PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Freshmen - Non Pitchers

The Federalist Engineer
08-28-2020, 12:18 PM
I'm trying to summon a hot take from Todd, Shotgun or Coach

Outside of Kellum Clark...who do we think can snag a starting position next year?

The most MSU baseball thing to happen is for the less heralded recruits to pull a Mangum, Rowdey, or Foscue as Freshman. Take the bull by the horns.

MsStateBaseball
08-28-2020, 02:58 PM
Coaches really like OF Austin Reed. They think he has great potential. MIF Davis Meche is a lot like Mangum. QB on HS football team. Very athletic. Switch hitter. OF Corbin Grantham is just like Meche.

AlSwearengen
08-28-2020, 03:01 PM
I’m not as informed as those others but the infield is probably sewn up, assuming Clark can take the 3B job. I’m keeping an eye on Brayland Skinner making a run at the CF job.

Homedawg
08-28-2020, 04:27 PM
Coaches really like OF Austin Reed. They think he has great potential. MIF Davis Meche is a lot like Mangum. QB on HS football team. Very athletic. Switch hitter. OF Corbin Grantham is just like Meche.

Corbin can really run. It he's not ready to step in and play offensively.

Todd4State
08-28-2020, 05:13 PM
My hot take is we're not going to see any other than Kellum because we return a lot. The transfer second baseman from Jacksonville Scott Debrule should start there. I could maybe see Meche if Debrule struggles at second base.

Todd4State
08-28-2020, 05:14 PM
I’m not as informed as those others but the infield is probably sewn up, assuming Clark can take the 3B job. I’m keeping an eye on Brayland Skinner making a run at the CF job.

I think it will be Rowdey in CF with Tanner Allen and Pimentel at the other spots in the outfield. I think Landon Jordan plays DH.

Hambone
08-28-2020, 05:52 PM
If it is indeed Pimentel I hope he has a very short hook. Get experience for a freshman at that position if those stats are similar to last year

Homedawg
08-28-2020, 06:37 PM
My hot take is we're not going to see any other than Kellum because we return a lot. The transfer second baseman from Jacksonville Scott Debrule should start there. I could maybe see Meche if Debrule struggles at second base.

They like forsythe as well... but I don't see either of the two true fr starting... middle guys that is.

Homedawg
08-28-2020, 06:38 PM
If it is indeed Pimentel I hope he has a very short hook. Get experience for a freshman at that position if those stats are similar to last year

It was a very short season. Guy can hit. Imagine if we had such a short leash w Brett pirlte....

hp22
08-28-2020, 07:01 PM
It was a very short season. Guy can hit. Imagine if we had such a short leash w Brett pirlte....

I am optimistic about what Pimentel can do. He was aggressive and end bad spots as a hitter in the limited season we had. But the ball does jump off his bat. I think he can be a huge weapon if he puts it together. He has left handed gap and homerun power.

Todd4State
08-28-2020, 07:18 PM
They like forsythe as well... but I don't see either of the two true fr starting... middle guys that is.

I don't either. Kamren James and Dubrule are our starting MIF. We really shouldn't have to start both of them unless we have injuries which hopefully doesn't happen.

I am optimistic about what Pimentel can do. He was aggressive and end bad spots as a hitter in the limited season we had. But the ball does jump off his bat. I think he can be a huge weapon if he puts it together. He has left handed gap and homerun power.

One thing about Pimentel is because the season got cut shot he didn't really have a chance to make a full adjustment to college pitching. Most JUCO guys take at least half a season or more (MacNamee) to make that adjustment. If he struggles we have Cumbest, Skinner, McGowan, and others we can look at among others.

MsStateBaseball
08-28-2020, 07:41 PM
If Pimentel can?t hit LHP?s then look for a RH to hit. I was hoping we could get a transfer from a D1 but I don?t see one.

The Federalist Engineer
08-28-2020, 09:18 PM

Interesting choice on the great Brett Pirtle. Cheating and looking at his stats he went 6-for-35 in his first 20 games of his 1st season. He started only 8 of the first 20 games, Pre-SEC . Went 0-for-4 vs LSU in the first SEC game. He ended up hitting 310 for the season and 336 in the SEC.

But before we credit Cohen for patience, he benched him a lot. Also .171 with the dead bat is like 221 with the current bat.

Also, it’s helped that Bretts competition never stepped up. Kyle Hann and Darryl Norris were solid sub Mendoza. Matt Britton was a career 250. Also, Brett was a switch hitter and only had 22Ks in 70 games. BP even hit above decently well in the minors.

If Cumbest, Skinner, Leggett, or Landon Jordan don’t start hitting, Pimentel is indeed still in the game.

MsStateBaseball
08-28-2020, 11:05 PM
The one I was impressed with last fall when I saw him was CF Kyte McDonald. He was going to play last spring but most likely RS now. He is fast and looked like he could hit although not a power hitter. He could be in the running for LF if Pimentel falters.

Homedawg
08-29-2020, 09:19 AM
Kyte is a non scholarship guy and didn't make 35 man roster.(which in itself, isn't necessarily bad) and will have to make a jump to make the roster. But he could. Someone always does.

MsStateBaseball
08-29-2020, 09:39 AM
Obviously, with Foscue and Westburg gone, we need some big RH bats. I?m excited about Kamren being a power guy. And Logan Tanner. We really need Cumbest to take a major role. Beyond that, I really wish we got a new guy who is a power hitter from the right side.

Homedawg
08-29-2020, 09:48 AM
Cumbest swings and misses too much.