PDA

View Full Version : Quick Thoughts

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2020, 08:34 AM
Just some quick thoughts on a Monday morning so I didn?t have to make 5 different posts....

- The funniest thing to me about the Big 10?s decision is that for years we thought they were just biased but didn?t really believe their own BS. For years we?ve had to hear how good Michigan, Penn State, etc were, but when we watched them on TV, we realized they kind of sucked. Again, we just thought they were purposefully biased in an effort to promote their brand. However, their cancelation and expectation that others would follow showed us is that they really lacked awareness about where they stood in college football. This entire time they weren?t just biased, they were narcissistic level arrogant & delusional. This not so little wake up call couldn?t have happened to a better group.

- As I?ve said in another thread, I expect our game vs LSU to be a good one. We aren?t facing the defending national champs. We?re facing the helmet that the defending national champs wore. When comparing the two teams MSU is better at QB, OL, & more experienced while still talented at RB. Our defense may get absolutely lit up by LSU, but that would be assuming that Brennan is pretty good & all of LSU?s new players are efficiently running whatever version of the Brady, Linehan, Emsminger scheme they are running. You win in today?s college football by scoring points & putting the other team in predictable play calling due to your ability to score points. If we lose 42-35, I?ll be excited about the direction we?re headed.

- Can we just start every SEC football season on Sep 26th? I?m kind of liking this. Seems like a better season time span from late September to mid December.

- Bo Bounds is saying that Ole Miss is about to be entirely in on Deion Smith. WTF does that mean? I haven?t even heard them really connected with him. Furthermore, if Deion doesn?t go to LSU, I think he?ll sign with the team that throws the ball 50+ times a game.

- To add another quick thought:

During all this SJW stuff, I’ve recognized how acceptable the “F” word has become on twitter by sports personalities & athletes.

While I admit that I slip up sometimes, how casual they use the word in tweets IMO lets me know who’s opinions come from a heart that has God in it vs ones that don’t. The major difference to me between what we are seeing in society currently and the Civil Rights movement is that the Civil Rights movement was headed by Reverends while this movement is headed by people that casually use the F word in tweets like it’s the word THE. IDK, it just really disturbs me.

Ari Gold
08-31-2020, 08:47 AM
In regulars to Smith and OM
He is enrolled and playing football at JA and it’s being taking care of by a LSU booster.
So best of luck

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2020, 08:51 AM
In regulars to Smith and OM
He is enrolled and playing football at JA and it’s being taking care of by a LSU booster.
So best of luck

Can we turn in the LSU booster?

Can we cheat in Louisiana and get away with it?

Lord McBuckethead
08-31-2020, 09:10 AM
I agree o the Sept 26 start. It gives the teams more practice time. It may keep everyone from having a 105 degree week 1-3 games. Also, it extends further into December, which will bring some pretty cold games, which I am in favor of.

Johnson85
08-31-2020, 09:26 AM
I agree o the Sept 26 start. It gives the teams more practice time. It may keep everyone from having a 105 degree week 1-3 games. Also, it extends further into December, which will bring some pretty cold games, which I am in favor of.

I'd prefer a longer season and more bye weeks. The hot games "suck", but not in comparison to no football. And I don't think you can extend the season much later without interfering with finals, which while some of the athletes are just athletes and not student athletes, there are still plenty of student athletes and I think you have to give them at least a half week before finals start with no football, which may mean you can't even play one week past thanksgiving depending on how the calendar, not sure.

They do need to adjust the tv schedule for the SEC early in the year though. Have just one 11am time slot and a 2 pm time slot. Just accept that you're only going to have one game during those time slots for the first few weeks, so you won't be able to fill up all your espn networks at 11 and 2 during those time slots. Then have the rest of your games spread out across the networks at say the 5, 6, and 7 time slots (or 5, 6:30, and 8:00?). I know TV money is the most important thing, but I think the pandemic has shown that fans matter for tv broadcasts, so the networks don't want the schools to alienate season ticket holders.

Captain Falcon
08-31-2020, 09:28 AM
Can we turn in the LSU booster?

Can we cheat in Louisiana and get away with it?

Based on everything else happening at LSU the last year or two they could literally murder an entire football team and the NCAA wouldn't do anything about it.

Hambone
08-31-2020, 09:33 AM
I laughed out loud at the thought of them getting in trouble for anything.

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2020, 09:34 AM
Based on everything else happening at LSU the last year or two they could literally murder an entire football team and the NCAA wouldn't do anything about it.

This is true.

What’s odd to me though is that we’d turn Ole Miss in for jaywalking while letting Auburn, Bama, A&M, and LSU rob banks in front of our face and never say a word.

I guess I just don’t understand recruiting enough to understand this double standard

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2020, 09:35 AM
I'd prefer a longer season and more bye weeks. The hot games "suck", but not in comparison to no football. And I don't think you can extend the season much later without interfering with finals, which while some of the athletes are just athletes and not student athletes, there are still plenty of student athletes and I think you have to give them at least a half week before finals start with no football, which may mean you can't even play one week past thanksgiving depending on how the calendar, not sure.

They do need to adjust the tv schedule for the SEC early in the year though. Have just one 11am time slot and a 2 pm time slot. Just accept that you're only going to have one game during those time slots for the first few weeks, so you won't be able to fill up all your espn networks at 11 and 2 during those time slots. Then have the rest of your games spread out across the networks at say the 5, 6, and 7 time slots (or 5, 6:30, and 8:00?). I know TV money is the most important thing, but I think the pandemic has shown that fans matter for tv broadcasts, so the networks don't want the schools to alienate season ticket holders.

All good ideas

Ari Gold
08-31-2020, 09:42 AM
This is true.

What?s odd to me though is that we?d turn Ole Miss in for jaywalking while letting Auburn, Bama, A&M, and LSU rob banks in front of our face and never say a word.

I guess I just don?t understand recruiting enough to understand this double standard

There were a lot of WE?s involved when it came to all the crap going in under Freeze and company at OM..
They just want to spin it that it was all MSU...

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2020, 09:45 AM
We didn’t turn OM in for all the Freeze stuff.. we just added our info..

Gotcha. But OM got in trouble for cheating across state lines, but we don’t seem to have an issue with out of state schools cheating in MS. Is that right?

Ari Gold
08-31-2020, 09:49 AM
Gotcha. But OM got in trouble for cheating across state lines, but we don’t seem to have an issue with out of state schools cheating in MS. Is that right?

If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying and it’s only cheating if you get caught..

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2020, 09:51 AM
If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying and it’s only cheating if you get caught..

Enough said I guess

Johnson85
08-31-2020, 10:08 AM
This is true.

What’s odd to me though is that we’d turn Ole Miss in for jaywalking while letting Auburn, Bama, A&M, and LSU rob banks in front of our face and never say a word.

I guess I just don’t understand recruiting enough to understand this double standard

It's not hard to understand. "We" turned in Auburn for cheating and the SEC basically responded by putting pressure on the NCAA to clear Auburn and then chastised us. That was for Auburn, who is not LSU, Bama, or Florida and may not even be Georgia.

I don't think we'd have even turned Ole Miss in except they were so freaking sloppy and involved our players. And Ole Miss wouldn't have even gotten in trouble had they not been buying players they had no business getting. They still didn't really get in trouble other than the process they had to go through hurt their recruiting.

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2020, 10:50 AM
To add another quick thought:

During all this SJW stuff, I’ve recognized how acceptable the “F” word has become on twitter by sports personalities & athletes.

While I admit that I slip up sometimes, how casual they use the word in tweets IMO lets me know who’s opinions come from a heart that has God in it vs ones that don’t

Commercecomet24
08-31-2020, 10:54 AM
To add another quick thought:

During all this SJW stuff, I?ve recognized how acceptable the ?F? word has become on twitter by sports personalities & athletes.

While I admit that I slip up sometimes, how casual they use the word in tweets IMO lets me know who?s opinions come from a heart that has God in it vs ones that don?t

Well said, Gun!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ShotgunDawg again.

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2020, 10:58 AM
Well said, Gun!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ShotgunDawg again.

The F word is a hateful word. I’m all for equality, protests, etc so long as those things come from a Godly heart & spill out love. That’s my biggest problem right now with what I see going on.

Love will always win in this world. ALWAYS and those that don’t use love to advance their agenda will be relegated to losing every time

Commercecomet24
08-31-2020, 11:19 AM
The F word is a hateful word. I’m all for equality, protests, etc so long as those things come from a Godly heart & spill out love. That’s my biggest problem right now with what I see going on.

Love will always win in this world. ALWAYS and those that don’t use love to advance their agenda will be relegated to losing every time

I'm right there with ya! Agree with everything you just said. The hate and anger I see in this country right now(from extremists on both sides)hurts. I travel in 9 states and interact everyday with scores of people of every race, creed, orientation,etc. and those interactions are 99.9% great, even though we may not agree on everthing. The 2 words that immediately turn me off are the F word and GD. You're not gonna convice me of anything when you start throwing that around and I'm not gonna listen to you anymore.

Mjoelner34
08-31-2020, 11:30 AM
The 2 words that immediately turn me off are the F word and GD. You're not gonna convice me of anything when you start throwing that around and I'm not gonna listen to you anymore.

Same here bud.

dawgman
08-31-2020, 11:48 AM

Back in the old days the men's freshman dorms (Boomarang Smith, Critz, Hightower and can't recall last one name. Sessums, Moore and a couple more)
were not air conditioned and Scott Field did not have lights so all home game started at 1:00 PM. How did we all survive?

Captain Falcon
08-31-2020, 11:48 AM
I'm right there with ya! Agree with everything you just said. The hate and anger I see in this country right now(from extremists on both sides)hurts. I travel in 9 states and interact everyday with scores of people of every race, creed, orientation,etc. and those interactions are 99.9% great, even though we may not agree on everthing. The 2 words that immediately turn me off are the F word and GD. You're not gonna convice me of anything when you start throwing that around and I'm not gonna listen to you anymore.

Agree with you 100%. It's the same reason why I don't listen to most comedians. There are only a handful who are funny without having to use foul language, and one of the more prominent ones (Gaffigan) just kinda ruined his shtick for me with his social media meltdown the other day.

I'm by no means perfect and I do accidentally let curse words slip every now and then or at least think them in my head, but F and GD are huge no no's for me. I agree that foul language has become way too casual and commonplace nowadays.

BiscuitEater
08-31-2020, 12:05 PM
Back in the old days the men's freshman dorms (Boomarang Smith, Critz, Hightower and can't recall last one name. Sessums, Moore and a couple more) were not air conditioned and Scott Field did not have lights so all home game started at 1:00 PM.

Fourth was Dugger. I was a .. 'disciple of Critz'

And, I don't know 'how' We lived through all those day games!

Jack Lambert
08-31-2020, 12:05 PM
LSU is replacing five interior O Lineman and the TE. The starting Center has experience as a starter but he is a grad transfer from Harvard. I don't know if he has seen SEC game speed before. I see LSU struggling this season. They will not fall off the map. I see a lot of teams not breaking 500 due to no Out of Conference teams. You can figure 1/2 the conference will be at 500 or below.

Commercecomet24
08-31-2020, 12:18 PM
Agree with you 100%. It's the same reason why I don't listen to most comedians. There are only a handful who are funny without having to use foul language, and one of the more prominent ones (Gaffigan) just kinda ruined his shtick for me with his social media meltdown the other day.

I'm by no means perfect and I do accidentally let curse words slip every now and then or at least think them in my head, but F and GD are huge no no's for me. I agree that foul language has become way too casual and commonplace nowadays.

Yep! I listen to a lot of comedy when I'm on the road, but I'm selective and choose the ones that keep it clean. There are some really good ones that are hilarious without being or talking filthy. Some of my favorites: Brian Regan, Henry Cho, Paul Allen, Mike Armstrong, Leeanne Morgan to name a few. (I liked Gaffigan too). People believe using those words causes fear and intimidation.

msbulldog
08-31-2020, 12:26 PM
Back in the old days the men's freshman dorms (Boomarang Smith, Critz, Hightower and can't recall last one name. Sessums, Moore and a couple more)
were not air conditioned and Scott Field did not have lights so all home game started at 1:00 PM. How did we all survive?

We had our whiskey on ice! I was in Hightower the first year (1973) they had window air conditioners, but they didn't turn them on.

iPat09
08-31-2020, 12:44 PM
Now looks like a good a time as any to shamelessly share a story I wrote for the paper in college about why people tend to curse so much more these days...

https://www.patrickwiggins.com/otherstories/whats-with-all-the-cussing

dawgman
08-31-2020, 01:38 PM
We had our whiskey on ice! I was in Hightower the first year (1973) they had window air conditioners, but they didn't turn them on.

Yea in 1971 there were no A/C in the rooms. I was in Hightower 2nd floor. There were 15-20 of us from the same high school and 8-10 of us hung around together. Beer for breakfast on those 1:30 games just like now for the11:00 games. The hot sun at 1:00 when you started pre-gaming (term from my daughter) at 8:00-8:30 was brutal.

Percho
08-31-2020, 03:00 PM
Same here bud.

"I'm with you fellers."

Thick
08-31-2020, 04:29 PM
Word around town is Smith will be a non-qualifier. This comes from a good friend that just seems to know things.

Cooterpoot
08-31-2020, 04:38 PM
I cuss like a sailor and OM has less than a 0% chance with Smith.

HailStateSZN19
08-31-2020, 04:42 PM
I cuss like a sailor and OM has less than a 0% chance with Smith.

I’m assuming we have around a 0% chance and maybe less than 0% chance. Would that be accurate?

Or could LSU imploding this year open the door? They’re losing guys left and right. Had a buddy text me that over on 247, LSU’s mod is saying that they’re starting DT, Shelvin, is most likely going to opt out. They’ve lost a historical number of players from last season to this season. I don’t think we beat them but maybe they fall way more back down to earth than anyone ever thought they would.

Hambone
08-31-2020, 04:52 PM
One problem I see, is if there are so many people “opting out” it just increases Smith’s chances of getting early playing time.

HailStateSZN19
08-31-2020, 04:55 PM
One problem I see, is if there are so many people “opting out” it just increases Smith’s chances of getting early playing time.

Early PT at WR can't be sold anywhere better than us lol. Deion would walk on campus and most likely be a Day 1 starter, if not a starter, he'd play a lot of snaps either way.

Extendedcab
09-01-2020, 03:18 PM
Now looks like a good a time as any to shamelessly share a story I wrote for the paper in college about why people tend to curse so much more these days...

https://www.patrickwiggins.com/otherstories/whats-with-all-the-cussing

I would like to add:

You know, it is sad that the Supreme Court expelled God from the public schools in 1962 and 1963, when they ruled that prayer and Bible reading in school had become unconstitutional. Today the moral precepts of the Ten Commandments can no longer hang on the walls of our children's public classrooms. Yet many people can't understand why the generation that reached adulthood in the '60s and '70s turned out so rootless and rebellious. This was a definitive turning point in our nation's history since our nation was founded on the belief of God and Jesus Christ. The laws of God in the Bible, and specifically the Ten Commandments, have been the bedrock of western civilization for 2,000 years. Judeo-Christian concepts of justice and legitimate authority shaped the English Common Law and later the American Declaration of Independence, with its recognition of inalienable rights bestowed upon men by their Creator. Our "values" are based on something ABSOLUTE and objective. This is necessary in order for our "values" to have any enduring strength and binding force. But these foundations have been abandoned in our day even at our highest level of government as this generation is now in a position of authority and influence. The results are that we are abandoning commitment and virtue, and degenerating into an openly hedonistic people with an egocentric philosophy of moral relativism.

To put it in modern vernacular, Garbage in, Garbage out!

msbulldog
09-02-2020, 06:24 AM
I would like to add:

You know, it is sad that the Supreme Court expelled God from the public schools in 1962 and 1963, when they ruled that prayer and Bible reading in school had become unconstitutional. Today the moral precepts of the Ten Commandments can no longer hang on the walls of our children's public classrooms. Yet many people can't understand why the generation that reached adulthood in the '60s and '70s turned out so rootless and rebellious. This was a definitive turning point in our nation's history since our nation was founded on the belief of God and Jesus Christ. The laws of God in the Bible, and specifically the Ten Commandments, have been the bedrock of western civilization for 2,000 years. Judeo-Christian concepts of justice and legitimate authority shaped the English Common Law and later the American Declaration of Independence, with its recognition of inalienable rights bestowed upon men by their Creator. Our "values" are based on something ABSOLUTE and objective. This is necessary in order for our "values" to have any enduring strength and binding force. But these foundations have been abandoned in our day even at our highest level of government as this generation is now in a position of authority and influence. The results are that we are abandoning commitment and virtue, and degenerating into an openly hedonistic people with an egocentric philosophy of moral relativism.

To put it in modern vernacular, Garbage in, Garbage out!

Amen! I pray for this country every day!

TALL DAWG
09-02-2020, 07:38 AM

Well CC-24, I guess u have never liked a single men?s football, baseball or basketball coach who has ever coached at MSU in our lifetime then. All have dropped 17-bombs and GDs ,at times, at practices and during games, either during time outs, in locker rooms at halftime or between innings. Heck, if u ever sat behind MSU dugout during some games, IB was dropping them while on the baseball field during games toward the umpires at times.

Using GD is one thing but dropping the 17-bomb now is about equal to saying damn or Sh@t back in the 1980?s.

Just saying....

Johnson85
09-02-2020, 08:41 AM
Well CC-24, I guess u have never liked a single men?s football, baseball or basketball coach who has ever coached at MSU in our lifetime then. All have dropped 17-bombs and GDs ,at times, at practices and during games, either during time outs, in locker rooms at halftime or between innings. Heck, if u ever sat behind MSU dugout during some games, IB was dropping them while on the baseball field during games toward the umpires at times.

Using GD is one thing but dropping the 17-bomb now is about equal to saying damn or Sh@t back in the 1980?s.

Just saying....

The cursing by coaches is not part of the product we are really consuming for sports. When a comedian curses, it's part of the product. I don't have a problem either way but it's perfectly reasonable to be bothered by a comedian cursing during his bit and not by a coach cursing at practice or games that you have to have particular seats or go out of your way to hear.

BrunswickDawg
09-02-2020, 09:13 AM
The cursing by coaches is not part of the product we are really consuming for sports. When a comedian curses, it's part of the product. I don't have a problem either way but it's perfectly reasonable to be bothered by a comedian cursing during his bit and not by a coach cursing at practice or games that you have to have particular seats or go out of your way to hear.

And both are different then a someone doing it in a "professional" setting. A journalist in a report, a politician in a speech or conducting a meeting, a professor in a lecture, etc. should not do it.