PDA

View Full Version : Air raid and dual threat QB's

drummerdawg
09-03-2020, 11:04 PM
Has Leach ever had a dual threat QB in his air raid system? And what do you think that would look like? I've been watching videos to get a glimpse of what to expect with Leach's offense and one thing I've noticed is that most times after the ball is snapped, no matter how much time the QB has, he almost always throws the ball even if the receiver isn't open. The QB rarely ever takes off running. There were several times in each game where the QB would break a tackle or have time to pass with nobody open but wouldn't take the yards with his legs. Is there a reason for that? Several plays that I saw where the QB could pick up 6 or 7+ yards easily. It seems like if he had a QB who was a threat to run, it would make it extremely difficult for defenses. I know he knows his system better than any and knows way more than I do, just wondering if anybody else noticed this, or if there is a reason they do this, or if I just haven't watched the right videos?

Jarius
09-03-2020, 11:06 PM
Mahomes would be the best example of what a good one would look like, but Leach’s most mobile qb was Minshew. He values accuracy and decision making over all else.

maroonmania
09-03-2020, 11:27 PM
Mahomes would be the best example of what a good one would look like, but Leach’s most mobile qb was Minshew. He values accuracy and decision making over all else.
I think he also highly values trying to keep his starting QB healthy. Another reason he isn't keen on having his QB take off and run.

Todd4State
09-04-2020, 01:32 AM
It's just philosophy based. If you have a guy like Dak who can run, knows he can run and makes plays with his legs, and etc. most coaches aren't going to be too upset if they scramble and make some plays that way. Of course the QB run was pretty much the staple of Dan's offense.

I think with Leach more often than not he wants five guys out in pass routes and typically someone is open so he's going to try to find QB's that are accurate and can make a good decision and value that more than mobility which is more of a luxury in Leach's system.

For a mobile QB in the Air Raid- see Johnny Manziel. I don't know how many designed QB runs that had for him though. More often than not it seemed like most of his runs were scrambles.

Todd4State
09-04-2020, 01:33 AM
I think he also highly values trying to keep his starting QB healthy. Another reason he isn't keen on having his QB take off and run.

That did seem to be an issue fairly often with Dan. Maybe not always knocked out to where they couldn't play but definitely banged up going back to Relf.

thf24
09-04-2020, 08:30 AM
I don't think Leach has ever been in a position to recruit a truly "dual threat" QB, as in one who is a polished and talented enough passer for his system while also being a consistent running threat against good defenses. That caliber player would almost surely be a very high 5-star, the kind there are only a few of at the very most in any given year.

AmiteDog
09-04-2020, 08:43 AM
That did seem to be an issue fairly often with Dan. Maybe not always knocked out to where they couldn't play but definitely banged up going back to Relf.

With the exception of Dan?s first season with Tyson Lee, Relf?s senior year and Tyler Russell?s year as a starter, the starting QB was either the leading rusher or 2nd leading rusher on the team with anywhere from 160 to 210 carries. Dak was hobbled some late in season and Fitz had that broken ankle but the fact that neither missed many games more than they did is pretty miraculous.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2020, 09:02 AM
I don't think Leach has ever been in a position to recruit a truly "dual threat" QB, as in one who is a polished and talented enough passer for his system while also being a consistent running threat against good defenses. That caliber player would almost surely be a very high 5-star, the kind there are only a few of at the very most in any given year.

This is the correct answer.

Leach’s priority order for a QB is likely similar to this.

1. Accuracy
2. Intelligence
3. Arm strength
4. Athleticism

So basically, because he prioritizes everything else over athleticism/running ability, he’d have a recruit a boarderline generational talent to get an actual duel threat without having to compromise on the things he values more.

Perhaps he could recruit that guy in 5 years so at MSU. Robertson is decently close. He’s not slow at all