PDA

View Full Version : Cord

msstate7
04-17-2013, 08:49 PM
How's his baseball season going? Are our chances of getting him going up or down?

MitchD24
04-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Last I heard he was batting around .225 with 1 HR and has been walked a lot this season.. But teams don't pay attention to your senior season. They mostly pay more attention to the team workouts and how he looks individually. I personally think he's gonna make it to campus though

Todd4State
04-17-2013, 09:19 PM
I'd say that they are about the same. The action is going to happen in June. We'll know a lot more then- and fortunately for all of us not named Scott Boras, the signing deadline is in July- we will definitively know something at that point.

FWIW- I feel good about him coming to play football.

msstate7
04-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I really want this guy. Cord, shump, jones, and Ross could be the pieces to take us to another level. The big time qb is a must though if we wanna take it up a notch though. Please professional sports don't rob us again (bender & Ellis)...

engie
04-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Manatee is 6-15 right now -- and that's after winning 4 of their last 5. I feel better every day that he'll be at MSU in the summer...

ETA just a reminder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mUWelpOmuc

And from this year(just put up on Youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oph9KO-K4B8

msstate7
04-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Manatee is 6-15 right now -- and that's after winning 4 of their last 5. I feel better every day that he'll be at MSU in the summer...

Hopefully losing will sour him on baseball some. Hope our staff is working on him daily

mic
04-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Its all going to depend on what team drafts Cord. He isnt going first round but your bigger market teams can give lower round draft picks close to first round money to sign. Coach and others in the know prob have an idea of what Cord and his family are asking for. So we need a team like the Drays Royals Twins Marlins ect.. to draft him.. Your Yankees Red Sox Angles ect.. may be able to met his demands to sign in the later rounds like the 5th or 6th..

Coach34
04-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Well, I've heard a few things but here is my thinking:

We're talking about someone making a decision on what life path they are going to take. While Cord and family have a number in mind- if they are 50-100K away from that- is that amount of money large enough to make him totally take his life career path into another direction? Cord/family demands 500K- teams final offer is 405K....are they going to turn down 405K and send their son to college? Is Cord going to turn down 405K to go play football- a completely different sport?

This situation is totally different from a kid deciding to go pro or play college baseball. This is a completely different career path. And this is what makes me skeptical he ever plays for us.

CadaverDawg
04-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Damn he's good.

engie
04-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Its all going to depend on what team drafts Cord. He isnt going first round but your bigger market teams can give lower round draft picks close to first round money to sign. Coach and others in the know prob have an idea of what Cord and his family are asking for. So we need a team like the Drays Royals Twins Marlins ect.. to draft him.. Your Yankees Red Sox Angles ect.. may be able to met his demands to sign in the later rounds like the 5th or 6th..

New draft rules heavily penalize teams for paying over slot... Every team gets X amount of money for the first 10 rounds. They go over that money, the penalties are absolutely insane -- and if they overpay beyond the 10th round(100k), that money counts against the first 10 round draft pool. The most you'll ever see a team overpay anymore IMO is the amount the BlueJays went over last year for Alford -- and he'd have turned them down had they not allowed the college football deal.

Coach34
04-17-2013, 10:44 PM
New draft rules heavily penalize teams for paying over slot... Every team gets X amount of money for the first 10 rounds.

True- but to offset that- teams are drafting guys in the 7-10 rounds that they would normally draft in the 25th round. They are offering them peanuts to sign and thats it. If they dont sign? They dont care- they are lower level prospects. They are using the bulk of their money on their top 5 picks

FlabLoser
04-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Damn do you not understand there was a big ****ing explosion in Texas tonight? Almost 100 sent to hospitals. May or may not be related to Boston...or to this week's assault on a circus elephant. Put the pieces together, people. Is Sandburg gonna rock the maroon or not?

engie
04-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Well, I've heard a few things but here is my thinking:

We're talking about someone making a decision on what life path they are going to take. While Cord and family have a number in mind- if they are 50-100K away from that- is that amount of money large enough to make him totally take his life career path into another direction? Cord/family demands 500K- teams final offer is 405K....are they going to turn down 405K and send their son to college? Is Cord going to turn down 405K to go play football- a completely different sport?

This situation is totally different from a kid deciding to go pro or play college baseball. This is a completely different career path. And this is what makes me skeptical he ever plays for us.

Or, they want him to go to college and get that experience -- and it's going to take a million for them to waver on that desire? Just as easy to totally flip the script and look at it that way...

If baseball was his goal in life, why play for a national highschool football juggernaut -- that is an absolutely terrible baseball program? Why not transfer to one of the 5(at least) tremendous baseball schools in the immediately surrounding areas of Bradenton? Point is -- for everything that points toward baseball -- there is something else pointing toward football. Just depends on how you want to look at it...

Coach34
04-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Or, they want him to go to college and get that experience -- and it's going to take a million for them to waver on that desire? Just as easy to totally flip the script and look at it that way...

If baseball was his goal in life, why play for a national highschool football juggernaut -- that is an absolutely terrible baseball program? Why not transfer to one of the 5(at least) tremendous baseball schools in the immediately surrounding areas of Bradenton? Point is -- for everything that points toward baseball -- there is something else pointing toward football. Just depends on how you want to look at it...

I'm not saying you're wrong- thats just something I keep asking myself. I want the guy on campus as much or more than anyone. His footwork is outstanding (baseball players usually have great footwork). He will be a very good player

Pollodawg
04-17-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm with Coach in the belief that it boils down to "what's the magic number?" If the money's there, he's likely gone, and can you blame him? I love State. He would be a beast in Mullen's preferred offense, but in this uncertain age, you don't turn down big money like that in most cases.

engie
04-17-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong- thats just something I keep asking myself. I want the guy on campus as much or more than anyone. His footwork is outstanding (baseball players usually have great footwork). He will be a very good player

I'm with you on what you said btw -- just showing the other side...

From what Cord's dad is actually telling us, there is an excellent chance we're going to have him in the fall if he goes(at worst) beyond the supplemental first round. He has no reason to lead us on at this point...

They are all certainly still telling MLB what they want to hear though -- and they've got every reason to do that...

sandwolf
04-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Damn he's good.

And tailor-made for a Dan Mullen offense.

Todd4State
04-18-2013, 01:00 AM
The draft is different now- it doesn't matter if you are the Yankees or the Marlins. The top slot gets the most money and then it goes down- once you get past the 10th round, it the same for each pick. Each team has an allotted amount which is based off of where you finish- like the Astros have a higher first round pick, and therefore have more money to spend than say the Giants who won the World Series- and it's also based off of how many first round picks you have- the Cardinals have two first round picks, so they get more money to spend.

Now, you CAN still sign overslot, and I could see some rare occasions where that actually might be warranted- like a Bryce Harper or Stephen Strasburg type talent. But more often than not, it's not worth it. At the same time, it's also possible to sign guys less than their slot. And if that happens, a team can have a surplus to spend on players later in the draft. That's what happened with Anthony Alford in fact, and why the Blue Jays took that chance on him. As long as a team doesn't go over their draft cap that they are allotted, they aren't going to be penalized.

Taking everything into account, and the fact that he's not listed as one of MLB.com's top 50 draft prospects- I like our chances.

FlabLoser
04-18-2013, 03:52 AM
Hopefully he gets less than Kirk Presley got.

Todd4State
04-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Hopefully he gets less than Kirk Presley got.

I have no doubt he will. What pissed me off about Kirk was the deadline passed, and MLB extended it just for him even though he had been on campus at MSU.

biscuit
04-18-2013, 08:41 AM
I have no doubt he will. What pissed me off about Kirk was the deadline passed, and MLB extended it just for him even though he had been on campus at MSU.

And Kirk was a BUST..... I absolutly want Cord here, but if he chooses MLB, I really hope he makes it and is successful.

FISHDAWG
04-19-2013, 01:38 PM
but he's not far off ... # 58
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/#list=draft

msstate7
04-19-2013, 01:43 PM
but he's not far off ... # 58
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/#list=draft

If he's that much better than renfroe (#96), we'll be very lucky to get him