PDA

View Full Version : Spurrier Jr--May have been discussed

BB30
09-02-2020, 12:55 PM
Man, I know we have talked about the new staff and Spurrier Jr. but just to reiterate, it is crazy how much he resembles and speaks like his dad did.

I am pumped to have this guy on staff and believe he will end up being a heck of a coach. How long do yall think we can hold on to him if he does well and I would assume that he has head coaching aspirations, does anyone know?

bulldawg28
09-02-2020, 01:20 PM
We're already talking about losing a coach before even playing a game?

Dawgology
09-02-2020, 06:02 PM
Man, I know we have talked about the new staff and Spurrier Jr. but just to reiterate, it is crazy how much he resembles and speaks like his dad did.

I am pumped to have this guy on staff and believe he will end up being a heck of a coach. How long do yall think we can hold on to him if he does well and I would assume that he has head coaching aspirations, does anyone know?

He?s been with Leach?s staff for some time hasn?t he? And followed him to State. Or is he brand new to the staff?

Walkerhill
09-02-2020, 07:53 PM
He?s been with Leach?s staff for some time hasn?t he? And followed him to State. Or is he brand new to the staff?

He connected with Leach in 2018 after about a decade coaching under his Dad and then short stints at OU and WKU.

It might be a good idea to groom him and a few others towards potential future head coach at State. It would be ideal to spend another 1-2 years at WR coach, about 2 years as an offensive coordinator and then run a smaller program for 2-4 years, and then bring him back as head coach in waiting at State.

It is a crime we were so under-prepared for Mullen to move on after nearly a decade. If we had a replacement in the wings to continue our style and philosophy with max continuity we never would have had to roll the dice on a wholesale philosophy change.

Mullen was not the kind of leader to empower and develop future head coaches, but Leach clearly is, so we should be strategically putting talent under him and managing to the future.

BB30
09-03-2020, 09:34 AM
We're already talking about losing a coach before even playing a game?

Simply asking for more info on the guy as to why he hasn't been at bigger programs and if anyone knows if he has interest in being a head coach down the road as it would be pretty cool for Spurrier Jr. to be our HC in waiting if he is talented enough. Just really impressed by the guy.

Johnson85
09-03-2020, 09:52 AM
He connected with Leach in 2018 after about a decade coaching under his Dad and then short stints at OU and WKU.

It might be a good idea to groom him and a few others towards potential future head coach at State. It would be ideal to spend another 1-2 years at WR coach, about 2 years as an offensive coordinator and then run a smaller program for 2-4 years, and then bring him back as head coach in waiting at State.

It is a crime we were so under-prepared for Mullen to move on after nearly a decade. If we had a replacement in the wings to continue our style and philosophy with max continuity we never would have had to roll the dice on a wholesale philosophy change.

Mullen was not the kind of leader to empower and develop future head coaches, but Leach clearly is, so we should be strategically putting talent under him and managing to the future.

I'm not sure what we could have done differently given Mullen's coaching style. IF we had prepared a head coach on his staff, it would have been a defensive head coach. COllins was probably the best DC with head coach potential we had, but for whatever reason, he couldn't let Collins do what he did. Not sure if he learned from that and let Grantham have more autonomy, or if he just trusted Grantham more for some reason, or if he was jsut scared of Grantham. Chris Wilson would have been the right age to groom for a HC position, but he obviously wasn't ready and probably wasn't head coach material. What's his name that went to Louisville would have probably had all the head coaching skills except for anything actually involving coaching.

msbulldog
09-03-2020, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure what we could have done differently given Mullen's coaching style. IF we had prepared a head coach on his staff, it would have been a defensive head coach. COllins was probably the best DC with head coach potential we had, but for whatever reason, he couldn't let Collins do what he did. Not sure if he learned from that and let Grantham have more autonomy, or if he just trusted Grantham more for some reason, or if he was jsut scared of Grantham. Chris Wilson would have been the right age to groom for a HC position, but he obviously wasn't ready and probably wasn't head coach material. What's his name that went to Louisville would have probably had all the head coaching skills except for anything actually involving coaching.

Scared, hell i'd be scared of Grantham.

StarkVegasSteve
09-03-2020, 12:36 PM
I wonder if Spurrier Jr. actually ever wants to be a HC. To be constantly compared to your father along with all the other duties that come with being a HC would be a TON of stress. He may be one of those guys that is comfortable making 400K-600K a year. I mean hell we know he doesn't need the money and he's been coaching for 20 years. Could be a case of being comfortable being an assistant. A la Brett Venables.

bulldawg28
09-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Simply asking for more info on the guy as to why he hasn't been at bigger programs and if anyone knows if he has interest in being a head coach down the road as it would be pretty cool for Spurrier Jr. to be our HC in waiting if he is talented enough. Just really impressed by the guy.

I've gotcha. I'm impressed by him as well. I think he's with us for awhile unless he's promoted to a co-offensive coordinator or takes a job at a lower school to become an OC.