PDA

View Full Version : Whisky or Whiskey

Cooterpoot
08-27-2020, 11:57 AM
Been a while since there's been a thread on your whisky/whiskey of choice. What you drinking?

Buffalo Trace has gotten scarce. I'll drink Old Charter in its place. Knocked out some Russell's Reserve recently. Strong but a little bitter finish. I generally don't go beyond 12 year old because it starts to get pretty woodsy tasting. But there are exceptions. Also hit some Bruichlidiech (sp) scotch whisky. I go with the unpeated.

Dawgology
08-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Wiskay.

I actually find Clyde May's Special Reserve pretty damn good.

BeardoMSU
08-27-2020, 12:04 PM
I've been loving some Eagle Rare. Excellent value for a 10 year old bourbon. I've never really been a fan of Dewars, but I picked up a bottle of their 15 year Monarch, and it's super good.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
08-27-2020, 12:10 PM
Neither....Beer Only

FISHDAWG
08-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Clyde Mays has some fine whiskeys .... Last week while cleaning and organizing my wife's parents house that we are inheriting we found two bottles of Whiskey .... a bottle of Very Old Bartons and a bottle of Jack Daniels.
The Bartons was bottled in 1992 after aging 6 years making it around 34 years old - broke the tape on it and finished it that same weekend. Bartons in my opinion has never really been anything special but it was incredibly smooth and easy (it's only 80 proof but had a nice easy burn to it anyway) - almost too easy as I went through it faster than I should have..... The JD Old #7 was bottled in 1995 making it about about 32 years old and I'm saving it for next years vacation.... but it might not make it past the egg bowl as I'm incredibly curious and tempted

iPat09
08-27-2020, 01:12 PM
I enjoy some Wild Turkey American Honey.

If you're in Mississippi and want to support someone local, check out Rich Grain. He's based in Canton and was the first distillery to legally distill bourbon since before prohibition. I bought a bottle of his first run of Bourbon Whiskey that aged for 3 years. Still haven't opened it, and that was about 3 years ago or so. His corn whiskey and white rum are pretty good, but his Spiced Rum is amazing.

FISHDAWG
08-27-2020, 01:19 PM
I enjoy some Wild Turkey American Honey.

If you're in Mississippi and want to support someone local, check out Rich Grain. He's based in Canton and was the first distillery to legally distill bourbon since before prohibition. I bought a bottle of his first run of Bourbon Whiskey that aged for 3 years. Still haven't opened it, and that was about 3 years ago or so. His corn whiskey and white rum are pretty good, but his Spiced Rum is amazing.

I wouldn't mind sampling some home distilled whiskey .... as a matter of useless knowledge - it's not officially "Bourbon" unless distilled in Kentucky .... Kentucky actually has a copy write on the word Bourbon

Dawgology
08-27-2020, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't mind sampling some home distilled whiskey .... as a matter of useless knowledge - it's not officially "Bourbon" unless distilled in Kentucky .... Kentucky actually has a copy write on the word Bourbon

This is true. But I see non-Kentucky distilled whiskeys (Clyde May's) still occassionally label their's as bourbon on the bottle. At least, i have an old bottle of Clyde that is printed directly onto the bottle and listed as "Alabama Bourbon" hahaha.

iPat09
08-27-2020, 01:43 PM

Just going by what he calls it, ha. Not sure of the availability out of state, but his drinks can be found throughout Mississippi. Just ask at your local liquor store. Chances are, the bottle will have a little dust on from sitting for awhile because people just don't know about it.

Prediction? Pain.
08-27-2020, 01:47 PM

I'll see your useless knowledge and in true whisky nerd fashion raise you a federal regulation:

"Bourbon whisky", "rye whisky", "wheat whisky", "malt whisky", or "rye malt whisky" is whisky produced at not exceeding 160 proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125 proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

27 CFR Sec. 5.22(b)(1)(i).

https://media1.tenor.com/images/d00ba0be21820ae85e0104c87183a6a8/tenor.gif?itemid=8613698

So I don't think there's a geographical requirement for the word "bourbon" unless a bottler labels it as "Kentucky Bourbon" or whatever. In other words, I can distill a bourbon in Tennessee and label it as such, but I can't call it "Kentukcy bourbon."

Cooterpoot
08-27-2020, 01:48 PM
I've been loving some Eagle Rare. Excellent value for a 10 year old bourbon. I've never really been a fan of Dewars, but I picked up a bottle of their 15 year Monarch, and it's super good.

Eagle Rare is good. It's getting scarce like Buffalo Trace.

Cooterpoot
08-27-2020, 01:51 PM

You can find non-KY bourbon now.

FISHDAWG
08-27-2020, 01:54 PM
I'll see your useless knowledge and in true whisky nerd fashion raise you a federal regulation:

27 CFR Sec. 5.22(b)(1)(i).

https://media1.tenor.com/images/d00ba0be21820ae85e0104c87183a6a8/tenor.gif?itemid=8613698

So I don't think there's a geographical requirement for the word "bourbon" unless a bottler labels it as "Kentucky Bourbon" or whatever. In other words, I can distill a bourbon in Tennessee and label it as such, but I can't call it "Kentukcy bourbon."

I Fold

Prediction? Pain.
08-27-2020, 01:55 PM
Taking off my King of the Know-it-all Nerds crown, though, I've been digging these lately:

Bourbon - Baker's, Eagle Rare, and Woodford Double Oaked

Scotch - Compass Box Great King's St. Artists' Blend

Irish - Bushmill's 10 Year Single Malt

BiscuitEater
08-27-2020, 01:55 PM
it's not officially "Bourbon" unless distilled in Kentucky .... Kentucky actually has a copy write on the word Bourbon

Going to have to DISAGREE. Bourbon can be made anywhere in the UNITED STATES. Here are the 'official' rules from the American Bourbon Association ..https://americanbourbonassociation.com/bourbon-what-is

There are many factors that make bourbon whiskey a singular and distinct spirit. One of the biggest reasons bourbon stands out among other spirits is the presence of strict rules and regulations for production. Because of the safely guarded regulations of crafting bourbon, the quality, character and continuity of the spirit is maintained.

Among the standards that contribute most to bourbon?s unique qualities:

New barrels
The requirement for new charred oak barrels contribute to better aging and color characteristics. Since no artificial colorings or flavorings can be added, this requirement is instrumental in the maturation of bourbon flavor. Other types of whiskey can be aged in used barrels.

All Natural, No additives
Unlike other types of whiskeys (Canadian, Scotch, Irish), where coloring and flavor additives may be present, bourbon maintains an authentic and unadulterated profile.

Barrel Storage
Bourbon barrels are often stored on their side in ricks, which allow for airflow throughout aging warehouses. This type of storage is unique, whereas other types of whiskeys are aged on pallets or standing on the ground. It is believed that the airflow is a major differentiating factor in the bourbon craft.

Recipe
Bourbon recipes consist of at least 51% corn, which creates a sweet flavor. Other grains such as rye, wheat and malted barley are added for a more complex flavor. Other types of whiskeys might only use one grain. This is another factor in the distinct flavor characteristics of bourbon .

Aging Conditions
The temperature extremes between hot summer and cool winter seasons where bourbon is crafted contribute greatly to the aging process in bourbon whiskey. The temperature changes affect how the bourbon reacts with the oak, resulting in an accelerated aging process, relative to other whiskeys.

Straight
For bourbon to be designated ?straight bourbon whiskey? it must have aged in new charred oak barrels for a period of at least two years.

Bottled In Bond
Bourbon classified as Bottled In Bond must have been made during a single distilled season at one distillery, aged in a federally bonded warehouse for a period of at least four years and bottled at 100 proof as originally defined in the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897. Only American whiskeys can carry the label of ?Bottled in Bond,? and any such bourbon label must identify the distillery from which it was distilled and bottled.

Virginia makes some good Bourbons ..

A. Smith Bowman Distillery?Fredericksburga smith bowman distillery john j bowman bourbon whiskey fredericksburg distillery
The oldest continuously-running distillery in Virginia, A. Smith Bowman has become known for their internationally acclaimed bourbons, which have won the ?World?s Best Bourbon? at the World Whiskies Awards for several years. The Fredericksburg-based distillery offers free tours and tastings on the hour during opening hours, walking visitors through the history of the distillery, sharing the meticulous process of creating their signature spirits, and finishing with a tasting of the products discussed during the tour. They offer several Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskeys named for their historic distilling family, including John J. Bowman, a Single Barrel Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Bowman Brothers, a Small Batch Straight Bourbon Whiskey, and Isaac Bowman, a Port Barrel Finished Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

Prediction? Pain.
08-27-2020, 02:02 PM
I Fold

Victory is mine!

https://i.gifer.com/V6i5.gif

Fun fact: The George Bailey shuffle is, and I'm totally serious here, my touchdown dance. Needless to say, Dak's tenure was an epic time in my household.

Dawgology
08-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Going to have to DISAGREE. Bourbon can be made anywhere in the UNITED STATES. Here are the 'official' rules from the American Bourbon Association ..https://americanbourbonassociation.com/bourbon-what-is

There are many factors that make bourbon whiskey a singular and distinct spirit. One of the biggest reasons bourbon stands out among other spirits is the presence of strict rules and regulations for production. Because of the safely guarded regulations of crafting bourbon, the quality, character and continuity of the spirit is maintained.

Among the standards that contribute most to bourbon?s unique qualities:

New barrels
The requirement for new charred oak barrels contribute to better aging and color characteristics. Since no artificial colorings or flavorings can be added, this requirement is instrumental in the maturation of bourbon flavor. Other types of whiskey can be aged in used barrels.

All Natural, No additives
Unlike other types of whiskeys (Canadian, Scotch, Irish), where coloring and flavor additives may be present, bourbon maintains an authentic and unadulterated profile.

Barrel Storage
Bourbon barrels are often stored on their side in ricks, which allow for airflow throughout aging warehouses. This type of storage is unique, whereas other types of whiskeys are aged on pallets or standing on the ground. It is believed that the airflow is a major differentiating factor in the bourbon craft.

Recipe
Bourbon recipes consist of at least 51% corn, which creates a sweet flavor. Other grains such as rye, wheat and malted barley are added for a more complex flavor. Other types of whiskeys might only use one grain. This is another factor in the distinct flavor characteristics of bourbon .

Aging Conditions
The temperature extremes between hot summer and cool winter seasons where bourbon is crafted contribute greatly to the aging process in bourbon whiskey. The temperature changes affect how the bourbon reacts with the oak, resulting in an accelerated aging process, relative to other whiskeys.

Straight
For bourbon to be designated ?straight bourbon whiskey? it must have aged in new charred oak barrels for a period of at least two years.

Bottled In Bond
Bourbon classified as Bottled In Bond must have been made during a single distilled season at one distillery, aged in a federally bonded warehouse for a period of at least four years and bottled at 100 proof as originally defined in the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897. Only American whiskeys can carry the label of ?Bottled in Bond,? and any such bourbon label must identify the distillery from which it was distilled and bottled.

Virginia makes some good Bourbons ..

A. Smith Bowman Distillery?Fredericksburga smith bowman distillery john j bowman bourbon whiskey fredericksburg distillery
The oldest continuously-running distillery in Virginia, A. Smith Bowman has become known for their internationally acclaimed bourbons, which have won the ?World?s Best Bourbon? at the World Whiskies Awards for several years. The Fredericksburg-based distillery offers free tours and tastings on the hour during opening hours, walking visitors through the history of the distillery, sharing the meticulous process of creating their signature spirits, and finishing with a tasting of the products discussed during the tour. They offer several Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskeys named for their historic distilling family, including John J. Bowman, a Single Barrel Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Bowman Brothers, a Small Batch Straight Bourbon Whiskey, and Isaac Bowman, a Port Barrel Finished Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

I really thought that in order to label your whiskey as a bourbon it had to be distilled in Kentucky. I thought that was a thing. In fact, it's one of the reasons Clyde May's started distilling their Special Reserve in Kentucky so that they could legally label it as a bourbon...but maybe it's more of a gentleman's agreement.

Prediction? Pain.
08-27-2020, 02:15 PM
I really thought that in order to label your whiskey as a bourbon it had to be distilled in Kentucky. I thought that was a thing. In fact, it's one of the reasons Clyde May's started distilling their Special Reserve in Kentucky so that they could legally label it as a bourbon...but maybe it's more of a gentleman's agreement.

My guess is that Clyde May's originally used bourbon distilled in Kentucky just because they didn't have any of their own to sell yet. But I think they're selling stuff that they distilled themselves now, aren't they?

Prediction? Pain.
08-27-2020, 02:21 PM
Mildly but not really on topic, what bottles have y'all bought lately that just weren't up to snuff?

My most recent dud is especially disappointing -- 2020's version of George Dickel Bottled in Bond. I thought last year's 13-year-old version was really good. I didn't like it quite as much as some reviewers did, but still, great stuff for a good price. This year's, though, man, it's not my bag at all. The sip starts out as Dickel but then immediately turns into what I can only describe as a bland, ultra dry bitterness. Closest thing I can think of is the aftertaste of plain club soda, but amped up to 11. And it sticks with you for a bit, too. I'm an unabashed Dickel fanboy, but this one is just way off the mark for me.

RiverCityDawg
08-27-2020, 02:52 PM
Just finished off a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch last night. Also, Michter's American Whiskey has been a go-to recently.

Anyone tried Larceny? I enjoy wheated bourbons if I'm in the mood for something sweeter, so think I'll try it soon.

On sort of the other end of the spectrum, if I want something a little different I go for the Ardbeg 10. I think I'll try Ardbeg Uigeadail when that bottle runs out.

Cooterpoot
08-27-2020, 02:53 PM
Makers 46 is a solid drink. Lots of flavor, a little spice for a wheat.

BeardoMSU
08-27-2020, 02:55 PM
I'm an unabashed Dickel fanboy

I like Dickel a lot.

Prediction? Pain.
08-27-2020, 03:12 PM
I like Dickel a lot.

They possibilities for a middle-school-level back and forth about who likes "Dickel" the most are endless . . . .

Dickel is what got me into whisky. It started as a mixer -- Dr. Dickel (Dr. Pepper and Dickel) was so, so good -- and gradually evolved into something I'd drink on ice and then eventually neat. Dickel Barrel Select, a blend of stuff roughly 10 - 12 years old, became my favorite. At the $30 - $35 level, it was hard to beat. (It's now usually between $40 and $45 around here.) I've had several Dickel single barrel and limited releases, too, and most have been great. And then just the basic black and gold label whiskies are good for cocktails (though they can make sweet ones especially sweet if you're not careful), cooking, and casual sipping on ice.

Prediction? Pain.
08-27-2020, 03:14 PM
Just finished off a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch last night. Also, Michter's American Whiskey has been a go-to recently.

Anyone tried Larceny? I enjoy wheated bourbons if I'm in the mood for something sweeter, so think I'll try it soon.

On sort of the other end of the spectrum, if I want something a little different I go for the Ardbeg 10. I think I'll try Ardbeg Uigeadail when that bottle runs out.

I've been on the lookout for Michter's American Whiskey for a while. I've never seen a bottle in a liquor store in Tennessee. Is it as good as it's made out to be? And do you think it warrants its price point? I've enjoyed the Micheter's rye that I've had and I've heard great things about all their other stuff.

Alphadog
08-27-2020, 03:17 PM
Who has some good recommendations for inexpensive whiskey. Let?s say under $30

BeardoMSU
08-27-2020, 03:32 PM
Who has some good recommendations for inexpensive whiskey. Let?s say under $30

If you can find them, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Weller Antique, Weller Special Reserve, Weller 12, Elmer T. Lee. These, especially the last 4, are getting very tough to find, but all are great options.

Easily found, and good: Dickel 12, Dickel Rye, Jefferson Reserve, Granddads B.I.B., Henry McKenna 10 year, Four Roses, Elijah Craig.

vv83
08-27-2020, 04:03 PM
Can't believe I got this far without seeing 1910 and 1920 mentioned. I personally prefer 1910 but I know a lot prefer the higher proof 1920. Great bottles for the price, and haven't been picked up by the scalpers yet. 1792 Full Proof is also great if you can get it for MSRP.

Prediction? Pain.
08-27-2020, 04:11 PM
If you can find them, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Weller Antique, Weller Special Reserve, Weller 12, Elmer T. Lee. These, especially the last 4, are getting very tough to find, but all are great options.

Easily found, and good: Dickel 12, Dickel Rye, Jefferson Reserve, Granddads B.I.B., Henry McKenna 10 year, Four Roses, Elijah Craig.

Man, I've only seen one of those (Buffalo Trace) in a store anywhere close to me for under $30, and that was a while ago. Most I don't see at all. But dude, if you see them at that price, rock out.

Who has some good recommendations for inexpensive whiskey. Let's say under $30

There are lots of good options but price varies a ton state to state. What I can get in Chattanooga for $30 is way, way different than what I can get in Atlanta or even Knoxville for the same price.

That said, I'd look at any of these in addition to the ones that Beardo mentioned (all of which are great options): Wild Turkey 101, Knob Creek, Knob Creek Rye, Maker's Mark, Larceny, Evan Williams Single Barrel, and Russell's Reserve 10 year. There are probably many others that I'm forgetting, too.

Cooterpoot
08-27-2020, 04:17 PM
Wild Turkey and Elijah Craig are solid options. Four Roses is starting to disappear depending on which you want.

Freaking guns and whiskey are flying off the shelves. Don't forget tax free guns & ammo this weekend!

BeardoMSU
08-27-2020, 04:37 PM
Man, I've only seen one of those (Buffalo Trace) in a store anywhere close to me for under $30, and that was a while ago. Most I don't see at all. But dude, if you see them at that price, rock out.

There are lots of good options but price varies a ton state to state. What I can get in Chattanooga for $30 is way, way different than what I can get in Atlanta or even Knoxville for the same price.

That said, I'd look at any of these in addition to the ones that Beardo mentioned (all of which are great options): Wild Turkey 101, Knob Creek, Knob Creek Rye, Maker's Mark, Larceny, Evan Williams Single Barrel, and Russell's Reserve 10 year. There are probably many others that I'm forgetting, too.

Before I moved up here, Corkey's in Starkville sold Buffalo Trace for $18 I think (about 4 years ago). In Mass I regularly see it between $23 and $28, a few times as high as $38 (ha! nope). Our local total wine gets Weller pretty regularly, and though the prices have all gone up, I still get all 3 for under $30. If they didn't have a "one bottle per customer" policy, I'd buy the entire case when they get 'em in.

You're right about the state to state thing. It's funny what things are more expensive and less expensive. Bourbon for the most part is priced higher up here. But vodka and gin, holy hell...I get get a handle of Ketel for $26. Stoli about the same. A handle of Bombay Sapphire for $28. Rum is also crazy cheap up here. Scotch is about the same I guess.

HailState86
08-27-2020, 04:39 PM
Weller 107 is always a favorite!

BeardoMSU
Wild Turkey and Elijah Craig are solid options. Four Roses is starting to disappear depending on which you want.

Freaking guns and whiskey are flying off the shelves. Don't forget tax free guns & ammo this weekend!

I actually really like the basic bottle of Four Roses. It's a good neat, on ice, or mixed. Cheap too. It's usually around $30-35 for a handle up here. Can't beat that.

BeardoMSU
Weller 107 is always a favorite!

Antique 107 is my favorite bourbon. Its awesome.

coachnorm
08-27-2020, 05:15 PM
Now that Mississippi has Costco Mississippians have access to the best deals in whisky or whiskey. The best deal is Kirkland Costco the brand. Upper tiered product with mid-range price. There is severe competition among distillers to gain access to the Kirkland brand. Cheers

RiverCityDawg
08-27-2020, 07:43 PM
I've been on the lookout for Michter's American Whiskey for a while. I've never seen a bottle in a liquor store in Tennessee. Is it as good as it's made out to be? And do you think it warrants its price point? I've enjoyed the Micheter's rye that I've had and I've heard great things about all their other stuff.

It's certainly worth buying once to see what you think. It's not dramatically different than anything else you've probably had, but the fact that it is aged in used barrels rather than new barrels like bourbon does add a little uniqueness, assuming you drink it neat. If on the rocks is your thing I wouldn't spend the extra. It also wouldn't be your thing if you like high proof stuff, but it's a fairly easy sipper without being boring, so I like it. I think I paid $45 for it just at a ABC store here in Birmingham.

csdawg13
08-27-2020, 09:26 PM
These are the things I enjoy and can find pretty easily. Things in bold are my favorites:

Approachable Bottles(<$50, easy to find around here):

Bourbon
Wild Turkey 101 ($20/750mL)
Woodford Reserve ($30/750mL)
Jefferson's Reserve ($40/750mL)
Bail Haydens ($30/750mL)
Four Roses Small Batch ($35/750mL)
Old Grand Dad 114 ($20/750mL) - lots of heat, not for everyone

Wheated Bourbon
Weller Special Reserve ($35/1.75L)
Larceny Straight Bourbon ($20/750mL)
Willett Pot Still Bourbon (the price fluctuates on this. I buy it when it drops to <$30/750mL)

Rye
Michter's Straight Rye ($40/750mL)
Bulleit Rye ($20/750mL)

Special Occasions

WhistlePig Old World Cask Finish Rye ($120/750mL)
Balvenie 14y Caribbean Cask ($70/750mL)
Balvenie 15y Sherry Cask ($110/750mL)

BeardoMSU
08-27-2020, 09:50 PM
These are the things I enjoy and can find pretty easily. Things in bold are my favorites:

Approachable Bottles(<$50, easy to find around here):

Bourbon
Wild Turkey 101 ($20/750mL)
Woodford Reserve ($30/750mL)
Jefferson's Reserve ($40/750mL)
Bail Haydens ($30/750mL)
Four Roses Small Batch ($35/750mL)
Old Grand Dad 114 ($20/750mL) - lots of heat, not for everyone

Wheated Bourbon
Weller Special Reserve ($35/1.75L)
Larceny Straight Bourbon ($20/750mL)
Willett Pot Still Bourbon (the price fluctuates on this. I buy it when it drops to <$30/750mL)

Rye
Michter's Straight Rye ($40/750mL)
Bulleit Rye ($20/750mL)

Special Occasions

WhistlePig Old World Cask Finish Rye ($120/750mL)
Balvenie 14y Caribbean Cask ($70/750mL)
Balvenie 15y Sherry Cask ($110/750mL)

I would pay you to mail me handles or Weller SR, lol. Seriously.

Dawgology
08-27-2020, 10:34 PM
Before I moved up here, Corkey's in Starkville sold Buffalo Trace for $18 I think (about 4 years ago). In Mass I regularly see it between $23 and $28, a few times as high as $38 (ha! nope). Our local total wine gets Weller pretty regularly, and though the prices have all gone up, I still get all 3 for under $30. If they didn't have a "one bottle per customer" policy, I'd buy the entire case when they get 'em in.

You're right about the state to state thing. It's funny what things are more expensive and less expensive. Bourbon for the most part is priced higher up here. But vodka and gin, holy hell...I get get a handle of Ketel for $26. Stoli about the same. A handle of Bombay Sapphire for $28. Rum is also crazy cheap up here. Scotch is about the same I guess.

I wonder if the way the state controls liquor in Mississippi is why our prices are so high? I don?t know much about that part of it. Or is it just supple?

LC Dawg
08-27-2020, 10:39 PM
I've been a craft beer guy for a while but when the pandemic started I decided to learn a little more about bourbon. I bought mostly some midrange bourbons and tried them. Some I really enjoyed were Eagle Rare, Jefferson's Reserve, Larceny, and Maker's 46. A big favorite was Rare Breed and I liked it over Russell's Reserve. I haven't had many big disappointments except that Angel's Envy didn't stand up to the hype.
One thing I discovered along the way is that I really like gin. I love IPAs so the bitterness of gin probably was attractive but I enjoy all the options you have with gin - neat, rocks, martini, g&t, and many cocktails. I really enjoy Hendrick's, Botanist, Aviation, Bristow, and Plymouth. Any of you guys into gin very much?

ScoobaDawg
08-28-2020, 12:14 AM
Its simple to remember All bourbon is whisky. Not all whisky is bourbon.
Bourbon as mentioned is 51% corn or more by law and has to be aged in new american oak.

Prediction? Pain.
08-28-2020, 07:37 AM

If your professor gig doesn't work out, you could quit your job and sell secondhand Weller in Tennessee full time. And I'm totally not kidding. All three of those Wellers for $30 or under? Seriously? Good lord, man. Huzzah for our country's patchwork monstrosity of liquor distribution laws that's resulted in a totally arbitrary retail market! Where prices make no sense, supply and demand have nothing to do with anything, and people have take state governments to the United States Supreme Court to open a freaking liquor store!

Prediction? Pain.
08-28-2020, 08:06 AM
I wonder if the way the state controls liquor in Mississippi is why our prices are so high? I don?t know much about that part of it. Or is it just supple?

Based upon what I know about Tennessee's beer and liquor laws, my guess is that Mississippi's pricing suffers chiefly from its tax structure and the way it regulates distributors.

Example of Tennessee's insane liquor distribution regulations: Up until a year or so ago, a person had to be a resident of Tennessee for at least two year in order to open a liquor store. But to get your license renewed, the owner had to live here for ten consecutive years. And if the store is owned by an LLC or corporation, then the residency requirement applied to the members or stockholders of those companies. In other words, Tennessee had a legally sanctioned good ole boy system in place that effectively barred any regional or national retailers to come in and compete. Not a recipe for good pricing.

So finally some people decided to challenge that law. In separate suits, Total Wine, the biggest liquor chain in the country, and then a couple who moved to Tennessee from Utah filed suit when they were denied permits to operated liquor stores due to the state's residency requirement. The case reached the United States Supreme Court last year and the Court struck down Tennessee's law as unconstitutional. (The opinion was 7-2 with Gorsuch and Thomas dissenting.) Here's an easy-to-read blurb about the case (https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/06/opinion-analysis-a-total-victory-for-total-wine-in-21st-amendment-dispute/) if you're interested.

So now that we've got a Total Wine up in Knoxville that's subject to the same tax laws as other liquor stores here, I can see first hand how much my state's backwards distribution laws have been screwing me all these years. Stuff is routinely 20% - 30% cheaper at the Knoxville Total Wine than it is in Chattanooga.

ScoobaDawg
08-28-2020, 04:26 PM
I like Dickel a lot.

Can't stand Dickel juice at all. Not certain I like any whisky from tn.

breazy
08-29-2020, 11:14 PM
Been deinking blue note snall batch lately. Good stuff memphis made. Also basil haydens (drunk spelling) and despite the disdain for bo bounds 4 roses small batch and single barrel

defiantdog
08-29-2020, 11:46 PM
Hancock single barrel is pretty damn good - hard find though. My every day is Old Forester Statesman (their 1910 is a close second).

dawgoneyall
08-30-2020, 10:11 AM
Whiskey doesn?t age after being bottled.

State82
08-30-2020, 10:57 AM

Yeah that had me scratching my head. Did not see how that could be possible.

FISHDAWG
08-31-2020, 11:48 AM

does wine continue to age ?

SapperDawg
08-31-2020, 12:00 PM
Here is a good whiskey cocktail for you all, this has been my COVID staple.

Old Pal
2 parts bourbon (or rye). I prefer a higher proof, at least 100.
1 part Campari
1 part dry vermouth.

Shake with ice, then serve over an ice ball. Enjoy.

Pre-make option: Make these in two cup batches and store in a Mason Jar placed in the freezer. Remove, shake and serve.

dawgoneyall
08-31-2020, 12:27 PM
Yes....but. There is always a but

BrunswickDawg
08-31-2020, 12:30 PM
does wine continue to age ?

Yes, but that is because wine is fermented and wiskey is distilled.