PDA

View Full Version : Who would you consider our best two deep threats at WR?

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I went back and watched some of the UK and SC games to see what adjustments teams made coming out of the locker room to slow us down in the second half. One thing I noticed is that both teams brought their defense closer to the line of scrimmage and played to stop the short routes and east/west run game with Lewis and Dak.

I have been saying for a while, that even if we are just overthrowing someone deep every couple of series, it would be good to make the defense respect the deep ball. We didn't do that in either of the last two games. Almost zero passes beyond 10-15 yards.

In my opinion we have got to start stretching the defense especially in the second half to keep them from bringing everyone in and taking away our short passing game (extended running game).

So that being said...A) Do you agree/disagree? B) Who would you consider our top two deep threats?

I would say DeRunnya and Robert Johnson would be my most likely candidates at sending on a few fly patterns every game.

codeDawg
11-06-2013, 12:18 PM
TR is a threat to get sacked deep in our own territory...

Goat Holder
11-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Tubby Lewis but Prescott apparently cannot see him running wide ass open. Dak does some things well but damn he can't seem to find that post route.

tcdog70
11-06-2013, 12:26 PM
#6 running down the crease

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Tubby Lewis but Prescott apparently cannot see him running wide ass open. Dak does some things well but damn he can't seem to find that post route.

I don't think we should be sending Tubby deep much. He is too short. One advantage of throwing the deep ball is to have your tallest WR's out there so they can out jump the shorter DB's in one on one coverage. Tubby can get separation, but he isn't very tall. I like him on the short stuff over the middle where he can make guys miss. I think he has some big plays in the passing game this year for TD's if some of our younger WR's were good down field blockers. That is one area that we miss guys like Chris Smith and Arceto. De'Runnya seems to be a pretty good blocker, and when Joe morrow can get away with a hold he's pretty good out there too.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 12:30 PM
#6 running down the crease

Yea that's a good one. Get him matched up with a LB and throw it deep.

Dawg61
11-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Line up Bear Wilson and Brandon Holloway on the same side and run 20 different deep routes with those two. There's no way you can't find holes with Wilson's size and Holloway's speed. Mix in Lewis running slants or crossing patterns.

Barking 13
11-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I think from what I've seen is we should use the play everybody seems to nail us with. Roll Dak out and throw to Bear, Rojo, or Mojo deep. The reason I say roll out, is because it seems if he's in the pocket, there's a 60% chance he's going to run it. If he rolls out, that might look like a run to freeze the secondary and allow one of our guys to break open.

Percho
11-06-2013, 12:48 PM
I went back and watched some of the UK and SC games to see what adjustments teams made coming out of the locker room to slow us down in the second half. One thing I noticed is that both teams brought their defense closer to the line of scrimmage and played to stop the short routes and east/west run game with Lewis and Dak.

I have been saying for a while, that even if we are just overthrowing someone deep every couple of series, it would be good to make the defense respect the deep ball. We didn't do that in either of the last two games. Almost zero passes beyond 10-15 yards.

In my opinion we have got to start stretching the defense especially in the second half to keep them from bringing everyone in and taking away our short passing game (extended running game).

So that being said...A) Do you agree/disagree? B) Who would you consider our top two deep threats?

I would say DeRunnya and Robert Johnson would be my most likely candidates at sending on a few fly patterns every game.

I is hard to tell because we do not run deep patterns. I would like to see at least one and some time two go deep every five, first and second downs.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 12:52 PM
I is hard to tell because we do not run deep patterns. I would like to see at least one and some time two go deep every five, first and second downs.

Yea. Back in the Sherrill days when we were run up the middle 3 times then punt...every 3 or 4 series, he would call a play action fly pattern where our QB would just let one go deep down the sidelines. Occasionally it was caught, but many times it was simply a deep ball to keep the safeties honest. We need to be doing that for the same reasons. Even if you throw it 15 yards over the receiver's head, just the threat of the deep ball accomplishes what you need it to.

Dawg61
11-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Wayne Madkin ALWAYS overthrew this exact pass by 15 yards during the first half. I used to cuss this about Madkin every game. Don't run the play if you have zero intentions of completing it. Try to complete the pass. I'm still waiting on Bear Wilson bombs after he got one vs LSU.

BeastMan
11-06-2013, 01:09 PM
1) DeRunnya Wilson
2) Robert Johnson

I have no idea why we don't have a play action where we just chunk it to one of them. They are both fast and big/physical. We should do it once a game if only for the threat of it.

hailmari
11-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Line up Bear Wilson and Brandon Holloway on the same side and run 20 different deep routes with those two. There's no way you can't find holes with Wilson's size and Holloway's speed. Mix in Lewis running slants or crossing patterns.

I like this. Tell Bear, "I'm about to put the ball in the air, you go get it!"

War Machine Dawg
11-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Tubby & Bear. Tubby has elite speed and is good at getting open. Plus he and Dak seem to have that special connection some QBs & WRs have. Bear has solid speed and crazy size. He just needs to learn to be more physical going for the ball. He could be every bit as good as the big FSU WRs that Winston loves to throw it up for.

RoJo is more of a possession WR. But that's not a knock, because that's an important role in our offense. He's physical, runs good routes, and gets himself open. Plus he may be the best WR on the team other than Tubby in terms of RAC yards.

msstate7
11-06-2013, 02:02 PM

First TD against Kentucky was a long pass to Malcolm Johnson

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 03:00 PM
First TD against Kentucky was a long pass to Malcolm Johnson

Come on, mane....you know that was a busted play. I'm talking about plays that are designed to be deep passes

engie
11-06-2013, 03:07 PM
I think De'Runnya is our only legit deep threat at this point. Hopeful Christy or Hammond develop into that in the future...

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2013, 03:12 PM
I think De'Runnya is our only legit deep threat at this point. Hopeful Christy or Hammond develop into that in the future...

My concern is that if a freshman WR can't break into this lineup - that they really aren't that good.

Mullen has proven that he is willing to burn redshirts this season. If they can't get on the field over the Wr's in front of them, its safe to say that they aren't playmakers, which is disappointing because I thought Christy was a playmaker.

msstate7
11-06-2013, 03:14 PM
My concern is that if a freshman WR can't break into this lineup - that they really aren't that good.

Mullen has proven that he is willing to burn redshirts this season. If they can't get on the field over the Wr's in front of them, its safe to say that they aren't playmakers, which is disappointing because I thought Christy was a playmaker.

Think christy is/was hurt

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Since when have we put the best players at each position on the field? Typically I would agree with you, but after season after season of seeing the better player at a certain position sitting on the bench, I don't read too much into it anymore.

Dawg61
11-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I think we all can agree that Mullen is neglecting this threat from his offense making his offense very predictable.

HoopsDawg
11-06-2013, 03:37 PM
I think we all can agree that Mullen is neglecting this threat from his offense making his offense very predictable.

We don't have a deep threat. Wilson is the closest we've got due to his size, but he doesn't have game-breaking speed like Moncrief/Treadwell, Landry/Beckham, Coates, Byrd, Cooper, Evans, etc.

I would also like to see Ross targeted much more than he has been.

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Since when have we put the best players at each position on the field? Typically I would agree with you, but after season after season of seeing the better player at a certain position sitting on the bench, I don't read too much into it anymore.

Im still pro Mullen (We win 6 games), but there is some things that I think he does great, and other things he doesn't.

The Perk/Robinson debate this year isn't so clear for me anymore - Robinson is averaging 4.7, Perk is averaging 4.8.

The Quay Evans love has reached a silly level for me. I've watched Quay when in the game, and he simply doesn't do much. If there is a game that he has dominated, tell me which one, I have them all recorded (thanks DirectTV).

Bothrops
11-06-2013, 03:49 PM
It's too early to tell what De'Runnya's potential is, but none of our receivers, outside of Lewis are utilized enough. Lewis has enough speed to break open down field, but the ball has to be right on the money. Our scheme does not employ a deep passing game, so our coaches do not focus on stretching the field. As long as this is the case we will never see our wide receivers reach their potential. I want a coach that runs that style of offense; I think it's our best chance to hang with the elite teams in games.

AROB44
11-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Can somebody please tell me why we signed Chappelle? I thought being a JC player that he would step right in. What's the story on him?

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 03:57 PM
It's too early to tell what De'Runnya's potential is, but none of our receivers, outside of Lewis are utilized enough. Lewis has enough speed to break open down field, but the ball has to be right on the money. Our scheme does not employ a deep passing game, so our coaches do not focus on stretching the field. As long as this is the case we will never see our wide receivers reach their potential. I want a coach that runs that style of offense; I think it's our best chance to hang with the elite teams in games.

I am really hoping that Jamoral Graham and Aeris Williams make it to campus. I feel like those two guys could provide major problems for defenses. Jamoral seems to be a legit deep threat with size and speed, and Aeris seems like that RB with breakaway speed we've been waiting for. It seems we typically either have one or the other, but never both. Those two guys could be the best skilled guys on offense that we have had as a combo in years,if ever IMO.

Bothrops
11-06-2013, 04:20 PM
I am really hoping that Jamoral Graham and Aeris Williams make it to campus. I feel like those two guys could provide major problems for defenses. Jamoral seems to be a legit deep threat with size and speed, and Aeris seems like that RB with breakaway speed we've been waiting for. It seems we typically either have one or the other, but never both. Those two guys could be the best skilled guys on offense that we have had as a combo in years,if ever IMO.

Me too, we really need these guys to hang on with us!

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Jamoral Graham is at best 5'9". He is a hell of a player, but size? No.

What I am wondering about is why the F*ck are we not all over the Gennesy kid? He visits A&M, bears, and Ohio State, and we don't get a courtesy visit? We feel that good about Damien Robinson stepping in for Siddoway next year?

CadaverDawg
11-06-2013, 04:26 PM

What I am wondering about is why the F*ck are we not all over the Gennesy kid? He visits A&M, bears, and Ohio State, and we don't get a courtesy visit? We feel that good about Damien Robinson stepping in for Siddoway next year?

Well shit, I actually thought I read where Graham was 6'1? My bad. Still has great speed, you're right.

As for Gennessy...thank Hevesy for that. Gennessy supposedly doesn't like him, or so I've heard.

HoopsDawg
11-06-2013, 04:36 PM

we could have signed Genessey out of high school, but mis-evaluated him. Now he's not interested.

engie
11-06-2013, 04:39 PM
we could have signed Genessey out of high school, but mis-evaluated him. Now he's not interested.

Apparently one else was interested out of highschool either, so we weren't the only ones that missed on that.

He hates Hevesy...

engie
11-06-2013, 04:40 PM
We feel that good about Damien Robinson stepping in for Siddoway next year?

I see Justin Senior or one of the other 2 JUCOs next year. No chance that Robinson is heir apparent at this point.

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2013, 04:42 PM
I see Justin Senior or one of the other 2 JUCOs next year. No chance that Robinson is heir apparent at this point.

Im worried about the JUCO guy being the replacement - I don't see us fighting anyone off for him.

Coach34
11-06-2013, 05:53 PM

It's more about them not knowing what to do

HoopsDawg
11-06-2013, 06:15 PM
That's never stopped us before.

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2013, 06:43 PM
It's more about them not knowing what to do

That is the most optimistic view we can take.

9 times out of 10, talent will get on the field. Ross and Wilson seem ok, but we need a playmaker at WR.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Well shit, I actually thought I read where Graham was 6'1? My bad. Still has great speed, you're right.

You don't have to be tall to be a deep threat. Desean Jackson is one of the best deep threats in the NFL and is very small. It's just a balance between your speed and size.

If Graham is a legit 4.4 guy, then he can be a deep threat. If he is a legit 4.5, then he can't be. Whereas Wilson can be a 4.6 and be a deep threat.

To be honest, I'm not sure why Holloway can't be a deep threat. If he is a 4.3 guy, then it seems to me it would be tough to over throw him.

Dawgowar
11-06-2013, 07:02 PM
I'll take McDole and Moulds, Danny Knight in the slot and have a 50-50 chance of finally seeing an MSU game with multiple WR threats. Lacking that, I am convinced Mississippi State is a black hole for the passing game.

Yep, that is it, a big spinning black hole of hold your breath its third and long. On that fact I am unrepentantly negative until proven wrong. Bellard, Felker, JWS, Croom - we can't throw. Tyler did a bit with Marler I guess.

Ugh, just go to the damn veer lol.

Schultzy
11-06-2013, 07:21 PM
We don't have a deep threat. Wilson is the closest we've got due to his size, but he doesn't have game-breaking speed like Moncrief/Treadwell, Landry/Beckham, Coates, Byrd, Cooper, Evans, etc.

I would also like to see Ross targeted much more than he has been.

We can throw deep to lots of guys on our roster at least twice a game, especially as much as we throw short. It's a myth that you have to run a 4.3 or be 6'3" to be effective going deep.
You may not can dial it up anytime you want but you can sure as he'll get behind the defense once or twice a game with decent speed only.

HoopsDawg
11-06-2013, 07:22 PM
LOL, not in the SEC.

Schultzy
11-06-2013, 07:44 PM
LOL, not in the SEC.

Except against LSU this year. Or against UGA with Arceto. One tall with decent speed and one small with good speed, not great.
Fact is, we haven't chosen to go deep enough, I see blown coverages in every SEC game I watch.

Coach34
11-06-2013, 08:51 PM
State is a black hole for the passing game. Mississippi HS WR's are usually awful.

We have had what- 3 WR's drafted in the last 30-35 years?