PDA

View Full Version : Where are the insiders

hopsondawg22
08-27-2020, 04:45 PM
There?s a rumor floating around Starkville and I?m surprised it hasn?t made its way here.

VandelayIndustries
08-27-2020, 04:48 PM
How about you tell us

Hambone
08-27-2020, 04:57 PM
It’s only half true.

Virgil Caine
08-27-2020, 04:58 PM
Is this what you?re referring to? https://mobile.twitter.com/PJ247Sports/status/1299100073129897984

Anyone have any details?

Lord McBuckethead
08-27-2020, 05:01 PM
Good for them. But I guess as quiet as this has been, this demonstration isn't worth it. I mean, if you are going to do this, you better be out there publicizing that you are striking. Otherwise, does a tree that falls in a forest make a sound if no one hears it?

bostondawg
08-27-2020, 05:15 PM
Players are tweeting about it.

Todd4State
08-27-2020, 05:25 PM
Here's the thing ALL athletes need to remember. No matter what sport or what team. If they choose not to play these sports leagues will find people that will play because they are out there and will be very happy for the opportunity. And yes, fans will cheer those players because we cheer for the name on the front not the back.

Just typical athlete arrogance. I watch to see the CARDINALS or the BULLDOGS play. I don't watch sports to watch this specific player. Now I certainly have players I like to watch but when Albert Pujols left the Cardinals I didn't become an Angels fan. I still pull for the Cardinals.

Hell, I'm glad Dexter Fowler sat out last night because the guy that replaced him got the key hit to tie the game and debatably should be playing over him anyway.

And another thing- if they REALLY thought that protesting was going to eliminate all of the world's problems- they need to get a dose of reality. Because right or wrong there are good and bad people out there and people do the wrong things sometimes. And no amount of looting is going to EVER stop that. All you can do is control yourself and do as much right as you can.

\rant over

Hambone
08-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Isn’t this what Moorhead did when he took them to the water park?

bostondawg
08-27-2020, 05:40 PM
@OP, please update the thread title and first post to provide more details. I'm sure lots of people are confused. This could be a hot topic thread so make sure it's high quality.

HancockCountyDog
08-27-2020, 05:42 PM
@OP, please update the thread title and first post to provide more details. I'm sure lots of people are confused. This could be a hot topic thread so make sure it's high quality.

My recommendation is to lock it, there is no way this thread will end well.

Jarius
08-27-2020, 05:48 PM
Here's the thing ALL athletes need to remember. No matter what sport or what team. If they choose not to play these sports leagues will find people that will play because they are out there and will be very happy for the opportunity. And yes, fans will cheer those players because we cheer for the name on the front not the back.

Just typical athlete arrogance. I watch to see the CARDINALS or the BULLDOGS play. I don't watch sports to watch this specific player. Now I certainly have players I like to watch but when Albert Pujols left the Cardinals I didn't become an Angels fan. I still pull for the Cardinals.

Hell, I'm glad Dexter Fowler sat out last night because the guy that replaced him got the key hit to tie the game and debatably should be playing over him anyway.

And another thing- if they REALLY thought that protesting was going to eliminate all of the world's problems- they need to get a dose of reality. Because right or wrong there are good and bad people out there and people do the wrong things sometimes. And no amount of looting is going to EVER stop that. All you can do is control yourself and do as much right as you can.

\rant over

Players are using their leverage to do these type of things. Until fans stop paying to watch them play or watching them on TV it won’t do anything but get worse. I will be calling in the morning to opt out of my tickets that I originally opted in for. I don’t know if I will be allowed to do that or not. It’s already going to be a subpar game day experience and I can use that money elsewhere. If things continue down this road I will eventually completely stop watching sports. I’ve already stopped watching the nba and MLB. It’s tougher with football because it’s my favorite sport but I won’t continue to cheer for people who embarrass me. I don’t imagine anyone will really care but it doesn’t mean I have to continue to put up with it.

Homedawg
08-27-2020, 05:53 PM
They are boycotting against themselves... smh

confucius say
08-27-2020, 06:00 PM
Nothing wrong with calling attention to social injustice and racial issues. I'm sure practice will resume tomorrow

I just hope they aren't doing this over Jacob Blake. That would be a strange reason to protest.

Homedawg
08-27-2020, 06:12 PM
Nothing wrong with calling attention to social injustice and racial issues. I'm sure practice will resume tomorrow

I just hope they aren't doing this over Jacob Blake. That would be a strange reason to protest.

Well why do you think they are doing it if Blake has nothing to do with it???

confucius say
08-27-2020, 06:30 PM
Well why do you think they are doing it if Blake has nothing to do with it???

I have no idea what they are doing. Would love the opportunity to ask them though and have a real dialogue about bigger picture issues. I would hope they are informed about the facts of the Blake situation. I hope our coaches and administrators are doing just that.

Commercecomet24
08-27-2020, 06:36 PM
It was about Blake. Not everyone was on board with the boycott either.

MarcoRubio
08-27-2020, 06:42 PM
I?m not going to work tomorrow. Boycotting that shat. Did my employer have anything to do with a dude getting shot in Wisconsin? Hell no. Does that matter? Hell no.

I?m gone teach somebody a lesson though.

Seriously, 17 sports. I?m at an all time low for interest. Squarely on the fence of saying 17 it and moving on. Slight breeze in that direction and I?m out. Only thing holding me in at the moment is my kids love for all things MSU. That?s wavering.

Liberals ruin everything they touch. They are a disease.

Dawgface
08-27-2020, 06:44 PM

And not all fans are on board with this crap either. I'm close to being done with all sports.

Thick
08-27-2020, 06:48 PM
Why doesn?t all of the black communities boycott the senseless killings in Chicago?

This site is freaking awesome:

heyjackass.com

Real time murder stats for Chicago. It?s unreal how detailed this site is, and they add little humor to it as well. If you are a human being, regardless of color, you cannot help but question what the hell is going on!!

Dawgology
08-27-2020, 06:48 PM

Lol for real? Dude had a knife, resisted arrest, and was going to his car to get his weapon. There’s going to be a lot of silence when the body cam is released in about a week.

Commercecomet24
08-27-2020, 06:53 PM
Lol for real? Dude had a knife, resisted arrest, and was going to his car to get his weapon. There’s going to be a lot of silence when the body cam is released in about a week.

I guess it's more accurate to say our players boycotting was triggered by the boycotts from others because of the Blake shooting. They weren't wearing body cams but the audio has been released. He had a knife and was going to his car to get something else and I don't think it was an ice cream cone.

Matt3467
08-27-2020, 06:57 PM

I read a report earlier that the department there didn't have bodycams. Thank goodness for the cellphone footage we do have or else the narrative would be very easy to spin. Hopefully this teaches them to get bodycams.

vv83
08-27-2020, 06:58 PM

\rant over

Yikes. That was a painful read

Dawgology
08-27-2020, 06:59 PM
I guess it's more accurate to say our players boycotting was triggered by the boycotts from others because of the Blake shooting. They weren't wearing body cams but the audio has been released. He had a knife and was going to his car to get something else and I don't think it was an ice cream cone.

It?s my understanding that there is a body cam or some type of camera footage that is available but hasn?t been released yet. Perhaps it?s a dash cam.

Dawgology
08-27-2020, 07:01 PM
Additionally, if he had a knife and he isn’t complying and he brandishing said knife those officers should be commended for their restraint because most would have smoked him as soon as he pulled and brandished the knife.

Matt3467
08-27-2020, 07:01 PM
My recommendation is to lock it, there is no way this thread will end well.

I get the mods desire to ban political speech on elitedawgs. ED is and has always been at it's best without it, but that's unfortunately not the state of sports today. It's been creeping in for a while, but politics are unfortunately interjected with sports now. You can't run from it forever by locking threads and banning anyone that speaks about it.

Matt3467
08-27-2020, 07:08 PM
Players are using their leverage to do these type of things. Until fans stop paying to watch them play or watching them on TV it won?t do anything but get worse. I will be calling in the morning to opt out of my tickets that I originally opted in for. I don?t know if I will be allowed to do that or not. It?s already going to be a subpar game day experience and I can use that money elsewhere. If things continue down this road I will eventually completely stop watching sports. I?ve already stopped watching the nba and MLB. It?s tougher with football because it?s my favorite sport but I won?t continue to cheer for people who embarrass me. I don?t imagine anyone will really care but it doesn?t mean I have to continue to put up with it.

My feelings too.

Extendedcab
08-27-2020, 07:10 PM

\rant over

This is why I no longer watch pro sports. They do not apply their outrage evenly across the spectrum. It is only applies to blacks that are killed and not whites or any other color. It is all a bad thing, people being killed by police, but some people do put themselves in harms way by resisting arrest or pulling a weapon on the police. These athletes do not seem to care about that, it is a sound bite world and they are playing to its fullest.

I will not watch pro-sports until this crap is over! If college level start this, I will not watch them either - sad to say!

Extendedcab
08-27-2020, 07:11 PM
Yikes. That was a painful read

His post was spot on - thanks Todd!

BeardoMSU
08-27-2020, 07:15 PM
Lets not let this thread devolve into a screenshot fest that the players will see. Nothing good will come of that.

Bothrops
08-27-2020, 07:18 PM
If I had been that guy and was ignoring the commands of the police, I would have expected to get shot once I leaned inside my vehicle. But that's just me, I guess.

RocketDawg
08-27-2020, 07:19 PM
It?s my understanding that there is a body cam or some type of camera footage that is available but hasn?t been released yet. Perhaps it?s a dash cam.

I hope there is some additional video, be it bodycams or dashcam video. Anything that helps understand the situation, either way, would be desirable. But first reports at least said the department couldn't afford bodycams and therefore did not have any.

Jarius
08-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Lets not let this thread devolve into a screenshot fest that the players will see. Nothing good will come of that.

At some point people will cease to be sports cucks. This mentality of worshipping a bunch of clueless 18 year olds is getting pathetic.

TrapGame
08-27-2020, 07:23 PM
Son of a bitch.

We were doing so well around here.

Getting along. Feeling the football season jitters. Now this.

Commercecomet24
08-27-2020, 07:23 PM

No body cams but 2 cellphone videos from 2 different views. The Wisconsin DOJ just released the information that blake was armed with a knife and admitted to it.

Maroonthirteen
08-27-2020, 07:30 PM

Hahaha. (Redacted) gonna get upset. I see he is really good at bitching people out on Facebook

Cooterpoot
08-27-2020, 07:35 PM
I don't care if they protest. I started to protest over JoMo last year myself.

chef dixon
08-27-2020, 07:35 PM
You all might as well jump off the wagon now because we are never going to have football players here that agree with you on these issues

redstickdawg
08-27-2020, 07:40 PM
No body cams but 2 cellphone videos from 2 different views. The Wisconsin DOJ just released the information that blake was armed with a knife and admitted to it.

not to mention that he was being arrested for raping a 13 year old and had threatened his wife. I am amazed that this is who players are supporting, amazed!

oldjoedawg
08-27-2020, 07:44 PM
You all might as well jump off the wagon now because we are never going to have football players here that agree with you on these issues

Here's the real point.....no one is saying we all have to agree...players, coaches, fans will always disagree on many things.... What the players are doing is not the best way they can make their points about racial issues. I certainly hope they are able to sort through all of the killings that are going on all over the country and realize that there is a much larger issue than just police vs minorities.

I keep reminding myself at age 80, these are young adults...highly emotional...with little experience in living, or making mature judgments regarding the most effective way to make needed changes.

Cooterpoot
08-27-2020, 07:44 PM
not to mention that he was being arrested for raping a 13 year old and had threatened his wife. I am amazed that this is who players are supporting, amazed!

That's not true. It wasn't a teen. It was his wife or gf. He sexually assaulted her and beat her up.

Commercecomet24
08-27-2020, 07:51 PM
I don't care if they protest. I started to protest over JoMo last year myself.

I thought we did protest him last year, lol!

Jarius
08-27-2020, 07:52 PM

If that happened there would be no wagon for athletes to ride on and they completely lose their “voice” because a large portion of people that pay for their “voice” would disappear along with their money. There is a happy medium where people will accept athletes having a different opinion than they have without it being crammed down their throat. They are rapidly approaching “I’m gonna spend my time And money elsewhere” territory with their current strategy. I feel bad for the players on our team that were forced to go along with this charade for fear of being ostracized by their teammates.

chef dixon
08-27-2020, 07:58 PM
Here's the real point.....no one is saying we all have to agree...players, coaches, fans will always disagree on many things.... What the players are doing is not the best way they can make their points about racial issues. I certainly hope they are able to sort through all of the killings that are going on all over the country and realize that there is a much larger issue than just police vs minorities.

I keep reminding myself at age 80, these are young adults...highly emotional...with little experience in living, or making mature judgments regarding the most effective way to make needed changes.

What is the best way to do it? I really am curious as to what you would suggest. Certainly shutting up and playing does nothing more than keep business going as usual. It keeps the majority of the fans, who have never had to worry about the matter at hand, in their comfort zone. If this kind of protest pushes you further away, you're never going to meet eye to eye anyway.

Edit: I realize the Blake case will be used to discount today's protest in particular, but this whole movement is clearly bigger than just this one instance at this point.

BiscuitEater
08-27-2020, 08:00 PM
Where to begin? New coaches, third group in just over three Years, completely missed 'spring', totally new systems.. both offense and defense. Media and coaches pick them next to last just ahead of hogs. Behind from the start ... and then you boycott!

SheltonChoked
08-27-2020, 08:01 PM
Players are using their leverage to do these type of things. Until fans stop paying to watch them play or watching them on TV it won?t do anything but get worse. I will be calling in the morning to opt out of my tickets that I originally opted in for. I don?t know if I will be allowed to do that or not. It?s already going to be a subpar game day experience and I can use that money elsewhere. If things continue down this road I will eventually completely stop watching sports. I?ve already stopped watching the nba and MLB. It?s tougher with football because it?s my favorite sport but I won?t continue to cheer for people who embarrass me. I don?t imagine anyone will really care but it doesn?t mean I have to continue to put up with it.

Bye

redstickdawg
08-27-2020, 08:01 PM
That's not true. It wasn't a teen. It was his wife or gf. He sexually assaulted her and beat her up.

well that makes it ok then, it was only rape of an adult. He's a fine fellow

Jarius
08-27-2020, 08:07 PM
What is the best way to do it? I really am curious as to what you would suggest. Certainly shutting up and playing does nothing more than keep business going as usual. It keeps the majority of the fans, who have never had to worry about the matter at hand, in their comfort zone. If this kind of protest pushes you further away, you're never going to meet eye to eye anyway.

Edit: I realize the Blake case will be used to discount today's protest in particular, but this whole movement is clearly bigger than just this one instance at this point.

The best way to go about doing it? Well that depends on what the end goal is. If it is to completely ruin the sport and “way out” for future generations, forcing this down people’s throats and calling everyone who Disagrees with it a racist is a way to go. We were just off for 6 months and had nothing but BLM and corona shoved down our throat and now with a condensed fall camp after no spring ball we are skipping practice days to protest a rapist arrest resisting criminal who was reaching in a car full of kids for something cops Could not see. This is really happening with a football team in the SEC. If you can’t see how this is outlandish to a large portion of the fanbase then I just can’t help you.

The violence in cities post protest are exponentially worse now than they were prior. It forces police to not be able to do their job correctly, which is exactly what criminals want. So if more violence is what the end goal is, I guess this is also the way to go about it. I can’t tell you what the correct answer is because I don’t know what is most important to these kids. If they don’t want their sport to turn into a club sport that no one watches, they had better change something though. This path is 100% non sustainable for a large portion of their audience.

maroonmania
08-27-2020, 08:25 PM
This is why I no longer watch pro sports. They do not apply their outrage evenly across the spectrum. It is only applies to blacks that are killed and not whites or any other color. It is all a bad thing, people being killed by police, but some people do put themselves in harms way by resisting arrest or pulling a weapon on the police. These athletes do not seem to care about that, it is a sound bite world and they are playing to its fullest.

I will not watch pro-sports until this crap is over! If college level start this, I will not watch them either - sad to say!

Unfortunately, the movement going on is just going to make things worse, not better. Seems to me you've got a BLM movement basically sending the message to a lot of young Blacks to have disdain for police and to have no respect for their authority which leads to things like resisting arrest or pulling a weapon on a policeman. Then you have police officers that are feeling isolated and jumpy out of fear that a black assailant may be ready to try to do him in at any confrontation or encounter. All that does is lead to an itchy trigger finger if there is even the slightest hint that a perp is doing something or THOUGHT to be doing something threatening. Its just a powder keg situation that looks to only get worse. The only Blacks that seem to have real problems with police that I see are ones out breaking the law. And not making excuses for police brutality, but if you don't want them to act with force then just comply with what they ask you to do.

bobtail bob
08-27-2020, 08:32 PM
I?m to the point I feel like half of these athletes , pro and amateur, hate me for the color of my skin and want to see my personal down fall in some way for not agreeing with them. I can?t and won?t get behind that. Let the chips fall where they may. Too many of my forefathers fought for the American ideal. Lawlessness based on lies is the devils work , that?s how I was raised. F em

Cooterpoot
08-27-2020, 08:34 PM
well that makes it ok then, it was only rape of an adult. He's a fine fellow

Never said that. Just pointing out an inaccuracy that I also used before reading more.

R2Dawg
08-27-2020, 08:36 PM

\rant over

True, no one player or group of players are bigger than the team, program or University. Next man up. I'm a Bulldog for life but my support for some of the things happening in sports has and will continue to cause my support to dwindle. Anyone can sit for whatever reason they want but the next one up that has the grit to step up and play, I'll cheer him on.

hopsondawg22
08-27-2020, 08:39 PM
?I?m to the point I feel like half of these athletes , pro and amateur, hate me for the color of my skin and want to see my personal down fall in some way for not agreeing with them. I can?t and won?t get behind that. Let the chips fall where they may. Too many of my forefathers fought for the American ideal. Lawlessness based on lies is the devils work , that?s how I was raised. F em?

More people are waking up to that point. 2020 has only accelerated it.

KOdawg1
08-27-2020, 08:41 PM
I'm all for our guys standing up for social justice and for what's right. I fully support that.

However, what happened in Wisconsin a few days ago doesn't fit that bill. The guy (with a warrant for his arrest) resisted arrest, resisted the taser, resisted multiple opportunities to comply with the officers, and then reached his arm for a knife in his car. When you scream "systemic racism" for every situation involving African Americans and police officers, it starts to lose its effectiveness and takes away from situations that actually warrant it (ie. George Floyd). Again, I fully support our team for standing together. But if they're standing for this guy in Wisconsin, then they're completely misunderstanding the point.

Also, just bc our football team stands for something, doesn't make you a bad person for disagreeing with it. A lot of fans just go with whatever they say just because they're football players for MSU.

redstickdawg
08-27-2020, 08:43 PM
Never said that. Just pointing out an inaccuracy that I also used before reading more.

I was being sarcastic, sorry that I forgot to include the sarcasterics.
For the life of me, in looking at the recent police incidents I haven't found one yet that is an exemplary citizen worthy of praise and emulation. All have been involved in significant crimes and or resisting arrest.

R2Dawg
08-27-2020, 08:44 PM
I?m to the point I feel like half of these athletes , pro and amateur, hate me for the color of my skin and want to see my personal down fall in some way for not agreeing with them. I can?t and won?t get bhind that. Let the chips fall where they may. Too many of my forefathers fought for the American ideal. Lawlessness based on lies is the devils work , that?s how I was raised. F em

True. Look the kneeling is not about social justice. Kneeling is about hating what they think America stands for. Kap said so himself. Yes some kneel for real reasons but they never think about really why, why during anthem? American has and stands for the greatest ideals of any country in world history. Is America perfect, no and it never will be.

Kneeling has not and will not do one thing to solve any wrongs in this world. Everyone has injustices done to them and the facts of the data don't say what they say it says. I guess we can all protest each other to death. So folks will protest the protest and what good does it do?

Folks everywhere need to focus on their own shortomings, look at the log in your own eye not the spec in others. Anyone ever ask why the police are in some of these areas? Not because the want to be, they get called. Why? The evil hearts of men of every creed. Lawlessness gets met with the law and bad things happen. Want to end this, stop the lawlessness. It is that easy.

The only two times they have come near my home was when crime and lawlessness occured against me and my family. When I was encountered by police in a tense situation, I obeyed the law and nothing happened.

bostondawg
08-27-2020, 08:47 PM
It's abundantly clear that MSU has a ton of closed-minded fans. It is what it is. The world is changing, and it will leave you in the dust. So will MSU. Don't be left behind.

Jarius
08-27-2020, 08:52 PM
It's abundantly clear that MSU has a ton of closed-minded fans. It is what it is. The world is changing, and it will leave you in the dust. So will MSU. Don't be left behind.

The world is changing. Ratings for people And companies who are close minded and don’t look at statistics and logic like yourself are facing extremely challenging times. You are the problem to the majority of the country, not me.....the numbers of the “go woke go broke” crowd are loud and clear. You don’t speak for the majority.

R2Dawg
08-27-2020, 08:57 PM

I got news for you, we are all going to be dust and on that day I want to stand on the right side of life issues not the wrong side. There is a right and wrong. The Bible does say the way to destruction is wide and many find it. I take that as a compliment is you say I am in the minority. You better give it some thought. Forever is a long, long time if you are wrong.

bobtail bob
08-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Things aren?t changing. What?s going on now has been happening for thousands of years. It repeats itself over and over with the same result

Bothrops
08-27-2020, 09:13 PM
I support our players, our team. In this particular case a man was shot 7 times. Why 7 times, I don't know. Seems like an overreaction in my opinion, but when you disobey a cop again and again, you put yourself in that gray area where adrenaline is flowing and instincts can takeover. This is a dangerous place to be, but you can avoid this by just complying with instructions, even if you are in the right and they are in the wrong. Live another day, fight for your rights, and make your case.

bostondawg
08-27-2020, 09:33 PM
I got news for you, we are all going to be dust and on that day I want to stand on the right side of life issues not the wrong side. There is a right and wrong. The Bible does say the way to destruction is wide and many find it. I take that as a compliment is you say I am in the minority. You better give it some thought. Forever is a long, long time if you are wrong.

I know where my moral compass points, brother. I know where I stand today--and where I would have stood in 1964 and 1862, too. Our players can say the same. I hope you can, too.

bostondawg
08-27-2020, 09:34 PM
Our players are men, and most will go on to do something that isn't football. I'm incredibly proud of them. And I'm honored to be a fan.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-27-2020, 09:40 PM
The under of 2.5 wins is starting to look better and better. What a shit show. Leach and co probably regret coming. It's about time to check some athletic privilege.

Maroonthirteen
08-27-2020, 09:43 PM

Hahaha. MSU won't leave any fan in the dust that has a dime to their name. State fans joke about usm. But state doesn't have fans either compared to other P5s.

Coldhardtruth
08-27-2020, 09:49 PM
My question is what exactly do they want? A few weeks ago it was a change in the state flag. That has been done and accolades given for some protesting. This week we are protesting a thug that got shot by resisting arrest and reaching for a weapon. What exactly is it that you expect to get this time? Should a felon with warrants that is causing trouble for others be patted on the head and asked nicely by the popo to play nice? What will it be next week? next month? If it's gonna be some reason not to practice/play every time we turn around, just shut it down, clean house, and go back to STUDENT athletes like it was intended to be.

Captain Falcon
08-27-2020, 10:07 PM
As I posted on another board: I know that they see other teams doing this and believe it's the right way to go about things, but I think this probably does more to frustrate a pretty sizable chunk of our fanbase than it does to bring any kind of social justice or unity.

Don't really have an issue with what they did as a form of protest, but it comes across as little more than virtue signaling to me. It's merely following the lead of what other teams have done, and considering they will be back on the practice field tomorrow I'm not sure what the lasting impact is other than it rubbed quite a few of our fans the wrong way, which should not be surprising. If it helps the players feel better about themselves, OK that's fine. But that's about all it really accomplishes.

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2020, 10:13 PM
My question is what exactly do they want? A few weeks ago it was a change in the state flag. That has been done and accolades given for some protesting. This week we are protesting a thug that got shot by resisting arrest and reaching for a weapon. What exactly is it that you expect to get this time? Should a felon with warrants that is causing trouble for others be patted on the head and asked nicely by the popo to play nice? What will it be next week? next month? If it's gonna be some reason not to practice/play every time we turn around, just shut it down, clean house, and go back to STUDENT athletes like it was intended to be.
It'll never be enough. Whatever it is it'll never be enough. I assume you saw where they started rioting and looting in Minneapolis because a murder suspect shot himself as police were moving in to arrest him.

LC Dawg
08-27-2020, 10:14 PM
Young black men say they are often targeted or profiled by police. As an old white man I can't refute that and since so many say that I assume it is true. I admire the team for speaking out. Maybe with the Blake incident it's a little misguided but when I see the comments to our team on social media I think them speaking out against hate and racism is warranted.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-27-2020, 10:15 PM
Is there evidence that the cop is a racist?

Commercecomet24
08-27-2020, 10:30 PM
It'll never be enough. Whatever it is it'll never be enough. I assume you saw where they started rioting and looting in Minneapolis because a murder suspect shot himself as police were moving in to arrest him.

This. There is no end game. It's always gonna be something else. SMH

Commercecomet24
08-27-2020, 10:36 PM
This is how bad it's gotten. I'm in my hotel room and see Rush Hour 2 is coming on syfy so i turn it on. There's a disclaimer at the beginning and after every commercial break and it says "We really love our buddy films but this film was made at a different time and some viewers may find the material insensistive and offensive". What the heck? Gimme a break!

Cooterpoot
08-27-2020, 10:47 PM
I support our players, our team. In this particular case a man was shot 7 times. Why 7 times, I don't know. Seems like an overreaction in my opinion, but when you disobey a cop again and again, you put yourself in that gray area where adrenaline is flowing and instincts can takeover. This is a dangerous place to be, but you can avoid this by just complying with instructions, even if you are in the right and they are in the wrong. Live another day, fight for your rights, and make your case.

Because he was a felon, had already fought with them and gotten away, and was going for his weapon. If that shit went down at my house, I'd have unloaded my gun into him too.
There are examples of bad police actions. This just isn't it.

Gutter Cobreh
08-27-2020, 11:07 PM
I realize I'm in the minority based on this thread, but I support our players (as does our head coach).

They have a voice and they expressed their views both respectfully and peacefully.

Tripp McNeely
08-27-2020, 11:26 PM
The under of 2.5 wins is starting to look better and better. What a shit show. Leach and co probably regret coming. It's about time to check some athletic privilege.

Nah...no way this is a serious post

Dannyripms
08-27-2020, 11:46 PM
Funny i didn't see anyone protesting the 5 y/o that got shot last week by a grown man.

Dannyripms
08-27-2020, 11:47 PM
I have no problem with what they did, its the reason i have a problem with. If people would stop fighting cops and just comply there would be no shootings.

Dannyripms
08-27-2020, 11:54 PM
wrong, he is a registered sex offender.

Maroonthirteen
08-28-2020, 04:54 AM

Exactly. Also each time marching and walking out is applauded, the more they will exercise their right to do so. It won't surprise me if they follow the nba's lead again at some point in the season by walking off the field (court) on game day. I'd hate to think I went through all the trouble and expense of getting to Starkville just to see a protest.

redstickdawg
08-28-2020, 06:32 AM
Young black men say they are often targeted or profiled by police. As an old white man I can't refute that and since so many say that I assume it is true. I admire the team for speaking out. Maybe with the Blake incident it's a little misguided but when I see the comments to our team on social media I think them speaking out against hate and racism is warranted.

It's pure hypocrisy nothing more. If they were worried about young black men getting shot they would prtest young black men, not the police. The data does not show, for those that want data and not talking points, that young black men are "targeted by police", are you saying that the police hunt them?

Once again don't break the law, don't try to fight the police and statistically there is very little in the way of bad outcome, Blake, Floyd and the most of the rest were either in the act of fighting police or another criminal activity.

Now if your goal is to allow all types of criminal activity as appears to be the case with BLM, go ahead that's one of the reasons for the 2A. Unfortunately a lot of people are fed up with being called racist because they don't bow down to BLM and their demands.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-28-2020, 06:34 AM
Guys, we have the Baltimore Ravens openly calling for the arrest of the officer just a day after the incident and before the investigation is completed and the facts are released. This is incredible.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-28-2020, 06:50 AM
In 2019, police shot 14 unarmed black men (some were justified and some were not). In 2019, black males committed over 5000 murders. Tell me again what our problem is? What should we be protesting? Who should Lebron James fear the most statistically?

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-28-2020, 06:56 AM
Each and every case stands alone and people that are in the wrong must be held accountable. But there are some big lies out there that are taken as fact with absolutely no search for the truth.

chef dixon
08-28-2020, 06:56 AM

This is how you should be looking at. I applaud your willingness to admit you can't know what's best for them or what they experience.

Jarius
08-28-2020, 07:08 AM
This is how you should be looking at. I applaud your willingness to admit you can't know what's best for them or what they experience.

There is absolutely nothing statistically to back up these claims, which is why most people call bullshit. When 12 % of the population makes up over 50 % of violent crimes they are going to have more run ins with the law. How about putting yourself in the position of the police officers that have to try and keep law and order with people like our football Team demanding they be brought to justice for doing their job when those people have no clue what they are talking about or what it is like to make a split decision that will determine whether or not you go home to your family. The issue is that people believe they should be able to resist and fight police officers without fear of being hurt or killed. That is 100 % BS. When you break the law and the officer is arresting you, comply with him or you run a high risk of getting your ass killed. The lack of respect for authority is what gets people killed in almost every single case we have seen protested. It’s ridiculous. Please, go on a ride along with a police officer for a couple of days, or just go sit and talk with some police officers. Your opinion may change. These people deal with the worst parts of society on a DAILY basis. No one calls the police because everything is going smoothly. They walk into the most difficult situations with very little time to make a judgement call on a regular basis. They are not the ones who need to change.

Dawgface
08-28-2020, 07:16 AM

Who gives a crap. I hope they see it!

redstickdawg
08-28-2020, 07:18 AM

Well I know that if they support a group, BLM, whose stated goal is killing cops I will no longer support them. I just saw a poster from a BLM riot last night that read "ALL MY HEROES KILL COPS" along with the dead cops now chant that is common at BLM riots there is nothing good or respectable about them.

This idiocy has gone on for far too long, the players support this and want to be part of it, so be it, my time and money will go elsewhere.

Mobile Bay
08-28-2020, 07:20 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOX_2n_WsAAhdZE.jpg

Dawgface
08-28-2020, 07:21 AM

I'll gladly be left behind along with my money.

BrunswickDawg
08-28-2020, 07:33 AM

https://twitter.com/Coach_Leach/status/1299139639241052162?s=20

You and LC hit the nail on the head. And, I think Coach Leach's tweet about it exemplifies why they agreed and participated in the day out today.

I don't think most people understand how what is going on nationally impacts kids right now. Kids in college today (which includes my own kids) have grown up in a country actively at war their entire lives. Many of them grew up in families heavily impacted by the Great Recession. Lots of them have friends or family who have been killed in gun violence, or died from overdoses. They have been told their entire lives to trust the adults, trust in the teachings of God, to believe in doing the right thing - and at every turn we, the adults are failing them. Our leaders are corrupt. Our churches are judgmental and sanctimonious. Our police system shows us daily how out of whack and inconsistent it is - so that something as innocent as a traffic stop can lead to your death. They see that our belief in gun culture is so strong that we'd rather produce bullet proof backpacks and have shooter training in schools than try to do something meaningful about gun violence. Or hey, in my community you could be jogging a mile from your house and be chased and gunned down by three vigilante rednecks for stopping to check out a house under construction. Throw the pandemic and all the death and lunacy surrounding it, and these are very stressful times. It's confusing. It's scary as hell, they want it ALL to stop, and the protests have become the vehicle to show that. It's a vehicle to show that you recognize that there is a whole lot of F'd up stuff in this country right now and that they don't want to continue down these paths. And I don't blame them at all.

FISHDAWG
08-28-2020, 07:36 AM
Screw that ... I sure don't need some college aged guys trying to give me lessons in life when they don't even bother to ascertain the facts or objectively think things through ... they are only doing this because of those professional idiots doing the same thing ..... I was taught in college to think for myself but I guess it's a totally different curriculum being pushed these days. Yes I can be pushed away - I'll simply go back to hunting on Saturdays like I used to do

ETA - was not replying to General Sherman ... meant to be a response to OP

Lord McBuckethead
08-28-2020, 07:37 AM
Why not release it now with audio? Seriously. That would clear up some stuff.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-28-2020, 07:41 AM
Areas of poverty, violence, poor schools, drug use, and low SES have a strong correlation to the breakdown of the family unit and a lack of two parents in the home. The organization BLM opposes the family unit and says so on its website.

chef dixon
08-28-2020, 07:41 AM
Well I know that if they support a group, BLM, whose stated goal is killing cops I will no longer support them. I just saw a poster from a BLM riot last night that read "ALL MY HEROES KILL COPS" along with the dead cops now chant that is common at BLM riots there is nothing good or respectable about them.

This idiocy has gone on for far too long, the players support this and want to be part of it, so be it, my time and money will go elsewhere.

That's the problem. People won't separate a peaceful protest with a simple message from diversion tactics and political smokescreens. Our players don't care about the organization BLM. They are using the phrase in the literal sense. Our players have no connection whatsoever with a bunch of white guys with skateboards looting and rioting. None. Yet people place that responsibility and what they read on a website about BLM at their feet when they decide to sit out of practice one day. Its absurd and shouldn't be that hard to separate the two, but this is the type of country we are living in right now.

LC Dawg
08-28-2020, 07:45 AM
https://twitter.com/Coach_Leach/status/1299139639241052162?s=20

You and LC hit the nail on the head. And, I think Coach Leach's tweet about it exemplifies why they agreed and participated in the day out today.

I don't think most people understand how what is going on nationally impacts kids right now. Kids in college today (which includes my own kids) have grown up in a country actively at war their entire lives. Many of them grew up in families heavily impacted by the Great Recession. Lots of them have friends or family who have been killed in gun violence, or died from overdoses. They have been told their entire lives to trust the adults, trust in the teachings of God, to believe in doing the right thing - and at every turn we, the adults are failing them. Our leaders are corrupt. Our churches are judgmental and sanctimonious. Our police system shows us daily how out of whack and inconsistent it is - so that something as innocent as a traffic stop can lead to your death. They see that our belief in gun culture is so strong that we'd rather produce bullet proof backpacks and have shooter training in schools than try to do something meaningful about gun violence. Or hey, in my community you could be jogging a mile from your house and be chased and gunned down by three vigilante rednecks for stopping to check out a house under construction. Throw the pandemic and all the death and lunacy surrounding it, and these are very stressful times. It's confusing. It's scary as hell, they want it ALL to stop, and the protests have become the vehicle to show that. It's a vehicle to show that you recognize that there is a whole lot of F'd up stuff in this country right now and that they don't want to continue down these paths. And I don't blame them at all.

Very well put

chef dixon
08-28-2020, 07:48 AM
There is absolutely nothing statistically to back up these claims, which is why most people call bullshit. When 12 % of the population makes up over 50 % of violent crimes they are going to have more run ins with the law. How about putting yourself in the position of the police officers that have to try and keep law and order with people like our football Team demanding they be brought to justice for doing their job when those people have no clue what they are talking about or what it is like to make a split decision that will determine whether or not you go home to your family. The issue is that people believe they should be able to resist and fight police officers without fear of being hurt or killed. That is 100 % BS. When you break the law and the officer is arresting you, comply with him or you run a high risk of getting your ass killed. The lack of respect for authority is what gets people killed in almost every single case we have seen protested. It’s ridiculous. Please, go on a ride along with a police officer for a couple of days, or just go sit and talk with some police officers. Your opinion may change. These people deal with the worst parts of society on a DAILY basis. No one calls the police because everything is going smoothly. They walk into the most difficult situations with very little time to make a judgement call on a regular basis. They are not the ones who need to change.

I don't want to discount polices officers. Their job is very hard. But there has to be a middle ground here and there has to be willingness for both sides to listen. I realize that's probably an impossible thing at this point.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-28-2020, 07:54 AM
Chef Dixon is correct right there. On any topic, the ability to listen to the other side and use common sense is a lost art in today?s climate

Matt3467
08-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Areas of poverty, violence, poor schools, drug use, and low SES have a strong correlation to the breakdown of the family unit and a lack of two parents in the home. The organization BLM opposes the family unit and says so on its website.

They also admit that they (the leaders) are trained Marxists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyhy4IvkENg

That same woman (Patrisse Cullors) along with another BLM founder in LA (Dr Melina Abdullah) speak about calling, invoking, and resurrecting spirits in a zoom call on YouTube. BLM is a purely evil organization. Here's a few quotes from that zoom call:

“Maybe I’m saying too much but, we become very intimate with the spirits that we call on regularly. Each of them seems to have a different presence and personality, you know I laugh a lot with ?Wakisha? you know and I didn’t meet her in her body, I met her through this work.” - Dr. Melina Abdullah

“Hashtags for us are way more than a hashtag it is literally almost resurrecting spirits so they can work through us to get the work that we need to get done.” - Patrisse Cullors

There's loads more weird stuff. Here's the full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEnerFMVaY

Jarius
08-28-2020, 08:36 AM
I don't want to discount polices officers. Their job is very hard. But there has to be a middle ground here and there has to be willingness for both sides to listen. I realize that's probably an impossible thing at this point.

Look man you seem to be extremely level headed. I understand that these are young impressionable guys that are probably just fed up with all of the craziness going on right now. I am too. I'm willing to listen to a real solution to a problem that I personally don't even believe exists on a large scale if it will help the country move forward. I don't want to stop supporting MSU. It is something that has shaped and molded me and brought me closer to my dad for my entire life. They have given me my most precious memories in my life, outside of my wife and kids. I want a solution, but we can't continue to vilify the police. We can talk about changing policies and such, but most of the time these police officers are killing people within their own protocol, getting off for it, and then everyone is raising hell about them not being held accountable. Not knowing what a police officer is trained to do when you are being arrested and don't comply is killing a lot more people in this country than racist cops are. I feel like we have a lot of displaced anger towards people who are simply trying to do their job to the best of their ability. Cops are 100% aware of the current climate we are in. They are being preached to DAILY about how they can't do anything at all that can even remotely be seen as racist or unnecessary. They know the stakes. For people to think these guys with families are intentionally going out and targeting black people with the technology today to just put everything on film and catch you red handed is just not reality.

Matt3467
08-28-2020, 08:44 AM
Funny i didn't see anyone protesting the 5 y/o that got shot last week by a grown man.

"Funny i didn't see anyone protesting the 5 y/o that got shot last week by a grown 'black' man."

I fixed it. The media wouldn't have an issue pointing that out if the roles were reversed. You don't hear much about the black man that shot and killed a white 21 y/o girl and her stepfather after he rear ended them in South Carolina and nearly attempted to kill another man at the scene. Racial tensions wouldn't be what they were if the media didn't selectively air only one side. Makes it seem like it's only black people being gunned down.

SheltonChoked
08-28-2020, 08:46 AM

Per the arrest report and the warrant, this is not true. If he raped a kid, his charge would have been more severe.

I'll admit if I'm wrong, and I'm not saying Blake should not have been arrested, but it should have taken more than 2 minutes to try and de escalate the situation.

StarkVegasSteve
08-28-2020, 08:51 AM
This is a tough situation for me. I support our players and their right to protest injustices and don't get me wrong I believe that police do target African Americans more than whites. Talk to some of them and hear their stories. It's real. You can hear the fear in their voice when they tell their stories. And these are from people who have done nothing wrong other than being somewhere where they're perceived to be not welcome. However, the Jacob Blake situation rubs me the wrong way in terms of protesting it. This is a situation where a guy was breaking the law being where he wasn't supposed to be, resisting arrest, and then reaching for something in his vehicle which turned out to be a knife. I don't know what else they wanted the cops to do in that situation. All I've heard is outrage with no solution. Professional athletes claiming to want justice but their actions and words look and sound like all they want is revenge. I've heard no viable solutions and it doesn't seem to me that they're even willing to talk to anyone. Kushner is trying to reach out to LeBron James and it seems like he won't have a conversation with him. That's a pretty damn powerful man to be turning down an opportunity to speak with. There just doesn't seem to be an end in sight because despite everything they claim to want, it doesn't seem like they want to take the steps to do that.

confucius say
08-28-2020, 08:54 AM
I realize I'm in the minority based on this thread, but I support our players (as does our head coach).

They have a voice and they expressed their views both respectfully and peacefully.

What views? I've tried to find what specifically was being protested, but crickets. If the point is to call attention to racial issues with police, ok. If it is to protest the shooting of Jacob Blake, that is a different situation, mostly bc our administration is encouraging the players and, therefore, our students may very well think it is ok to do what Blake did and not expect to be shot.

I would hope we use this as an opportunity to educate students and have discussions about police encounters, preferably with police.

hopsondawg22
08-28-2020, 08:55 AM
This is a tough situation for me. I support our players and their right to protest injustices and don't get me wrong I believe that police do target African Americans more than whites. Talk to some of them and hear their stories. It's real. You can hear the fear in their voice when they tell their stories. And these are from people who have done nothing wrong other than being somewhere where they're perceived to be not welcome. However, the Jacob Blake situation rubs me the wrong way in terms of protesting it. This is a situation where a guy was breaking the law being where he wasn't supposed to be, resisting arrest, and then reaching for something in his vehicle which turned out to be a knife. I don't know what else they wanted the cops to do in that situation. All I've heard is outrage with no solution. Professional athletes claiming to want justice but their actions and words look and sound like all they want is revenge. I've heard no viable solutions and it doesn't seem to me that they're even willing to talk to anyone. Kushner is trying to reach out to LeBron James and it seems like he won't have a conversation with him. That's a pretty damn powerful man to be turning down an opportunity to speak with. There just doesn't seem to be an end in sight because despite everything they claim to want, it doesn't seem like they want to take the steps to do that.

They enjoy being the victim class to really put forth effort for change.

Jarius
08-28-2020, 08:55 AM
Per the arrest report and the warrant, this is not true. If he raped a kid, his charge would have been more severe.

I'll admit if I'm wrong, and I'm not saying Blake should not have been arrested, but it should have taken more than 2 minutes to try and de escalate the situation.

The guy got up from being tased and fighting with POLICE, walked to a car full of kids, and reached into a car to grab something that the police could not see while they tried to get him to stop the entire time. This is 100 % Blake's fault and he is extremely lucky he is not dead. No one in this country should expect to do what that man did and walk away alive. This is the issue. People think cops ordering you to do something when you're being arrested is an option. This isn't the case. I can't imagine being arrogant enough to do what that man did.

chef dixon
08-28-2020, 09:11 AM
What views? I've tried to find what specifically was being protested, but crickets. If the point is to call attention to racial issues with police, ok. If it is to protest the shooting of Jacob Blake, that is a different situation, mostly bc our administration is encouraging the players and, therefore, our students may very well think it is ok to do what Blake did and not expect to be shot.

I would hope we use this as an opportunity to educate students and have discussions about police encounters, preferably with police.

Its not just one specific situation. This whole thing is a continuum. Its a general protest to continue to raise awareness of underlying racial issues/biases in this country, whether obvious or subconscious. You don't have to agree with them, but its pretty obvious that is what this is all about at this point.

bostondawg
08-28-2020, 09:15 AM
A timely plug that most of you could find the echo chamber you're looking for over at https://sippolitics.com/

StarkVegasSteve
08-28-2020, 09:20 AM
Its not just one specific situation. This whole thing is a continuum. Its a general protest to continue to raise awareness of underlying racial issues/biases in this country, whether obvious or subconscious. You don't have to agree with them, but its pretty obvious that is what this is all about at this point.

And I have no problem with this. However, in this continuum I've yet to hear any real solutions. Seems they just want revenge and then move on to the next outrage. And I believe that they're people out there trying to give real solutions, but the problem is that the cancel culture and woke mob has drowned out their voices with their calls for revenge. They can call it justice, but all they're doing is calling for an eye for an eye.

confucius say
08-28-2020, 09:23 AM

Ok. Did the players tell you that? That may be true but people on page 1 of this thread who know people on the team say it was about Blake. I admittedly don't know. Hadad said he was there and it was not clear specifically what was being protested.

confucius say
08-28-2020, 09:26 AM
For the people who believe Blake should not have been shot, what do you believe the officer should have done when Blake reached into the vehicle?

redstickdawg
08-28-2020, 09:39 AM
And I have no problem with this. However, in this continuum I've yet to hear any real solutions. Seems they just want revenge and then move on to the next outrage. And I believe that they're people out there trying to give real solutions, but the problem is that the cancel culture and woke mob has drowned out their voices with their calls for revenge. They can call it justice, but all they're doing is calling for an eye for an eye.

Quit using logic it confuses those that support this crap. Blake was part of the continuum of people fighting police and suffering a bad outcome, in certain folks view this automatically is the cops fault. There are no solutions put forth, it is pure unadulterated hatred.

Don't you know that Blake had a right to rape and threaten others? Just like George Floyd had a right to pass counterfeit $20 bills, Alton Sterling had a right to threaten others with a gun, etc.

bluelightstar
08-28-2020, 09:45 AM
Quit using logic it confuses those that support this crap. Blake was part of the continuum of people fighting police and suffering a bad outcome, in certain folks view this automatically is the cops fault. There are no solutions put forth, it is pure unadulterated hatred.

Don't you know that Blake had a right to rape and threaten others? Just like George Floyd had a right to pass counterfeit $20 bills, Alton Sterling had a right to threaten others with a gun, etc.

America does not punish crime with summary execution. This is the most anti-American thing I have seen in this thread.

redstickdawg
08-28-2020, 09:54 AM
America does not punish crime with summary execution. This is the most anti-American thing I have seen in this thread.

Is it now, you really construed my words into something that was not said or intended, quite interesting.

He wasn't killed because of the counterfeit money, that led to the attempted arrest. He then fought the police and then it escalated out of control. The act of fighting police is an extremely dangerous tactic, not something advisable at all. If he didn't try to pass fake $20 or fight the police we would never know his name. THat was 100% in his control, but it was the cops fault. How about the high levels of fentanyl found in his system could that have had an impact on the outcome? Let the facts come out before we decide that the cop is guilty. I know from what I have seen it is not good for him, but we don't know the full story either.

The Federalist Engineer
08-28-2020, 10:01 AM
To keep this sports related - not Kenosha related - all teams will be faced with activism. That's gonna happen. Even in Geology departments you will have some kids demanding that class be cancelled for this and that. Right now, it's only the race issues. Already, you had Harvard-Yale with Climate occupation. So, even if the players are content, you could have a climate march that takes over Bryant-Denny before the Iron Bowl.

This is a common variable when a nation develops extreme left wing populism. Some colleges might become like Mexico's UNAM, Oregon and Cal already well on the way. Students and Professors are always in some state of unionization, boycott, strike, sit-in, occupation, flash-mob, march etc. Some kids start college at 18 and don't graduate until 25, because semesters and years spent on strike, in marches, or in boycott.

Even British soccer teams might have player strikes, they watch a lot of USA news over-there, except that game check might be forfeited with Professionals on strike.

This could be a variable for betting.

gtowndawg
08-28-2020, 10:03 AM
I'm very close to just forgetting about sports, including Miss. State. It's just not worth the drama anymore.

Matt3467
08-28-2020, 10:03 AM

I know where my moral compass points, brother. I know where I stand today--and where I would have stood in 1964 and 1862, too. Our players can say the same. I hope you can, too.

Our players are men, and most will go on to do something that isn't football. I'm incredibly proud of them. And I'm honored to be a fan.

A timely plug that most of you could find the echo chamber you're looking for over at https://sippolitics.com/

Ironic since you've been a big contributor to this thread. Why don't you start one over there? Or is it not comfortable for you anymore since not everyone on this thread thinks like you?

Dolphus Raymond
08-28-2020, 10:55 AM
I support what our players did yesterday and I am VERY proud to call myself a Bulldog today.

vv83
08-28-2020, 11:14 AM
I support what our players did yesterday and I am VERY proud to call myself a Bulldog today.

Agreed. It?s incredible to me that the general message on here is a bunch of old white dudes who have NEVER experienced racism in their lives saying these kids haven?t seen the real world.... mf YOU haven?t seen the real world. Growing up white is the greatest privilege in America. Why can?t those on here just admit that, and realize there are bigger things than sports? Support the players or find a new team.

Maroonthirteen
08-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Agreed. It?s incredible to me that the general message on here is a bunch of old white dudes who have NEVER experienced racism in their lives saying these kids haven?t seen the real world.... mf YOU haven?t seen the real world. Growing up white is the greatest privilege in America. Why can?t those on here just admit that, and realize there are bigger things than sports? Support the players or find a new team.

Lots of stereotyping and assumptions made here. Now, now.

There are bigger things than sports and that's why i don't give two shits about a few of these players and won't give a dime directly to MSU athletics ever again. Enjoy your empty stadium with Nelly and Friends.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-28-2020, 11:37 AM
As typically happens, ideas and movements get hijacked. Cities and private property being burned clouds messaging. People aren?t able to think critically and no one is able to voice a concise plan to right wrongs in society.

confucius say
08-28-2020, 11:51 AM
I just think our players and university need to be very particular about what it is that is being championed here. Bc a lot of people are going to have a hard time supporting players and a school that are protesting in the name of Blake. But I think most will be good with supporting a movement that calls for racial equality. How the movement is framed is important.

Gutter Cobreh
08-28-2020, 11:54 AM
For the people who believe Blake should not have been shot, what do you believe the officer should have done when Blake reached into the vehicle?

Here is a novel idea, maybe tackle the suspect since there were two officers following him closely as he walked around the front of his car. Since the officer has his finger already on the trigger, maybe fire a warning shot in the air. How does a situation go from 0-100, with the end result being a human shot 7 times in the back at point blank range?

Do you care to share with me the point of bullet #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, or #7? Do you think that is excessive force?

Please refrain from answering my questions, as they're rhetorical. I'm not naive to think that any message board or social media post is going to change anyone's mind. We can banter back and forth until we are blue in the face without finding common ground.

To bring this back to the topic, all last year there was post after post after post about the lack of leadership within our football program. You know what I saw yesterday? I saw leadership! I saw Kobe Jones leading from the front. I read where Will Rogers wanted to be front and center in the photos because he wanted to show his support for his teammates that feel disenfranchised. These are young men that have enough courage and spirit to step outside of the confines of their comfort zone to make a statement in a state that doesn't have the greatest history of treating everyone as equal. The responses on here about them and elsewhere is disheartening. We want leadership, but when it doesn't present itself in the way some had imagined - insults and disparaging remarks come flying from every corner.

https://twitter.com/Coach_Leach/status/1299139639241052162

The Federalist Engineer
08-28-2020, 12:05 PM

Growing up ANYTHING in America is the greatest privileged. I think this idea that whites are SO privileged is actually seems like an Anachronism to my daily reality.

Seriously, Indian Americans are far wealthier than whites on average. Ever been to a medical school? Walk into a fortune 500 executive board room. there are some whites there. Asians of all stripes are actually way richer, they live in the baller houses of Research Triangle of North Carolina and Mercer county New Jersey. People just assume that whites live there, but that's Asian Tiger Mom turf. Go stand at the exit of a Pfizer corporate building in St Louis at quiting time. You might see a few white dudes. Same at the Oracle HQ in San Francisco.

Literally, we hired 5 interns yesterday from Ivy league colleges. None speak English as a first language, it's a 2nd language they picked up. The #1 prospect decided to join McKinsey, Harvard kid that went to UFlorida for Engineering. He was a Korean American.

Seems like the chatter box is stuck in 1900. Or stuck in college Art and Sociology departments, places where only whites generally hang. They need to go see the happenings in the CS, MBA, and Engineering buildings, other races are doing just fine in America.

confucius say
08-28-2020, 12:06 PM
I agree with the leadership angle. Said same thing.

The attempt to tase Blake had already occurred and failed. Read the DOJ report.
Firing warning shots? That endangers everyone in the area.
7 shots was unnecessary.

You have a warrant for your arrest and don't comply, get into p physical altercation with the cops, get away, then go get into your vehicle where there is a weapon, good chance you're getting shot.

Our society thinks it's ok to not respect authority. Sad.

Matt3467
08-28-2020, 12:09 PM
Here is a novel idea, maybe tackle the suspect since there were two officers following him closely as he walked around the front of his car. Since the officer has his finger already on the trigger, maybe fire a warning shot in the air. How does a situation go from 0-100, with the end result being a human shot 7 times in the back at point blank range?

Do you care to share with me the point of bullet #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, or #7? Do you think that is excessive force?

Please refrain from answering my questions, as they're rhetorical. I'm not naive to think that any message board or social media post is going to change anyone's mind. We can banter back and forth until we are blue in the face without finding common ground.

To bring this back to the topic, all last year there was post after post after post about the lack of leadership within our football program. You know what I saw yesterday? I saw leadership! I saw Kobe Jones leading from the front. I read where Will Rogers wanted to be front and center in the photos because he wanted to show his support for his teammates that feel disenfranchised. These are young men that have enough courage and spirit to step outside of the confines of their comfort zone to make a statement in a state that doesn't have the greatest history of treating everyone as equal. The responses on here about them and elsewhere is disheartening. We want leadership, but when it doesn't present itself in the way some had imagined - insults and disparaging remarks come flying from every corner.

Sorry but I can't help myself but to respond to your solutions. Blake had a knife before he went into the car so you want an officer to tackle him and risk being stabbed? I've never heard of such a thing as officers firing warning shots. Police shoot to neutralize the threat. The officer was close enough to be grabbing Blake's shirt from behind so it's not unreasonable to assume that maybe that officer wanted to make sure Blake didn't have the ability to turn around and stab him.

As far as Leach's post I doubt he'd have a job today had he said anything differently. He came close to losing it already.

Jarius
08-28-2020, 12:09 PM
Growing up ANYTHING in America is the greatest privileged. I think this idea that whites are SO privileged is actually seems like an Anachronism to my daily reality.

Seriously, Indian Americans are far wealthier than whites on average. Ever been to a medical school? Walk into a fortune 500 executive board room. there are some whites there. Asians of all stripes are actually way richer, they live in the baller houses of Research Triangle of North Carolina and Mercer county New Jersey. People just assume that whites live there, but that's Asian Tiger Mom turf. Go stand at the exit of a Pfizer corporate building in St Louis at quiting time. You might see a few white dudes. Same at the Oracle HQ in San Francisco.

Literally, we hired 5 interns yesterday from Ivy league colleges. None speak English as a first language, it's a 2nd language they picked up. The #1 prospect decided to join McKinsey, Harvard kid that went to UFlorida for Engineering. He was a Korean American.

Seems like the chatter box is stuck in 1900. Or stuck in college Art and Sociology departments, places where only whites generally hang. They need to go see the happening in the CS, MBA, and Engineering buildings, other races are doing just fine in America.

I have spent 5 years in countries where you are HATED for being American. White, black, brown, green, blue, purple, whatever. If you had that patch on your uniform you were not welcome. The idea that anyone has it bad in the US because of the color of their skin (systematically) is laughable when you actually get out of your little bubble and see the world and what's really out there. So much ignorance from people who can't wait to be the victim in every situation.

Commercecomet24
08-28-2020, 12:15 PM
I have spent 5 years in countries where you are HATED for being American. White, black, brown, green, blue, purple, whatever. If you had that patch on your uniform you were not welcome. The idea that anyone has it bad in the US because of the color of their skin is laughable when you actually get out of your little bubble and see the world and what's really out there. So much ignorance from people who can't wait to be the victim in every situation.

Thank you for your service!

Jarius
08-28-2020, 12:21 PM
Thank you for your service!

I hate to even say that because it looks like I'm fishing for a compliment and I really don't want to be seen as that way. I just can't stand the attitude that was being displayed. I do appreciate your well wishes.

Commercecomet24
08-28-2020, 12:21 PM

They had already wrestled with the man on the ground on the other side of the car and he broke free, they tased him to no effect, the options left were fairly limited. After all that you can't really expect them to wait to see what he pulls out of the car. Watch the second video that was recorded from someone from the other side it shows all this.

Commercecomet24
08-28-2020, 12:25 PM
I hate to even say that because it looks like I'm fishing for a compliment and I really don't want to be seen as that way. I just can't stand the attitude that was being displayed. I do appreciate your well wishes.

I understand completely. It does show your experiences overseas and defending our liberties and freedoms. It's a great perspective. It's great to see all angles of this and people need to learn from each other.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-28-2020, 12:26 PM
Why do our players not boycott, or walk out of practice in solidarity, to protest the actions of their own teammates who have committed offenses? We have had players arrested, but no players seems to be offended that someone they actually share a locker room with is committing crimes. Maybe these athletes (collegiate and professional) are actually just protesting for their right to commit crimes with no consequences. Every time one of our players gets arrested, their teammates seem say things like "I can't believe they arrested you for that bro". Instead they should be saying "You need to be a better citizen and stop that type of behavior. If you are going to be in our locker room, that type of behavior is unacceptable."

Coldhardtruth
08-28-2020, 12:27 PM
Two days ago a murder suspect was surrounded by police in Minneapolis. Instead of facing charges he decided to commit suicide. What did the peaceful BLM and Antifa protestors do? They looted and burned businesses of hard working Americans. That proved beyond any doubt that it's not about police injustices. It's about any opportunity to steal and tear down what hard working white, black, and brown Americans have accomplished. If you support this crap, you are an enemy to me. I will protect what's mine as will any red blooded American, no matter their skin tone.

vv83
08-28-2020, 12:27 PM
Lots of stereotyping and assumptions made here. Now, now.

There are bigger things than sports and that's why i don't give two shits about a few of these players and won't give a dime directly to MSU athletics ever again. Enjoy your empty stadium with Nelly and Friends.

How do people this soft exist...?

vv83
08-28-2020, 12:32 PM
Two days ago a murder suspect was surrounded by police in Minneapolis. Instead of facing charges he decided to commit suicide. What did the peaceful BLM and Antifa protestors do? They looted and burned businesses of hard working Americans. That proved beyond any doubt that it's not about police injustices. It's about any opportunity to steal and tear down what hard working white, black, and brown Americans have accomplished. If you support this crap, you are an enemy to me. I will protect what's mine as will any red blooded American, no matter their skin tone.

Is it possible to consider you are allowed to objectively approach each situation, assess them independently, and make your own decision? Two things can be true 1) Looting and rioting is wrong and should be punished by federal charges 2) our players supporting the idea of advancement and anti racism is right.

So now by your logic the entire football team is an enemy to you? I'm not saying every single one of them would be against rioting and protests. Hell, I'm sure some condone it. But I guarantee you there are tons of individuals out there who support the advancement of racial equality in America and condone looting and rioting. It's just amazing to me how both sides feel they have to agree with every talking point their political party spews.

confucius say
08-28-2020, 12:47 PM
Is it possible to consider you are allowed to objectively approach each situation, assess them independently, and make your own decision? Two things can be true 1) Looting and rioting is wrong and should be punished by federal charges 2) our players supporting the idea of advancement and anti racism is right.

So now by your logic the entire football team is an enemy to you? I'm not saying every single one of them would be against rioting and protests. Hell, I'm sure some condone it. But I guarantee you there are tons of individuals out there who support the advancement of racial equality in America and condone looting and rioting. It's just amazing to me how both sides feel they have to agree with every talking point their political party spews.

I agree with 1 and 2.
That's why it's important to frame the movement correctly (as opposed to it bring a show of support for the actions of Blake).

Coldhardtruth
08-28-2020, 12:56 PM
I

So now by your logic the entire football team is an enemy to you?.

Pay attention this time. What I said was if you support looting and burning businesses of hard working Americans, you are an enemy of mine. It doesn't matter where you are from, the color of your skin, or where you went to school. Whether or not our players support that, I don't know. I haven't seen where any of them have said exactly what it is they are in support of. If they are going to protest, it might be a good idea to put out a statement saying exactly what it is they support and condemning the parts they don't support. This may save everyone a lot of trouble and make decisions a lot easier.

Gutter Cobreh
08-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Sorry but I can't help myself but to respond to your solutions. Blake had a knife before he went into the car so you want an officer to tackle him and risk being stabbed? I've never heard of such a thing as officers firing warning shots. Police shoot to neutralize the threat. The officer was close enough to be grabbing Blake's shirt from behind so it's not unreasonable to assume that maybe that officer wanted to make sure Blake didn't have the ability to turn around and stab him.

As far as Leach's post I doubt he'd have a job today had he said anything differently. He came close to losing it already.

If a cop has to shoot someone 7 times from behind who is not running away (he was walking) to "neutralize" a threat, then they shouldn't be patrolling the streets. The dude had his kids in the car. Is he going to magically disappear, never to resurface? They had to take immediate action and shoot him the back at point blank range at that moment, even though they had yet to act on his outstanding warrants??? Keep justifying it all you want; as I said earlier - no post on this site is going to change anyone's mind.

They had already wrestled with the man on the ground on the other side of the car and he broke free, they tased him to no effect, the options left were fairly limited. After all that you can't really expect them to wait to see what he pulls out of the car. Watch the second video that was recorded from someone from the other side it shows all this.

Since both of you are so tuned into the situation and subsequent protests, I'm sure you've seen the video of Kyle Rittenhouse. This dude came from another state, armed with a AR15 as a part of a militia (aka "gang") to help "protect businesses". This dude shoots 3 people, killing two of them - walks towards the police and they pass him by - only to arrest him the next day. I'm sure you remember Dylan Roof or James Holmes and their crimes. Why were they given the decency of being treated as a human and not an immediate threat that had to be taken down?

Here are three examples of white kids that murdered people, yet they aren't as threatening to the cops because of the color of their skin. I'm sorry you can't comprehend the feelings of our players because they grew up differently than both of you - but don't try and rationalize one event while there are countless others that may clue you in on why our players may feel the way they feel.

Extendedcab
08-28-2020, 01:08 PM
I have spent 5 years in countries where you are HATED for being American. White, black, brown, green, blue, purple, whatever. If you had that patch on your uniform you were not welcome. The idea that anyone has it bad in the US because of the color of their skin (systematically) is laughable when you actually get out of your little bubble and see the world and what's really out there. So much ignorance from people who can't wait to be the victim in every situation.

tried to give rep, have to spread it around more first. Good post my brother!

Gutter Cobreh
08-28-2020, 01:12 PM

How many of those countries operated within a democratic government?

Matt3467
08-28-2020, 01:23 PM
If a cop has to shoot someone 7 times from behind who is not running away (he was walking) to "neutralize" a threat, then they shouldn't be patrolling the streets. The dude had his kids in the car. Is he going to magically disappear, never to resurface? They had to take immediate action and shoot him the back at point blank range at that moment, even though they had yet to act on his outstanding warrants??? Keep justifying it all you want; as I said earlier - no post on this site is going to change anyone's mind.

Since both of you are so tuned into the situation and subsequent protests, I'm sure you've seen the video of Kyle Rittenhouse. This dude came from another state, armed with a AR15 as a part of a militia (aka "gang") to help "protect businesses". This dude shoots 3 people, killing two of them - walks towards the police and they pass him by - only to arrest him the next day. I'm sure you remember Dylan Roof or James Holmes and their crimes. Why were they given the decency of being treated as a human and not an immediate threat that had to be taken down?

Here are three examples of white kids that murdered people, yet they aren't as threatening to the cops because of the color of their skin. I'm sorry you can't comprehend the feelings of our players because they grew up differently than both of you - but don't try and rationalize one event while there are countless others that may clue you in on why our players may feel the way they feel.

You don't know how I grew up. If you did you'd realize how dumb that statement was.

It doesn't matter who was in his car his behavior was threatening. I honestly am amazed at how you think this is law enforcement's fault. The facts are laid out bare.

I can already tell from the first few sentences you put out about Kyle Rittenhouse you have very little information to be making the comparisons and statements your are about the 17 y/o young man. Sounds bad when you only say he came from another state but leave out that he lives 20-30 mins away and that happens to be across state lines, but that he works in Kinosha and has family there. This I can't state for a fact but I've heard that it was family of his that owned the dealership he was protecting. Leave out that the first guy he shoots and kills is seen clearly on video earlier that night very aggressive and yelling at the young man to "shoot me n****." That same man also happens to be the same one chasing Kyle through the parking lot and apparently attempting to hit him with what some say looked like a Molotov and others say a brick and when he missed he continued to chase and he got shot. The other two attack Kyle as he's running to the police line. One attacks him with a metal and wooden skateboard over the head and the other actually has a gun pulled out on him. Another interesting tidbit is that all 3 shot have lengthy criminal records.

Cowbell
08-28-2020, 01:28 PM

This thread should be locked after a post like this is made. Growing up in America is the greatest privilege there is in America. A place where we are free to worship any religion we want. Because love is the only thing that will fix our issues. And God is love. Stop making it about race.

vv83
08-28-2020, 01:30 PM
This thread should be locked after a post like this is made. Growing up in America is the greatest privilege there is in America. A place where we are free to worship any religion we want. Because love is the only thing that will fix our issues. And God is love. Stop making it about race.

What a cop out. No.

Thick
08-28-2020, 01:30 PM
Matt, facts do not matter. It?s always a white man?s fault!

hopsondawg22
08-28-2020, 01:31 PM
What a cop out. No.

You are such an ambassador of discourse. I wish more people were had level headed as you. LoLz.

vv83
08-28-2020, 01:33 PM

I'm fuming reading your comment again, and refraining from writing what I want to say. As a devout Christian this absolutely infuriates me.

Matt3467
08-28-2020, 01:37 PM
I'm fuming reading your comment again, and refraining from writing what I want to say. As a devout Christian this absolutely infuriates me.

You call someone a "mf" and then say in another post you're fuming because you're a "devout" christian. LOL! I hope that was satirical!

vv83
08-28-2020, 01:41 PM
You call someone a "mf" and then say in another post you're fuming because you're a "devout" christian. LOL! I hope that was satirical!

WELP you got me there. I better stop using acronyms for foul language and go back to being angry our football team is protesting racism. Because that's what Jesus would do. Get on the internet and shame our players for standing up against racism. Thanks for setting me back on the right track

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-28-2020, 01:49 PM

There is truth in this post.

confucius say
08-28-2020, 01:50 PM
Let's be clear. I've seen nobody on here take issue with our players standing up against racism. The only thing I've seen contempt for is the possibility that they were protesting in support of Blake.

Coldhardtruth
08-28-2020, 02:01 PM
Kyle Rittenhouse was there to protect property from being looted and burned by criminals. He was attacked and killed three white thugs in self defense.

Dylan Roof and James Holder are thugs who should have been shot on site.

There is a big difference.

vv83
08-28-2020, 02:08 PM
Kyle Rittenhouse was there to protect property from being looted and burned by criminals. He was attacked and killed three white thugs in self defense.

Agreed, Kyle Rittenhouse should be a free man. There's clear evidence the 3 who jumped him were armed.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-28-2020, 03:26 PM
If players want to protest police brutality, lack of justice, or racism, then I will stand with them. I am against all of those things.

The problem is when the players protest on behalf of people like Michael Brown. That was police self defense, and justice was served when Officer Wilson was cleared. The players don't need to tie their cause to false narratives and untruths. Because it undermines their cause.

This instance with Jacob Blake may very well fall in that category of justified shooting. The players were very vocal in defense of Jussie Smollett. The bodycam footage of George Floyd showed a different narrative than we were originally told.

LC Dawg
08-28-2020, 03:59 PM
I went back and looked through Twitter of some of our players and I never saw Blake mentioned by them in reference to this protest. Maybe some of them's protest was directly related to Blake. Maybe some of them are basing it off of some of their own experiences. And I'm sure some are being reactive to the unrest in America. And I'm sure at least a couple of them just wanted to skip practice. But none of them should have to deal with some of the bullshit spouted about them on social media.

Dawg2003
08-28-2020, 05:13 PM

Of FFS, he was there to cause trouble.

The Federalist Engineer
08-28-2020, 06:57 PM

I would have to say yeah. The kid was very uniformed. Only an adventurer would walk around inner Kenosha even in regular times.

All major companies and middle class people have moved out decades ago. You have business and civilization in the county of Kenosha but only by the interstate. Inside Kenosha it’s shambling drunks, dive bars, meth teeth, and extreme low riding pants. Basically the entire cast of Shameless, Con Air, and Trainspotting. Even with tax abatement, many businesses rather move to Cambodia, literally. The Double Tree near the Marina is basically permanently empty.

Only Colonel Kurtz and Judge Holden could walk that place trying to protect property during an insurrection.

Matt3467
08-28-2020, 07:07 PM

I would have to say yeah. The kid was very uniformed. Only an adventurer would walk around inner Kenosha even in regular times.

All major companies and middle class people have moved out decades ago. You have business and civilization in the county of Kenosha but only by the interstate. Inside Kenosha it’s shambling drunks, dive bars, meth teeth, and extreme low riding pants. Basically the entire cast of Shameless, Con Air, and Trainspotting. Even with tax abatement, many businesses rather move to Cambodia, literally. The Double Tree near the Marina is basically permanently empty.

Only Colonel Kurtz and Judge Holden could walk that place trying to protect property during an insurrection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSU9ZvnudFE

I'll add that he worked in Kinosha. Conflicting information whether or not he lived with his mom in Antioch, IL which was a 20-30 drive away or he actually lived in Kinosha. He had family there anyway so definitely not there out of the blue.

BrunswickDawg
08-28-2020, 07:12 PM

Jeebus - you just described just about all of the riverside of Illinois from Cairo to the south side of Chicago. And most of the Missouri along the Ms River. You talk about some depressed hellscape, that's it. Forgotten places that could be sets for Zombieland or The Walking Dead.

Cowbell
08-28-2020, 07:57 PM
What about my post is infuriating....

R2Dawg
08-28-2020, 08:42 PM

I don't think most on here have any problem with anyone expressing their views respectfully. Freedom is for everyone. This cancel culture stuff has to go. I may disagree with some players positions, reasons, etc. but come game day if they bring it for MSU, I'll be cheering. Now if the PC political stuff comes to the field, not supporting that.

R2Dawg
08-28-2020, 08:48 PM
I agree with the leadership angle. Said same thing.

The attempt to tase Blake had already occurred and failed. Read the DOJ report.
Firing warning shots? That endangers everyone in the area.
7 shots was unnecessary.

You have a warrant for your arrest and don't comply, get into p physical altercation with the cops, get away, then go get into your vehicle where there is a weapon, good chance you're getting shot.

Our society thinks it's ok to not respect authority. Sad.

Good post and I agree. 7 shots seem too much but he obviously didn't hit on some, no way Blake lives if all 7 hit. Cop is in an intense situation and what he sees as fighting now for his life. Under stress shooting is very inaccurate. Till we walk in a cops shoes hard to judge.

I've said before, short answer right now is if I'm a white cop, I ain't going near a black man. They can kill each other in the neighborhood. Lawlessness don't want the law. Defend the law abiders in society. The cops were called in, they were not riding around looking for a black person to shoot. This is where we are in our culture.

R2Dawg
08-28-2020, 08:52 PM
The guy got up from being tased and fighting with POLICE, walked to a car full of kids, and reached into a car to grab something that the police could not see while they tried to get him to stop the entire time. This is 100 % Blake's fault and he is extremely lucky he is not dead. No one in this country should expect to do what that man did and walk away alive. This is the issue. People think cops ordering you to do something when you're being arrested is an option. This isn't the case. I can't imagine being arrogant enough to do what that man did.

What is needed is training for those in these neighborhoods on how to respect the law. Problem is lawlessness doesn't respect the law. Also who is going to raise these young men? Grown fathers and mothers, the nuclear family. Oh wait, BLM is against that. Michael Jackson had a song years ago - man in the mirror. There is where to start to make this problem improve.

lastmajordog
08-28-2020, 08:54 PM
I?m not going to work tomorrow. Boycotting that shat. Did my employer have anything to do with a dude getting shot in Wisconsin? Hell no. Does that matter? Hell no.

Seriously, 17 sports. I?m at an all time low for interest. Squarely on the fence of saying 17 it and moving on. Slight breeze in that direction and I?m out. Only thing holding me in at the moment is my kids love for all things MSU. That?s wavering.

Amen

lastmajordog
08-28-2020, 08:57 PM

Ignorant non independent thinking partisan people with blank factless accusations are the disease.....Amen

somebodyshotmypaw
08-28-2020, 09:15 PM
What is needed is training for those in these neighborhoods on how to respect the law. Problem is lawlessness doesn't respect the law. Also who is going to raise these young men? Grown fathers and mothers, the nuclear family. Oh wait, BLM is against that. Michael Jackson had a song years ago - man in the mirror. There is where to start to make this problem improve.

Agreed. Folks need to learn to respect the law. We have had at least two players arrested this year (Harris and Heath). Both were in the wrong and both should be embarrassed about it. And the other players should be in their face telling them to straighten up or get the hell out. But that doesn't happen.

Extendedcab
08-28-2020, 10:20 PM
This is a little long but a good read by a black sports reporter - Jason Whitlock. Sorry for not providing a link to this story.

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/jason-whitlock-3-150x150.jpg

Jason Whitlock is a sports columnist for Outkick.com, a TV and radio host, and a podcaster. A graduate of Ball State University, where he was a football letterman, he worked as a sportswriter at The Kansas City Star from 1994 to 2010. He has also worked for ESPN, AOL Sports, and Fox Sports. In 2007, he became the first sportswriter to win the Scripps Howard National Journalism Award for Commentary. He founded ESPN’s “The Undefeated” website and helped create and host “Speak for Yourself” on FOX Sports 1.

Nearly 30 years ago, in a 1993 Nike commercial, professional basketball legend Charles Barkley fired the first shot at the “role model” concept popularized by Columbia University sociologist Robert K. Merton in the aftermath of the 1960s counterculture movement. “I am not a role model,” Barkley proclaimed in the half-minute spot. “I’m not paid to be a role model. I’m paid to wreak havoc on the basketball court. Parents should be role models. Just because I dunk a basketball doesn’t mean I should raise your kids.”

Barkley’s words landed with a force every bit the equal of former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s National Anthem knee 23 years later. Former Vice President Dan Quayle defended Barkley, while Barkley’s fellow NBA superstar Karl Malone criticized him in Sports Illustrated. Leading news magazines, including Time and Newsweek, published articles exploring the controversy. Newspaper columnists from coast to coast—on and off the sports pages—also weighed in. The topic still sparks debate today.

Of the many phrases and concepts Merton coined—including “self-fulfilling prophecy” and “unintended consequences”—“role model” has had the most impact. On the surface, the argument that young people tend to model their behavior after high-profile, successful adults is harmless. However, in retrospect, the elevation of athletes and other celebrities as primary figures in the formation of behavioral norms for young people helped create the conditions that are powering the destructive Black Lives Matter movement today.

Merton’s role model concept undercuts the importance of parents and nuclear families. That was the point of Barkley’s criticism. Feminists and other progressive critics of America’s “patriarchal” society—including the Black Lives Matter movement, whose Marxist-influenced statement of purpose opposes “the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure”—have used Merton’s concept to great effect. Muhammad Ali, Pete Rose, Farrah Fawcett, Barbara Streisand, Mick Jagger, Marvin Gaye, and Burt Reynolds infringed on territory primarily reserved for mom, dad, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and teachers.

Technology has helped advance the process, diminishing the influence of traditional authority figures and strengthening the reach of celebrities. Kids shut their bedroom doors, turn on their televisions, laptops, and game consoles, plug in earbuds, open social media apps, and disappear into a world far removed from mom and dad. With a mere push of a button they tune out the worldview of their families and tune in the worldview of athlete LeBron James, actress Lena Dunham, rapper Snoop Dogg, social media race-baiter Shaun King, and others like them.

On top of all this, we now see America’s enemies, particularly China, using these modern role models to promote racial division and destabilize our country—with those on the political Left as their accomplices. Today, they have coalesced around the Black Lives Matter movement to push America toward a level of racial dysfunction and animus not experienced since the Civil War.

It’s fitting that Charles Barkley fired the first shot against this trend, because American sports have become the Gettysburg of what some have called our “cold civil war.” And if China and the Left complete their radicalization of sports, our nation may never recover.

Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope, where once there was only despair. It is more powerful than governments in breaking down racial barriers. It laughs in the face of all types of discrimination.

Nelson Mandela, the South African freedom fighter-turned-statesman, spoke those words in an effort to heal the country he came to lead after spending a quarter century incarcerated for opposing apartheid. Mandela embraced sports’ power to bridge racial divides, looking on athletic competition as a kind of antibiotic for racial animus and discrimination. South Africa’s victory in the 1995 Rugby World Cup and Mandela’s presentation of the Webb Ellis Cup to team captain Francois Pienaar stand as an iconic symbol of unity in post-apartheid South Africa. Clint Eastwood directed a movie, Invictus, starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon, that memorialized the importance of the moment. It bears re-watching today.

Since sprinter Jesse Owens won four gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics and boxer Joe Louis scored a first-round knockout over German heavyweight Max Schmeling in 1938, sports have served as a powerful racial unifier in America as well. The victories earned by Owens and Louis punctured Hitler’s Aryan superiority myth, unified black and white Americans in celebration, and established Owens and Louis as this country’s first black national heroes.

Owens and Louis laid the foundation for Brooklyn Dodgers General Manager Branch Rickey’s partnership with Jackie Robinson to integrate our national pastime, Major League Baseball, a decade later. Robinson’s successful integration of baseball, in turn, inspired Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, and the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s.

Indeed, Barack Obama, America’s first black president—the world’s first black leader of a predominantly white country—credited Robinson’s career for his own political rise. “There’s a direct line between Jackie Robinson and me standing here,” Obama said in January 2017, while hosting the world champion Chicago Cubs at the White House. He continued:

There’s a direct line between people loving Ernie Banks, and then the city being able to come together and work together in one spirit. . . . Sometimes it’s just a matter of us being able to escape and relax from the difficulties of our days, but sometimes it also speaks to something better in us. And when you see this group of folks of different shades and different backgrounds, and coming from different communities and neighborhoods all across the country, and then playing as one team and playing the right way, and celebrating each other and being joyous in that, that tells us a little something about what America is and what America can be.

Yes, America is a shining example of sports’ transformative power. The games we play, the games at the center of our social behavior, combine with our founding principles to enhance the American experience. America’s enemies know this, which is why the culture war has moved to our arenas and stadiums. Sports are now in the same crosshairs as our Founding Fathers, under attack for past racial sins and unappreciated for their vital role in cultivating racial unity. Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, but by writing the Declaration of Independence he made the emancipation of slaves inevitable. American sports were once segregated, but no American industry can match sports’ empowerment of black men.

The black-player-dominated National Football League is the most powerful force in American popular culture. It provides the number one television show on five different networks—CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, and the NFL Network. In this era of have-it-your-way TV, where consumers record and watch shows when they want while fast-forwarding through advertisements, only live sporting events can be consistently counted on to deliver audiences that sit through commercials.

But while American sports have never been more influential, they’ve also never been more vulnerable to foreign influence. Their partnership with global brands and their desire to build global audiences have given foreign countries a pathway to manipulate American sports and culture.

Look at how China, with its 1.4 billion consumers, rules the National Basketball Association and its de facto parent company, Nike, the same way it rules Hollywood. Access to China’s consumers and Asia’s cheap labor (even sometimes slave labor) is the key to Nike’s economic growth. The Portland-based shoe and apparel manufacturer generates $40 billion a year in revenue. Its global reach, agenda, and revenue streams dictate the strategy of the $8-billion-a-year NBA. Many are unaware that Nike, and not the NBA, controls basketball. One could make a fair argument that the NBA is nothing more than the in-house marketing department of Nike.

Both Nike and the NBA kowtow to China, which explains their silence on the horrific human rights abuses inside China and the suppression of Hong Kong freedom fighters by China’s communist government. More important, Nike and the NBA’s China agenda helps explain why Nike pitchmen LeBron James and Colin Kaepernick enthusiastically smear the United States as inherently racist and evil. From Joseph Stalin to Fidel Castro to our own time, the communists’ favorite propaganda tactic has been to paint the West, and the U.S. in particular, as racist.

The militant social justice messaging of James and Kaepernick serves the interests of not only the Chinese Communist Party and globalist corporations like Nike, but also our political Left. Kaepernick’s National Anthem defiance in 2016 gave the Left an opportunity to politicize football, America’s new national pastime, and force it into the kind of “progressive” posturing already commonplace in the NBA and Hollywood. Arrogance, lack of foresight, and the advice of an inner circle that included former Clinton administration press secretary Joe Lockhart as the NFL’s vice president of communications, explain commissioner Roger Goodell’s laissez-faire approach to Kaepernick’s protest. Underestimating the determination of the Left and the power of social media to intimidate corporate America, Goodell and the NFL’s TV partners wrongly thought that the Kaepernick controversy would fade over time.

Instead, four years after Kaepernick first knelt, the Leftist mob has forced the National Football League, Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League, and the National Basketball Association to take their own knees and pay homage to the dishonest Black Lives Matter narrative on police brutality. The NFL plans to paint social justice messages across its end zones this season and to allow players to wear helmet decals with the names of alleged police victims. The San Francisco 49ers fly a BLM flag next to an American flag at Levi’s Stadium. MLB opened its COVID-shortened season with “BLM” carved into pitcher’s mounds, and the Boston Red Sox put up a 254-foot BLM billboard outside Fenway Park. NHL players are now regularly kneeling during the National Anthem. The NBA’s basketball bubble at Disney World is a virtual shrine to BLM: “Black Lives Matter” is painted on the court, players wear social justice messages on the back of their jerseys, and it’s major news when a player stands during the National Anthem.

The entire American sports world—a culture that traditionally celebrates victors, meritocracy, colorblindness, and patriotism—has suddenly immersed itself in black victimization and left-wing radicalism. This immersion threatens to do permanent damage to American culture as a whole. It has certainly undermined national pride. A country that no longer believes in its founding ideals cannot prosper and survive.

If our sports stadiums and arenas have become the Gettysburg of the culture war, Lebron James and Colin Kaepernick are playing the roles of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, fighting to divide the nation even further than it is. The mainstream media is only half right in casting them as modern-day equivalents of Muhammad Ali. Ali’s religious sect, the Nation of Islam, was certainly divisive: it championed black secession. But unlike the BLM movement, it also rejected victimhood. Its founder Elijah Muhammad and its spokesman Malcolm X promoted bootstrap self-reliance and were disdainful of liberal politics. “The worst enemy that the Negro [has],” said Malcolm X,

is this white man that runs around here drooling at the mouth professing to love Negros and calling himself a liberal. It is following these white liberals that has perpetuated problems that Negros have. If the Negro wasn’t taken, tricked or deceived by the white liberal, then Negros would get together and solve our own problems. I only cite these things to show you that in America, the history of the white liberal has been nothing but a series of trickery designed to make Negros think that the white liberal was going to solve our problems.

Pro-BLM athletes today have moved beyond the idea of a role model that was debated in 1993—the idea of modeling behavior to be imitated, such as self-reliance, hard work, responsibility, and good parenthood. Through the power of social media, to which they are addicted, these modern role models exert influence by promoting commercial products and political causes. In the case of NBA athletes like Lebron James, this means turning their backs not only on the oppressed people of China and Hong Kong, but also on the poor and underprivileged in America among whom so many of these wealthy athletes grew up, and who they now condemn to victimhood and dependency with their political activism.

Charles Barkley was right 30 years ago. Parents, not athletes, should be role models. Today the situation is even worse, with sports further dividing an already dangerously divided nation, rather than providing the unifying and even healing force Nelson Mandela described. Predictably, there are now calls to boycott sports, and it seems inevitable that the TV ratings of the pro sports leagues will decline. This is unlikely to matter, however, to the suddenly-woke billionaire team owners and their handpicked commissioners.

As fans, we can only hope and pray that these feckless leaders will reconsider their embrace of the BLM cult—a necessary first step to returning American sports to what it has been in the past: a force for unity and a model of a diverse and colorblind meritocracy.

Joebob
08-29-2020, 01:53 PM

\rant over

You just can't see the bigger issue, can you? Instead, as usual, it's all about you and what you want.

hp22
08-29-2020, 03:20 PM

This is terrifying.

The last thing I want are citizens playing batman.

I put trust in our cops and other professionals to handle that.

This entire debate is tough and people all have their opinions. But I can't support the idea of a teenager voluntarily providing armed security to protect property that isnt theirs.

Gordon Gekko
08-29-2020, 03:29 PM
This is terrifying.

The last thing I want are citizens playing batman.

I put trust in our cops and other professionals to handle that.

This entire debate is tough and people all have their opinions. But I can't support the idea of a teenager voluntarily providing armed security to protect property that isnt theirs.

Well the cops aren’t stopping the carnage and there have been democratic AGs saying they aren’t going to prosecute protestors and democratic mayors refusing federal help so private citizens have to step up if they don’t want the town burned to the ground.

Todd4State
08-29-2020, 05:28 PM
You just can't see the bigger issue, can you? Instead, as usual, it's all about you and what you want.

Why don't you tell me instead of using the same bullshit sound bite from Twitter that doesn't really say anything other than I hurt your feelings?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-30-2020, 02:08 PM
It looks like the Big-10 commish is going political with his decision and is aiming to get student athletes to vote to oust Trump.

https://sports.yahoo.com/can-the-big-ten-swing-a-presidential-election-kevin-warren-wants-to-find-out-180131201.html

Matt3467
08-30-2020, 04:58 PM
It looks like the Big-10 commish is going political with his decision and is aiming to get student athletes to vote to oust Trump.

https://sports.yahoo.com/can-the-big-ten-swing-a-presidential-election-kevin-warren-wants-to-find-out-180131201.html

Amazing how fast partisan politics infected nearly everything, huh?

Todd4State
08-30-2020, 07:20 PM

At least they're being honest now.

Gutter Cobreh
08-30-2020, 08:01 PM
Matt, facts do not matter. It?s always a white man?s fault!

Anyone care to share their thoughts on why this guy didn't get 7 rounds pumped into his back when he returned to his truck? Please don't miss the part where he tells the cop that he as going to ****ing kill him!

Great patience the officer showed. I appreciate all they do to keep us safe!

https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1299490732194107397?s=21

Todd4State
08-30-2020, 09:54 PM
Anyone care to share their thoughts on why this guy didn't get 7 rounds pumped into his back when he returned to his truck? Please don't miss the part where he tells the cop that he as going to ****ing kill him!

I don't know. It didn't really show the entire incident. It cut off in the middle. He should have been arrested. But I need to know how the entire incident played out to give you an answer. For all we know the cop called back up and the guy was taken in. Why was he pulled over?

Until further evidence is provided this is like showing me a baseball player and an umpire arguing for a minute and half without showing me why they were arguing or the end result and then asking me "why wasn't this player ejected from the game?"

Regardless this shows part of the problem- video that is intentionally misleading.

Matt3467
08-31-2020, 07:55 AM

Every situation is different. No two cops, people, or situations are the same. Like Todd said what's the context here? Going to need more information but to assume across the board that since Blake was shot 7 times in the back then everyone should be shot seven times in the back is a bad argument. Anyone can find "evidence" to back up whatever claim they want. I'll say this though that not once in my life have I been a victim of police brutality. I've been pulled over many times and never have escaped a ticket even though I thought I should've been let off with a warning several of those times. My wife has been pulled over more times than I have and has never gotten a ticket (she's not white either). I feel that's a little unfair but not once did I argue (I broke the law anyway) or become non-compliant. I accepted the ticket and moved on with my life. As much as people want to harp on cops about their training the same people need to teach others to obey the law and that starts at home. I bet 99/100 those that have problems with compliance had the same issue at home and were never dealt with.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-01-2020, 06:02 AM
Amazing how fast partisan politics infected nearly everything, huh?

And just like that, Biden videos popping up in Big10 country saying orange man canceled their season.

MrKotter
09-01-2020, 08:23 AM

It's you who can't see or refuse to see the real issue.

BB30
09-01-2020, 01:03 PM

Have you seen the video of Daniel Shaver(white guy) getting shot in a hotel? Point is you have to look at each situation individually. It isn't the same police officer killing these people or not. You're acting like because in this one instance the police didn't shoot that it is an indictment on every officer of being racist when a black man is killed half way across the country in another precinct.

We can pick and choose videos all day and we would both be able to find claims to back each point of view.

What do you make of the stats though? 13% of the population committing some 50+% of all violent crime. 15 unarmed black men killed, some justified, some not. We have over 800 thousand law enforcement officers in this country. If cops were out hunting people don't you think the numbers would bare that? One miscalculation is too many, I understand that. Is there still plenty of room for improvement, absolutely. Do I have an issue with our football players peacefully protesting? No, not in the least bit. I just wish some people would actually look at the numbers and start to have a discussion centered around the numbers and where/how we can improve. Not the "our system is broken and we need a whole new system".

I think there is a much better argument to be made for inequality once cases hit the court systems. Cops for the most part do their job pretty well for what is being asked of them. It is the Lawyers, DAs etc. that IMO are doing the most harm. Non violent crime jail sentences etc. are a huge drain on tax payer dollars. I do believe a lot of this is more in line with wealth inequality as poor white defendants often find themselves in the same situations while wealthy people tend to find ways out of non violent offenses without a criminal record.

And you know the irony of that is Biden co signed a bill in 94 "the tough on crime" bill and has always up until the last two or three years been in favor of tougher punishment. Kamala Harris denied plenty of innocent men in jail a chance at having new DNA testing done that could have cleared them of any wrong doing when she was a DA. So to act as though Biden and Harris will be all for prison reform is a joke. If/when they get elected they are going to go right back to doing what they did. It is all lip service.

Commercecomet24
09-01-2020, 01:10 PM
Have you seen the video of Daniel Shaver(white guy) getting shot in a hotel? Point is you have to look at each situation individually. It isn't the same police officer killing these people or not. You're acting like because in this one instance the police didn't shoot that it is an indictment on every officer of being racist when a black man is killed half way across the country in another precinct.

We can pick and choose videos all day and we would both be able to find claims to back each point of view.

What do you make of the stats though? 13% of the population committing some 50+% of all violent crime. 15 unarmed black men killed, some justified, some not. We have over 800 thousand law enforcement officers in this country. If cops were out hunting people don't you think the numbers would bare that? One miscalculation is too many, I understand that. Is there still plenty of room for improvement, absolutely. Do I have an issue with our football players peacefully protesting? No, not in the least bit. I just wish some people would actually look at the numbers and start to have a discussion centered around the numbers and where/how we can improve. Not the "our system is broken and we need a whole new system".

I think there is a much better argument to be made for inequality once cases hit the court systems. Cops for the most part do their job pretty well for what is being asked of them. It is the Lawyers, DAs etc. that IMO are doing the most harm. Non violent crime jail sentences etc. are a huge drain on tax payer dollars. I do believe a lot of this is more in line with wealth inequality as poor white defendants often find themselves in the same situations while wealthy people tend to find ways out of non violent offenses without a criminal record.

And you know the irony of that is Biden co signed a bill in 94 "the tough on crime" bill and has always up until the last two or three years been in favor of tougher punishment. Kamala Harris denied plenty of innocent men in jail a chance at having new DNA testing done that could have cleared them of any wrong doing when she was a DA. So to act as though Biden and Harris will be all for prison reform is a joke. If/when they get elected they are going to go right back to doing what they did. It is all lip service.

I can't rep this enough! You just nailed it in a nutshell. Thank you.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BB30 again.

Extendedcab
09-01-2020, 01:58 PM

Rep Given!!!

Gutter Cobreh
09-01-2020, 02:23 PM

I'm not "acting" in a way other than to post a video and ask what the difference was between someone who was "perceived" to have a gun and was shot 7 times in the back versus someone who yelled that he was going to "****ing" kill the cop? The answer is that it boils down to prejudice and bias.

I've highlighted, in your diatribe, the point for this thread and board. There are a lot of posters on this board who dogged our players for sitting out a practice. People (not going to call them fans) lost their minds because how dare the players think they were "entitled" to have an opinion!

To reiterate the stats you posted: "13% of the population committing some 50+% of all violent crime". Now imagine how a person that has the same skin complexion of that 13% getting pulled over and presumed to be guilty before they even have the chance to open their mouth. Unless you do, then how can you accurately say how someone should feel? I, personally, don't fall into that category - so what exactly is wrong with trying to listen and understand someone else's point of view?

Dawgology
09-01-2020, 02:35 PM

I want your opinion on two scenarios just so I know where you stand:

Scenario one: black officer/white subject - White subject Is a known drug dealer. Black Officer passes him in a neighborhood and pulls him over for traffic violation and white subject bails out and runs. Officer gives chase. Deploys a taser and misses. Ends up shooting and killing the white subject because (according to the officer) the subject pointed a gun at him. The subject is found with a stolen firearm on him and drugs.

Scenario two: white officer/black subject - subject is pulled over for traffic citation and bails out (for unknown reasons). The white officer gives chase in his patrol car. At some point the officer exits his car and chases on foot. Upon returning to his patrol car he sees the black subject in his patrol car attempting to drive it away. He shoots and kills the black subject while sitting in the drivers seat.

To you, which one of these scenarios represent systemic racism?

Extendedcab
09-01-2020, 03:04 PM
I'm not "acting" in a way other than to post a video and ask what the difference was between someone who was "perceived" to have a gun and was shot 7 times in the back versus someone who yelled that he was going to "****ing" kill the cop? The answer is that it boils down to prejudice and bias.

I've highlighted, in your diatribe, the point for this thread and board. There are a lot of posters on this board who dogged our players for sitting out a practice. People (not going to call them fans) lost their minds because how dare the players think they were "entitled" to have an opinion!

To reiterate the stats you posted: "13% of the population committing some 50+% of all violent crime". Now imagine how a person that has the same skin complexion of that 13% getting pulled over and presumed to be guilty before they even have the chance to open their mouth. Unless you do, then how can you accurately say how someone should feel? I, personally, don't fall into that category - so what exactly is wrong with trying to listen and understand someone else's point of view?

Ah, but you did not post an entire video of the situation only a snippet. We did not see the events as they unfolded, so we have no context in which to draw a "VALID" conclusion. But you know that! Without seeing the entire footage, your snippet is BIASED as your are leading the viewer draw the conclusion you want them to have. It would be like asking you, hey GC, when did you stop beating your wife? Guilt is already presumed, your defense would only dig a deeper hole for you.

This is why the majority hate the mainstream media these days, as this is their standard mode of operation. They have done this type of misdirection/obfuscation for so long, you are now engaging in their same tactics.

Extendedcab
09-01-2020, 03:08 PM

Scenario one: black officer/white subject - White subject Is a known drug dealer. Black Officer passes him in a neighborhood and pulls him over for traffic violation and white subject bails out and runs. Officer gives chase. Deploys a taser and misses. Ends up shooting and killing the white subject because (according to the officer) the subject pointed a gun at him. The subject is found with a stolen firearm on him and drugs.

Scenario two: white officer/black subject - subject is pulled over for traffic citation and bails out (for unknown reasons). The white officer gives chase in his patrol car. At some point the officer exits his car and chases on foot. Upon returning to his patrol car he sees the black subject in his patrol car attempting to drive it away. He shoots and kills the black subject while sitting in the drivers seat.

I know this is multiple choice, no dialog required, but you know the wrong answer will be given! What a shame!

BB30
09-01-2020, 03:19 PM

Did I ever say how someone should feel or not feel? No, I'm pretty sure per your highlight that I have zero issues with the peaceful protests. I will still pull for all of the bulldogs on the field and once they have graduated to be successful in whatever endeavors they pursue afterwards. You aren't allowing for any nuance and are basically playing the "take my ball and go home if you don't agree with me game".

My point was that some of the arguments about cops as a whole are dumb and not based on factual evidence per discussion on this message board. You tend to ignore the data and go off of emotion.

Gutter Cobreh
09-01-2020, 09:25 PM

I'll answer your question. I think we have a "prejudice" problem, more than we have a "racism" problem when talking about police. The reason is that they deal with probably the same deadbeats day in and day out, whether that be with an all white area or all black area. In both scenarios you provided, I think the actions of the officers is justified. The issue I'm simply trying to point out is that when we have kids who attend the same university that we did speak out about how they've been profiled and do so in a respectful manner - why are some here so quick to tell them to "stick to sports"?

I'm not for lawlessness or not supporting police in what they do. Just as a few bad cops spoil it for others, so do looters who take advantage of a movement that actually gets people talking about race relations.

Did I ever say how someone should feel or not feel? No, I'm pretty sure per your highlight that I have zero issues with the peaceful protests. I will still pull for all of the bulldogs on the field and once they have graduated to be successful in whatever endeavors they pursue afterwards. You aren't allowing for any nuance and are basically playing the "take my ball and go home if you don't agree with me game".

My point was that some of the arguments about cops as a whole are dumb and not based on factual evidence per discussion on this message board. You tend to ignore the data and go off of emotion.

I don't disagree with you. Again, while you may think like this - the majority of the comments on here were not supportive and were rather close-minded regarding our student-athletes.

Dawgology
09-01-2020, 10:07 PM
I'll answer your question. I think we have a "prejudice" problem, more than we have a "racism" problem when talking about police. The reason is that they deal with probably the same deadbeats day in and day out, whether that be with an all white area or all black area. In both scenarios you provided, I think the actions of the officers is justified. The issue I'm simply trying to point out is that when we have kids who attend the same university that we did speak out about how they've been profiled and do so in a respectful manner - why are some here so quick to tell them to "stick to sports"?

I'm not for lawlessness or not supporting police in what they do. Just as a few bad cops spoil it for others, so do looters who take advantage of a movement that actually gets people talking about race relations.

I don't disagree with you. Again, while you may think like this - the majority of the comments on here were not supportive and were rather close-minded regarding our student-athletes.

In my opinion, as a law enforcement officer, scenario 1 was a justified shooting whereas scenario 2 was not. Thoughts?

BB30
09-02-2020, 10:05 AM

You are correct and I am not sure why we let the actions of a few dictate our thoughts on the group as a whole. For both the cops and protesters. My issue is you are starting to see cops come out and call out bad cops.

Why don't we see that from the BLM movement? If they would just call out their bad apples and come out and state we aren't for lawlessness etc. I don't think as many people would have an issue with protesting.

In fact, I would bet many on this board would be more open to peaceful protests even if they didn't agree with the premise if that was all that it was. But BLM leading the "movement" is bad as a figure head because they also stand for some things that will only make the situation in inner cities worse such as getting rid of the nuclear family.

Do you know BLM has raised over a billion dollars and not a dime of that has gone to inner cities directly(IE community centers etc.)
The problem won't change until we get into inner cities and get these young fatherless kid's mentors or somebody they can look up to and learn from.

The solution at face value is simple, it just requires an immense amount of work that people aren't willing to do.

What I would do:
_For the cops-
counter to what some think, I would raise pay of police officers and make it a career where you can make a decent living and get paid for the risk you are taking. This would provide an incentive for better qualified candidates to join.

I would provide consistent training for officers that continues after they are in the force and require a monthly amount of paid hours spent on training in both deescalation practices etc.

-For the impoverished communities-
More community centers, YMCAs etc.

More after school programs for young kids to try things they may otherwise not have the opportunity to try. whether that is having a mentor to take a kid hunting/fishing, going to learn to ride horses etc. This would allow for the kid to find something he or she is passionate in and can pursue. The biggest thing is that this stays consistent from the time they are young through high school. Give them a reason to not fall into the gang life etc.

1 to 1 mentorship programs with men that keep reaching out and keep helping these kids whether it is providing clothes/taking the kid out to eat once or twice a week/just being there for them as much as possible.

I know the latter is going to be hard to do for every kid and would be a huge undertaking. It would take people like us to get out in our impoverished communities and becoming involved in things that we may not necessarily be comfortable with in areas that we may not be comfortable with. But if you are wanting to solve the issue it would take a massive undertaking of the above. That is the only way this gets fixed.

Just giving money to people isn't going to change anything because many have been raised to live like they are. You are a product of your environment and how you grew up 99% of the time. If stealing/drugs/murder is all you have ever known to survive you can't possibly know or feel like there is an alternative.

While most of us on this board have grown up in different circumstances I would bet a large majority had someone or somebody that held them accountable and mentored/taught them and played a large role in who we have become. Whether that was a dad, brother, uncle, mom, family friend etc.

Most of the kids growing up in impoverished communities regardless of if it is a poor white trailer park or metro Chicago don't have that kind of a bond with a father figure and if they do it is usually a gang etc. and that is a problem.

Commercecomet24
09-02-2020, 11:05 AM
You are correct and I am not sure why we let the actions of a few dictate our thoughts on the group as a whole. For both the cops and protesters. My issue is you are starting to see cops come out and call out bad cops.

Why don't we see that from the BLM movement? If they would just call out their bad apples and come out and state we aren't for lawlessness etc. I don't think as many people would have an issue with protesting.

In fact, I would bet many on this board would be more open to peaceful protests even if they didn't agree with the premise if that was all that it was. But BLM leading the "movement" is bad as a figure head because they also stand for some things that will only make the situation in inner cities worse such as getting rid of the nuclear family.

Do you know BLM has raised over a billion dollars and not a dime of that has gone to inner cities directly(IE community centers etc.)
The problem won't change until we get into inner cities and get these young fatherless kid's mentors or somebody they can look up to and learn from.

The solution at face value is simple, it just requires an immense amount of work that people aren't willing to do.

What I would do:
_For the cops-
counter to what some think, I would raise pay of police officers and make it a career where you can make a decent living and get paid for the risk you are taking. This would provide an incentive for better qualified candidates to join.

I would provide consistent training for officers that continues after they are in the force and require a monthly amount of paid hours spent on training in both deescalation practices etc.

-For the impoverished communities-
More community centers, YMCAs etc.

More after school programs for young kids to try things they may otherwise not have the opportunity to try. whether that is having a mentor to take a kid hunting/fishing, going to learn to ride horses etc. This would allow for the kid to find something he or she is passionate in and can pursue. The biggest thing is that this stays consistent from the time they are young through high school. Give them a reason to not fall into the gang life etc.

1 to 1 mentorship programs with men that keep reaching out and keep helping these kids whether it is providing clothes/taking the kid out to eat once or twice a week/just being there for them as much as possible.

I know the latter is going to be hard to do for every kid and would be a huge undertaking. It would take people like us to get out in our impoverished communities and becoming involved in things that we may not necessarily be comfortable with in areas that we may not be comfortable with. But if you are wanting to solve the issue it would take a massive undertaking of the above. That is the only way this gets fixed.

Just giving money to people isn't going to change anything because many have been raised to live like they are. You are a product of your environment and how you grew up 99% of the time. If stealing/drugs/murder is all you have ever known to survive you can't possibly know or feel like there is an alternative.

While most of us on this board have grown up in different circumstances I would bet a large majority had someone or somebody that held them accountable and mentored/taught them and played a large role in who we have become. Whether that was a dad, brother, uncle, mom, family friend etc.

Most of the kids growing up in impoverished communities regardless of if it is a poor white trailer park or metro Chicago don't have that kind of a bond with a father figure and if they do it is usually a gang etc. and that is a problem.

This post should get a standing ovation. Bravo!

BB30
09-03-2020, 10:23 AM
This post should get a standing ovation. Bravo!

It is just frustrating that nobody is talking about what we can actually tangibly do.

The first part with the cops would take the government actually figuring something out which is apparently extremely hard for them now because they are constantly politically grandstanding and acting like 5 year old children.

The latter involving the inner cities etc. is something that we could all achieve in our local communities just by getting involved and donating our time to children that need help. There are plenty of charities that people can get involved in both locally and nationally that are doing good things but need more support. This is where we as a community and state could truly make a difference without any help or needs from local or federal govt.

Both sides like to complain about the issues and both have different ideas on the cause of these issues but neither want to actually get involved in solving the problem. The dems just want to throw money at it and the conservatives just want to take social programs away without providing any stability in those communities or any solutions to help get things on the right track.

I am all for getting as many people off of wellfare as we can when done properly. Teach a man to fish and he will never be hungry type of deal.

The left just wants to give them a fish here and there and neither wants to teach the how to fish part. Just like anything you have to learn how to live a balanced financially stable life involved in living within your means.

And BTW, I am conservative, just frustrated that the solutions are in front of us and no steps are being taken to legitimately fix the issues.

Commercecomet24
09-03-2020, 10:47 AM
It is just frustrating that nobody is talking about what we can actually tangibly do.

The first part with the cops would take the government actually figuring something out which is apparently extremely hard for them now because they are constantly politically grandstanding and acting like 5 year old children.

The latter involving the inner cities etc. is something that we could all achieve in our local communities just by getting involved and donating our time to children that need help. There are plenty of charities that people can get involved in both locally and nationally that are doing good things but need more support. This is where we as a community and state could truly make a difference without any help or needs from local or federal govt.

Both sides like to complain about the issues and both have different ideas on the cause of these issues but neither want to actually get involved in solving the problem. The dems just want to throw money at it and the conservatives just want to take social programs away without providing any stability in those communities or any solutions to help get things on the right track.

I am all for getting as many people off of wellfare as we can when done properly. Teach a man to fish and he will never be hungry type of deal.

The left just wants to give them a fish here and there and neither wants to teach the how to fish part. Just like anything you have to learn how to live a balanced financially stable life involved in living within your means.

And BTW, I am conservative, just frustrated that the solutions are in front of us and no steps are being taken to legitimately fix the issues.

Absolutely 100% right! There's no solution being offered by anyone, just talk and rhetoric, on all sides. I've spent a lot of my adult years working in the youth programs in my church and working with kids from all walks of life. I've seen many successes with kids who many said didn't have a chance. Amazing what can happen when you reach out and teach people how to have a better life.