PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Scrimmage

Heydawg
09-05-2020, 03:19 PM
Any thoughts or insights?

Tyler Horkheimer tweeted:
?Mike Leach says K.J. Costello was impressive today during the scrimmage, and he said Will Rogers did an "admirable job."
"I thought those two had a good scrimmage."

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2020, 04:24 PM

Dawgfan77
09-05-2020, 05:53 PM
WR most improved unit. DL is ok need some guys to step up.... D is legit but we need some guys to turn it on...DBs were solid but not great. WR were improved.. OL is the best they have had... QB is solid. No concern.... LB... fast physical. Need to play under control. D intense but need to play more in control.. WR improved... DBs. Better. Need some guys to step up. Better than expected. Did I mention WR impressed....

RocketDawg
09-05-2020, 06:23 PM
WR most improved unit. DL is ok need some guys to step up.... D is legit but we need some guys to turn it on...DBs were solid but not great. WR were improved.. OL is the best they have had... QB is solid. No concern.... LB... fast physical. Need to play under control. D intense but need to play more in control.. WR improved... DBs. Better. Need some guys to step up. Better than expected. Did I mention WR impressed....

Might be an interesting season after all - assuming the early games by other schools don't cause severe Covid outbreaks. The fans certainly aren't separating for the most part (but the band for Texas State is, and they're staying that way - not bunching up).

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2020, 06:26 PM

Anything more specific than this?

Cooterpoot
09-05-2020, 06:28 PM
The defense hasn't been that good. Still learning and short on players. WRs are still inconsistent but will be better than last few years. Watching this SMU/Texas State game, these damn WRs are making some crazy good catches!

Leroy Jenkins
09-05-2020, 06:37 PM
Leach said KJ suffers from "big arm disease" and the objective is for the WRs to have a chance to run with the ball once they catch it.

Implying KJ needs to put some touch on the ball occasionally so they receivers are not bobbling a hot potato and can get up-field.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2020, 06:51 PM
Take this for what it worth but I've heard from a few defensive players that Schrader has looked really good this fall. Arm strength is excellent and has recovered from surgery. Rumor that JoMo S&C program did absolutely nothing to help him rehab his shoulder. Once again take it for what it's worth but it's coming from guys on defense that would know. I think it's gonna be fun interesting season.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2020, 06:59 PM
Take this for what it worth but I've heard from a few defensive players that Schrader has looked really good this fall. Arm strength is excellent and has recovered from surgery. Rumor that JoMo S&C program did absolutely nothing to help him rehab his shoulder. Once again take it for what it's worth but it's coming from guys on defense that would know. I think it's gonna be fun interesting season.

I wouldn’t doubt this. I think Will is probably ahead mentally more than anything but Schrader has a year to catch up to Will in that regard

Leroy Jenkins
09-05-2020, 07:19 PM

More than once Ive heard Leach refer to the QB competition as "KJ, Will (long pause searching to recall names) and the other two."

hp22
09-05-2020, 07:25 PM
More than once Ive heard Leach refer to the QB competition as "KJ, Will (long pause searching to recall names) and the other two."

Yep

And he did it again today in his press conference. He did not shut the door on the QB competition but the separation gap widened between the top 2 and the others competeting.

Homedawg
09-05-2020, 07:42 PM

D is legit?? We getting two different reports. I'll leave it alone. I know I'm gonna get crucified.

Todd4State
09-05-2020, 07:49 PM
I'm just hoping that our scheme creates some confusion and turnovers to offset our lack of talent and experience. And that Leach can outscore some people if need be.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2020, 07:50 PM
D is legit?? We getting two different reports. I'll leave it alone. I know I'm gonna get crucified.

Yeah defense is a work in progress right now. DC appears to be excellent but we got work to do.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2020, 07:51 PM

We'll see what happens but I've got no problem having 3 really good qbs on the roster, which it appears we have. Good problem to have.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2020, 07:53 PM
Ducking is a man child here and Shavers does somethings

Commercecomet24
09-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Ducking is a man child here and Shavers does somethings

Dang man we're playing harder in scrimmages than we did in games last year. Nice to see.

Homedawg
09-05-2020, 07:56 PM
Yeah defense is a work in progress right now. DC appears to be excellent but we got work to do.

I keep getting rave reviews about Arnett. But Jinny's and joes are an issue. Not having Lovett is big.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2020, 07:58 PM
I keep getting rave reviews about Arnett. But Jinny's and joes are an issue. Not having Lovett is big.

Yeah I've been hearing the same thing. Players love Arnett and he's sharp and intense. When we get him a little more depth and talent he could be awesome.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2020, 08:14 PM

Not having Lovett’s talent does hurt, but Lovett himself may have been a cancer that brought everyone down.

Just observing Lovett, I’m not sure he would’ve made it under this staff. Not sure their style is his style.

Perhaps he’ll mature

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2020, 08:14 PM

If Arnett is really good, then our defense will be competitive this year. We’ve got an awful lot of 4 stars over there. The Jimmy’s and Joes aren’t that bad

Homedawg
09-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Not having Lovett?s talent does hurt, but Lovett himself may have been a cancer that brought everyone down.

Just observing Lovett, I?m not sure he would?ve made it under this staff. Not sure their style is his style.

Perhaps he?ll mature

Maybe... but most kids, and I say most, thrive the more they are pushed. He wasn't a cancer last year. He just got led the wrong way by someone. Maybe he wouldn't have made it. But had he stayed, I doubt he would have quit and would have instead flourished. But that Ship has sailed

Homedawg
09-05-2020, 08:31 PM
If Arnett is really good, then our defense will be competitive this year. We’ve got an awful lot of 4 stars over there. The Jimmy’s and Joes aren’t that bad

I'm not going to argue w you it would be a waste of time. But I'll leave this, . our second best cb isn't 160 lbs. and he's gaine more than 10 since he got here. We have zero depth at any position. But let Arnett have it when I'm right. I tried telling everyone last year our d was not going to be good. I was told but rivers, Cole and so and so were Nfl players ( they never were close) we lost them, gay, Autry, Lovett, dantzler and Jones off of a bad defense. But ok we will be fine.

Percho
09-05-2020, 08:34 PM

He should have seen that. He wanted to be big somewhere else.

I still believe you are better off with ones that want to be here.

msu15
09-05-2020, 08:40 PM
I'm not going to argue w you it would be a waste of time. But I'll leave this, . our second best cb isn't 160 lbs. and he's gaine more than 10 since he got here. We have zero depth at any position. But let Arnett have it when I'm right. I tried telling everyone last year our d was not going to be good. I was told but rivers, Cole and so and so were Nfl players ( they never were close) we lost them, gay, Autry, Lovett, dantzler and Jones off of a bad defense. But ok we will be fine.
Calm down dude

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2020, 08:43 PM
Calm down dude

The "we gonna be bad on defense" crew is very similar to Coronabros

They don't want to hear other opinions, they don't want to hope, and care more about being right than trying to be optimistic.

It's a disease of arrogance and I'm not saying they're wrong. I just prefer to hope and be optimistic.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2020, 08:43 PM
I just want to clarify my post about schrader. I was not saying he would be the starter or even the 2 just that he was progressing very well under leach and doing well. He's incredibly athletic and does have a very good arm so like I said good problem to have.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2020, 08:49 PM

They don't want to hear other opinions, they don't want to hope, and care more about being right than trying to be optimistic.

It's a disease of arrogance and I'm not saying they're wrong. I just prefer to hope and be optimistic.

Here's the thing though Homedawg is right quite often when it comes to MSU athletics and he's always honest whether it be good or bad. I to am
an optimist but there's nothing wrong with someone bringing their knowledge Of things whether they be good or bad.

HoopsDawg
09-05-2020, 08:49 PM

Don't you want honest opinions?

We are not SEC ready at 1 CB spot and 1 safety spot. We are light on depth across the board.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2020, 08:52 PM
Here's the thing though Homedawg is right quite often when it comes to MSU athletics and he's always honest whether it be good or bad. I to am
an optimist but there's nothing wrong with someone bringing their knowledge Of things whether they be good or bad.

I didn't say he was wrong. Just saying that that group doesn't want an alternative opinions or optimism

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2020, 08:53 PM
Don't you want honest opinions?

We are not SEC ready at 1 CB spot and 1 safety spot. We are light on depth across the board.

I do want honest opinions but you seemed angry that someone would hope.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2020, 08:58 PM
I didn't say he was wrong. Just saying that that group doesn't want an alternative opinions or optimism

Naw Its to prepare everyone not to freak out when we give up some points and yards this year. Also, there's a consensus that we have found a great DC and given enough time to develop depth and get a little more talent on certain spots we'll be back to having a nasty defense.

Heck man I'm just glad we're arguing football again and not all that other stuff!

It's good to have it back!

Irondawg
09-05-2020, 09:09 PM
My thought is that it can’t be much worse than last year when we didn’t have the suspension players playing but the truth is we don’t have a legit SEC starter everywhere and the depth chart is really thin some places.

Hopefully the scheme itself can cause enough confusion to help some bit. Expectations are just going to have to be realistic though for the squad. Given the tempo of our offense and roster issues, holding anyone to under 25 will be impressive and anything under 30 will be dang good

SmokeyDawg
09-05-2020, 09:17 PM
I'm just looking for toughness and effort from the D. We are going to swarm to the ball, that's what you do with defenses with a disadvantage. Timely stops and turnovers will be the biggest stats in our winnable games.

ZedFedder
09-05-2020, 09:20 PM
The effort definitely seemed to be there. We play hard all year like that, and I will be happy.

preachermatt83
09-05-2020, 09:21 PM

This

Homedawg
09-05-2020, 09:29 PM
Calm down dude

What do I need to calm down about??

Homedawg
09-05-2020, 09:31 PM

No here's the problem, you dipshits want info. I bring what I know and hear. Y'all don't like it some I'm wrong or don't know crap. Fine. Start 8000 threads and beg for info from someone else. It's not like I want to be right it's just what I'm hearing from really really good source. But don't worry I won't worry about it. Figure it out for yourselves. Checking out. Enjoy.

studentdawg87
09-05-2020, 09:33 PM

You?re quite possibly the single dumbest m?17er posting on any State message board. You type a lot, but you know nothing.

Cooterpoot
09-05-2020, 09:35 PM
Not having Lovett?s talent does hurt, but Lovett himself may have been a cancer that brought everyone down.

Just observing Lovett, I?m not sure he would?ve made it under this staff. Not sure their style is his style.

Perhaps he?ll mature

Lovett just couldn't shut out the noise. He wasn't a cancer. He's doing well at FSU

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2020, 09:37 PM
Lovett just couldn't shut out the noise. He wasn't a cancer. He's doing well at FSU

For now. We’ll see how long that lasts

Cooterpoot
09-05-2020, 09:39 PM

You need to take your damn Ritalin.

Irondawg
09-05-2020, 09:50 PM
I think Lovett was one of those kids that needed distance away to succeed. I didn’t like “how” he exited much like JJ but by all accounts he worked hard at practice and was doing well before deciding to leave

ZedFedder
09-05-2020, 10:00 PM
Shotgun, I like you, but you are doing a whole lot of assuming.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-05-2020, 11:01 PM

Lovett isn't a problem kid he just didn't want to be at MSU. That's cool doesn't make him a bad kid. He's a future NFL talent & we would be a better team on the field with him. Same with Jarrian.

Bothrops
09-06-2020, 01:52 AM
No here's the problem, you dipshits want info. I bring what I know and hear. Y'all don't like it some I'm wrong or don't know crap. Fine. Start 8000 threads and beg for info from someone else. It's not like I want to be right it's just what I'm hearing from really really good source. But don't worry I won't worry about it. Figure it out for yourselves. Checking out. Enjoy.

4-6 unless our offense becomes some kind of hell diving scoring machine. Our defense is going to suffer. Second and third teams need to be ready.

Todd4State
09-06-2020, 03:18 AM

**** Lovett and his Dad. It's not like he was Warren Sapp.

msbulldog
09-06-2020, 06:00 AM
Lovett was his dad wanting Ole Miss money and Jones was tampering by Ealy, Mingo and TBuck. They both tried to go to Ole Miss before the AD got the word put on him. That's why they ended up at FSU, not because that was their first choice.

RiverCityDawg
09-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Keep it coming, Homedawg. Most here very much appreciate your info and the dose of reality that comes with it.

confucius say
09-06-2020, 08:26 AM
Lovett isn't a problem kid he just didn't want to be at MSU. That's cool doesn't make him a bad kid. He's a future NFL talent & we would be a better team on the field with him. Same with Jarrian.

I think Lovett will be on an nfl roster. I don't think jones will.

Ezsoil
09-06-2020, 08:40 AM

I agree that the D is going to be an issue ....but unlike the last two years when the "offensive savant" was in charge , the defense had to carry the team.. I do believe this offense is going to be prolific and will put pressure on the opponent to keep scoring.......couple that with fact that most teams are having questions at QB, there is a chance that we can mask some issues.

Saltydog
09-06-2020, 10:09 AM
I'll go on record as saying that our D will be one of the worst in the league. It's going to be bad. For the first time in a while, we don't have a dominant d lineman. I like our LB corp but our secondary is bad. No depth and little experience back there.

R2Dawg
09-06-2020, 10:11 AM
I agree that the D is going to be an issue ....but unlike the last two years when the "offensive savant" was in charge , the defense had to carry the team.. I do believe this offense is going to be prolific and will put pressure on the opponent to keep scoring.......couple that with fact that most teams are having questions at QB, there is a chance that we can mask some issues.

I think this is what happens to a degree. So right about last year and how crippled our O was. The D carried the 18 team and the big drop off last year left us trouble with no O. I think D will be better than last year but still with issues.

Coach34
09-06-2020, 10:22 AM
We dont have a legit pass-rusher which means we better be good in the Secondary. Except that we arent very good there at all. Thats a problem.
We are green at LB'er and our best one struggles in pass coverage
Jucos need adjustment time
We dont have a dominant DL player for the 2nd year in a row and we lost arguably our best one to transfer.
Almost no depth

A good DC cant mask all that. They will play hard and thats all we can ask.

msbulldog
09-06-2020, 10:28 AM
The defense is not going to be as bad as ya'll think it's going to be. We have some athletes and a scheme that's going to use that athleticism. Most of ya'll are too young to remember what Joe Lee Dunn did with the blitz. Bookmark this post and make me eat my words. HAIL STATE!

ZedFedder
09-06-2020, 10:30 AM
On the flip side, it seems the wide receivers have made a really big jump. Spurrier and Nichol know what they are doing... Leach wouldn’t have kept them this long if not.

Dawgology
09-06-2020, 10:41 AM
Defense is going to struggle but I’m hoping with Vandy, Ark, Miss, and Ole Miss we can snag 4 or 5 wins. I’m looking at this season as a glorified pre-season for next year. It basically doesn’t count it’s just going to be great watching some SEC football, grilling, and drinking a little something.

KOdawg1
09-06-2020, 10:46 AM

Agree on Lovett. Disagree on Jones.

Coach34
09-06-2020, 11:19 AM
The defense is not going to be as bad as ya'll think it's going to be. We have some athletes and a scheme that's going to use that athleticism. Most of ya'll are too young to remember what Joe Lee Dunn did with the blitz. Bookmark this post and make me eat my words. HAIL STATE!

I remember what happened to Joe Lee after Smoot and Bean graduated too

Ifyouonlyknew
09-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Agree on Lovett. Disagree on Jones.

We have a walkon & Korey Charles battling for a 2 deep spot at CB, we'd definitely be better with Jarrian here.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-06-2020, 11:22 AM
We dont have a legit pass-rusher which means we better be good in the Secondary. Except that we arent very good there at all. Thats a problem.
We dont have a dominant DL player for the 2nd year in a row and we lost arguably our best one to transfer.
Almost no depth

I don't disagree with most in this post. I will say Crumedy will be better than Lovett.

KOdawg1
09-06-2020, 11:22 AM
We have a walkon & Korey Charles battling for a 2 deep spot at CB, we'd definitely be better with Jarrian here.

Oh I agree with that. I was talking about him being an NFL talent.

Homedawg
09-06-2020, 11:42 AM

Hard to explain that to most.

defiantdog
09-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Not trying to be a downer, but maybe the receivers looked so good because the DBs were that bad.

KOdawg1
09-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Hard to explain that to most.

I understand that. I respect your info and posts Homedawg but you don't have to be such an asshole about it.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Not trying to be a downer, but maybe the receivers looked so good because the DBs were that bad.

That would assume that Leach has no idea what he’s looking at.

Homedawg
09-06-2020, 12:15 PM
I understand that. I respect your info and posts Homedawg but you don't have to be such an asshole about it.

I was just conferring w iyok. Sorry if you took it that way. Wasn't intended to you or meant that way. Usually one can tell when I'm trying to be an ass.

confucius say
09-06-2020, 12:37 PM

From a getting open standpoint and winning jump balls, you could be right. But just from the basics of catching the ball when open (which is a big improvement from all the drops), the dBs being bad wouldn't impact that.

KOdawg1
09-06-2020, 12:44 PM
I was just conferring w iyok. Sorry if you took it that way. Wasn't intended to you or meant that way. Usually one can tell when I'm trying to be an ass.
Gotcha. My bad.

maroonmania
09-06-2020, 12:59 PM
Naw Its to prepare everyone not to freak out when we give up some points and yards this year. Also, there's a consensus that we have found a great DC and given enough time to develop depth and get a little more talent on certain spots we'll be back to having a nasty defense.

Heck man I'm just glad we're arguing football again and not all that other stuff!

It's good to have it back!

If we've truly found a great DC then we should be at least an average defense with the personnel we have. An average DC can put a really good defense on the field when stocked at every position. When JLD got here he made a big difference taking over for Bill Clay. And Grantham was a huge difference when taking over for Peter Sirmon. If Arnett knows what he is doing then I think we have enough talent to be a middling SEC defense.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-06-2020, 01:00 PM

The WR are clearly better & also the CB are young & inexperienced. Emerson is SEC ready. Forbes & Richardson have very high ceilings but are going to get baptized in fire this year. Furdge can be a 2 deep guy & he's improved but it is worrisome that he's in line to start the season. The secondary will make some plays this year but also give up a good many. Our WR's are going to be a surprise to the fanbase IMO.

Commercecomet24
09-06-2020, 01:19 PM
If we've truly found a great DC then we should be at least an average defense with the personnel we have. An average DC can put a really good defense on the field when stocked at every position. When JLD got here he made a big difference taking over for Bill Clay. And Grantham was a huge difference when taking over for Peter Sirmon. If Arnett knows what he is doing then I think we have enough talent to be a middling SEC defense.

It's my hope as well that we have a middle of the road defense this year. I imagine we will have some flashes and we will play with effort(which has been lacking) but we're going to give up yards and points this year at times in bunches and that's not negative just the way it's gonna be this year. We don't have any pass rushers on the dl which means we will have to blitz which will leave our inexperienced and thin secondary on an island which will
mean giving up some big plays. I have lot of hope for the future though.

Percho
09-06-2020, 01:28 PM

Would you agree that if people are unhappy where they are, that unhappiness will be manifested, usually in a negative manner?

No doubt they are excellent players but would that excellence out weigh the manifestation of being unhappy?

IYHO?

HailStateSZN19
09-06-2020, 01:41 PM
Almost no depth

Just to be clear, you?re saying Lovett is better than Pickering and Crumedy both?.....

HailStateSZN19
09-06-2020, 01:44 PM
The WR are clearly better & also the CB are young & inexperienced. Emerson is SEC ready. Forbes & Richardson have very high ceilings but are going to get baptized in fire this year. Furdge can be a 2 deep guy & he's improved but it is worrisome that he's in line to start the season. The secondary will make some plays this year but also give up a good many. Our WR's are going to be a surprise to the fanbase IMO.

Who are the 8 guys you think will get the most PT at WR?

And who have you heard good things about not named Mitchell or Payton?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Would you agree that if people are unhappy where they are, that unhappiness will be manifested, usually in a negative manner?

No doubt they are excellent players but would that excellence out weigh the manifestation of being unhappy?

IYHO?

I think could I don't think it's a foregone conclusion it would have. I think once they got on the field they would've produced.

BB30
09-06-2020, 02:16 PM
Shotgun, He's telling you that so you don't go postal the second game in when our D struggles like you typically do and start spouting the D coordinator sucks etc. etc.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-06-2020, 02:18 PM

Heath Mitchell Williams Payton Tulu Shavers Spivey Cumbest & Jones.

Heath Tulu & Austin have all been consistent playmakers.

Commercecomet24
09-06-2020, 02:20 PM
Shotgun, He's telling you that so you don't go postal the second game in when our D struggles like you typically do and start spouting the D coordinator sucks etc. etc.

BB gets it.

Commercecomet24
09-06-2020, 02:26 PM

Tell us what you have heard about Schrader this fall. Always appreciate your info.

BeardoMSU
09-06-2020, 02:34 PM
BB gets it.

The in-game meltdown is still one of life's inevitables.

preachermatt83
09-06-2020, 02:37 PM

Grantham took over for manny part 2

William Tecumsah Sherman
09-06-2020, 02:58 PM
I appreciate any and all practice reports. I was skeptical we would even play football this season, so I?m just happy that the dawgs will be taking the field. Wins are icing on the cake!

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-06-2020, 03:11 PM
Grantham took over for manny part 2

Sirmon was here in '16, grantham '17, Shoop '18 and '19

Commercecomet24
09-06-2020, 03:24 PM
The in-game meltdown is still one of life's inevitables.

I know and it's generally fun to read em!

BeardoMSU
09-06-2020, 03:46 PM
Sirmon was here in '16, grantham '17, Shoop '18 and '19

Yes. One would think the MSU-Louisville-Trade-Rape of 2017 would be a more memorable moment, lol.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-06-2020, 03:47 PM
Tell us what you have heard about Schrader this fall. Always appreciate your info.

He's had a solid camp. He's really tightened up his throwing motion & is doing better. People are mistaking the fact that Will May be slightly ahead of him that he's done at MSU at QB. I think that's way premature & it's going to be a great battle next Spring. I think the biggest thing is that guys just gravitate to Will. He has a magnetic personality.

Commercecomet24
09-06-2020, 03:52 PM
He's had a solid camp. He's really tightened up his throwing motion & is doing better. People are mistaking the fact that Will May be slightly ahead of him that he's done at MSU at QB. I think that's way premature & it's going to be a great battle next Spring. I think the biggest thing is that guys just gravitate to Will. He has a magnetic personality.

Thank you, that confirms what I've been hearing. Appreciate it.

HoopsDawg
09-06-2020, 03:59 PM

Might need to roll with just 6 guys at WR this year.

Coach34
09-06-2020, 04:21 PM
Just to be clear, you?re saying Lovett is better than Pickering and Crumedy both?.....

I said “arguably”. Crumedy and Pickering have chances to be pretty good players. But neither is dominant and after having a 10 year run of dominant guys on the DL- that hurts us.

RiverCityDawg
09-06-2020, 04:24 PM

So why were they moving Jarrian to safety? Or would it be different now that Williams quit? In my opinion Jarrian has hips like a safety not a corner, though he doesn't seem eager to tackle like you would want with a safety. I suppose he could still be below average at both of those spots AND be one of our better options this year.

I think I would rather just take lumps with Forbes and Richardson who want to be here... But ask me again on 9/26 at about 3:00.

TrapGame
09-06-2020, 04:29 PM
I appreciate any and all practice reports. I was skeptical we would even play football this season, so I?m just happy that the dawgs will be taking the field. Wins are icing on the cake!

Yeah, me too. I want us to look in shape and conditioned. I think our offense may surprise some folks but the defense will be hit and miss. If we win 4 or 5 games I'll be tickled pink.

BeardoMSU
09-06-2020, 04:31 PM
I said “arguably”. Crumedy and Pickering have chances to be pretty good players. But neither is dominant and after having a 10 year run of dominant guys on the DL- that hurts us.

You mentioned what you've heard about the D. Got anything on the offense? How are QB/WR doing? O-line? scheme? etc...

maroonmania
09-06-2020, 04:47 PM

I play college fantasy and REALLY want to grab at least one of our WRs given the offense we are going to run. But I can't decide who to take. Mitchell seems to be the obvious choice from past performance but who do you see being our most productive WR this year based on practice reports?

Ifyouonlyknew
09-06-2020, 04:47 PM
So why were they moving Jarrian to safety? Or would it be different now that Williams quit? In my opinion Jarrian has hips like a safety not a corner, though he doesn't seem eager to tackle like you would want with a safety. I suppose he could still be below average at both of those spots AND be one of our better options this year.

I think I would rather just take lumps with Forbes and Richardson who want to be here... But ask me again on 9/26 at about 3:00.

Well at the time you had 2 solid CB's in Emerson & Williams. Also they were trying to get the 5 best DB's on the field & that was Emerson Williams Peters Murphy & Jarrian.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-06-2020, 04:49 PM
I play college fantasy and REALLY want to grab at least one of our WRs given the offense we are going to run. But I can't decide who to take. Mitchell seems to be the obvious choice from past performance but who do you see being our most productive WR this year based on practice reports?

I think Osirus is the obvious pick.

bulldawg28
09-06-2020, 05:45 PM

Fred Smoot weighed 165 lbs and was an All American.

Homedawg
09-06-2020, 07:01 PM

Feed smoot was golaith compared to Forbes. And no he didn't weigh 165. But he could get in your jock and hang on too.

Cowbell
09-06-2020, 08:32 PM
For those bringing insight to this thread, thank you. I'm sincerely thankful for your takes, whether others agree or not. I'm also thankful our players are headed in the right direction as a cohesive unit and that we are even getting to have these discussions.

Coach34
09-06-2020, 09:06 PM

lol- Fred Smoot didnt weigh 165 when he was at Miss State

Coach34
09-06-2020, 09:09 PM
You mentioned what you've heard about the D. Got anything on the offense? How are QB/WR doing? O-line? scheme? etc...

OL is looking good. WR's are indeed getting better. Offense has a chance to be solid. Shrader supposedly is almost assuredly going to be the 3rd guy due to inaccuracy if "sources" are to be believed

Todd4State
09-06-2020, 10:19 PM

I think Jones is the bigger loss because our depth at safety is worse than it is on the DL. Either way both Jones and Lovett and Lovett's Dad didn't want to be here so I still think in the long run we're better off without them.

Todd4State
09-06-2020, 10:20 PM

Cam Dantzler may be a better example.

Todd4State
09-06-2020, 10:21 PM

If Rogers does indeed have intangibles like that it's going to be hard for Shrader to beat him out.

bulldawg28
09-07-2020, 01:09 AM
Cam Dantzler may be a better example.

If you're talking value based on weight it doesn't matter. Smoot was lighter than Dantzler and shorter.

Todd4State
09-07-2020, 01:14 AM
If you're talking value based on weight it doesn't matter. Smoot was lighter than Dantzler and shorter.

I don't really think there is value in weight- at least not at CB. My point was I was agreeing with you that you can play CB at 165 and be good. I had a class with Smoot and we were essentially the same size- height and weight wise and I weighed 180 then.

The biggest thing with CB to me is their ball skills. Can you cover the guy? Or do you get burned.

Cooterpoot
09-07-2020, 12:38 PM

Jones is their starting CB and Lovett is 2nd at nose. Both will be playing a shit ton.

Cooterpoot
09-07-2020, 12:42 PM

This isn't the same SEC Joe Lee coached in. The defense will not be good. They'll have their moments here and there, but this year will be a struggle. We've also got to recruit better on that side.

maroonmania
09-07-2020, 04:40 PM
I said ?arguably?. Crumedy and Pickering have chances to be pretty good players. But neither is dominant and after having a 10 year run of dominant guys on the DL- that hurts us.

Not sure any of the 3 are real SEC difference makers but Pickering is the one that came in with all the hype. Will be disappointed if he doesn't become a big factor on our DL at some point, hopefully this year. Would certainly have liked to have kept Lovett but he just seemed to be a big body in there and was always disgruntled even going back to his recruiting process. I didn't see him ever being anything more on our DL than 'solid' which was fine.

32 Dive
09-07-2020, 05:52 PM
Smoot`s JAWS were 165. He worked them out, constantly.

Jarius
09-07-2020, 07:37 PM
Jones is their starting CB and Lovett is 2nd at nose. Both will be playing a shit ton.

Florida State had the 88th ranked defense in the country last year (worse than us) and has had a lot of defensive injuries in camp. They would be playing for us if they were here but Jones isn’t worth a shit, which probably says a lot about what we can expect in our secondary.

bulldawg28
09-07-2020, 07:41 PM
Smoot`s JAWS were 165. He worked them out, constantly.

Ha

bulldawg28
09-07-2020, 07:42 PM
I don't really think there is value in weight- at least not at CB. My point was I was agreeing with you that you can play CB at 165 and be good. I had a class with Smoot and we were essentially the same size- height and weight wise and I weighed 180 then.

The biggest thing with CB to me is their ball skills. Can you cover the guy? Or do you get burned.

I played with Smoot and he was tiny in the 175 range.

Todd4State
09-07-2020, 08:29 PM

I hear you. And I like I said I was 180. I wouldn't consider him tiny for a CB by any stretch of the imagination. Especially for a CB in the 90's.

msu15
09-07-2020, 08:36 PM

Once it was revealed that Lovett was the one that had a problem with the workouts and wanted to talk to a coach about it I was done with him. We can't win big at MSU with guys like that. We already have too many hurdles to overcome to have to worry about a guy's heart.

bulldawg28
09-08-2020, 06:00 AM
I hear you. And I like I said I was 180. I wouldn't consider him tiny for a CB by any stretch of the imagination. Especially for a CB in the 90's.

Dude you act like we're talking in the 50's. A 175 pound cb in the 90's was small. He could only bench 225 1 time for the scouts. That's why he struggled with big WR'S. I think you're trying to equate yourself with him. If so you would have been a small player too bro. It is what it is.

RiverCityDawg
09-08-2020, 06:36 AM

Yep. Smoot weighed in at 172 at the NFL combine.

bulldawg28
09-08-2020, 06:55 AM

soaken wet...lol

confucius say
09-08-2020, 07:06 AM

Yep.
And his 1 rep of 225 was the worst in combine history. He could cover though.

FISHDAWG
09-08-2020, 07:45 AM
I see some impatience and higher expectations ... Don't forget that after the first year under JoMo we ALL KNEW we were in for several mediocre years until a competent HC would come along ... and that HC was going to need a few more years as well. I enjoy optimism but it's not like we weren't all expecting this

StateDawg44
09-08-2020, 07:49 AM

I've heard this during the preseason the past two years. Then almost nothing from Williams during the season.

Not hating on him or anything. I hope it carries over into the actual season. I would love to see him play a major role for us. We need someone like him to step up and blow up this year.

I'm also not attacking your info. I believe he is a playmaker in practice. Just yet to see it in a game.

preachermatt83
09-08-2020, 08:14 AM
I see some impatience and higher expectations ... Don't forget that after the first year under JoMo we ALL KNEW we were in for several mediocre years until a competent HC would come along ... and that HC was going to need a few more years as well. I enjoy optimism but it's not like we weren't all expecting this

THIS ALL DAY!

Johnson85
09-08-2020, 08:26 AM
I've heard this during the preseason the past two years. Then almost nothing from Williams during the season.

Not hating on him or anything. I hope it carries over into the actual season. I would love to see him play a major role for us. We need someone like him to step up and blow up this year.

I'm also not attacking your info. I believe he is a playmaker in practice. Just yet to see it in a game.

He's not athletic enough to get open consistently against SEC defenses. Or at least, not in Moorhead's offense. Leach's offense should be the exact opposite and make it easier for him, so maybe it'll be a different story this year.

StateDawg44
09-08-2020, 08:28 AM

What site do you use?

RiverCityDawg
09-08-2020, 08:35 AM
He's not athletic enough to get open consistently against SEC defenses. Or at least, not in Moorhead's offense. Leach's offense should be the exact opposite and make it easier for him, so maybe it'll be a different story this year.

Apparently no one was athletic enough to get open in Moorhead's offense. And if by chance they did get open the ball wasn't thrown to them. And if the stars aligned and they were open and the ball was thrown to them they were often so surprised that they usually weren't ready to catch it. All things that will be different this year based on scheme, practice, QB play and just the general philosophy of the offense.

Dawgology
09-08-2020, 08:38 AM
Apparently no one was athletic enough to get open in Moorhead's offense. And if by chance they did get open the ball wasn't thrown to them. And if the stars aligned and they were open and the ball was thrown to them they were often so surprised that they usually weren't ready to catch it. All things that will be different this year based on scheme, practice, QB play and just the general philosophy of the offense.

This and they had to be doing advanced physics to figure out their route while they were running said route.

StateDawg44
09-08-2020, 08:45 AM

Yeah after I posted that I started wondering how much of a crutch Moorhead's offense was for everyone.

tcdog70
09-08-2020, 10:25 AM
I remember what happened to Joe Lee after Smoot and Bean graduated too

OUR OFFENSE SUXED AND MADE THE DEFENSE STAY ON THE FIELD TOO LONG. MOST OF THE TIME DEFENDING A SHORT FIELD. A GOOD OFFENSE WILL HELP A GAMBLING DEFENSE. A BEND BUT DON'T BREAK D--NOT GOOD FOR A ML TEAM.

TrapGame
09-08-2020, 10:42 AM
OUR OFFENSE SUXED AND MADE THE DEFENSE STAY ON THE FIELD TOO LONG. MOST OF THE TIME DEFENDING A SHORT FIELD. A GOOD OFFENSE WILL HELP A GAMBLING DEFENSE. A BEND BUT DON'T BREAK D--NOT GOOD FOR A ML TEAM.

It also really didn't help when the OCs figured out Joe Lee's secret: He left the TE uncovered.

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2020, 10:53 AM
It also really didn't help when the OCs figured out Joe Lee's secret: He left the TE uncovered.

Ah yes, how could I forget? Seems like 2-3 time a game someone near me would drunkenly yell "Why is the GD Tight End always open!!?!?!?!"

ETA: My sources are now telling me that that was me drunkenly yelling, not random fans around me.

Jack Lambert
09-08-2020, 10:59 AM
Ah yes, how could I forget? Seems like 2-3 time a game someone near me would drunkenly yell "Why is the GD Tight End always open!!?!?!?!"

ETA: My sources are now telling me that that was me drunkenly yelling, not random fans around me.

Funny because I have told several to shut up when they continue to use that language. Everyone slips up but to do it continuing is uncalled for. It is a family event.

TrapGame
09-08-2020, 11:15 AM

I forget which team it was (Florida, IIRC) but in 2001 we made their TE look like an All American that day. It was sickening. Spurrier made Joe Lee cover that TE. Then Rex Grossman went to town on our ass through the air.

StarkVegasSteve
09-08-2020, 11:17 AM
Funny because I have told several to shut up when they continue to use that language. Everyone slips up but to do it continuing is uncalled for. It is a family event.

This has always been interesting to me because I have slipped up and done it before, but usually I'll apologize if I'm not around people I know, especially if there's young children around. However, I've seen people who will be repeatedly told to tone it down and it's like it's a trigger for them to turn it up another notch.

Mjoelner34
09-08-2020, 11:36 AM

Or when LSU figured out that he would keep playing LB's 8yds off the ball when they went to a power I and erased a 14 point deficit in the 4th quarter without throwing a pass.

thf24
09-08-2020, 11:54 AM
From what I've heard so far, I'd like to think there's a lot more structure and nuance to Arnett's scheme than Joe Lee's. Or, some semblance of structure and nuance at all.

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2020, 12:51 PM

It's amazing how your perspective changes as a fan when you go from drunken student, to drunken young alum, to sober Dad with his kids in the stands.....

Jack Lambert
09-08-2020, 12:57 PM
It's amazing how your perspective changes as a fan when you go from drunken student, to drunken young alum, to sober Dad with his kids in the stands.....

No joke.

Jack Lambert
09-08-2020, 12:58 PM
This has always been interesting to me because I have slipped up and done it before, but usually I'll apologize if I'm not around people I know, especially if there's young children around. However, I've seen people who will be repeatedly told to tone it down and it's like it's a trigger for them to turn it up another notch.

I am really a nice guy to everyone, I make friends easy. However I am a big guy and have a very mean look on my face. They usually shut up when I ask.

Jarius
09-08-2020, 01:34 PM

Acting a complete drunken ass at football games are some of the more embarrassing memories I wish I could take back from my 20s. Now I just stick to being an ass on the internet.

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Acting a complete ass at football games are some of the more embarrassing memories I wish I could take back from my 20s.

I wasn't bad at football. Basketball was another story, I was an awful basketball fan. Former Brave Bruce Benedict was a particular target of my vitriol. He was a terrible high school ref back in the late 80's/early 90's before he became a terrible college ref. We once threw baseball cards at him when he made a particularly bad call. He was not amused.

SheltonChoked
09-08-2020, 02:05 PM
I wasn't bad at football. Basketball was another story, I was an awful basketball fan. Former Brave Bruce Benedict was a particular target of my vitriol. He was a terrible high school ref back in the late 80's/early 90's before he became a terrible college ref. We once threw baseball cards at him when he made a particularly bad call. He was not amused.

You were surrounded with bad company, it was not your fault. I blame those other degenerates.

Johnson85
09-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Acting a complete drunken ass at football games are some of the more embarrassing memories I wish I could take back from my 20s. Now I just stick to being an ass on the internet.

As far as I remember, I never cursed loudly or was disruptive. Of course I was more or less blackout drunk through the Croom years, so maybe I just don't remember.

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2020, 02:15 PM
You were surrounded with bad company, it was not your fault. I blame those other degenerates.

Those guys were nuts!

Cooterpoot
09-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Once it was revealed that Lovett was the one that had a problem with the workouts and wanted to talk to a coach about it I was done with him. We can't win big at MSU with guys like that. We already have too many hurdles to overcome to have to worry about a guy's heart.

Well, the workout angle was just an excuse. It was never factual. He couldn't quiet the noise coming from pops and others. Decided he wanted out.

Percho
09-08-2020, 02:27 PM
I am really a nice guy to everyone, I make friends easy. However I am a big guy and have a very mean look on my face. They usually shut up when I ask.

You must look like , well err, Jack Lambert!

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2020, 02:28 PM
As far as I remember, I never cursed loudly or was disruptive. Of course I was more or less blackout drunk through the Croom years, so maybe I just don't remember.

Any bad acts of fandom during the Croom Error are automatically stricken from your permanent record. No one could live through that stench and maintain decorum.

StarkVegasSteve
09-08-2020, 03:03 PM
Any bad acts of fandom during the Croom Error are automatically stricken from your permanent record. No one could live through that stench and maintain decorum.

This is correct. Although, I don't think there was enough alcohol in the state of Mississippi to make you forget how bad those years were.

Jarius
09-08-2020, 03:30 PM

The 2008 game against Auburn I acted a fool. Hopefully I have been forgiven for the circumstances of the outburst. By the end of that game I had a pile of whiskey bottles stacked up by my feet.

SheltonChoked
09-08-2020, 03:43 PM
Those guys were nuts!

I think a couple almost got arrested and had to see the dean. Jackasses.

BeardoMSU
09-08-2020, 03:55 PM

Hear, hear, lol.

MrCoachKlein
09-08-2020, 04:18 PM

I appreciate the info and can live in the real world and still remain optimistic. I'm sure a lot of others appreciate it too.

MrCoachKlein
09-08-2020, 04:23 PM

Aside from being 3-3-5 in name, this defensive scheme is apples and oranges to JLD's. JLD ran 2 'dog' safeties and more single high stuff. Arnett's is more of a quarters coverage concept with 1 'dog' safety.

RiverCityDawg
09-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Aside from being 3-3-5 in name, this defensive scheme is apples and oranges to JLD's. JLD ran 2 'dog' safeties and more single high stuff. Arnett's is more of a quarters coverage concept with 1 'dog' safety.

This is a good point that a lot of people forget. The 99 team basically ran a 5-1-5, with 2 of those back 5 being DOG safeties near the LOS. We routinely had 8 guys in the box, but the offenses in those days were so different than they are now that it worked. I just don't think this defense is going to look anything like those JLD defenses other than hopefully a heavy dose of blitzing as I think we'll need it to create pressure.