PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Stevens getting some love

msstate7
08-28-2020, 12:34 PM
No disrespect to rookie 3rd round pick TE Adam Trautman, who has had a pleasant start to camp, but Stevens is one of the early training camp darlings. A 7th round pick who played QB at Mississippi State, Stevens has drawn comparisons to New Orleans star Taysom Hill because of his versatility and athleticism. The Saints moved Stevens to TE to better use his athletic skills, and he has earned praise from Brees, several teammates, and Head Coach Sean Payton for how quickly he?s learning the position.

Stevens still has an uphill battle to earn a roster spot at a TE position with Pro Bowler Jared Cook, Trautman, and veteran Josh Hill, who is currently sidelined by injury. With Hill out, Stevens has taken advantage of the extra reps and is developing quickly. If he continues to impress, he could force the coaches to find a place on the active roster to start the year, just as Taysom Hill did in 2017.

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/editorial-opinion/saints-camp-offense-thumbs-up-down?fbclid=IwAR2qpXY2L6LCbEn2OVV8mGCVbUdJ3cQgLryU 2-kMHoisE2aSyTp4U1dgwDA

MrCoachKlein
08-28-2020, 12:50 PM
I think he's going to make it at least this year. If they put him on the practice squad, they know Carolina will sign him (Joe Brady - PSU connection). That's why they traded back into the 7th to draft him.

He's made some good catches from the twitter vids of practice. His athleticism is apparent. Needs to work on blocking and routes from what I hear. Josh Hill doesn't really play the same spot as Stevens. I think right now they view him as a split end TE instead of an inline TE like Josh. More 'competing' with Cook and Taysom. Trautman they drafted as a guy that could take over Josh's role inline and split out at times.

MedDawg
08-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Who knew that Tommy Stevens was the only player on State's 2019 team who could catch passes?

MrCoachKlein
08-28-2020, 02:41 PM
Definitely not JoMo