PDA

View Full Version : 9/19 scrimmage

William Tecumsah Sherman
09-19-2020, 06:26 PM
Did the dawgs scrimmage today? If so, let?s hear about it insiders.

Dawgology
09-19-2020, 07:48 PM
Costello threw for 500 yards, Kylin ran for 300 yards, and our CB’s had 17 interceptions. **

Dawgfan77
09-19-2020, 07:54 PM
I'll get roasted for this but just stating what I'm told

Offense is going to be good VERY good. We have weapons.
DL is progressing. The players loved the scheme and are adjusting. We have some DL who have potential but are... to nice. We have players but are thin. DBs are better than advertised but lack depth. Need LBs and CBS to stay healthy.
OL is best we had since 14. Need a few more guys light to come on.
WR once again. Impressive!!! K Hill is loving offense.
We are better than last year but lack some depth in places but we feel good about 22

William Tecumsah Sherman
09-19-2020, 07:57 PM
Thanks 77. Good the hear. Depth will hurt having to play 10 SEC games. But that will be a problem for a lot of other teams too.

Todd4State
09-19-2020, 08:01 PM
Defense will look like they have never seen a football before.**

Cowbell
09-19-2020, 08:14 PM
I'll get roasted for this but just stating what I'm told

Offense is going to be good VERY good. We have weapons.
DL is progressing. The players loved the scheme and are adjusting. We have some DL who have potential but are... to nice. We have players but are thin. DBs are better than advertised but lack depth. Need LBs and CBS to stay healthy.
OL is best we had since 14. Need a few more guys light to come on.
WR once again. Impressive!!! K Hill is loving offense.
We are better than last year but lack some depth in places but we feel good about 22

Anything on Shraders progression? Thanks for the update!

Coach34
09-19-2020, 08:23 PM
2 back sets- Leach is adjusting to SEC defenses

TrapGame
09-19-2020, 08:35 PM

He's no dummy. He's not as stubborn as Moorhead.

Didn't Urban and Dan start using an extra TE when they came into the SEC? Gotta learn and adapt.

Captain Falcon
09-19-2020, 08:53 PM

To clarify, this is not a totally new concept for Leach. He did use two back sets on occasion at WSU and TT. But I do love a good two back set and wish both Moorhead and Mullen had utilized them more, especially considering the RB talent we typically have.

msu15
09-19-2020, 08:53 PM

Didn't Urban and Dan start using an extra TE when they came into the SEC? Gotta learn and adapt.

Hell we used fullbacks our first 4 years under Mullen. Patrick Hanrahan created massive holes for Anthony Dixon in 2009 and Vic Ballard in 2010.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2020, 08:57 PM

Can you expound on this?

What does this mean & why do you do it?

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2020, 08:57 PM

Correct. Urban's offense didn't have a TE till he got to Florida.

TrapGame
09-19-2020, 09:01 PM
Hell we used fullbacks our first 4 years under Mullen. Patrick Hanrahan created massive holes for Anthony Dixon in 2009 and Vic Ballard in 2010.

Hanrahan was freaking BEAST!

Captain Falcon
09-19-2020, 09:03 PM

Man I haven't seen the name Patrick Hanrahan in a long time. Our power running game was a lot of fun to watch Mullen's first couple of years.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2020, 09:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeWjf40Pk2Y

Cowbell
09-19-2020, 09:23 PM
As most of us knew he would

KOdawg1
09-19-2020, 10:35 PM
Can you expound on this?

What does this mean & why do you do it?

Simply put, it gives you plenty of options and makes the defense think. And thinking is what causes mismatches/mistakes

Bothrops
09-19-2020, 10:39 PM
Will LSU score 45 or 38?

Todd4State
09-19-2020, 11:01 PM
To clarify, this is not a totally new concept for Leach. He did use two back sets on occasion at WSU and TT. But I do love a good two back set and wish both Moorhead and Mullen had utilized them more, especially considering the RB talent we typically have.

I was about to say the same thing. Two back sets are pretty much a staple formation in Leach's offense. I would have been more surprised if we didn't see them.

I never understood why we went away from that. You would think we could pretty much always find some legacy walk-on that could fill that role and be good at it. Sylvester Hemphill was pretty good after Hanrahan graduated too. Nick Griffin kind of filled it for a little while. But only sort of.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-19-2020, 11:56 PM

A bad-ass fullback is heck of a weapon. Using the fullback and TE is great for the purest fan.

msu15
09-19-2020, 11:56 PM
I was about to say the same thing. Two back sets are pretty much a staple formation in Leach's offense. I would have been more surprised if we didn't see them.

I never understood why we went away from that. You would think we could pretty much always find some legacy walk-on that could fill that role and be good at it. Sylvester Hemphill was pretty good after Hanrahan graduated too. Nick Griffin kind of filled it for a little while. But only sort of.
Yep. I think we're 13-0 going into the playoff if we would've kept that playbook.

Dawgfan77
09-20-2020, 07:04 AM
Anything on Shraders progression? Thanks for the update!
Nothing to speak of. I wouldn't put much weight into his development as a WR.

Turfdawg67
09-20-2020, 07:44 AM
Correct. Urban's offense didn't have a TE till he got to Florida.

And what a killer of a TE he got.

Cowbell
09-20-2020, 09:12 AM
Nothing to speak of. I wouldn't put much weight into his development as a WR.

Thanks. This means we have better options thankfully

Lord McBuckethead
09-20-2020, 09:37 AM

Don't be suprised when he doesn't change his offense to the league too. Leach is a guy who absolutely knows his system and has a very proven track record to teach that information to his players.

Just don't be suprised when we throw the ball on 75% of theboffebsive snaps.

BeastMan
09-20-2020, 10:20 AM
Don't be suprised when he doesn't change his offense to the league too. Leach is a guy who absolutely knows his system and has a very proven track record to teach that information to his players.

He invented the Air Raid. That’s his philosophy. You don’t hire mike leach and expect him to run more. That said, you’ll see numerous adjustments within the air raid to suit the SEC. That’s a good thing

Tbonewannabe
09-20-2020, 11:14 AM

His system is also heavily used by the Saints and Patriots so it can transition to faster defensive players. JoeMo never had proof that his offense would work against real defensive speed. That is a big difference between JoeMo and Leach. Leach also has already had success at UK as an offensive coordinator so he knows what SEC defenses look like on the field not just on a white board.

hp22
09-20-2020, 11:30 AM
If I was a high level multi skilled running back recruit, I'd want to play for Leach. The NFL game has changed and backs are now utilized as athletes from the backfield. Leach will give Kylin Hill the opportunity to show he can be effective on multiple levels of the offense. People already know he can line up in the backfield and get north/south.

TrapGame
09-20-2020, 12:06 PM
He invented the Air Raid. That’s his philosophy. You don’t hire mike leach and expect him to run more. That said, you’ll see numerous adjustments within the air raid to suit the SEC. That’s a good thing

Exactly.

RiverCityDawg
09-20-2020, 12:58 PM

Leach has been using 2 back sets as a core part of the offense for years and years, so it has nothing to do with adjusting to SEC defenses. They like Marks and want to get him and Hill on the field at the same time.

Bothrops
09-20-2020, 03:15 PM
If I was a high level multi skilled running back recruit, I'd want to play for Leach. The NFL game has changed and backs are now utilized as athletes from the backfield. Leach will give Kylin Hill the opportunity to show he can be effective on multiple levels of the offense. People already know he can line up in the backfield and get north/south.

This is a very good point.

Todd4State
09-20-2020, 04:16 PM

Excellent point.

I think Leach is about to be in his prime as a coach. And he has more resources than ever. Plus as you said the Air Raid or strains of it is all over the NFL.

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2020, 07:33 PM
Excellent point.

I think Leach is about to be in his prime as a coach. And he has more resources than ever. Plus as you said the Air Raid or strains of it is all over the NFL.

He's got something to prove as well plus he needs to fund this Texas Tech lawsuit.

I'm with you. Due to circumstances, I believe his prime as a coach is coming later in his career than most.

Saban will turn 69 in a few weeks & just turned 59 in March. That means that Saban was only 3 years younger than Leach when he got Bama

Leroy Jenkins
09-20-2020, 07:47 PM

Excited to see what Kylin does because, objectively, Borghi's highlights from last year are better than Hill's. And it's not really close. See for yourself.

Jarius
09-20-2020, 07:50 PM
Excited to see what Kylin does because, objectively, Borghi's highlights from last year are better than Hill's. And it's not really close. See for yourself.

They wouldn?t be if Kylin got to play for a competent coach and in the pac 12, but you are correct.

Leroy Jenkins
09-20-2020, 08:04 PM
They wouldn?t be if Kylin got to play for a competent coach and in the pac 12, but you are correct.

That's what I was inferring.

SheltonChoked
09-21-2020, 09:38 AM

Yeah, because he never coached against and good SEC Defense before*** And if he had he never used 2 back sets*****

https://youtu.be/I0dxwNV96Uk?t=18

TNDawg35
09-21-2020, 12:22 PM
Yeah, because he never coached against and good SEC Defense before*** And if he had he never used 2 back sets*****

https://youtu.be/I0dxwNV96Uk?t=18

Damn that was hard to watch. That QB was horrible. There were SEVERAL times if Schrader were the QB, he would still be running.

SheltonChoked
09-21-2020, 12:44 PM
Damn that was hard to watch. That QB was horrible. There were SEVERAL times if Schrader were the QB, he would still be running.

And how many of those RB plays would a back like Hill scored? And this was a bad WSU team playing an SEC that played for the National Championship

TrapGame
09-21-2020, 12:55 PM

KJ is a lot better than that QB too.

And how many of those RB plays would a back like Hill scored? And this was a bad WSU team playing an SEC that played for the National Championship

Kylin Hill is going to be a dangerous weapon in this offense. That was an average RB going up the gut on a good AU defense.

StarkVegasSteve
09-21-2020, 01:15 PM

Look no further than the Ravens and the Chiefs. Mark Ingram had a great year last year and now JK Dobbins has come in and already taken some of his snaps away and Helaire has stepped right in to the Chiefs offense as the starter. This was due to their abilities to catch the ball out of the backfield and be able to play in the spread system.

SheltonChoked
09-21-2020, 03:45 PM
KJ is a lot better than that QB too.

Kylin Hill is going to be a dangerous weapon in this offense. That was an average RB going up the gut on a good AU defense For 8 yards a carry.

Based on the depth chart, I'm more woolly about the offense, but concerned about our defense.