PDA

View Full Version : South Alabama at USM game thread.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 09:36 PM
I missed the entire first half. Looks like the buzzard kicked a fg with 10 seconds left in the half. 13-10 game, SBama

Commercecomet24
09-03-2020, 09:40 PM
Neither team is very good. If it weren't for USA throwing 2 ints Usm wouldn't even be in this game.

Maroonthirteen
09-03-2020, 09:46 PM
Yeah the way this game started out ..... it could easily be 28-0. Two huge turnovers by USA.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 09:51 PM
Also note: the espn app now lets you go 4 screens wide streaming 4 different games at the same time. It works seamlessly too.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2020, 09:55 PM
Is it just me or do both these teams look painfully slow?

Lord McBuckethead
Also, how is it that espn has an ncaa game being played UAB and Central Ark, yet they are not showing it live on their channel.

Lord McBuckethead
yes. Very slow. Did Moorehead transfer to both of those teams?

Todd4State
09-03-2020, 10:00 PM
Neither team is very good. If it weren't for USA throwing 2 ints Usm wouldn't even be in this game.

And I'm watching every play like it's the Super Bowl because football is back and the Coronabros are crying!

Todd4State
09-03-2020, 10:00 PM
yes. Very slow. Did Moorehead transfer to both of those teams?

Probably the gap in conditioning because of COVID.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 10:02 PM
Yeah the speed is more likely due to not really training for 6+ months.
Dude on the halftime show just referred to us as Cowbell County. Kind of liked it.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 10:02 PM
Probably the gap in conditioning because of COVID.

Why did it hit us 2 years early then?

Cooterpoot
09-03-2020, 10:03 PM
Think about this- USM has been left behind by a UAB team that eliminated its program and by a Tulane team that almost did. USM should move to D2.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2020, 10:04 PM
Why did it hit us 2 years early then?

Jomo was a man ahead of his time, lol!!!!

Commercecomet24
09-03-2020, 10:05 PM
And I'm watching every play like it's the Super Bowl because football is back and the Coronabros are crying!

This!!!

Commercecomet24
09-03-2020, 10:17 PM
So good to be talking football again. Thanks for starting the thread Lord McB.

TimberBeast
09-03-2020, 10:22 PM
That?s the second time Southern Miss has been completely screwed in this game though too.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 10:23 PM
Alright, that was either a lateral or that was intentional grounding.

Bothrops
09-03-2020, 10:24 PM
USM is physically way overmatched and outsized. They simply cannot block anybody.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 10:24 PM
It didn't make it to the line of scrimage nor was there an eligible receiver withing 15 yards.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 10:25 PM
They cannot tackle either. Jags gained 30 yards on two 3 yard plays on that drive.

Todd4State
09-03-2020, 10:34 PM
If South Alabama scores a touchdown on this drive it's probably ova.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 10:38 PM
Abraham doesn't have "it"

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 10:39 PM
Did USM even have to establish a stadium occupant max count?

Commercecomet24
09-03-2020, 10:44 PM
Did USM even have to establish a stadium occupant max count?

Looks like a normal crowd for them. Heck I think there might even be a few more than normal!

Commercecomet24
09-03-2020, 10:46 PM
Usa wrs are winning a bus load of 50/50 balls. Of course these would be tds if their qb wouldn't underthrow ever ball.

TimberBeast
09-03-2020, 10:46 PM
Definitely wish we could have a warm up game with Southern Miss this year before we get to the SEC.

Cooterpoot
09-03-2020, 10:48 PM
Jay Hopson is a terrible coach. #8 is winning this game by himself.

Jarius
09-03-2020, 10:51 PM
USM needs to throw the ball every play. They are getting destroyed up front but their receivers are pretty good. Wasting plays on handoffs up the gut are killing them.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 10:57 PM
Southern Miss returner just hit after his 4th step out of bounds. No flag.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 10:59 PM
USM needs to throw the ball every play. They are getting destroyed up front but their receivers are pretty good. Wasting plays on handoffs up the guy are killing them.

They have to be averaging less than 2 yards a rush. Have to be.

CJDAWG85
09-03-2020, 11:00 PM
USM is flat out getting bullied in this one. They are really soft.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:01 PM
They are just not blocking the edge setter whatsoever. I have seen the outside LB make 6 straight tackles on running plays. Shit man, pull a gaurd.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2020, 11:04 PM
They have to be averaging less than 2 yards a rush. Have to be.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:05 PM
Half yard on that run. Good call.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:06 PM
USM, wow. Can't run. Can't execute a screen. They need to keep looking down field.
Damn, they missed the fg.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:08 PM
God, I am so glad we are having a damn American Football conversation with live damn football.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2020, 11:09 PM
God, I am so glad we are having a damn American Football conversation with live damn football.

Amen!

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:10 PM
Bout time for usm to jump a route here.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:11 PM
12 yard cushion on that 30 yard cross field throw. Good coverage there USM.

CJDAWG85
09-03-2020, 11:12 PM
Pretty sure someone in the stands yelled “Pee wee football!” on the fair catch

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:12 PM
Trotter just took a helmet to his ass cheek

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:15 PM
I am so glad our season is starting 23 days from now. 1st, we may get past these 95 degree games. 2nd, we get 3 more weeks of conditioning. 3rd, it could push the season later into Dec which leads to colder games. Love it.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:16 PM
Ballgame. Nice tackle by #18 Brooks there. I think he actually helped him stay 8n bounds, not that he needed it.

Bothrops
09-03-2020, 11:22 PM
Jay Hopson is a terrible coach. #8 is winning this game by himself.

He's not a terrible coach they just can't get any linemen on either side to come there. South Alabama is one of the worst things to ever happen to Southern Miss football.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:25 PM
Why take the ball out of the qbs hand.

Jarius
09-03-2020, 11:26 PM
The tailback at South is pretty dang good for that league.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2020, 11:35 PM
Yep. He has lowered the shoulder on most runs. Matter of fact I think he lowered the shoulder on the nose guard and knocked him out of the game.

Cooterpoot
09-03-2020, 11:48 PM
He's not a terrible coach they just can't get any linemen on either side to come there. South Alabama is one of the worst things to ever happen to Southern Miss football.

He's a horrible coach. He can't recruit or coach. Will Hall would win there. Or dare I say, Hugh Freeze goes home?

Bothrops
09-04-2020, 01:02 AM
He's a horrible coach. He can't recruit or coach. Will Hall would win there. Or dare I say, Hugh Freeze goes home?

He's not P5 material, but he's won 6 or more every year at USM and been to 3 bowls in 4 years. Few coaches in D1 could recruit at USM today.

Todd4State
09-04-2020, 01:14 AM

Hall I could see. Freeze? Not with his reputation.

And I'll add this about Freeze- Liberty is going to be a better program than USM in a year or two. For Freeze going to USM would be a lateral move. If I'm Freeze I keep trying to build the Southern Baptist Notre Dame for however long he's there. If he plays his cards right he might be able to buy away some 4-5 stars in about 8 years and it will at least be more believable than the last time he did it landing a top five class coming off of a Birmingham Bowl bid.

Todd4State
09-04-2020, 01:23 AM
He's not P5 material, but he's won 6 or more every year at USM and been to 3 bowls in 4 years. Few coaches in D1 could recruit at USM today.

Yeah. USM looks like they are about to be on a downswing to me. It's not like South Alabama is a program that was close to turning the corner and they took a step forward. South Alabama did take a step forward by beating USM but both programs look like they are headed in opposite directions. Back in the 80's USM's recruiting territory was very vast and there were a lot of diamonds in the rough that they could find. Now every kid from every small 1A/2A high school in Mississippi has a HUDL video and there are tons of South Alabama's in USM's old footprint. I'd say USM's footprint right now is basically south Mississippi. And right now they're losing a lot of south Mississippi recruits to Hall at Tulane like Ty Keyes and Campbell has been cleaning up the Gulf Coast in Mississippi. Most of the north Mississippi guys are trying to go to Memphis.

Because of their footprint and the conference they are in they're going to have to kick the tires on a Will Hall or some P5 coordinator. Todd Monken is probably the best that they could ever realistically do. And a guy like him is not going to coach there for long. Which is exactly what happened.

I think they're kind of stuck with Hopson at least until he runs the program into the ground because he has been riding the coattails of Monken for a few years.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2020, 06:27 AM

Look at CUSA. There's no reason UAB should be better. MS was loaded with G5 talent this year and USM got none of it. He can't recruit a damn lick. So, a team that folded and started back up, has passed them. Do you realize how bad that is. I can only name one coach at USM who was worse- Ellis Johnson. 6 wins in CUSA isnt good. How many conference championships has USM been to under him?
They were horrible in every phase last night. USA had lost 15 straight road games. USM fans never wanted Hopson and they want him gone. His buyout is one year's salary $500K. They should fire him.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2020, 06:32 AM

And I'll add this about Freeze- Liberty is going to be a better program than USM in a year or two. For Freeze going to USM would be a lateral move. If I'm Freeze I keep trying to build the Southern Baptist Notre Dame for however long he's there. If he plays his cards right he might be able to buy away some 4-5 stars in about 8 years and it will at least be more believable than the last time he did it landing a top five class coming off of a Birmingham Bowl bid.

I just threw Freeze in there because he's a USM grad.

Ari Gold
09-04-2020, 08:03 AM
The should be D2 in football or even more reason why the P5 should break away in football
Let all these other D1 schools battle each and have their own playoff..
would generate for sure more excitement from the fan bases resulting in more money

Ari Gold
09-04-2020, 08:08 AM

Liberty has very good facilities and lots of money. Freeze knows how to work that money and the fan base.
He will jump at the first good offer ( if that ever comes) .. you know the guy is basically untouchable right now when Memphis didn’t make a hard push for him. Of course rumor had it Fed Ex Rebels nuked that chance .. they didn’t want him in there back yard recruiting

Cooterpoot
09-04-2020, 08:18 AM
The should be D2 in football or even more reason why the P5 should break away in football
Let all these other D1 schools battle each and have their own playoff..
would generate for sure more excitement from the fan bases resulting in more money

In theory, P5 breaking away and the G5 playoffs sound great. But P5 is really close to having some major issues. The conferences can't get on the same page, players are about to basically be professional, transfers are wide open, and they beginning to leave school after 2 years. That's going to create issues for fans. Lots of people are going to see entitlement and greed. It's already happening to a small degree if you look at attendance numbers.

Lord McBuckethead
09-04-2020, 09:20 AM
I just threw Freeze in there because he's a USM grad.

God, even their biggest supporters had to go to a different school to get an education.

Lord McBuckethead
09-04-2020, 09:27 AM
There are plenty of reason attendance is falling nationwide and it has little to do with the entitlement of the players.
1. Cost of going to a game. Tickets are pricing families of 4 out. Add in parking and concessions and it just gets even more expensive. The next big thing is lodging. Back in the day you could get a Friday room or Sat room for a standard rate. Now you have to sign a season contract and take every fri and sar home game weekend at a super high rate. Too expensive.
2. Espn has made almost every single game a TV game. The truth is, your seat in your living room, with surround sound and 80" 4k 240hz ULED TV is the best seat in the house. For the price of tickets and the other, you have about 5-6k per season to improve your set up.

Offshore Dawg
09-04-2020, 09:50 AM
There are plenty of reason attendance is falling nationwide and it has little to do with the entitlement of the players.
1. Cost of going to a game. Tickets are pricing families of 4 out. Add in parking and concessions and it just gets even more expensive. The next big thing is lodging. Back in the day you could get a Friday room or Sat room for a standard rate. Now you have to sign a season contract and take every fri and sar home game weekend at a super high rate. Too expensive.
2. Espn has made almost every single game a TV game. The truth is, your seat in your living room, with surround sound and 80" 4k 240hz ULED TV is the best seat in the house. For the price of tickets and the other, you have about 5-6k per season to improve your set up.

This all day long

Dawgology
09-04-2020, 10:51 AM

But did he wear shorts while losing to south Alabama??**

R2Dawg
09-04-2020, 11:10 AM
I didn't watch 2nd half but #5, Jones for USM can flat ball, wish we had him.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2020, 11:40 AM

Why do you think cost is going up? Wait til players are paid see how that skyrockets. And tv ratings have been dropping for at least 3+ years. I mean, you're literally proving my point for me.

Bothrops
09-04-2020, 10:40 PM
Look at CUSA. There's no reason UAB should be better. MS was loaded with G5 talent this year and USM got none of it. He can't recruit a damn lick. So, a team that folded and started back up, has passed them. Do you realize how bad that is. I can only name one coach at USM who was worse- Ellis Johnson. 6 wins in CUSA isnt good. How many conference championships has USM been to under him?
They were horrible in every phase last night. USA had lost 15 straight road games. USM fans never wanted Hopson and they want him gone. His buyout is one year's salary $500K. They should fire him.

Nobody has won at Southern Miss since Fedora. That was what...a decade ago?