PDA

View Full Version : Does Will Rogers have IT?

Todd4State
09-03-2020, 05:00 PM
I've read a lot about how the veterans are impressed about his leadership abilities.

msbulldog
09-03-2020, 05:01 PM
Yes

KOdawg1
09-03-2020, 05:22 PM
He's going to be very good and prove many wrong.

MaroonFlounder
09-03-2020, 05:41 PM
He looks extremely promising, but cool your jets until he faces a REAL SEC defense. MSU ain't one.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2020, 05:41 PM
Hard to say without seeing him play, but we simply haven’t heard upperclassmen ever praise an FR QB like this.

I remember hearing stuff before Dak played, but it wasn’t this loud.

What’s scary is to think about Mike Leach with a 4 year starting QB. The chance to build around a guy like that is crazy.

Robertson is more talented though so that competition in 2 years will be awesome

Cooterpoot
09-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Not much difference in Rogers and Shrader. Deep ball vs mobility basically.

HailStateSZN19
09-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Not much difference in Rogers and Shrader. Deep ball vs mobility basically.

You just listed a difference and it’s a pretty big one in the air raid throwing it 50+ times per game....

Coach34
09-03-2020, 06:51 PM
I met his Dad years ago (and I'm 90% sure he posts here) and he is a good dude. And a very good coach. So the kid knows football inside and out. We'll see down the road if he has "IT" just as we did with Dakota. Leach coming here was a gift to this kid. Will be something to watch over the years.

Cooterpoot
09-03-2020, 07:44 PM
You just listed a difference and it’s a pretty big one in the air raid throwing it 50+ times per game....

I didn't say Shrader couldn't throw the deep ball. Just that Rogers is a little better. Rogers is going to have to stay healthy. Other than that, he'll be fine. So will Shrader. And I hope neither have to play this year.

Bothrops
09-04-2020, 01:08 AM
I know Shrader has IT, regardless of whether or not he fits the scheme.

msu15
09-04-2020, 02:22 AM
He looks extremely promising, but cool your jets until he faces a REAL SEC defense. MSU ain't one.

Loser post

1bigdawg
09-04-2020, 06:21 AM
I didn't say Shrader couldn't throw the deep ball. Just that Rogers is a little better. Rogers is going to have to stay healthy. Other than that, he'll be fine. So will Shrader. And I hope neither have to play this year.

I hope they both get to play some for the experience.

FISHDAWG
09-04-2020, 07:21 AM
I know Shrader has IT, regardless of whether or not he fits the scheme.

Curious to know if ML has ever had a running QB ? .... I stopped short of saying Dual Threat but that's the gist of it, but air raid or not Shrader can be a weapon as we have already seen

ETA - never mind, I just saw another thread asking the very same question

NWADAWG
09-04-2020, 07:53 AM
I hope they both get to play some for the experience.

My first thought was that they could play in 4 and still redshirt but didn't the NCAA say that this year basically wouldn't count against eligibility? So, in theory, if Rogers ended up starting this year, he could be a 5 year starter?

I don't remember them saying the eligibility rule was just for seniors but maybe I missed that.

StarkVegasSteve
09-04-2020, 09:26 AM
People are forgetting that Garrett Schrader is still here. We saw a little bit of what a mobile QB could do in this offense with Minshew, and Garrett is stronger and faster than Gardner. If he works hard in the offseason and really takes this season to learn the nuances of the offense we could be hell on wheels next year with him at the helm.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2020, 09:29 AM
People are forgetting that Garrett Schrader is still here. We saw a little bit of what a mobile QB could do in this offense with Minshew, and Garrett is stronger and faster than Gardner. If he works hard in the offseason and really takes this season to learn the nuances of the offense we could be hell on wheels next year with him at the helm.

Listened to Rosebowl on Bo Bounds this morning, & it just seems like Rogers is light years ahead mentally.

Not saying that Shrader can’t catch up, but when talking about Rogers it’s pertinent to remember that this kid grew up with an air raid coach as a father. The amount of film, intuition, & instincts he likely possesses in this offense isn’t something that can be learned in a year.

We signed a QB that has been preparing to run Leach’s offense since he was about 3 years old.

Not comparing his talent level to the Mannings, but think about how advanced Eli & Peyton’s football knowledge & instincts were compared to every other college QB when they were at TN & OM. In many ways, that’s what he have here as far as football IQ. That type of football IQ is formed through years & years

While Costello is more physically talented, due to theses reasons, it wouldn’t shock me at all if Rogers actually knows & potentially runs the offense more efficiently right now.

StarkVegasSteve
09-04-2020, 09:49 AM
Listened to Rosebowl on Bo Bounds this morning, & it just seems like Rogers is light years ahead mentally.

Not saying that Shrader can’t catch up, but when talking about Rogers it’s pertinent to remember that this kid grew up with an air raid coach as a father. The amount of film, intuition, & instincts he likely possesses in this offense isn’t something that can be learned in a year.

We signed a QB that has been preparing to run Leach’s offense since he was about 3 years old.

Not comparing his talent level to the Mannings, but think about how advanced Eli & Peyton’s football knowledge & instincts were compared to every other college QB when they were at TN & OM. In many ways, that’s what he have here as far as football IQ. That type of football IQ is formed through years & years

While Costello is more physically talented, due to theses reasons, it wouldn’t shock me at all if Rogers actually knows & potentially runs the offense more efficiently right now.

No doubt that Rogers is ahead of the QBs from a knowledge of the offense standpoint. I just feel like if and when Schrader learns those nuances like Costello seems to have grasped then he could be a VERY dangerous weapon in this offense. Again, everything is on Schrader. If he wants to stay and compete I believe he could be a special talent in this offense and I believe that it could help his NFL aspirations with how pass happy the NFL is these days. But he'll have to learn, compete, and work hard to beat out someone like Rogers who knows the offense.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2020, 09:53 AM
No doubt that Rogers is ahead of the QBs from a knowledge of the offense standpoint. I just feel like if and when Schrader learns those nuances like Costello seems to have grasped then he could be a VERY dangerous weapon in this offense. Again, everything is on Schrader. If he wants to stay and compete I believe he could be a special talent in this offense and I believe that it could help his NFL aspirations with how pass happy the NFL is these days. But he'll have to learn, compete, and work hard to beat out someone like Rogers who knows the offense.

I certainly hope so. Competition is good.

msbulldog
09-04-2020, 12:20 PM
Man we are blessed to have this QB situation.

Matt3467
09-04-2020, 12:36 PM
Schrader is an old school football player. He really laid it all out on the line for us last year. I'm excited to have talent at the position but at the same time a little sad for him if it doesn't work out for him. If he doesn't get ample playing time here under the air raid I do believe he should be starting somewhere. Costello has this year apparently but afterwards if Rogers is what some are saying then regardless of the type of talent Schrader is fit and scheme wise it sounds like it's Roger's job to lose.

Homedawg
09-04-2020, 12:52 PM

Rogers is a football junkie, GS not so much.

MaroonFlounder
09-04-2020, 03:21 PM
Rogers is a football junkie, GS not so much.

Should GS switch to WR?

Coach34
09-05-2020, 12:26 AM
Should GS switch to WR?

Wtf? If Shrader finds himself 3rd string- he needs to fight for the job in the Spring- if he loses the battle- he needs to transfer somewhere that needs a dual threat guy

Todd4State
09-05-2020, 12:42 AM
Should GS switch to WR?

If Leach tells him to switch to tight end in this offense the writing is on the wall.

Todd4State
09-05-2020, 12:44 AM

I agree with what you are saying about Shrader and I do think that he has the potential to succeed in an Air Raid system. And he may very well compete and win the job. But it seems like to me that Rogers has a lot of intangibles that Leach values and if the team responds to Rogers better then I think it's a no brainer that you have to move forward with Rogers.

Todd4State
09-05-2020, 12:46 AM
Wtf? If Shrader finds himself 3rd string- he needs to fight for the job in the Spring- if he loses the battle- he needs to transfer somewhere that needs a dual threat guy

Personally I think he ends up back with Joe at Oregon in a couple of years. If I'm not mistaken Joe's offense was what Shrader ran in high school.

R2Dawg
09-05-2020, 08:52 AM
I've read a lot about how the veterans are impressed about his leadership abilities.

Maybe but it is way too early to know. Certainly a good early sign though.

We heard stuff on Dak but we really didn't know until we saw "IT" on display in 2013 egg bowl. It will be another year or two before we can say he has "IT" I think IT is used way too much these days but you may be right on Will.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-08-2020, 05:03 PM
He's going to be very good and prove many wrong.

Who said he wasn't good?