PDA

View Full Version : CHEF DIXON.....

oldjoedawg
08-28-2020, 02:54 PM
Yesterday we had a brief, polite exchange where you sincerely asked me what I would suggest that our players do to make an impact on current conditions in our nation beyond sitting out a practice. Here are my best suggestions:

The necessary changes that resulted in a more inclusive society go back to the fact that laws were enacted that had consequences for those who continued to discriminate and harass minority groups...in particular the black citizens of our country....LAWS WERE ENACTED THAT ULTIMATELY LED TO CHANGES IN TREATMENT AND OPENESS TO OPPORTUNITY.

The levers that can be used to make changes are always pulled by those who represent us in government at any level...city, county, state, federal. So, a good place for our players to plug in to make a difference would be (1) contacting/communicating with those in office and SPELLING OUT the changes they would like to see made. It is not enough to just shout out against police brutality....injustice, etc.

(2) They could also become, if not already, active in encouraging their fellow teammates...family members...hometown friends, etc. in registering to vote AND in actually voting at all levels of government. Participation at the polls is abysmal across all segments of our society. If one doesn't vote then they have no ground upon which to stand in criticizing outcomes...elections have consequences just as do choices.

I realize that their time for such activities is limited at this stage in their lives, but if they do not begin now to establish a pattern of participation then they will likely be at the same place years from now.

Tens of thousands of persons marching with Dr. King in peaceful protests got results that had been longed for, for decades. I saw him march on Main Street in Memphis in 1968 shortly before his assassination. Honestly, in that crowd that day there were a few folks who did not adhere to his principles, but those who did made an impact that 'shouted down' the acts of a few ignorant individuals. People across our country and the world took notice of what Dr. King was doing.

In my opinion sitting out a practice (which, had I been one there, I would have wanted to do just to get out of practice for a day...lol) probably made the players feel good about their effort, but the truth is that hardly anyone noticed.... In my opinion, every player of every team, pro or amateur, in America could boycott a season and very little of their stated or unstated goals for change would be reached. The pros, in particular, don't have the cache' of a man like Dr. King. Too many of them are just plain ole hypocrites....for one, the one who calls himself 'King".

I am an 80 year old, Class of '62, retiree who loves sports, especially our Bulldogs, and I am holding on to hope that I will get to see another season play out. My fear, though, is that what is being expressed by pros and amateurs alike is just emotion with little to no constructive content. The result could be that 'fandom' will finally say 'enough' and college sports, especially, will be diminished to the point that many young adults will lose out on any opportunity to break free from sad environments back home...

Just my thoughts, and if you have read this, you are indeed a gentleman and a scholar and I appreciate you.

chef dixon
08-28-2020, 04:44 PM
I appreciate the response. I agree that those are the proper avenues to make change, although it's a slow process. Dr. King's work is admirable and his dedication to peace was really amazing. The tough thing to swallow about that is that despite his peaceful values, he was criticized as a "Marxist" by some and ultimately killed.

I think a lot of teams have done some team voter registration and some programs in the community. Main problem is results in that manner take patience.

Again, appreciate the response. Hopeful one day everyone can find a way to make it work together.

Lord McBuckethead
08-29-2020, 08:58 AM
I agree old joe. But i will add that the rhetoric surrounding the protest for 4 years now has been horrific. It really has reminded me and has the undertones of what was happening and being said during Kings time and the fight for the civil rights bill. Dr. King worked hard to keep his protest peaceful and bring about change, but he was vilified by the establishment. Same for this scenario, in my opinion. Kaep peacefully protest, and that wasn't acceptable. So it saddens me to not see Christians not fully supporting the protesters 100%.

Now with that being said. Here are a few things that the people that are fighting against police brutality are missing. If they were to also start pushing this as their focus, they would win over even some of the bigots.

1. Black people need to acknowledge that their communities are both more likely to die at the hands of cops, but also acknowledge that they break the law at a higher clip also per capita. There is a reason that the police are always in their neighborhood.

2. During every single one of their events, BLM people should be the ones protecting and barracading local businesses to stop the dumbasses from rioting. They should be taking that responsibility and 100% condeming all violent action.

3. They also need to have a gigantic PR campaign to end their community tragic missteps of not following law enforcement directions and commands. Every single black church should be talking about this. Black parebts should be talking about this. On and on and on.

That way, when George Floyd happens, they have a leg to stand on. Too often the person "attacked" by the police was not following commands of the officer. All citizens have this responsibility. There is next to zero chance of a person winning a fight in the streets against a cop. It just isn't going to happen. A gun will be drawn eventually. And then tragedy happens.

BLM needs to be championing this discussion. Until then, a large portion of the country is going to see them as a joke.

Extendedcab
08-29-2020, 09:48 AM
I agree old joe. But i will add that the rhetoric surrounding the protest for 4 years now has been horrific. It really has reminded me and has the undertones of what was happening and being said during Kings time and the fight for the civil rights bill. Dr. King worked hard to keep his protest peaceful and bring about change, but he was vilified by the establishment. Same for this scenario, in my opinion. Kaep peacefully protest, and that wasn't acceptable. So it saddens me to not see Christians not fully supporting the protesters 100%.

Now with that being said. Here are a few things that the people that are fighting against police brutality are missing. If they were to also start pushing this as their focus, they would win over even some of the bigots.

1. Black people need to acknowledge that their communities are both more likely to die at the hands of cops, but also acknowledge that they break the law at a higher clip also per capita. There is a reason that the police are always in their neighborhood.

2. During every single one of their events, BLM people should be the ones protecting and barracading local businesses to stop the dumbasses from rioting. They should be taking that responsibility and 100% condeming all violent action.

3. They also need to have a gigantic PR campaign to end their community tragic missteps of not following law enforcement directions and commands. Every single black church should be talking about this. Black parebts should be talking about this. On and on and on.

That way, when George Floyd happens, they have a leg to stand on. Too often the person "attacked" by the police was not following commands of the officer. All citizens have this responsibility. There is next to zero chance of a person winning a fight in the streets against a cop. It just isn't going to happen. A gun will be drawn eventually. And then tragedy happens.

BLM needs to be championing this discussion. Until then, a large portion of the country is going to see them as a joke.

You don't seem to know the difference between BLM as a sentence and BLM as a movement. See the long read below - sorry for the length but this explains BLM very well.

GUEST COLUMN, Larry Phillips, Kismet

“‘Black lives matter,’ taken as a sentence, is profoundly true. But it’s not that simple. ‘Black Lives Matter’ did not emerge merely as a sentence. Those three words function as a message and a platform making a significant political statement – one guided by Marxist ideology that seeks to revolutionize our culture and society.”

— R. Albert Mohler, Jr.

Those words describe the paradox currently confusing (or purposely indoctrinating) the American public. Mohler wrote those words in a piece posted June 18 at www.thepublicdiscourse.com under the title: “Black Lives Matter: Affirm the Sentence, Not the Movement.”

It is a highly recommended read, especially for those who don’t know the enormously glaring difference between the sentence and the movement.

In Mohler’s article, he points out disturbing affirmations on the Black Lives Matter website.

“We are guided by the fact that all black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression,” one begins, whereupon the original founders (three women) go on to unfurl an emerging theme.

“We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead. We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk,” BLM posted.

“In this affirmation,” the post continued. “The Black Lives Matter Global Network adopts and promotes the entire worldview of the sexual revolution, which seeks to liberate humanity from the oppressive chains of biological gender.”

“They seek to ‘foster a queer-affirming network,’” Mohler wrote.

But that’s only the beginning of the BLM radical beliefs. Mohler exposes the groups’ desire to destroy and eliminate the traditional nuclear family.

“We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered,” BLM posted. “We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and ‘villages’ that collectively care for one another.”

Mohler points out his observations of the BLM founders thusly.

“These statements, definitions, and policy demands are saturated in a Marxist ideology, promoting an intersectional worldview that is fundamentally subversive and destructive,” Mohler wrote. “Black Lives Matter operates from a worldview that undercuts human dignity. It sees each person’s identity as determined by externally imposed social structures, which are in turn determined by the human desire to seize power and oppress others. Such identity politics entangles human identity in subjective, materialist terms.

“The Movement for Black Lives, by contrast, seeks to dismantle the foundations of American civilization,” he concluded.

Anne Sorock of Frontier Lab (now the Frontier Center) conducted a study of Black Lives Matter activists titled “The Privileged and the Oppressed,” a deep-dive market-research investigation into how BLM was (is) at its essence a conduit for what she called “Progressives’ latest narrative.” She released this study in 2016 after extensive interviews of BLM activists.

The study can be downloaded at www.newamericanfrontier.org.

Here in sum are some of the report’s major findings:

• Black Lives Matter’s core message is built upon, depends upon, and has as its ultimate goal, the larger retelling of the American story as one of oppression and racism.

• The police, as representatives of the state, must be framed as exemplifying the Black Lives Matter framing by being themselves oppressive and racist.

• Black Lives Matter frames their cause as one against a systemic problem and necessarily utterly rejects the “one bad apple” counterargument.

• BLM relies upon the elevation and equating of other underprivileged groups to a status “just as oppressed” as Black America in order to build a narrative of an America divided into the “Oppressed and the Privileged.”

• Supporters of BLM, for the most part, have moved on from desiring to silence dissent through amending free-speech laws; instead, Black Lives Matter (1) pressures authorities to do it for them, (2) creates an atmosphere of intimidation through threats of violence and shows of force, and (3) incorporates a culture of self-censorship in which those with “privilege” have a lesser voice than the oppressed.

This is from BLM co-founder Opal Tometi in 2013 discussing the New York City Police Department:

“The New York City government was saying that it was going to allocate $100 million for 1,000 new police officers. And here I am, a BLM co-founder, on the heels of the murder of Eric Garner, thinking to myself, ‘How are these people going to unleash even more police officers in our communities, when clearly we are seeing that enough is enough?’” she said. “This overpolicing of largely poor communities, which are largely people of color because poverty is racialized in this country, means that we are the ones interacting with law enforcement more. And with all this racial bias, of course, we see this brutality and these murders.”

She actually blames police brutality on too many cops in poor neighborhoods rife with crime – police trying to save lives of people of color. Unbelievable.

Remarkably, all this garbage has been swallowed by college and professional sports – as well as numerous major corporations.

The NFL players, coaches and sideline staff are now being encouraged to kneel during our nation’s National Anthem, right after standing for the singing of the Black National Anthem first.

How unifying is that?

The NBA announced that when the league begins its shortened 2020 season on July 30, players will have the option to replace their name on their jersey with a “social justice” statement.

Of the 29 accepted statements the players voted for, “Black Lives Matter” was No. 1. “All Lives Matter” didn’t even make the list.

We have a mixed race college football player – from Canada no less – saying he’ll boycott the season because his coach wore a T-shirt during a fishing trip, and the player didn’t like it. I’m not kidding. The coach was brutally attacked.

The coach then took a $1 million pay cut and succumbed to the mob and agreed to genuflect to his administrators who are forcing him into a BLM “re-education camp,” much like the Nazis had in the 1940s – or like the communist Chinese still do today.

Another “oppressed” Texas Longhorn player threatened to sit it out because he wants the university to establish more re-education camps, I guess.

I say pull thier scholarhsip and ban them from their respective campuses forever.

I will not watch the NFL or the NBA. The players were hired to play a game, not push their communist drool.

BLM?

One a sentence, the other – terrorists, with a Marxist agenda.

BiscuitEater
08-29-2020, 12:49 PM
Again, appreciate the response. Hopeful one day everyone can find a way to make it work together.

There have been 2694, mostly blacks, shot in Chicago and there are still 4 months left in the year!

NBA has stopped exactly zero seconds to show their support! Sorry, this protest has nothing to do with saving black lives!

GreenheadDawg
08-29-2020, 05:24 PM
There have been 2694, mostly blacks, shot in Chicago and there are still 4 months left in the year!

NBA has stopped exactly zero seconds to show their support! Sorry, this protest has nothing to do with saving black lives!
Bingo. Absolutely nothing.

R2Dawg
08-29-2020, 09:00 PM
You don't seem to know the difference between BLM as a sentence and BLM as a movement. See the long read below - sorry for the length but this explains BLM very well.

GUEST COLUMN, Larry Phillips, Kismet

??Black lives matter,? taken as a sentence, is profoundly true. But it?s not that simple. ?Black Lives Matter? did not emerge merely as a sentence. Those three words function as a message and a platform making a significant political statement ? one guided by Marxist ideology that seeks to revolutionize our culture and society.?

? R. Albert Mohler, Jr.

There is no difference. Of course black lives matter as do all other lives per the gospel of Jesus Christ. Jonathan Isaac stood on that truth. The only people I see saying that some lives don't matter are the left wing which includes BLM and the lives that don't matter are anyone's but their own. There is no difference in BLM the saying and BLM the political organization. Thousands of black lives and other lives are lost in many different injustices but no one seems to care. The political narrative is all that matters.