PDA

View Full Version : D1 Baseball: 2021 Schedule Options and Survey of Coaches

AusTexDawg
09-17-2020, 11:28 AM
Some general info from recent D1 Baseball articles that might be of interest. Nothing earth-shattering, but it’s sports content

ACC and SEC, unsurprisingly, would both prefer a normal, 56-game season. The ACC is also considering 13 conference weekends with 1 non-conference weekend that could be an SEC-ACC challenge. The SEC is “open to playing 13 weeks of conference play with four-game weekends”

Survey w responses from 2/3 of D1 coaches:

46% overall support new baseball model w later start & July CWS
45% of SEC oppose new baseball model
18% of SEC support new baseball model
35% overall support moving start and CWS later for 2021
70% overall oppose splitting D1 into 2 subdivisions
70% of SEC support splitting D1 into 2 divisions

Links to articles are https://d1baseball.com/columns/survey-says-coaches-weigh-in-on-hot-button-issues/ and https://d1baseball.com/columns/coaches-already-preparing-for-various-2021-scheduling-models/, behind paywall.

AlSwearengen
09-17-2020, 03:34 PM
Just start a month later and play a regular schedule. Maybe they could shorten it just a little if they are worried about going too far into the summer.

AusTexDawg
09-17-2020, 03:57 PM
Just start a month later and play a regular schedule. Maybe they could shorten it just a little if they are worried about going too far into the summer.

I hope they do something like that. As loaded as teams will be with the expanded rosters, a possible 52-game SEC schedule would be brutal.

Todd4State
09-17-2020, 04:45 PM
I'd like to see a 60 game regular season and end the season on July 4th. I'd like to see a SEC schedule where you play 10 weekends and then three two game midweek conference games against the rest of the Cross divisional teams that aren't playing on the weekends.

Offshore Dawg
09-18-2020, 05:42 PM
People in hell want ice water

The Federalist Engineer
09-19-2020, 08:15 PM
If the PAC and others get difficult. How about 13 x 4 = 52 as the regular season.

Play every SEC school in a 4 game series. Plus 2 four game tournaments in preseason. That?s 60 games.

Since everybody has a huge roster. People have pitching to make this happen. It would produce the most legit SEC champ ever.