PDA

View Full Version : Hopson apparently out at usm

AlSwearengen
09-06-2020, 11:05 PM
Nm

KOdawg1
09-06-2020, 11:37 PM
He pissed some people off when he tried to hire Briles. Things have been pretty dicey since.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2020, 11:54 PM
But I was told there wouldn't be any firing this year

Captain Falcon
09-06-2020, 11:57 PM
Scratching my head about this happening after one game at a place like USM. I realize Hopson is not popular but that's a really short leash for a program that's not really in a position to take a ton of risks right now.

KOdawg1
09-07-2020, 12:01 AM
Scratching my head about this happening after one game at a place like USM. I realize Hopson is not popular but that's a really short leash for a program that's not really in a position to take a ton of risks right now.

I personally hope this is the final nail in that program's coffin.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2020, 12:07 AM

Not like they'll miss the revenue generated by their 17 fans.

hp22
09-07-2020, 12:41 AM
That's lulz

Couldn't happen to a better bunch. Hacks.

Our baseball regional we won down there a few years back ensured my position they are god awful fanbase absent class. It was worse than oxford or baton rouge.

Todd4State
09-07-2020, 12:53 AM
He pissed some people off when he tried to hire Briles. Things have been pretty dicey since.

Not surprising that an Ole Miss alum would try to hire someone like that considering three out of Ole Miss's last four OC/DC hires.

But I was told there wouldn't be any firing this year

Didn't Dan Wolken say that? Or was he was too busy covering tennis and pretending that college football isn't happening while he is getting absolutely roasted?

Now Jackson State and USM are looking for coaches.

Having watched them last night and the year before they were clearly on the way down with Hopson. I figured he would keep them around 6-6 though- which would have taken a few years except for the fact that I forgot about the Briles fiasco. But let's be honest here- the AAC and MSU beating USM 49-0 in 2014 were probably really the final nails in the coffin. 2011 was their last hurrah. That said, they're essentially like any other Sun Belt level program. They could find a coach that could win there if they found the right one- like a Todd Monken. The trick is finding a coach that is the right one- because they're probably going to have to go after a sitting OC/DC or assistant. And based on MSU doing that- (Felker, Croom, Mullen, and Moorhead) they have about a 25% chance of finding the "right" guy. If they find the right guy- and I do think the potential is there to do that- they could end up like Appalachain State 2.0. Odds are they won't though.

Will Hall might be the best that they can hope for. At least he appears to be able to recruit.

Todd4State
09-07-2020, 12:56 AM
That's lulz

Our baseball regional we won down there a few years back ensured my position they are god awful fanbase absent class. It was worse than oxford or baton rouge.

When they dropped that pop up- I've seen enough baseball to know what was going to happen next. And it did. Quite an implosion.

Commercecomet24
09-07-2020, 01:01 AM
That's lulz

Exactly! They're awful!

hp22
09-07-2020, 01:28 AM
Nm

When they dropped that pop up- I've seen enough baseball to know what was going to happen next. And it did. Quite an implosion.

One of my favorite msu moments...and I've seen a lot of them. Winning that game was something else. Considering the entire season, that's exactly how it was suppose to conclude. I drove down last minute and saw Billingsley shut them out and Lovelady hit a dinger.

Coldhardtruth
09-07-2020, 07:11 AM
If they find the right guy- and I do think the potential is there to do that- they could end up like Appalachain State 2.0. Odds are they won't though.

They already had that and a couple of big donors put a choke hold on them and forced out one of if not the most successful CFB coach the state has ever seen. They deserve what the got.

msu15
09-07-2020, 08:20 AM
Not surprising that an Ole Miss alum would try to hire someone like that considering three out of Ole Miss's last four OC/DC hires.

Didn't Dan Wolken say that? Or was he was too busy covering tennis and pretending that college football isn't happening while he is getting absolutely roasted?

Now Jackson State and USM are looking for coaches.

Having watched them last night and the year before they were clearly on the way down with Hopson. I figured he would keep them around 6-6 though- which would have taken a few years except for the fact that I forgot about the Briles fiasco. But let's be honest here- the AAC and MSU beating USM 49-0 in 2014 were probably really the final nails in the coffin. 2011 was their last hurrah. That said, they're essentially like any other Sun Belt level program. They could find a coach that could win there if they found the right one- like a Todd Monken. The trick is finding a coach that is the right one- because they're probably going to have to go after a sitting OC/DC or assistant. And based on MSU doing that- (Felker, Croom, Mullen, and Moorhead) they have about a 25% chance of finding the "right" guy. If they find the right guy- and I do think the potential is there to do that- they could end up like Appalachain State 2.0. Odds are they won't though.

Will Hall might be the best that they can hope for. At least he appears to be able to recruit.

They have no chance of becoming anything anymore. Once State and Ole Miss finally decided to step up and become big time programs with the Nutt and Mullen hirings, which coincided with finally keeping all the big time MS prospects in the SEC, that killed USM's program.

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Yes he did say that.

Unfortunately, in America, both parties are characterized by their most extreme segments. Thing is, that while I am fairly moderate politically, Wolken is far left. He's not quite Antifa, but, if he didn't have to maintain a professional presence, I believe he'd be headed that way

TrapGame
09-07-2020, 09:13 AM
I had a few USM buddies on FB that were pretty livid about Saturday. I thought Hopson wore shorts or something. I guess he's still mad he didn't get the ole miss job.

was21
09-07-2020, 10:00 AM
Hopson may have lost interest when they refused to allow him to hire Art Briles..he saw the writing on the wall and has simply been sleepwalking the job since then.

TrapGame
09-07-2020, 10:13 AM
Hopson may have lost interest when they refused to allow him to hire Art Briles..he saw the writing on the wall and has simply been sleepwalking the job since then.

USM has zero money for asst. coaches too. One of our drug reps grew up with Larry Fedora and his family in Texas. He's still friends with one of LF's brothers who is a HS coach in Texas. LF wanted him to be his OC but USM couldn't pay him more than he was already making as a HS coach.

Cooterpoot
09-07-2020, 10:24 AM

There was a bit of a player uprising after that loss this week. Supposedly several players went to the AD, as did boosters. But, still not sure this happens until end of season. We'll see.

was21
09-07-2020, 11:02 AM
can't see him being fired at this point in the season unless they have an unofficial yes from some other corch, which is doubtable

Jack Lambert
09-07-2020, 11:56 AM
We probably should have fired Mullen when he lost to S Alabama and the wearing of the shorts.

1bigdawg
09-07-2020, 12:38 PM
Only two or three Sun Belt programs have smaller athletic budgets than USM. Arkansas State, for example, has a 40% bigger budget than USM. They have done pretty well considering that.

Fader21
09-07-2020, 02:39 PM
Y'all think Hudspeth has had enough time with his family??

Cooterpoot
09-07-2020, 03:04 PM
Y'all think Hudspeth has had enough time with his family??

Not even a consideration.

Cooterpoot
09-07-2020, 04:31 PM
Looks like it's done. Let's see if they can pull Hall or Johns. At least it's something sports related to talk about.

Medic601
09-07-2020, 06:10 PM
1. Hopson has been a state of MS employee for years and was eligible for retirement. He just did 4 years at USM which were his highest 4, he resigned and will get a large retirement salary from the state. He played that like a fiddle.

2. Few close friends that work at USM and still live in Hattiesburg (I lived there for 8 years) and every one of them has told me, at a different time, that the word around campus, coffee shops, and the street is there is a BIG push for Freeze. 😂

ZedFedder
09-07-2020, 06:34 PM
Freeze would absolutely kill it there, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he got a big recruit every now and then. I hope he stays away.

Bothrops
09-07-2020, 07:14 PM
Freeze would absolutely kill it there, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he got a big recruit every now and then. I hope he stays away.

At one time perhaps he would, but until I see a huge change in fan support, excitement, and buy-in for a guy, I don't think anyone will move the needle much in results.

Cooterpoot
09-07-2020, 07:17 PM
USM is after Hall at Tulane and Johns at Memphis. Those are the top two on their list. Freeze isn't an option at all.

SteelCurtain74
09-07-2020, 07:19 PM
According to Brett McMurphy, here is the initial list of candidates

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-potential-southern-miss-head-coach-candidates-include-ex-sec-coach-and-a-current-sec-assistant/

was21
09-07-2020, 07:23 PM
Freeze making $2mil...he ain't leaving for a 50% pay cut and no moolah for assistants at USM

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2020, 07:57 PM
They don?t have the money to pay anyone worth a crap. I bet 75% of SEC assistants make within 30% of what they can afford.

BeardoMSU
09-07-2020, 08:08 PM
Freeze making $2mil...he ain't leaving for a 50% pay cut and no moolah for assistants at USM

Tend to agree. Also, he won't have the "network" at USM that will carry him along like he did at OM.

Todd4State
09-07-2020, 08:24 PM
They don?t have the money to pay anyone worth a crap. I bet 75% of SEC assistants make within 30% of what they can afford.

Yeah. And the problem with that is it means that a guy like a Todd Grantham would have to take a paycut if he wanted to be the head coach there. Just as an example.

Todd4State
09-07-2020, 08:26 PM
Tend to agree. Also, he won't have the "network" at USM that will carry him along like he did at OM.

Freeze's recruiting at Liberty hasn't been much to write home about. Not that I would expect him to pull five stars there- but he has been recruiting mostly 2-3 star guys for them.

Cooterpoot
09-07-2020, 08:47 PM
USM will never hire Freeze, Nix, Fedora or Monken. It's Hall and Johns.
USM is talking up to $1M for a HC and like $1.7M for assistants. Supposedly a couple boosters are going to cover it. We shall see.

Todd4State
09-07-2020, 11:14 PM
USM will never hire Freeze, Nix, Fedora or Monken. It's Hall and Johns.
USM is talking up to $1M for a HC and like $1.7M for assistants. Supposedly a couple boosters are going to cover it. We shall see.

I thought it was pretty funny that on Twitter some of the candidates were their ex-head coaches. That would be like MSU having Jackie, Croom, Dan, and Joe as candidates for our job. As I've said before I can't see Freeze taking a pay cut and going there unless he just really wants to come back to Mississippi. I think he's in a better situation at Liberty. Nix sucks as a DC- which typically means he would be even worse as a head coach.

Honestly, if I were them I'd kick the tires on Rich Rodriguez. If they pull it off they might be able to get Plumlee down the road.

StateDawg44
09-08-2020, 08:52 AM
I thought it was pretty funny that on Twitter some of the candidates were their ex-head coaches. That would be like MSU having Jackie, Croom, Dan, and Joe as candidates for our job. As I've said before I can't see Freeze taking a pay cut and going there unless he just really wants to come back to Mississippi. I think he's in a better situation at Liberty. Nix sucks as a DC- which typically means he would be even worse as a head coach.

Honestly, if I were them I'd kick the tires on Rich Rodriguez. If they pull it off they might be able to get Plumlee down the road.

That would be hilarious.

ScoobaDawg
09-08-2020, 08:59 AM
Couldn't happen to a better group. They really should go FCS.... there budget is shrinking and they can't afford to stay D1.

I can't say i didn't laugh a little when the dirty birds lost.