PDA

View Full Version : 2nd scrimmage

Heydawg
09-12-2020, 09:19 PM
Anyone got info from our second scrimmage today?

Homedawg
09-12-2020, 09:29 PM
I went. But shotgun would complain if I told you what I saw no matter what so there's that.

ShotgunDawg
09-12-2020, 09:44 PM
I went. But shotgun would complain if I told you what I saw no matter what so there's that.

I promise I won't. Let it fly

Todd4State
09-12-2020, 10:20 PM

So we looked like garbage again?

BeardoMSU
09-12-2020, 10:49 PM

Did it resemble this?**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fc1kAbITRs&ab_channel=willty834

Prediction? Pain.
09-12-2020, 10:55 PM
Here's Leach's take on the scrimmage:

https://youtu.be/eZgUvE0A8kA

Does anyone else crack up at his weekly deadpan plugs for Coke? They get me every time.

ETA: Of yeah, substance. Most notable things to me: (1) Shader's move sounds permanent. And dude apparently looks solid at WR. (2) Osiris Mitchell, despite being the leading returning WR, has work to do. I've heard Leach discuss several other receivers recently in more positive terms than he did Osiris today. (3) Austin Williams, the practice legend, is apparently running with the starters for real.

BeardoMSU
09-12-2020, 11:04 PM

Does anyone else crack up at his weekly deadpan plugs for Coke? They get me every time.

ETA: Of yeah, substance. Most notable things to me: (1) Shader's move sounds permanent. And dude apparently looks solid at WR. (2) Osiris Mitchell, despite being the leading returning WR, has work to do. I've heard Leach discuss several other receivers recently in more positive terms than he did Osiris today. (3) Austin Williams, the practice legend, is apparently running with the starters for real.

I want that hat.

Todd4State
09-13-2020, 01:06 AM

I like the fact that he keeps it real without running down anyone. I also like the fact that he seems to make it a priority to get the best players on the field. I don't feel like Dan or Joe always did that and it hurt us at times and limited our ceiling. Dan treated us like a high school team as far as the depth chart goes where the seniors played over the underclassmen most of the time because they had been here longer. And then Dan's arrogant "Holloway blocks better than Aeris and knows the playbook better" was just outright disrespectful to our fan's intelligence. Joe's "Top five" was possibly even worse. That's a big reason why I don't think we have seen much of what Austin Williams and to more of an extent JaVonta Payton can do. It used to piss me off watching Guidry drop passes and keep being trotted out there while Payton catches everything and hustles 100% all the time at the WR spot. Osirus just sounds like Osirus to me based on what Leach is saying.

I'm guessing we'll see 8-10 receivers a game catching passes and probably 2-3 running backs used consistently. That's a much better way to use our personnel. And I figure in a couple of years we'll see a better rotation of defensive players once we build depth there. And we're going to see basically two offensive lines a game rather than Hevesy pretending he's in the NFL and only wanting to use eight.

chef dixon
09-13-2020, 06:57 AM
I'm guessing Williams is the kind of dude Leach can utilize better than our previous coaches. Osiris always looked limited but he has size and was good for a play or two down the field. Maybe he doesn't flow in the offense as well.

BiscuitEater
09-13-2020, 07:03 AM
For WRs, he values consistency over occasional great. Get open, catch the ball over an occasional fantastic catch along with dropping catchable balls.

schddog72
09-13-2020, 09:03 AM

NEVER forget that Ovirus Mitchell almost single handedly cost us a win of Florida in Slo Joe's first year by dropping an easy touchdown pass. I will never forgive him for that. Yep, for sure, he's got a LOT of work to do.

Captain Falcon
09-13-2020, 09:54 AM
NEVER forget that Ovirus Mitchell almost single handedly cost us a win of Florida in Slo Joe's first year by dropping an easy touchdown pass. I will never forgive him for that. Yep, for sure, he's got a LOT of work to do.

It was a bad drop but we ran a whole lot more plays than that one in that game and looked terrible in almost all of them. Even if he scores that only gives us 13 points for the game and we still might have lost. So like I said, bad moment but Osirus was just a symptom of way bigger problems.

On the flip side, I soured on him last year when we were running the two minute drill against Kansas State late in the ball game and he was walking back to the line of scrimmage and taking his dear sweet time. I guess you can also say that was a symptom of a bigger culture problem, but it still made me mad.

That being said, I feel almost certain that Leach can get more out of Osirus than Dan and Joe ever did. If not then Leach won’t hesitate to put someone else in, plain and simple.

Lord McBuckethead
09-13-2020, 10:58 AM

That was Joe Morrow.

Went back and rewatched it, it was O Mitchel

msu15
09-13-2020, 12:55 PM
That was Joe Morrow.

Went back and rewatched it, it was O Mitchel
Joe Morrow's last season was 2015, how in the hell did you get them confused lol?

yjnkdawg
09-13-2020, 02:58 PM
I want that hat.

I do too. Pretty sure it's an Adidas one, but whether it will be available to the public who knows. Adidas' marketing is really weird. Sometimes it's a limited supply , not all sizes available, etc., and they will issue what and when they want to. It doesn't seem like what would be a good seller at the time, doesn't play any role in what they do.

Todd4State
09-13-2020, 02:59 PM

I mean he was a true freshman and we should have recruited other receivers so that he wouldn't have been in that spot. And Joe should have been able to put up more points at home than that.

Maridian Dawg
09-13-2020, 03:03 PM
I do too. Pretty sure it's an Adidas one, but whether it will be available to the public who knows. Adidas' marketing is really weird. Sometimes it's a limited supply , not all sizes available, etc., and they will issue what and when they want to. It doesn't seem like what would be a good seller at the time, doesn't play any role in what they do.

You can get them at the State golf course. I got mine about 2 weeks ago.

yjnkdawg
09-13-2020, 03:05 PM

It's Osirus and not Ovirus. He didn't intentionally drop that ball on purpose and he remembers it too, and would love to have that play back. Not forgiving him seems a little harsh. Football players are human too.

yjnkdawg
09-13-2020, 03:06 PM
You can get them at the State golf course. I got mine about 2 weeks ago.

Oh, OK..... Thanks.

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2020, 03:23 PM
It's Osirus and not Ovirus. He didn't intentionally drop that ball on purpose and he remembers it too, and would love to have that play back. Not forgiving him seems a little harsh. Football players are human too.

He's Osirus the Virus to me

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/die-hard-scenario/images/e/e1/CyrusTheVirus.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/340?cb=20130828175202

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2020, 03:23 PM
Is Homedawg ever going to give his run down?

Bothrops
09-13-2020, 04:08 PM
Osiris is one of our best receivers, true fact.

Hambone
09-13-2020, 04:15 PM
WAS one of our best. Not anymore.

I trust our HC.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-13-2020, 04:19 PM
WAS one of our best. Not anymore.

I trust our HC.

He still is. Leach called him out because he sees the flashes of brilliance he has he just wants him to be consistent with it.

HailStateSZN19
09-13-2020, 04:30 PM
He still is. Leach called him out because he sees the flashes of brilliance he has he just wants him to be consistent with it.

IYOK, you got any tidbits you can share from yesterday’s scrimmage?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-13-2020, 04:39 PM
IYOK, you got any tidbits you can share from yesterday’s scrimmage?

The offense is developing some much needed WR depth. Both QB's have been solid & the 1st team OL has been pretty salty. The 1st team defense has flashes but no one is going to confuse us with a top notch SEC defense. Our goal on defense is going to be force a lot of turnovers because we're not just going to shut down teams. I will say this that 2020 recruiting class is going to have a lot of contributors in it.

ZedFedder
09-13-2020, 04:48 PM
The offense is developing some much needed WR depth. Both QB's have been solid & the 1st team OL has been pretty salty. The 1st team defense has flashes but no one is going to confuse us with a top notch SEC defense. Our goal on defense is going to be force a lot of turnovers because we're not just going to shut down teams. I will say this that 2020 recruiting class is going to have a lot of contributors in it.

Everyone is talking about Tulu, but Walley seems as if he will contribute too

somebodyshotmypaw
09-13-2020, 04:50 PM
Joe Morrow's last season was 2015, how in the hell did you get them confused lol?

I was thinking it was either Antonio Hargro or ONeal Wilder with the drop.

HailStateSZN19
09-13-2020, 04:53 PM

Who do you feel like will be the main contributors at WR behind the obvious ones like Mitchell/Payton/Heath/Tulu/Williams?

I’m excited to see Rogers in there some against like Vandy and Arky when we’re thumping them. He’s gonna set some records here.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-13-2020, 05:01 PM
Who do you feel like will be the main contributors at WR behind the obvious ones like Mitchell/Payton/Heath/Tulu/Williams?

I’m excited to see Rogers in there some against like Vandy and Arky when we’re thumping them. He’s gonna set some records here.

Shavers & Walley will contribute then we'll see with guys like Shrader, Jones, Spivey, Cumbest, Ducking, & Gardner. A couple of those guys will have to emerge & be consistent.

msu15
09-13-2020, 05:49 PM

Rep given

BeardoMSU
09-13-2020, 05:52 PM

You forgot Marcus Green....and I vote we expand this discussion to basketball. I respectfully nominate Kodi Augustus.*

confucius say
09-13-2020, 06:25 PM
I thought it was Ray Ray Biviens

Hambone
09-13-2020, 06:38 PM
Couldn’t catch him inside a phone booth

shrimp
09-13-2020, 06:41 PM
I mean he was a true freshman and we should have recruited other receivers so that he wouldn't have been in that spot. And Joe should have been able to put up more points at home than that.

He was a redshirt Soph in 2018.

Homedawg
09-13-2020, 07:44 PM
I will say this, Paul Jones reported our second team line consisted of x (which includes lashley) yesterday .... but Scott lashkey didn't dress so his info isn't very good....

Ari Gold
09-13-2020, 08:07 PM
Think about this
The 2017 defense had 2 new major differences than the 2016 defense
Sweat and Coach Grantham
The only other 2 new faces ( I think) were Abram who did break out till the 2018 season and Willie Gay as a true freshman in a very limited role.. the rest of that 2017 defense were all on the 2016 team..

Now not saying we are going to be anywhere near the 2017 team on defense, but it should be much better than the 2016.. if Coach Arnett was the right hire.. he is better than Sirmon I think we all can agree on that
Yes we have a lot of young guys that have to grow up early..but they aren’t 2 stars or Walk ons..

The offense is the least of my worries
Solid QB RB and OL and with CML calling the plays the WR group will be just fine

Homedawg
09-13-2020, 08:14 PM
Is Homedawg ever going to give his run down?

No

Todd4State
09-13-2020, 08:35 PM
I will say this, Paul Jones reported our second team line consisted of x (which includes lashley) yesterday .... but Scott lashkey didn't dress so his info isn't very good....

Why didn't he dress out?

Think about this
The 2017 defense had 2 new major differences than the 2016 defense
Sweat and Coach Grantham
The only other 2 new faces ( I think) were Abram who did break out till the 2018 season and Willie Gay as a true freshman in a very limited role.. the rest of that 2017 defense were all on the 2016 team..

Now not saying we are going to be anywhere near the 2017 team on defense, but it should be much better than the 2016.. if Coach Arnett was the right hire.. he is better than Sirmon I think we all can agree on that
Yes we have a lot of young guys that have to grow up early..but they aren’t 2 stars or Walk ons..

The offense is the least of my worries
Solid QB RB and OL and with CML calling the plays the WR group will be just fine

I will say one thing about the 2016 defense is they had Jeffrey Simmons who even at that time was an obvious impact potential first round guy even at that stage and we knew he was only going to get better.

If we can average 24 PPG allowed on defense we will be OK.

Homedawg
09-13-2020, 08:39 PM
Why didn't he dress out?

I will say one thing about the 2016 defense is they had Jeffrey Simmons who even at that time was an obvious impact potential first round guy even at that stage and we knew he was only going to get better.

"Hurt"

Ari Gold
09-13-2020, 08:47 PM
Why didn't he dress out?

Agree...

Homedawg
09-13-2020, 09:20 PM
Why didn't he dress out?

I'll take 24 and call it a day....

Todd4State
09-13-2020, 09:25 PM
"Hurt"

Gracias!

Todd4State
09-13-2020, 09:28 PM
I'll take 24 and call it a day....

Averaging 24 last year would be around 9th-10th in the SEC last year. I think we averaged 28 PPG last year Tutor Gate and all. It could be apples and oranges a little with an All-SEC schedule and no Abeline Christian on the schedule though.

HoopsDawg
09-13-2020, 10:20 PM
No

So no report bc shotgun is a dick?

ShotgunDawg
09-13-2020, 11:44 PM
So no report bc shotgun is a dick?

Was I a dick?

I just questioned somethings. I want say anything if he doesn't want me to. I'd love to hear his report

HoopsDawg
09-13-2020, 11:58 PM
Was I a dick?

I just questioned somethings. I want say anything if he doesn't want me to. I'd love to hear his report

I don't know. Homedawg is a little sensitive if his reporting is questioned.

confucius say
09-14-2020, 12:09 PM
We gave up 32 a game vs sec opponents in 2019. If we only give up 24 this year, arnett deserves assistant coach of the year.

Coach34
09-14-2020, 12:37 PM
We gave up 32 a game vs sec opponents in 2019. If we only give up 24 this year, arnett deserves assistant coach of the year.

I dont see any way we give up less than 30 PPG

Cowbell
09-14-2020, 12:56 PM

Especially since we have a faster paced offense that will result in more possessions

ZedFedder
09-14-2020, 01:06 PM
Especially since we have a faster paced offense that will result in more possessions

I think it has been said that Leach's TOP is not as bad as you'd think. Not sure, though.

TrapGame
09-14-2020, 01:15 PM
I think it has been said that Leach's TOP is not as bad as you'd think. Not sure, though.

It has. He doesn't run a hurry up offense.

Leroy Jenkins
09-14-2020, 01:37 PM
It has. He doesn't run a hurry up offense.

And also WSU led the nation in fewest punts-per-play last year.

Cowbell
09-14-2020, 01:57 PM

I meant as more of a slight to the check with me offense we ran in years prior

ZedFedder
09-14-2020, 03:04 PM
I meant as more of a slight to the check with me offense we ran in years prior

Ahh, I see. Yes, that was the most maddening thing I have endured sports-wise in some time. Much worse than 1A/1B.

Cowbell
09-14-2020, 03:46 PM
Ahh, I see. Yes, that was the most maddening thing I have endured sports-wise in some time. Much worse than 1A/1B.

Yes I agree. Cowboys play calling is second.

Prediction? Pain.
09-14-2020, 04:06 PM

Yeah, 24 ppg would be a tall order. Comparing raw stats year to year isn't necessarily apples to apples for lots of reasons. But generally, since the SEC expanded to 14 teams in '12, a 24 ppg D in conference play would have the average rank of between 6th and 7th in the league. Grantham's 2017 scoring D in the SEC, for instance, was right at 24 ppg and it was ranked 6th. We had a rough season on D the year before Grantham, too, so there's precedent that drastic improvement can be done in a single season. But that's still a high standard.

I'm not sure if I have a goal for raw scoring defense in mind. I'd like to see any signs of improvement, obviously. But with such a lack of returning experience -- as I've harped elsewhere, even before the FSU transfers, we were 113th in FBS in returning defensive production; it's possible that we're bottom 10 now -- even that's going to require some work. Frankly, if Arnett can get us toward the middle of the pack in most defensive categories in the conference, say 10th to 8th (remember we were bottom two or three in most things last year), that'd be a good job. Anything on top of that is gravy.

Johnson85
09-14-2020, 04:18 PM

Without looking in detail as to who is bringing back what, I think we could reasonably knock it down to 28 pts a game. I'm not predicting that, but the teams likely to run it up on us this year also ran it up on us last year. Alabama is the only team I see on our schedule that I would expect to score more on us this year than last year. Certainly some other people will, but we will also have some pleasant surprises. Auburn could beat us like a red headed step child and still score two touchdowns less than they did last year. We're replacing UT with Vandy, and adding UGA, who will presumably drive the averages up but weren't big scorers last year and Mizzou, who wsa pretty anemic last year. THrow in the fact that presumably offenses will be alittle more impacted by COVID early in the year, and I think we could get 4 pts better without actually being much better beyond playing hard every play and having an offense that has a pulse.

Just comparing to last year:

UK 13 pts; Not sure what UK is bringning back and whether they have significant turnover where the COVID disruptions would cause them relatively more problems, but going to be difficult to match this, especially being at UK this year.

Auburn 56 pts: Auburn is replacing their OL for the most part, correct? We'll be at home. I would expect us to do better than this, even if we're not competitive.

UT 20 pts: Exchanged UT on the road for Vandy at home. Vandy only scored more than 14 pts in an SSEC game when they lost to LSU 66-38. Ole Miss held them to 6. I think we will probably do as good or better than 20 pts agsint them?

LSU 36: I'm shocked LSU only scored 36 against us last year. I would be surprised if they did better but am expecting them to get close even with Brennan at QB. I think they'll be able to over power us.

A&M 49 - Not expecting to do much better, but not expecting to do worse.

Arkansas - 24 - Not expecting to do much better or worse.

Alabama 38 - I could see them scoring more than this.

Ole Miss 21 - Could go either way. Our offense should be better, so hopefully they make it a little easier on the defense. Not sure what to expect out of Ole miss's offense.

Then we added Mizzou who averaged less than 18 pts a game in SEC last year, and UGA, who average 25.5 an SEC game (excluding SEC championship game) and had highs of 30 (Vandy) and 43 (UT).

MedDawg
09-14-2020, 07:13 PM
I was thinking it was either Antonio Hargro or ONeal Wilder with the drop.While we are talking about big drops, Leon Berry had one of our biggest in the 2010 game vs Auburn. Catch would have put us in FG range, and we lost by 3. I don't remember him being a pass dropper, but that was a bad one.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-14-2020, 07:21 PM
If we give up 24 ppg, we will win tons of games. I agree with coach34. I don?t see us giving up less than 30 ppg (assuming we play the 10 game schedule).

ShotgunDawg
09-14-2020, 09:31 PM

Discuss

https://i.imgur.com/z0JpUny.jpg

Coach34
09-14-2020, 09:49 PM
Discuss

We will be shitty on D because we lack talent, experience, and physicality. Our Secondary will be bad and we cant help them because we lack a pass rush. We have zero depth- which will really take it's toll early due to the heat and later because of injuries. We wont finish inside the top 10 of the SEC on D- in spite of being coached well.

Coach34
09-14-2020, 09:54 PM
Whats changed on our D now compared to the last few years? Not 1 person on our D this season is projected to be a top 3 round pick. We have had at least 1 projected top 3 round pick on our D for the last 10 years. But not this year. It's a talent problem

HailStateSZN19
09-14-2020, 10:01 PM
We will be shitty on D because we lack talent, experience, and physicality. Our Secondary will be bad and we cant help them because we lack a pass rush. We have zero depth- which will really take it's toll early due to the heat and later because of injuries. We wont finish inside the top 10 of the SEC on D- in spite of being coached well.

I’ll bet you we DO finish inside the Top 10 in the SEC.

We will be better defensively than Arky, OM, Vandy, and Mizzou for sure. We might be 8th or 9th but it’ll be inside the top 10.

confucius say
09-14-2020, 10:07 PM
I'm going to say 29 per game.

Todd4State
09-14-2020, 11:25 PM
Discuss

You probably have outliers with Alabama and Vanderbilt. Hopefully moreso Alabama.

ShotgunDawg
09-14-2020, 11:28 PM
Whats changed on our D now compared to the last few years? Not 1 person on our D this season is projected to be a top 3 round pick. We have had at least 1 projected top 3 round pick on our D for the last 10 years. But not this year. It's a talent problem

After putting so many great players in the league, it's unreal to me that we have a recruiting and talent problem on defense.

msu15
09-15-2020, 01:39 AM

I could care less as long as we score more than the other guy.

bulldawg28
09-15-2020, 04:45 AM

We will definitely have a top 3 round pick from this defense. Emerson, Crumedy, Pickering, Brule, Purvis, Forbes,, heck ill even say Peters if he keeps it up.

Cowbell
09-15-2020, 06:33 AM
We will definitely have a top 3 round pick from this defense. Emerson, Crumedy, Pickering, Brule, Purvis, Forbes,, heck ill even say Peters if he keeps it up.
Yeah the problem is experience not talent.

bulldawg28
09-15-2020, 08:17 AM
Yeah the problem is experience not talent.

Talent can close the so called experience gap quickly.

ShotgunDawg
09-15-2020, 08:20 AM

A big key to next year'd defense will be Demonte Russell's health.

He's got that classic pass rusher frame & was on pace to make a big jump this year before the car wreck. Hopefully he can get healthy, return, & reach his ceiling

bulldawg28
09-15-2020, 08:23 AM
A big key to next year'd defense will be Demonte Russell's health.

He's got that classic pass rusher frame & was on pace to make a big jump this year before the car wreck. Hopefully he can get healthy, return, & reach his ceiling

Hopefully the Co-lin DL transfer can make a difference this year. By game 3 I expect that light bulb to come on.

Bothrops
09-15-2020, 05:45 PM

We will be better defensively than Arky, OM, Vandy, and Mizzou for sure. We might be 8th or 9th but it’ll be inside the top 10.

Vandy is a safe bet, but i wouldn't bet on being better than the rest.

maroonmania
09-15-2020, 06:40 PM

Not only that but how many games did we even get out of our top 3 round picks last year? We got 4 games from Gay and not many more from Dantzler due to injuries.

Jarius
09-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Vandy is a safe bet, but i wouldn't bet on being better than the rest.

We will be better than Vandy, Arkansas, and Ole Miss on defense 100%. Those 3 teams are going to be really really bad defensively. Missouri has a really good DC but they are also at the end of a talent cycle. That could go either way.

Todd4State
09-15-2020, 07:28 PM
Not only that but how many games did we even get out of our top 3 round picks last year? We got 4 games from Gay and not many more from Dantzler due to injuries.

Dantzler made a lot of business decisions last year.

Todd4State
09-15-2020, 07:30 PM
Talent can close the so called experience gap quickly.

I agree. Of course you prefer both but one or the other is acceptable. I think sometimes having just experience with average talent will still lead to average results.

Coach34
09-15-2020, 07:37 PM

You gonna be in for a rude awakening.

Jarius
09-15-2020, 09:57 PM

If we don’t have a better defense than those 4 teams then whoever is telling you our DC is good but needs more talent doesn’t know what they are talking about because we have recruited at a much higher level than any of those 4 teams. You may be right. We may have the worst defense in the conference.....but you can’t have your cake and eat it too. We aren’t that void of talent. Having worse defenses than any of Vandy, Ole Miss, or Arkansas this year would mean we need to fire the defensive coordinator.

HailStateSZN19
09-15-2020, 10:47 PM

You’re gonna be in for a pleasant surprise. See how easy that is?

But I’m sure when we are inside the Top 10 in the SEC on defense, you’ll find a way to bitch and complain and move the goal posts somehow saying it still wasn’t good enough when you’re acting like we’re about to be all-time bad. But I know your schtick, your Mr Pessimism who tries to play it off as “just being real”. We’re not gonna be good on defense by any means but we will be better than Arkansas, OM, Vandy, and Mizzou and will be inside the Top 10 in the SEC. We’re not completely void of talent. We’ve got some pieces to work with.

msu15
09-16-2020, 12:08 AM

But I’m sure when we are inside the Top 10 in the SEC on defense, you’ll find a way to bitch and complain and move the goal posts somehow saying it still wasn’t good enough when you’re acting like we’re about to be all-time bad. But I know your schtick, your Mr Pessimism who tries to play it off as “just being real”. We’re not gonna be good on defense by any means but we will be better than Arkansas, OM, Vandy, and Mizzou and will be inside the Top 10 in the SEC. We’re not completely void of talent. We’ve got some pieces to work with.

He's just mad that we don't his favorite 2005 offense anymore that runs the qb and wears him down as the season goes on.

HailStateSZN19
09-16-2020, 12:24 AM
He's just mad that we don't his favorite 2005 offense anymore that runs the qb and wears him down as the season goes on.

Facts. He’ll claim this defense will finish last in the league and when we finish inside the top 10 in the SEC, he’ll move the goal posts back and make excuses and walk it back and find something to complain about finishing way better than he predicts. I know how it goes with him lol.

Ari Gold
09-16-2020, 09:02 AM
No draft boards had Sweat on it when he first arrived on campus...
Jordan Davis is a NFL talent.. let’s see how he pans out

Pickering and Crumedy both should play on Sundays
Emerson is ahead of Dantzler at this point In Their careers

Errol is a solid SEC LB.. and could for sure make a roster .

Spencer played as a true freshman on the Simmons and Sweat teams. Injuries have hurt him big time. Hopefully the kid has a injury free season. We for sure need him

Murphy with a full season and starting role could have a big year and set himself up nicely for his Sr Season

And if Tre Lawson can get healthy he will be a factor this season

There isnt a Simmons on the roster , but again it’s not a bunch of walk ons and 2 stars ..

Irondawg
09-16-2020, 09:19 AM
The thing is that we cannot absorb any injuries in the secondary and we need our safeties just to play solid.

I would guess we're going to put Emerson on an island and try to help everyone else. I tend to agree that we're not going to be good but we're not going to be historically bad either unless 2-3 key guys go down.

RiverCityDawg
09-16-2020, 09:52 AM

I think 10th ahead of those 4 teams you mention is a decent bet. Or maybe South Carolina behind us and Missouri one spot ahead. Either way, 9th or 10th feels about right. Injuries/COVID to Erroll and Emerson and we could be last. I think the margin is that close.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2020, 09:52 AM
The thing is that we cannot absorb any injuries in the secondary and we need our safeties just to play solid.

I would guess we're going to put Emerson on an island and try to help everyone else. I tend to agree that we're not going to be good but we're not going to be historically bad either unless 2-3 key guys go down.

I would put Emerson on LSU's 2nd best WR 1 on 1 & then double LSU's best WR

HailStateSZN19
09-16-2020, 10:12 AM
I think 10th ahead of those 4 teams you mention is a decent bet. Or maybe South Carolina behind us and Missouri one spot ahead. Either way, 9th or 10th feels about right. Injuries/COVID to Erroll and Emerson and we could be last. I think the margin is that close.

That's fair but we can't predict injuries or COVID issues. I'm going off what we have on paper right now. If we get decimated anywhere by injuries or COVID, absolutely we could finish around last but that's trying to predict something that is unpredictable.

But as long as we stay healthy and don't have a COVID breakout, my prediction is about 9th in the SEC, ahead of Vandy, Mizzou, OM, Arky, and USC.

Bama, UGA, LSU, Auburn, UK, Florida, and Tennessee with Pruitt as the HC will all be ahead of us for sure. I don't know what to make of A&M with their opt-outs because they had a couple key DB's opt out I believe. I'll say they still are most likely to finish ahead of us.

Prediction? Pain.
09-16-2020, 10:13 AM
No draft boards had Sweat on it when he first arrived on campus...
Jordan Davis is a NFL talent.. let?s see how he pans out

Pickering and Crumedy both should play on Sundays
Emerson is ahead of Dantzler at this point In Their careers

Errol is a solid SEC LB.. and could for sure make a roster .

Spencer played as a true freshman on the Simmons and Sweat teams. Injuries have hurt him big time. Hopefully the kid has a injury free season. We for sure need him

Murphy with a full season and starting role could have a big year and set himself up nicely for his Sr Season

And if Tre Lawson can get healthy he will be a factor this season

There isnt a Simmons on the roster , but again it?s not a bunch of walk ons and 2 stars ..

These are great points and it shows that any lumps the defense takes this season should stem from inexperience and the new system more than on-paper talent. We've got around 22 dudes on defense who were consensus high three-star or higher prospects (87+ for the 247Sports nerds) with multiple SEC and Power 5 offers out of high school. (And 8 of those were legit blue chippers.) And that doesn't even include dudes like Odom, Lawson, and Emerson who were mid-three-star guys.

So I think we've got the dudes. It's just that lots of them haven't played much for us before. The rub's going to be how much the coaching staff can get out of such an inexperienced group. Recent history among teams with similarly inexperienced units says it's going going to be a struggle. But who knows.

HailStateSZN19
09-16-2020, 10:54 AM
I would put Emerson on LSU's 2nd best WR 1 on 1 & then double LSU's best WR

Emerson on Marshall Jr. Best on best and try to not let him beat you by himself.

Forbes on McMath. I'd be intrigued to see Forbes' length against McMath's length.

Peters/Murphy on Boutte. Idk who will be in coverage more between Peters and Murphy but Boutte can fly so whoever it is, they better bring they're track shoes guarding Boutte.

Brule on Gilbert. I think with Brule's size, speed, and athleticism he's our best shot at keeping Gilbert in check somewhat.

ZedFedder
09-16-2020, 10:58 AM
Emerson on Marshall Jr. Best on best and try to not let him beat you by himself.

Forbes on McMath. I'd be intrigued to see Forbes' length against McMath's length.

Peters/Murphy on Boutte. Idk who will be in coverage more between Peters and Murphy but Boutte can fly so whoever it is, they better bring they're track shoes guarding Boutte.

Brule on Gilbert. I think with Brule's size, speed, and athleticism he's our best shot at keeping Gilbert in check somewhat.

Those are scary matchups outside of Emerson. McMath has 50 lbs in Forbes and is just as fast.

HailStateSZN19
09-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Those are scary matchups outside of Emerson. McMath has 50 lbs in Forbes and is just as fast.

I think Peters and Murphy can keep Boutte in check. He's a player but he's a freshman playing in his first SEC game. I'll take Murphy and Peters' experience.

Brule on Gilbert could be a heck of a matchup but could be a matchup that plays a huge part in determining the outcome because LSU fans have raved and raved about this kid in camp saying he's been unguardable.

Forbes/Furdge on McMath is scary. McMath doesn't have a ton of experience but he's talented and more experienced than Furdge or Forbes.

msstate7
09-16-2020, 11:16 AM
If Brennan has time and can deliver the ball in the general area of his WRs, we're gonna be torched. I might would just send a bunch of blitzes, and hope you get there... don't think Brennan can use his legs like burrow

TrapGame
09-16-2020, 11:21 AM
If Brennan has time and can deliver the ball in the general area of his WRs, we're gonna be torched. I might would just send a bunch of blitzes, and hope you get there... don't think Brennan can use his legs like burrow

Brennan isn't qualified to hold Joe Burrow's jock. The shoes he's filling are 50 gallon barrels to him.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2020, 11:27 AM

Yeah. We're going to have to be aggressive to see if we can force mistakes

msstate7
09-16-2020, 11:41 AM
Brennan isn't qualified to hold Joe Burrow's jock. The shoes he's filling are 50 gallon barrels to him.

I certainly don't think he is. To be fair though, burrow '18 wasn't very good, and he turned out to be one of the best I've ever saw play in 1 season. For this reason, I'm holding off on judgement of Brennan

TrapGame
09-16-2020, 11:58 AM
I certainly don't think he is. To be fair though, burrow '18 wasn't very good, and he turned out to be one of the best I've ever saw play in 1 season. For this reason, I'm holding off on judgement of Brennan

If Joe Brady was still at LSU I'd be more worried.

KOdawg1
09-16-2020, 12:08 PM
Look, our defense is going to be pretty bad. Will it be 2016 bad? Probably not. But make no mistake, we're going to get lit up against good teams.

The good news is our offense is the type that can make up for bad defensive play due to us getting in some shoot outs. At least we better hope so.

We can still win 4-5 games. Which with a 10 game SEC schedule, is pretty good.

Coach34
09-16-2020, 01:13 PM
Facts. He?ll claim this defense will finish last in the league and when we finish inside the top 10 in the SEC, he?ll move the goal posts back and make excuses and walk it back and find something to complain about finishing way better than he predicts. I know how it goes with him lol.

Moorhead has his QB now!!! We gonna roll!!!!! You'll see Coach!!!

HailStateSZN19
09-16-2020, 01:36 PM

What does Joe and Tommy Stevens have to do with this situation and the defense that we're discussing?

Nice deflection there C34. Typical and about what I expected lol. When you can't debate something further, turn to deflection about something that's not even relevant.

We'll see who is right about the defense in December. But I have a sneaky suspicion that when I'm right about this defense, you'll still find some way to deflect and bitch and complain to make it sound like it still didn't do well enough when you're projecting it to be pretty much dead last in the league. Never change Coach, never change.

Santiago
09-16-2020, 01:51 PM
This season will be interesting on the defensive team rankings now that the weaker east teams have to play a couple more west teams. Maybe not, but it definitely may level the score on those rankings.
Kentucky , Missouri, SC, TN having to play a couple more West teams if anything will also take its toll on their depth also. Same as we always had to deal with.
Yes they have Georgia, Florida, but now add more west teams. Wondering if this year the offensive and defensive rankings look different than normal seasons.
edit: Add Vandy on that side....So a team like TN gets to play Kentucky, Vandy, SC, and Missouri , and until recently Florida was not an efficient offense either.

This year may level all that out at least a little more than normal

somebodyshotmypaw
09-16-2020, 09:06 PM
I feel like we have lost some monster defensive talent the last few years. We aren't as big, fast, or physical as we have been on defense. We don't have the depth we are used to seeing. Missed games for COVID is a concern, a 10-game schedule in the toughest conference in America is a concern, and we are adjusting to a new system. I just don't see how we are going to hold folks to 24 points per game. I ain't seeing it. I agree with Coach34.

Coach34
09-16-2020, 10:39 PM
What does Joe and Tommy Stevens have to do with this situation and the defense that we're discussing?.

Because its the same shit- different year. Just like last year when I said Moorhead sucked and we were going to struggle- oh noooooo, JoVester has his QB now was the response. I said we didnt have a chance against Auburn and some of you called me crazy. Then we saw what happened.

We are not going to be very good on D this year. We could get lucky and finish 9th- but we are going to give up over 30 PPG and wont be able to stop an offense with a pulse. We have no pass rush, a bad secondary, and no depth. Plus we are very inexperienced. We are not in the top 110 in college football of returning production. All of those things point to a bad defense. There is no deflection- I've posted all this before. I didnt realize I had to keep posting it over and over.

HailStateSZN19
09-16-2020, 11:07 PM
Because its the same shit- different year. Just like last year when I said Moorhead sucked and we were going to struggle- oh noooooo, JoVester has his QB now was the response. I said we didnt have a chance against Auburn and some of you called me crazy. Then we saw what happened.

We are not going to be very good on D this year. We could get lucky and finish 9th- but we are going to give up over 30 PPG and wont be able to stop an offense with a pulse. We have no pass rush, a bad secondary, and no depth. Plus we are very inexperienced. We are not in the top 110 in college football of returning production. All of those things point to a bad defense. There is no deflection- I've posted all this before. I didnt realize I had to keep posting it over and over.

So you want a cookie for being right about Joe and Tommy and the Auburn game under a terrible coaching staff? Lol. Give me a break. Like predicting those things automatically makes it more likely that your prediction on this years defense will come true. You’ve already walked it back to “we may get lucky and finish 9th” lol. That’s after you saying there’s no way in hell we finish inside the top 10 but now you’re opening the door juuuuuust in case we do like I’m saying we will. Like I said, never change C34. Very predictable. I’m out on this thread. Peace.

RezDog7
09-16-2020, 11:08 PM

34 is the Dan Wolken of MSU sports.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-17-2020, 10:49 AM

I agree. The depth isn't good. We don't have the talent we are used to having. There are no Alcorns or Abilene Christians on the schedule. We don't have the depth for COVID or injuries. We are going to take our lumps on defense this year. I don't see any way around it.

Johnson85
09-17-2020, 11:34 AM
I agree. The depth isn't good. We don't have the talent we are used to having. There are no Alcorns or Abilene Christians on the schedule. We don't have the depth for COVID or injuries. We are going to take our lumps on defense this year. I don't see any way around it.

We are not going to be good, but if you're talking about conference only stats, everybody is in the same boat, so it won't matter for conference rankings, and not everybody in the SEC is a powerhouse. We're going to be bottom third of the conference on defense. I don't think even the most optimistic fan is expecting us to be better than the 9th best defense. But the people acting like we are going to be historically bad are probably overly pessimistic.

We allowed 32 pts per game in conference last year. If you look at the actual game scores from last year and our schedule this year, it's not crazy to think we'll do a little better this year. We're not going to 24 points a game, but we might could get under 30. Just hard to say because there are so many unknowns. Our pts per game stats could improve a lot if our offense is competent and doesn't have a ton of three and outs and just gives our defense some breathers. We could have a couple of key injuries and be really, really bad. But we're probably going to look a lot like we did last year, which was bad but not horrific. Hopefully an adequate strength and conditioning program and accountability will have us look as good as our defense did with all the players available, which if we can do that, will probably result in us having improved SEC only, per game stats year over year, and probably ending up in that 9th or 10th in the SEC rather than the bottom.

FISHDAWG
09-17-2020, 12:29 PM
https://twitter.com/BarrettSallee/status/1306612972471701504

msbulldog
09-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Man, I cannot believe that UM homer Sallee had something good to say about us.

Jarius
09-17-2020, 02:43 PM

We aren?t hiring the ****ing pirate at Mississippi State.

Cowbell
09-17-2020, 03:19 PM

Mic drop

FISHDAWG
09-17-2020, 03:28 PM
Man, I cannot believe that UM homer Sallee had something good to say about us.

only because it's 2020

Coach34
09-17-2020, 05:32 PM

I didnt think we would attempt that. I wasnt claiming any inside source on Leach. Definite outside the box move by Cohen. We'll see how it works out.

SmokeyDawg
09-18-2020, 01:46 AM
I didnt think we would attempt that. I wasnt claiming any inside source on Leach. Definite outside the box move by Cohen. We'll see how it works out.

Lol can't eat crow, but can't wait to say "told you so."

BB30
09-18-2020, 10:42 AM

Dude come on now. That prediction about Leach is no different than the one you are making about our defense right now.

Now, I do agree with you that our D won't be very good this year but you are pretty bad about not accepting when you're wrong and you LOVE pointing out when you are correct.. Just admit you were wrong on Leach and move on. No need in trying to defend the reason as to why you were wrong.

Captain Falcon
09-18-2020, 10:49 AM

Maybe word it like that next time instead of being smug and condescending like you think you know more than everybody else.

Coach34
09-19-2020, 12:16 AM
Dude come on now. That prediction about Leach is no different than the one you are making about our defense right now. .

Thats crazy. Thinking we wouldnt attempt to hire a 60 plus year old coach coaching on the West coast that is pass happy is very different from discussing X's and O's along with personnel.

Coach34
09-19-2020, 12:17 AM
Maybe word it like that next time instead of being smug and condescending like you think you know more than everybody else.

Well, I do know more than most. Thats why I'm usually correct on X's and O's and personnel.

99jc
09-19-2020, 12:40 AM
Well, I do know more than most. Thats why I'm usually correct on X's and O's and personnel.

Your arrogance is only surpassed by your humility**** ! You will never make a good coach because your as hardheaded as Moorhead. Knowing x's and 0's doesn't mean a dang. There's a lot of coaches smarter than you looking for a job right now,

SmokeyDawg
09-19-2020, 12:50 AM

Literally no one is expecting us to end up in the top half in the sec defensively. Who's your source, the roster? Your insight is impeccable*** Excuse us for looking forward to our football team playing. We also look forward to every football thread being completed by your assessment of our defense. We Know... ITS COMING!!!

Dawgfan77
09-19-2020, 05:03 AM
Thats crazy. Thinking we wouldnt attempt to hire a 60 plus year old coach coaching on the West coast that is pass happy is very different from discussing X's and O's along with personnel.

He is 59 and not 60 plus.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-19-2020, 08:49 AM
We are not going to be good, but if you're talking about conference only stats, everybody is in the same boat, so it won't matter for conference rankings, and not everybody in the SEC is a powerhouse. We're going to be bottom third of the conference on defense. I don't think even the most optimistic fan is expecting us to be better than the 9th best defense. But the people acting like we are going to be historically bad are probably overly pessimistic.

We allowed 32 pts per game in conference last year. If you look at the actual game scores from last year and our schedule this year, it's not crazy to think we'll do a little better this year. We're not going to 24 points a game, but we might could get under 30. Just hard to say because there are so many unknowns. Our pts per game stats could improve a lot if our offense is competent and doesn't have a ton of three and outs and just gives our defense some breathers. We could have a couple of key injuries and be really, really bad. But we're probably going to look a lot like we did last year, which was bad but not horrific. Hopefully an adequate strength and conditioning program and accountability will have us look as good as our defense did with all the players available, which if we can do that, will probably result in us having improved SEC only, per game stats year over year, and probably ending up in that 9th or 10th in the SEC rather than the bottom.

Nowhere in my posts have I mentioned rankings. I am talking points per game. Maybe we end up 1st or maybe we end up 14th. I just don't think we are deep. I don't think we will be good. And I don't think we give up less than 30 ppg. I hope I'm wrong.

Jarius
09-19-2020, 10:07 AM

I will admit that you are a much better X and O guy from me, but when you toot your own horn and are wrong I'm going to bust your balls. That's just who I am. I generally like your insight. We are all family and want the same thing.

Coach34
09-19-2020, 06:28 PM
Your arrogance is only surpassed by your humility**** ! You will never make a good coach because your as hardheaded as Moorhead. Knowing x's and 0's doesn't mean a dang. ,

Before 2017- I'd never had an offense throw more than 15 passes in a ballgame. That was about 13 seasons of playcalling. In 2019- We averaged 18,7 passes per game. In 2020- we are 50/50 run and pass. I am the exact opposite of hardheaded as a coach. I'm even using the wide line splits Leach advocates.