PDA

View Full Version : OT: Richie Incognito situation

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 09:08 AM
How does everyone see this Richie Incognito situation?

The best tweet I've seen it is Doug Gottlieb:

Doug Gottlieb ‏@GottliebShow 11h
Joe Philbin is Colonel Jessup,Martin is Pvt Santiago,Incognito is Downey and Miami Is Gitmo!

IMO, Incognito went to far after coaches told him to toughen up Martin, but, in the end, I feel like Incognito is getting a raw deal.

He went to far, but if you've ever spent time in a locker room, higher than high school, then you would know that this is part of the culture.

Anyway, just curious how other feel about this situation?

Bo Darville
11-06-2013, 09:21 AM
It's an interesting situation. Sounds like there were mistakes all around. I'm not sure we will ever know the true story about what happened and why. It does appear that Icognito is an asshole, he doesn't like rookies (martin now in 2nd year I think), and he took things too far. It also appears that maybe he was told to try and toughen Martin up. Icognito did used racist language. If you ban that, then the league won't be able to field teams on Sunday. At MSU, our players' twitter feeds are full of the n-word. So is the playing field in the NFL. I think hazing has gone overboard big-time. At the same time, all 53 players are not going to like each other. They just aren't.

What I would like to know is:
(1) did Icognito think he was helping Martin by toughening him up?
(2) did Icognito just think that all players should go through a hazing period?
(3) is Icognito just an a-hole and hated Martin?

ckDOG
11-06-2013, 09:35 AM
That said, I don't really know the whole story. Generally, white people aren't allowed to drop the n-bomb on black people without repercussions. Especially if they are in some kind of public image role. So I can't say I really feel bad for a moron that documents being a racist.

Plus...

http://youtu.be/SW9C4qi5Y80

Looks like a reasonable guy.

Anyhow, my uninformed opinion is that Martin spent his life amongst well off folks. He went to an expensive prep school and then Stanford. This was likely his first experience sharing a locker room with crazy folks from an entirely different world than him, much less actually having to associate with them. Instead of dealing with it himself, he freaked out and tattled instead of dealing with the scary people himself.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 09:38 AM
It's an interesting situation. Sounds like there were mistakes all around. I'm not sure we will ever know the true story about what happened and why. It does appear that Icognito is an asshole, he doesn't like rookies (martin now in 2nd year I think), and he took things too far. It also appears that maybe he was told to try and toughen Martin up. Icognito did used racist language. If you ban that, then the league won't be able to field teams on Sunday. At MSU, our players' twitter feeds are full of the n-word. So is the playing field in the NFL. I think hazing has gone overboard big-time. At the same time, all 53 players are not going to like each other. They just aren't.

What I would like to know is:
(1) did Icognito think he was helping Martin by toughening him up?
(2) did Icognito just think that all players should go through a hazing period?
(3) is Icognito just an a-hole and hated Martin?

You make good points.

I think Incognito is just a tough guy that sees toughing up and putting rookies in their place as one of his roles on the team. However, it also seems like Incognito is a good teammate that stands up for his teammates. Maybe he is just into tough love.

I think the language he used went far, but I think Incognito was just unaware how it would be taken because he and others in the locker room probably speak like every day.

Political Hack
11-06-2013, 09:42 AM
it's a locker room issue. leave it in the locker room.

The irony of him not being very incognito is being lost on people.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 09:51 AM
it's a locker room issue. leave it in the locker room.

The irony of him not being very incognito is being lost on people.

Agree

Martin violated the number one locker room rule. "What happens in the locker room stays there." You have to earn your respect there. It isn't given to you

smootness
11-06-2013, 10:06 AM
You can not tell somebody to keep it in the locker room. Let's say one of your teammates actually physically batters you...should you just keep it in the locker room. What if somebody grabs you by the throat and chokes you...keep it in the locker room?

What if Martin 'kept it in the locker room' and came back and attacked Incognito...then Incognito 'tattled' and now Martin is being prosecuted and can't ever play in the NFL again?

I think Martin handled it properly, at least from everything I know right now...he left. If you don't like it, then leave. I don't know how much he 'tattled', but if somebody asked him why he left, tell them. If Incognito didn't want any of that becoming public, he shouldn't have done it.

Now, maybe Martin really isn't tough enough for the NFL...that's a possibility, and it will now be handled because, more than likely, his career is now over, too. But Incognito is not a tough guy...he's a 'tough guy' who is not a good human being. I don't care about locker room mentality, I don't care about 'hazing', if you think this is a proper way to handle yourself in any situation, then you're just not a good person.

A good teammate doesn't leave racial slurs on another teammate's voicemail and threaten to slap their mother and kill them. That's absolutely insane, and nobody should have to suck it up and just deal with that. A good teammate cares about the other players on their team...that doesn't mean everything is always rosy or that there aren't times where you need to get in someone's face, but this is so far past the line it's absurd.

If someone thinks this is just how the NFL operates, then the NFL needs to change in a big way.

LiterallyPolice
11-06-2013, 10:15 AM
How do I feel about it?

Shotgun, we live in a world that has TV's, and those TV's have to be filled by men playing football. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Hack? Incognito has a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Martin, and you curse the NFL. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what Incognito knows. That Martin's leaving the team, while tragic, probably saved locker room morale. And his existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves locker room morale. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you WANT him on that TV, you NEED him on that TV. They use words like honor, code, loyalty. They use these words as the backbone of a life spent entertaining people. You use them as a punchline. Incognito has neither the time nor the inclination to explain himself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of entertainment that he provides, and then questions the manner in which he provide it. He would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a football, and take the field. Either way, Incognito doesn't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

[/END SCENE]

For all you young guys - watch a Few Good Men if you haven't. One of the best movies from the 90's.

blacklistedbully
11-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Guy is a HUGE asshole, apparently hated by nearly every teammate he's had. That's not common or typical. From NFL.com:

Richie Incognito's current troubles are just the latest in a long line of problems for the persona non grata offensive lineman of the Miami Dolphins.
All through college (two schools) and the NFL (three teams), he has been trouble at nearly every stop along the way.
Here's a brief look at Incognito's history of off- and on-field issues:
• As a freshman at Nebraska in 2002, Incognito (according to USA Today this week) bullied teammate Jack Limbaugh to the point where he stormed off at practice.
• Incognito started 13 of 14 games as a true freshman, missing the one against Iowa State because of an in-game fight against Penn State the week prior.
• Incognito was suspended the following spring by then-head coach Frank Solich. The reasons never were reported.

Richie Incognito at Nebraska (Getty Images)
• In the spring semester of 2004, Incognito was charged with three counts of assault after a fight at a party. He was found guilty on one charge of misdemeanor assault and hit with a $500 fine.
• That following fall, Incognito was suspended from Nebraska and he withdrew from school two weeks later.
• Two weeks after leaving Nebraska, Incognito enrolled at Oregon. A week after that, then-Ducks head coach Mike Bellotti kicked him off the team and told the Oregonian: "There were conditions we had set down and set forth for him to be admitted to our program, and they were not met."
• That next spring in 2005, Incognito declared for the NFL draft. Former Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy recently told Dan Patrick that his team red-flagged Incognito for character concerns and removed him from their draft board. So did former New England Patriots personnel boss Scott Pioli, who echoed similar sentiments on NBC Sunday night.
• After being taken in the third round of the NFL draft by the St. Louis Rams, Incognito earned a starting spot and became known for his rough style on the field. He committed 38 penalties, including seven for unnecessary roughness, in 44 games.
• Incognito was voted the "NFL's dirtiest player" by The Sporting News in a poll of 99 players in 2009.
• After several incidents involving fans and then-Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo (during a game against the Tennessee Titans), Incognito was released in December 2009. He finished the season with the Buffalo Bills but spent only three games with them.
• In December 2011, as a member of the Miami Dolphins, Incognito incited Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who was fined $30,000 for punching Incognito during a game.

Richie Incognito and Antonio Smith (Getty Images)
• Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith called out Incognito for dirty play in 2012. In a 2013 preseason game with the Dolphins, Smith swung his helmet during an altercation with Incognito, which earned Smith a one-week suspension.
• Also in August, Incognito was involved in an incident at a Miami Beach hotel in which it was reported he punched a security guard, but his name was cleared, charges were dropped and Incognito was issued only a trespassing warning.
• The incidents with Jonathan Martin, which reportedly dated from his rookie season, and through April OTAs, came to light in November. The Dolphins, after hearing the reported death threats and racist slurs on voicemails left on Martin's cell phone, suspended Incognito indefinitely and reportedly plan to cut ties with him.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Guy is a HUGE asshole, apparently hated by nearly every teammate he's had. That's not common or typical. From NFL.com:

Richie Incognito's current troubles are just the latest in a long line of problems for the persona non grata offensive lineman of the Miami Dolphins.
All through college (two schools) and the NFL (three teams), he has been trouble at nearly every stop along the way.
Here's a brief look at Incognito's history of off- and on-field issues:
• As a freshman at Nebraska in 2002, Incognito (according to USA Today this week) bullied teammate Jack Limbaugh to the point where he stormed off at practice.
• Incognito started 13 of 14 games as a true freshman, missing the one against Iowa State because of an in-game fight against Penn State the week prior.
• Incognito was suspended the following spring by then-head coach Frank Solich. The reasons never were reported.

Richie Incognito at Nebraska (Getty Images)
• In the spring semester of 2004, Incognito was charged with three counts of assault after a fight at a party. He was found guilty on one charge of misdemeanor assault and hit with a $500 fine.
• That following fall, Incognito was suspended from Nebraska and he withdrew from school two weeks later.
• Two weeks after leaving Nebraska, Incognito enrolled at Oregon. A week after that, then-Ducks head coach Mike Bellotti kicked him off the team and told the Oregonian: "There were conditions we had set down and set forth for him to be admitted to our program, and they were not met."
• That next spring in 2005, Incognito declared for the NFL draft. Former Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy recently told Dan Patrick that his team red-flagged Incognito for character concerns and removed him from their draft board. So did former New England Patriots personnel boss Scott Pioli, who echoed similar sentiments on NBC Sunday night.
• After being taken in the third round of the NFL draft by the St. Louis Rams, Incognito earned a starting spot and became known for his rough style on the field. He committed 38 penalties, including seven for unnecessary roughness, in 44 games.
• Incognito was voted the "NFL's dirtiest player" by The Sporting News in a poll of 99 players in 2009.
• After several incidents involving fans and then-Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo (during a game against the Tennessee Titans), Incognito was released in December 2009. He finished the season with the Buffalo Bills but spent only three games with them.
• In December 2011, as a member of the Miami Dolphins, Incognito incited Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who was fined $30,000 for punching Incognito during a game.

Richie Incognito and Antonio Smith (Getty Images)
• Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith called out Incognito for dirty play in 2012. In a 2013 preseason game with the Dolphins, Smith swung his helmet during an altercation with Incognito, which earned Smith a one-week suspension.
• Also in August, Incognito was involved in an incident at a Miami Beach hotel in which it was reported he punched a security guard, but his name was cleared, charges were dropped and Incognito was issued only a trespassing warning.
• The incidents with Jonathan Martin, which reportedly dated from his rookie season, and through April OTAs, came to light in November. The Dolphins, after hearing the reported death threats and racist slurs on voicemails left on Martin's cell phone, suspended Incognito indefinitely and reportedly plan to cut ties with him.

Many of his Miami teammates have come to his defense in this, and are saying they really like him. One of them said that he is the guy you love to have your team, but hate when he is on the other.

No doubt, Incognito took this way to far and is clearly an unaware human being. However, I don't think he should be kicked out of the league or did anything that should alter his career in anymore than a minor way.

blacklistedbully
11-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Many of his Miami teammates have come to his defense in this, and are saying they really like him. One of them said that he is the guy you love to have your team, but hate when he is on the other.

No doubt, Incognito took this way to far and is clearly an unaware human being. However, I don't think he should be kicked out of the league or did anything that should alter his career in anymore than a minor way.

Supposedly he has been on anti-depressant drugs since he joined the Dolphins, which has, no doubt, modified his behavior somewhat, at least around his current teammates. But his track record, when not under the influence of drugs is REALLY bad. Not a good guy, rather a bad guy, and one of those dirty players whom other players accuse of attempting to take "career-ending" knee shots in addition to the usual dirty stuff of pinching, poking and hitting in piles.

smootness
11-06-2013, 10:38 AM

His career is likely over, and I'm fine with that.

Dawg61
11-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Tim Tebow can't get a 3rd string job. Incognito is a 9 year vet acting like a 16 year old punk. **** him

DawgInMemphis
11-06-2013, 11:07 AM
How do I feel about it?

Shotgun, we live in a world that has TV's, and those TV's have to be filled by men playing football. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Hack? Incognito has a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Martin, and you curse the NFL. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what Incognito knows. That Martin's leaving the team, while tragic, probably saved locker room morale. And his existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves locker room morale. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you WANT him on that TV, you NEED him on that TV. They use words like honor, code, loyalty. They use these words as the backbone of a life spent entertaining people. You use them as a punchline. Incognito has neither the time nor the inclination to explain himself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of entertainment that he provides, and then questions the manner in which he provide it. He would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a football, and take the field. Either way, Incognito doesn't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

[/END SCENE]

For all you young guys - watch a Few Good Men if you haven't. One of the best movies from the 90's.

I thought you'd gone off the deep end until getting to the third or fourth sentence. Well played.

Political Hack
11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Tim Tebow can't get a 3rd string job. Incognito is a 9 year vet acting like a 16 year old punk. **** him

N. F. L.

sandwolf
11-06-2013, 11:25 AM
You can not tell somebody to keep it in the locker room. Let's say one of your teammates actually physically batters you...should you just keep it in the locker room. What if somebody grabs you by the throat and chokes you...keep it in the locker room?

What if Martin 'kept it in the locker room' and came back and attacked Incognito...then Incognito 'tattled' and now Martin is being prosecuted and can't ever play in the NFL again?

I think Martin handled it properly, at least from everything I know right now...he left. If you don't like it, then leave. I don't know how much he 'tattled', but if somebody asked him why he left, tell them. If Incognito didn't want any of that becoming public, he shouldn't have done it.

Now, maybe Martin really isn't tough enough for the NFL...that's a possibility, and it will now be handled because, more than likely, his career is now over, too. But Incognito is not a tough guy...he's a 'tough guy' who is not a good human being. I don't care about locker room mentality, I don't care about 'hazing', if you think this is a proper way to handle yourself in any situation, then you're just not a good person.

A good teammate doesn't leave racial slurs on another teammate's voicemail and threaten to slap their mother and kill them. That's absolutely insane, and nobody should have to suck it up and just deal with that. A good teammate cares about the other players on their team...that doesn't mean everything is always rosy or that there aren't times where you need to get in someone's face, but this is so far past the line it's absurd.

If someone thinks this is just how the NFL operates, then the NFL needs to change in a big way.

I agree. If these were two college players, then I would say that it should have been left in the locker room and handled internally, but at that level, people's jobs are on the line and shit like this is completely unacceptable........they should be able to go to work and do their job without being harassed by their coworkers. The idea of the folks within the Miami organization allowing this stuff to go on is crazy to me, and they will be lucky if they don't get slapped with a lawsuit.

Political Hack
11-06-2013, 11:28 AM
How do I feel about it?

[/END SCENE]

while enjoyable, I think you misinterpreted my post. Just keep the crap in the locker room. Happens everywhere.

I've seen guys have their heads shoved in a toilet, made to "wear" a cantaloupe, impromptu bull in the ring, popped with a wet towel until they almost bled, guys dunked in ice cold tubs of water and made to run by the cheerleaders immediately after to get their clothes. And I'm not even putting the more grotesque things down.

Dawg61
11-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Wearing a Loupe could be nutritious

Jack Lambert
11-06-2013, 11:34 AM
The Saints got caught doing what most teams did and the NFL made a example out of them. I think this goes on every where just like the bounty went on everywhere. Bottom line is this, they are going to make a example out of Miami.

hells bells
11-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Tebow got it must worse than this candy ass that quit. Between the haircut, criticized for promoting Jesus Christ as his savior, not only from players but the press as well, screw this guy. Either grow a set and play football or live off Mommy and Daddy. Hell, you weigh over 300 lbs. kick his ass and shut Incognito up.

quickstrike2
11-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Its probably a situation of a genuine asshole and a guy that's more sensitive that most NFL lineman. Just a perfect storm of a Incognito going a little to far and Martin deciding to let the whole world know the situation. I figure this type of activity is common in locker rooms, maybe not to this extent, but not exactly earth shattering either. However, i do not know the whole story, and the Dolphins will cover it up and just throw Incognito under the bus. Its the new American way.

Dawg61
11-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Martin can't kick his ass. Very few people in this world can. Dude is HUGE and crazy! Martin was stuck next to him on the OL too. He could not escape the monster so he just said "**** it I quit" which is probably what the Dolphins wanted him to do all along. They just didn't expect the media backlash.

Jack Lambert
11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Tebow got it must worse than this candy ass that quit. Between the haircut, criticized for promoting Jesus Christ as his savior, not only from players but the press as well, screw this guy. Either grow a set and play football or live off Mommy and Daddy. Hell, you weigh over 300 lbs. kick his ass and shut Incognito up.

And when you are done you kick him while he is down and tell him "buy your own damn meal". Then turn around and look at everyone and ask, " Who's next".

dawgs
11-06-2013, 12:07 PM
i'm 100% on martin's side. i think the machismo "toughening up" of football players is a bunch of bullshit. i identify with martin. he's a smart guy, went to a great school, happened to be huge and athletic, so he played major CFB and went on to the NFL. i played private school OL and we had a couple of billy badasses that thought they needed to toughen me up because i wasn't a psychopath when i walked on the field. bunch of bullshit. they wanted him to be a dumbass psychopath when he walked on the field, and that wasn't him. there's not a prerequisite to be like richie incognito to be a good football player despite what meatheads think.

Jack Lambert
11-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Martin can't kick his ass. Very few people in this world can. Dude is HUGE and crazy! Martin was stuck next to him on the OL too. He could not escape the monster so he just said "**** it I quit" which is probably what the Dolphins wanted him to do all along. They just didn't expect the media backlash.

So do you think there was a bonus for Incognito?

Dawg61
11-06-2013, 12:17 PM
So do you think there was a bonus for Incognito?

His bonus was to keep his job. Everyone except Martin is going to look bad here and the details about rookies having to finance the veterans party lifestyles is going to make the NFL look bad when most people in the USA can't afford $300 meals let alone $30,000 ones.

Vandownbytheriver
11-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Dude threatened to kill the guy and hit his mother. Yeah, real normal shit here.

"Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [I want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

dawgs
11-06-2013, 12:23 PM
i also hate the idea that martin should have resorted to physically standing up to incognito instead of walking away. what utter bullshit. i'm a nice guy but i've snapped a few times when someone took my nice guy personality as a sign of weakness and repeatedly tried to get a rise out of me or tried to take advantage of me. it sounds like martin is a nice guy, and between the texts/emails/voice mails, he finally snapped in his own way when he sat down with the rest of the OL to eat at the cafeteria and they all got up and left him sitting there. maybe he's not the type of personality that responds to this kinda treatment and if they'd treated him with respect and kindness he'd probably have run through a wall for them, but treating him without respect in an effort to "toughen him up" didn't actually toughen him up at all, just made him snap and quit. i know why he reacted that way because i would have been in the same boat. i'm gonna play and try much harder for someone i like and respect than i will for someone that shits on me nonstop.

Vandownbytheriver
11-06-2013, 12:24 PM
And sent messages saying he would track down his family members and kill them. Hazing is one thing. Given any other situation, this ****er would be in jail for stalking and harassment.

hells bells
11-06-2013, 12:26 PM
And when you are done you kick him while he is down and tell him "buy your own damn meal". Then turn around and look at everyone and ask, " Who's next".

Oooo Rhaa. Thank ya Jack Lambert. Damn tired of the pussification of America.

LiterallyPolice
11-06-2013, 12:35 PM
while enjoyable, I think you misinterpreted my post. Just keep the crap in the locker room. Happens everywhere.

I've seen guys have their heads shoved in a toilet, made to "wear" a cantaloupe, impromptu bull in the ring, popped with a wet towel until they almost bled, guys dunked in ice cold tubs of water and made to run by the cheerleaders immediately after to get their clothes. And I'm not even putting the more grotesque things down.

Haha... my post was in no way meant to actually be a response to anything said in the thread. I just mentioned you and Shotgun by name because ya'll were doing the bulk of the discussion. In short, I just wanted to paraphrase A Few Good Men, and had nothing of substance to contribute to the discussion.

Carry On!

smootness
11-06-2013, 01:01 PM
i also hate the idea that martin should have resorted to physically standing up to incognito instead of walking away. what utter bullshit. i'm a nice guy but i've snapped a few times when someone took my nice guy personality as a sign of weakness and repeatedly tried to get a rise out of me or tried to take advantage of me. it sounds like martin is a nice guy, and between the texts/emails/voice mails, he finally snapped in his own way when he sat down with the rest of the OL to eat at the cafeteria and they all got up and left him sitting there. maybe he's not the type of personality that responds to this kinda treatment and if they'd treated him with respect and kindness he'd probably have run through a wall for them, but treating him without respect in an effort to "toughen him up" didn't actually toughen him up at all, just made him snap and quit. i know why he reacted that way because i would have been in the same boat. i'm gonna play and try much harder for someone i like and respect than i will for someone that shits on me nonstop.

Agree 100%.

Political Hack
11-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Dude threatened to kill the guy and hit his mother. Yeah, real normal shit here.

"Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [I want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

have you heard what Chris Wilson used to tell at our players? it's no worse.

dawgs
11-06-2013, 02:06 PM

and what we're saying is that a lot of people respond to a coach that doesn't treat his players like that. i'd play much harder for a player's coach that i liked, like say chip kelly, than i would got a coach that just yelled and cussed and treated us like shit nonstop all the time. it's not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of a stable sane human being imo to respond better to encouragement and teaching than berating and belittling.

smootness
11-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Please. There is no way Chris Wilson used racial slurs, threatened to hit a player's mother, or threatened to kill a player. That is nonsense.

Of course, if by some chance you are correct, then Chris Wilson should never have a job again in his life. Just because it happens doesn't make it good or right.

HancockCountyDog
11-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Really????

fishwater99
11-06-2013, 04:32 PM
How does everyone see this Richie Incognito situation?

The best tweet I've seen it is Doug Gottlieb:

Doug Gottlieb ‏@GottliebShow 11h
Joe Philbin is Colonel Jessup,Martin is Pvt Santiago,Incognito is Downey and Miami Is Gitmo!

IMO, Incognito went to far after coaches told him to toughen up Martin, but, in the end, I feel like Incognito is getting a raw deal.

He went to far, but if you've ever spent time in a locker room, higher than high school, then you would know that this is part of the culture.

Anyway, just curious how other feel about this situation?

Are you a racist ? That is not part of the culture. He also threaten to kill Martin...
Incognito should not see the NFL field again..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9926139/richie-incognito-miami-dolphins-used-slurs-messages-jonathan-martin

Martin needs to lawyer up and sue the NFL and the Miami Dolphins and he will get a nice settlement...

Vandownbytheriver
11-06-2013, 04:53 PM

So, because we had our own psycho it makes it okay? You are no longer allowed to babysit my kids when I come to Atlanta.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Martin must have been a huge head case:

Just tweeted:

Tannehill: "If you would have asked Jon Martin a week ago, who his best friend was outside of football, he would have said Richie Incognito"

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Dolphins players are defending Incognito today.

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP 19m
Hartline is outraged because he says Martin was passing the voicemail around earlier in the year and laughing about it.

dawgs
11-06-2013, 05:58 PM
sounds like they are circling the wagons in miami.

maybe martin was trying to laugh at it to hide how he really felt because it he let anyone know it bothered him they'd call him a ***** and do far worse to try to "toughen him up".

Political Hack
11-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Please. There is no way Chris Wilson used racial slurs, threatened to hit a player's mother, or threatened to kill a player. That is nonsense.

Of course, if by some chance you are correct, then Chris Wilson should never have a job again in his life. Just because it happens doesn't make it good or right.

settle down Charlie.

Is "I will make you watch me F your momma" any better?

Political Hack
11-06-2013, 06:14 PM
but I agree it doesn't make it right. just pointing out that it's rampant and widely accepted within those circles. Public outrage doesn't mean that the football world is outraged... and until they're outraged, it won't change.

Dawg61
11-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Martin must have been a huge head case:

Just tweeted:

Tannehill: "If you would have asked Jon Martin a week ago, who his best friend was outside of football, he would have said Richie Incognito"

Sounds like Martin is a high school girl

HereComesTheSpiral
11-06-2013, 06:52 PM

My Drill Sgt said worse, excluding the N word.

smootness
11-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Public outrage doesn't mean that the football world is outraged... and until they're outraged, it won't change.

This isn't true. The NFL will absolutely make changes because of this; they're running a business, and they realize this is harmful to their business.

Just like the bounties...do you think the football world was outraged about that? But they still had to make an example and institute changes.

Political Hack
11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
This isn't true. The NFL will absolutely make changes because of this; they're running a business, and they realize this is harmful to their business.

Just like the bounties...do you think the football world was outraged about that? But they still had to make an example and institute changes.

lmao. You think bounties are gone?

smootness
11-07-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm not saying they're completely gone. I'm saying changes were implemented, and if you're caught now, you're stupid and will be hammered.

People will always try to find ways around the rules, but yes, I think the NFL wants them gone.

Political Hack
11-07-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm not saying they're completely gone. I'm saying changes were implemented, and if you're caught now, you're stupid and will be hammered.

People will always try to find ways around the rules, but yes, I think the NFL wants them gone.

true.

I think asking teams to get rid of hazing is like asking frats to quit drinking. It's going to be much harder IMO.

smootness
11-07-2013, 11:05 AM
It kind of depends on what you mean by 'hazing'. If you're talking about taping someone to a goalpost, who cares. But I would hope most teams in the league already wouldn't allow what went on in Miami.

dawgs
11-07-2013, 11:49 AM
lmao. You think bounties are gone?

bounties aren't run by coaches anymore, that's for damn sure. players probably have their own hush hush rings going on outside of the lockerroom, but coaches aren't going to be in the loop.

fishwater99
11-07-2013, 03:40 PM
It kind of depends on what you mean by 'hazing'. If you're talking about taping someone to a goalpost, who cares. But I would hope most teams in the league already wouldn't allow what went on in Miami.

I agree, and it looks like Martin is lawyer-ed up and is about to get paid... Ireland was told and did nothing about it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9941182/jonathan-martin-issues-several-miami-dolphins-agent-rick-smith-says