PDA

View Full Version : Prime Time to JSU?

William Tecumsah Sherman
09-17-2020, 02:55 PM
Twitter smoke that Deion Sanders will be JSU HC. I had heard that he was in Madison with a realtor when his team played MRA a few weeks back.

ZedFedder
09-17-2020, 03:31 PM
That’s wild. I personally do not think he will do well, but it certainly is a splash.

SteelCurtain74
09-17-2020, 03:47 PM
Local Jackson media seem to be reporting it's a done deal.

https://www.facebook.com/28558155508/posts/10157586291975509/

SheltonChoked
09-17-2020, 03:53 PM
Twitter smoke that Deion Sanders will be JSU HC. I had heard that he was in Madison with a realtor when his team played MRA a few weeks back.

He seems to be busy working at Barstool as well

https://www.barstoolsports.com/bio/63580/deion-sanders

I'm sure the sports media company he's employed by would break the story.

And the NCAA might frown on a coach working for a sports gaming company.

William Tecumsah Sherman
09-17-2020, 04:01 PM
Deal is on hold per Twitter due to Deion having Under Armour as a sponsor and JSU has Nike

Todd4State
09-17-2020, 04:39 PM
Deal is on hold per Twitter due to Deion having Under Armour as a sponsor and JSU has Nike

Wonder if JSU will sell off their helmet logos to make this work.

Really could be a blessing in disguise if it falls through for JSU. I have a feeling that Deion probably won't work out there if he gets hired.

bulldawg28
09-18-2020, 08:57 AM
Deion would be a great hire there. The community support and transfers flocking there would be big for them.

StarkVegasSteve
09-18-2020, 09:06 AM
Deion would be a great hire there. The community support and transfers flocking there would be big for them.

This would be a fiasco of an on field hire. His only coaching experience is an OC at a private high school in TX. He'd have to pay his own money to get any quality assistants and I highly doubt any transfers want to come play in a crap stadium in the middle of downtown Jackson.....saying all that, I can't wait for this!

viverlibre
09-18-2020, 09:10 AM
He'd take a huge pay cut, but i'm sure he has enough money that he's not worried about it.

If coaching doesn't work it, he'd probably be even more valuable as a "personality" afterwards.

Martianlander
09-18-2020, 09:33 AM
Maybe he has a reality show lined up. "The Coach"

bulldawg28
09-18-2020, 10:35 AM
This would be a fiasco of an on field hire. His only coaching experience is an OC at a private high school in TX. He'd have to pay his own money to get any quality assistants and I highly doubt any transfers want to come play in a crap stadium in the middle of downtown Jackson.....saying all that, I can't wait for this!

Deion has more NFL connections than most SEC coaches. Players would love him and want that opportunity.

StarkVegasSteve
09-18-2020, 11:12 AM
Deion has more NFL connections than most SEC coaches. Players would love him and want that opportunity.

I'm sure he does have plenty of NFL connections. But all the NFL connections in the world aren't going to magically make you a better coach or magically make a team playing in the SWAC more attractive than a P5 or even a G5. No doubt his players will love him, but if I'm a guy getting recruited by JSU and Memphis then I'm going to Memphis 100 times out of 100. Now, this will hurt Southern and if I'm Southern I may be calling up his agent to make an offer. Because if it's between those two programs then Deion's personality will win out, at least at first.

shoeless joe
09-18-2020, 04:03 PM
Has Stephen A commented on this yet...

ScottH
09-18-2020, 04:50 PM
I can't think of anything that could go wrong with this hire***

Todd4State
09-18-2020, 05:56 PM

I'm interested to see what happens. And interested to see who is on his staff.

FISHDAWG
09-21-2020, 01:38 PM

This outta be interesting - JUST CALL ME COACH PRIME !!
https://twitter.com/i/status/1308066410258747392

https://twitter.com/DeionSanders/status/1308066410258747392

Getcha_a_Burner
09-21-2020, 02:38 PM
Prime to JSU should have TSUN extremely worried. Easiest recruiting pitch ever. Do young, socially conscious black athletes want to play for a school with an actual Confederate monument on campus, or do they want to play for an upstart HBCU program coached by a guy with a couple of rings and a gold jacket? I suspect a Prime-led JSU will have a comparable trajectory to the Hardaway-led Memphis basketball team. Outstanding splash hire at the right moment in history.

StarkVegasSteve
09-21-2020, 02:55 PM
Prime to JSU should have TSUN extremely worried. Easiest recruiting pitch ever. Do young, socially conscious black athletes want to play for a school with an actual Confederate monument on campus, or do they want to play for an upstart HBCU program coached by a guy with a couple of rings and a gold jacket? I suspect a Prime-led JSU will have a comparable trajectory to the Hardaway-led Memphis basketball team. Outstanding splash hire at the right moment in history.

Or do they want to play at a P5 where they play against the best on national TV every week or go play against Valley in front of a couple of thousand. I doubt he's going to pull anyone with a commitable P5 offer. Southern is the only FBS team in the State that is going to be worried about this.

StateDawg44
09-21-2020, 03:06 PM

You are giving way to much credit to having a couple of rings and a gold jacket. Especially using the hypothetical pitch you chose.

It's still JSU vs. playing in the SEC. It's not even a question of what the overwhelming majority of athletes would choose here.

Rings and gold jackets as his pitch will likely do just as much to MSU as it would to OM. Any coach would use the monument BS. Nothing has changed. If a kid wants to go to OM, I doubt a statue is going to be the primary reason they don't.

Getcha_a_Burner
09-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Or do they want to play at a P5 where they play against the best on national TV every week or go play against Valley in front of a couple of thousand. I doubt he's going to pull anyone with a commitable P5 offer. Southern is the only FBS team in the State that is going to be worried about this.

This undoubtedly the biggest obstacle he'll face on the recruiting trail. It will take a special type of leader to go to JSU and lay the groundwork. But I also think that the fields are ripe for harvest for an HBCU to land some big time, P5-level talent (see, e.g., Makur Maker (https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/07/03/top-basketball-recruit-commits-to-howard-university-to-make-the-hbcu-movement-real/#665477722765)). Prime could be the guy to do it.

Commercecomet24
09-21-2020, 03:12 PM
The facilities are not good at JSU, the stadium is not good, no tv to speak of, no crowds, not much in the way of alumni support($dollars), and the list goes on and on. It's gonna take more than Primes flash to draw any big name talents. I like Deion, his show on the NFL network on Sunday nights after all the games was more fun than watching the actual games and I'm gonna miss that, but he's got his work cut out for him at JSU. It'll probably be entertaining though, like Casey Stengel with the '62 Mets for anyone who remembers that.

Getcha_a_Burner
09-21-2020, 03:14 PM
You are giving way to much credit to having a couple of rings and a gold jacket. Especially using the hypothetical pitch you chose.

It's still JSU vs. playing in the SEC. It's not even a question of what the overwhelming majority of athletes would choose here.

Rings and gold jackets as his pitch will likely do just as much to MSU as it would to OM. Any coach would use the monument BS. Nothing has changed. If a kid wants to go to OM, I doubt a statue is going to be the primary reason they don't.

For sure. And any reasonable coach should hold the Confederate monument against UM. My point is not to say that playing for JSU is suddenly more glamorous than playing in the SEC. I'm simply saying that UM with its well-documented history is particularly vulnerable to the type of pitch that Deion and JSU should, can, and will make on the recruiting trail.

bulldawg28
09-21-2020, 03:20 PM
For sure. And any reasonable coach should hold the Confederate monument against UM. My point is not to say that JSU is suddenly more glamorous than playing the SEC. I'm simply saying that UM with its well-documented history is particularly vulnerable to the type of pitch that Deion and JSU should, can, and will make on the recruiting trail.

Deion is about to hit the transfer portal and change the game at Jackson state.

KOdawg1
09-21-2020, 03:25 PM

This is where he'll make his bread and butter

StarkVegasSteve
09-21-2020, 03:28 PM

Y'all do realize that Jackson State isn't D1, doesn't play for a championship other than the SWAC, and is located in DOWNTOWN JACKSON?!?!? We openly talk about how bad Jackson is and yet we think there's going to be highly talented players that would rather go play there than go play in Starkville, Oxford, Fayetteville, Memphis, etc.?? JSU got some buzz with this hire but that's all it is. He's never recruited before and somehow he's magically going to be this AMAZING closer. It's just not going to happen.

FISHDAWG
09-21-2020, 03:32 PM
Y'all do realize that Jackson State isn't D1, doesn't play for a championship other than the SWAC, and is located in DOWNTOWN JACKSON?!?!? We openly talk about how bad Jackson is and yet we think there's going to be highly talented players that would rather go play there than go play in Starkville, Oxford, Fayetteville, Memphis, etc.?? JSU got some buzz with this hire but that's all it is. He's never recruited before and somehow he's magically going to be this AMAZING closer. It's just not going to happen.

totally agree ... but when you're JSU this can't hurt (I don't think so anyway) ..... I'm curious if todays younger HS athletes hold the same recognition as we older guys do for Prime Time ?

StarkVegasSteve
09-21-2020, 03:58 PM
totally agree ... but when you're JSU this can't hurt (I don't think so anyway) ..... I'm curious if todays younger HS athletes hold the same recognition as we older guys do for Prime Time ?

Oh I agree. It can't hurt. And I think the younger guys know who he is primarily because of all the stuff he's on and that he's a former player. I don't know if they know just exactly how good he was. Although it's Prime. I'm sure the first week will all be about watching his highlights.

CadaverDawg
09-21-2020, 04:33 PM

https://i2.wp.com/media.giphy.com/media/l3E6uhDAN3W7vylji/giphy.gif?w=735&ssl=1

Getcha_a_Burner
09-21-2020, 04:43 PM
https://i2.wp.com/media.giphy.com/media/l3E6uhDAN3W7vylji/giphy.gif?w=735&ssl=1

Solid analysis. A really insightful take!

Todd4State
09-21-2020, 06:42 PM
He better make some good connections at the Mississippi JUCOs because his best path to success is getting the best of the rest we don't want.

StateDawg44
09-21-2020, 08:26 PM
For sure. And any reasonable coach should hold the Confederate monument against UM. My point is not to say that playing for JSU is suddenly more glamorous than playing in the SEC. I'm simply saying that UM with its well-documented history is particularly vulnerable to the type of pitch that Deion and JSU should, can, and will make on the recruiting trail.

Eh, I just don't buy it.

There is nothing new that Deion can bring to the table that separates him from any other previous coach at JSU when it comes to trying to use something like that against OM. Deion isn't going to all of a sudden shine some spotlight on anything and open any eyes. It's not like they just erected a new one or anything.

But whatever, I really don't care about JSU or Prime or the SWAC. Along with nearly every other college football fan out there.