
Shavers and Osirus are an either/or. There's no difference and both will get similar reps.
Also, the talk seems to be that Heath will play, but it's a wait and see.

HailStateSZN19
09-22-2020, 08:29 AM
Shavers and Osirus are an either/or. There's no difference and both will get similar reps.
Also, the talk seems to be that Heath will play, but it's a wait and see.

Gosh we need Heath active. Whoever Stingley is covering is going to be shut down & I'd love for it to be Heath that's matched up with LSU's freshman CB on the opposite side.

Either Shavers/Osirus or Heath/Tulu will be locked up with Stingley on one side so we need Heath active to either hold up Stingley and pose somewhat of a challenge to him or we need him to win the matchup with their brand new CB they're breaking in on the other side. I get it usually takes JUCO's a little while to get acclimated but it sounds like Heath has been as advertised based off his hype coming out of HS and if he can get more consistent then he could be one of the best WR's to come through in a long time.

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Brandon Holloway had one, if memory serves.

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2020, 09:10 AM
Here is the interesting X factor if you will on all of our receivers. They may have caught more balls in the past 6 weeks than they did in 12 weeks last year. They will get targeted consistently throughout a game due to how much emphasis Leach puts on distributing the ball and all WRs being active during the game. Unlike is slomo's offense, every single WR is looking to get the ball on every single snap. The QB is not going to run for much. The RB isn't going to get their yards running the ball. Those 66% of plays will now be pretty much open for receivers and backs out of the backfield. They know they are going to get the ball and get it quick. A lot easier for WRs to get into the zone, when they constantly do not have to think the QB is going to run constantly.

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2020, 09:11 AM
Someone may break our all time receptions numbers this year in only 10-11 games. Hopefully anyway.

TrapGame
09-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Someone may break our all time receptions numbers this year in only 10-11 games. Hopefully anyway.

You think KJ might break some passing records in 10 games?

BrunswickDawg
09-22-2020, 09:56 AM
Here is the interesting X factor if you will on all of our receivers. They may have caught more balls in the past 6 weeks than they did in 12 weeks last year. They will get targeted consistently throughout a game due to how much emphasis Leach puts on distributing the ball and all WRs being active during the game. Unlike is slomo's offense, every single WR is looking to get the ball on every single snap. The QB is not going to run for much. The RB isn't going to get their yards running the ball. Those 66% of plays will now be pretty much open for receivers and backs out of the backfield. They know they are going to get the ball and get it quick. A lot easier for WRs to get into the zone, when they constantly do not have to think the QB is going to run constantly.

That's an interesting thought - I wonder how much an impact continually going thru the motions, play after play, knowing a pass play is unlikely (let alone actually being targeted) has on a WR's concentration. Kids today have grown up in the 7 on 7 world that is ALL passing. From a WR's perspective, we might as well have been running the Wing-T the past few years because we were all about RTDB. I'm not saying that that decision was wrong based on the personnel we had - but our offenses were not built to sharpen the skills of WR's. Now that everything is about WR's and the passing game, hopefully those guys are getting the coaching and skill growth that has been lacking.