PDA

View Full Version : BIG 10 Decision

SteelCurtain74
08-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Interesting article why BIG 10 thought they had all of the other conferences on board to cancel football and what caused their plan to fall apart.

https://www.si.com/.amp-michigan/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-wolverines-jim-harbaugh-warde-manuel-big-ten-2020-season-postponement-cancelation?__twitter_impression=true

From the article
"While there wasn't a uniformed agreement between Power 5 power-brokers, our sources both in Chicago and Ann Arbor said the expectation was that once the Big Ten made its announcement, the Pac 12 would immediately follow (as it did) and then the ACC would follow suit too, putting tremendous pressure on the SEC and Big 12. The Big 12 would go next, and then the SEC, with nothing left to play for, would reluctantly give in."

RocketDawg
08-27-2020, 07:21 PM
Looks like the Big 10 misjudged their power over others.

Maroonthirteen
08-27-2020, 07:34 PM
If the AAC, CUSA and Sunbelt all play opening weekend, I'd say the SEC screwed up too by limiting themselves to conference only games.

Jack Lambert
08-27-2020, 07:36 PM
If the AAC, CUSA and Sunbelt all play opening weekend, I'd say the SEC screwed up too by limiting themselves to conference only games.

Whats crazy if there are bowl games you could have four win teams playing in them.

Todd4State
08-28-2020, 08:51 AM

I can see that argument however the SEC had some OOC games with Big 10 and PAC 12 teams that would have had to have been filled. Also delaying the season may give more people a chance to go of things improve.

ShotgunDawg
08-28-2020, 09:28 AM
My guess is that the Big10 never attempts this again. They’ve been drug threw the coal & it’s no one’s fault but their own

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-28-2020, 10:40 AM
It political. Political ads are being run blaming another side for empty stadiums. Now, Big 10 thinking of starting in November....after the election.

SteelCurtain74
08-28-2020, 10:45 AM
It political. Political ads are being run blaming another side for empty stadiums. Now, Big 10 thinking of starting in November....after the election.

Yep. What they are doing is akin to trying to polish a turd at this point. Their decision will affect them for a while if the other conferences are able to pull off football this fall.

ShotgunDawg
08-28-2020, 11:40 AM

Completely embarrassing. They’ve lost more influence in this than they have in the late 100 years combined

Jack Lambert
08-28-2020, 11:47 AM

This is why our three schools in the state will end up having more than 25% capacity. There is going to be pressure on Reeves to allow more in. I think if things keep getting better they will open the sitting more. Doesn't look like State is in any hurry to assign seating. Listening to Matt yesterday they are talking about it. He said that there was a chance they would increase the number allowed in.

Cooterpoot
08-28-2020, 12:04 PM
Rumor- Seating will end up at 30-50% plus the premium seats.

MrCoachKlein
08-28-2020, 12:54 PM
So they admit to trying to ruin the season for everyone. Their commish is a joke. Too dangerous for kids to make their own decisions, but still letting his son play TE for us. To me that screams that this was a political decision.

Lord McBuckethead
08-28-2020, 12:57 PM

Isn't the entire area of the B10 Trump zones from 2016? I would just add, most things are political, I don't really see the B10s issues as being political. They saw the potential liability and decided not to do it.

Jack Lambert
08-28-2020, 12:57 PM

If that's the case I will probably get my two tickets. At 25% my priority isn't good enough.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-28-2020, 01:08 PM
They are Trump states which would prove the point.

Jack Lambert
08-28-2020, 01:15 PM
Isn't the entire area of the B10 Trump zones from 2016? I would just add, most things are political, I don't really see the B10s issues as being political. They saw the potential liability and decided not to do it.

Only three of the States are run by Republican Governors. The others are either blue states or newly purple states. They are run by Democratic Governors, That's where the problem rises. Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin are in play for both political parties.

FISHDAWG
08-28-2020, 01:17 PM
And now the Big-10 is trying to find a way to start on Thanksgiving per an ESPN article .... any bets on them screwing that one up too ? Article didn't mention anything about the PAC-12https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1299377192862973953

RocketCityDawg
08-28-2020, 01:18 PM
They are Trump states which would prove the point.

No. The leadership in most of these states is far left. The people don't make these decisions. The leadership does.

Jack Lambert
08-28-2020, 01:53 PM
And now the Big-10 is trying to find a way to start on Thanksgiving per an ESPN article .... any bets on them screwing that one up too ? Article didn't mention anything about the PAC-12https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1299377192862973953

If they are going to do it they should do it no later than middle October.

HailStateSZN19
08-28-2020, 02:02 PM

Do you mean end up at 30-50% by the start of the season or that's about the max it will get up to throughout the season? I'm assuming that % can and will change based on how states are doing?

FISHDAWG
08-28-2020, 02:25 PM
If they are going to do it they should do it no later than middle October.

I hope they start AFTER the NC game ... it would serve them right and i'm sure their tears would sweeten the trophy

Mobile Bay
08-28-2020, 02:40 PM

That late a start will still put them close to or past the NFL draft, meaning we will have JV games.

Mobile Bay
08-28-2020, 02:41 PM
So they admit to trying to ruin the season for everyone. Their commish is a joke. Too dangerous for kids to make their own decisions, but still letting his son play TE for us. To me that screams that this was a political decision.

Word I heard was the true vote was 6-8 to play. Six Big 10 schools are in states with republican governors, 8 are in states with democrats.

Just sayin.

MrCoachKlein
08-28-2020, 02:42 PM
What's the point of starting after Thanksgiving? No chance at bowls/championship...assuming those happen.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-28-2020, 02:49 PM
The Big 10 is being sued by parents for information. They don?t want to turn it over. They?re scrambling

Todd4State
08-28-2020, 07:22 PM
What's the point of starting after Thanksgiving? No chance at bowls/championship...assuming those happen.

Election will be over by that time.

Who knows about the championship? I wouldn't be surprised if they start the season sooner than they want to because of that. The other thing to think of is they could certainly postpone the championship playoffs until later in January. Bowl may be based on the tie in if they even happen.

Anyway- the Big 10 being likely to come back is big news. Can't wait to laugh at the media when it happens. Of course they won't own up to being wrong.

SteelCurtain74
08-28-2020, 08:10 PM
Now the Pac 12 is starting to reconsider. A 6 game schedule like this article suggests is ridiculous.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLA-Bruins-Football-Pac-12-Plans-for-Six-Game-Winter-Football-Season--150792368/

Jack Lambert
08-28-2020, 09:01 PM

Again they are thinking they are powerful enough to make the other p5 start later if they do.

Todd4State
08-28-2020, 10:45 PM
Again they are thinking they are powerful enough to make the other p5 start later if they do.

Nah. They know the other conferences aren't going to do that. Heck- C-USA isn't even going to do that. They're in salvage mode at this point.