PDA

View Full Version : TOUKI to Vandy

bully99
11-05-2013, 09:20 PM
No surprise ..I said several weeks ago on here to watch vandy. They have become the Kentucky of baseball.

Players think they can go to ky for one
year and go nba and make millions. Top pitchers think if they don't go pro our of high school they can go to vandy and after three years get lots of money

drafted high and make lots of money
That's the result of having several high

It's a powerful selling point to recruits
profile players in the bigs.

messageboardsuperhero
11-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Oh well, he probably wouldn't have made it to campus for us anyway.

Vandy probably has a better chance of getting him not to sign.

bully99
11-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Sorry about my thread ..tried to edit and it messed up. In other words I told you so

MsStateBaseball
11-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Very disappointed. We worked hard to get him. Our facilities and history are better than Vandys. Our pitching coach is far better. Prob education beat us out.

ShotgunDawg
11-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Butch is an exceptional pitching coach, but go look at the Vandy pitchers that have made it to MLB. Hard to argue with a pitcher going to Vandy. Plus, the kid is going in the top 10 picks of the draft. Probably not going to college.

bully99
11-05-2013, 09:49 PM
I doubt education was a factor..like I said they have a big recruiting tool right now. I agree he probably enjoyed MSU more but it's all about the dollars.

bully99
11-05-2013, 09:56 PM
I've seen a lot of players committing on twitter. Is Wednesday signing day. Are we signing anybody.

ScottH
11-05-2013, 10:53 PM
We will get there with committing the early rounders.

And after we sign one or two we'll get one on campus.

Vandy is selling the David Price etc. model and their goofy loophole scholarships. Good for them for doing so.

We made the finals with no early round high school draftees on the team last year. Don't recall them making the finals yet.

Touki sorta came out of the blue for us. Wish we had gotten him. Now I hope he goes pro.

The benefit of the Omaha run won't be seen until next year.

Todd4State
11-05-2013, 11:08 PM
It would have been very nice to have him committed, but I think he will go pro. He lives with his Mom and they are from Haiti, and he has a legit chance to be a first round pick.

If we keep going on the path that we are, we will start to get more and more high profile recruits- we are just starting.

Todd4State
11-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Butch is an exceptional pitching coach, but go look at the Vandy pitchers that have made it to MLB. Hard to argue with a pitcher going to Vandy. Plus, the kid is going in the top 10 picks of the draft. Probably not going to college.

They lost their really good pitching coach to the Cubs a couple of years ago. He was the guy behind the Price's, Sower's, Sonny Gray, etc. We'll see if their new pitching coach can measure up.

Lefthandersrule
11-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Vandy is an also ran. He will go pro. He's just committing to them for show.

AlSwearengen
11-06-2013, 12:07 AM
I could be wrong, but three or four more years of not living up to expectations at the end of the year and their shine will wear off. They have nashville and a vandy education going for them though.

Todd4State
11-06-2013, 12:34 AM
I could be wrong, but three or four more years of not living up to expectations at the end of the year and their shine will wear off. They have nashville and a vandy education going for them though.

They also had Tennessee in the dumps going for them. Dave Serrano is one of the best pitching coaches in the country- and I think they will be a lot better this year.

Ronny
11-06-2013, 03:46 AM
..LSU is the Kentucky of baseball.

If you are going to drown Vandy in accolades allow them first to have more than one CWS appearance.

That's right. I looked it up on wikipedia: Vanderbilt has only one CWS appearance, & that was in 2011.

They only have 12 NCAA tourney appearances in their history.

I get you think this pitcher is the bomb, but temper your comparisons in your exuberance to tout his greatness.

bully99
11-06-2013, 06:20 AM
I never touted his or Vanderbilt 's greatness. Right now vandy has a perception, real or imagined by pitchers that vandy will turn them into a first rounder making lots of money and a quick path to the bigs. Has nothing to do with cws and winning history. Lsu has six national titles. We have zero. If every player just picked a school based on winning we could never outrecruit lsu. Kentucky has a perception by players of going there and becoming NBA stars.
Everytime I turned on the TV or radio during the playoffs they were talking about Vanderbilt pitchers. That's a powerful recruiting tool. You got it?

Jack Lambert
11-06-2013, 08:50 AM
I never touted his or Vanderbilt 's greatness. Right now vandy has a perception, real or imagined by pitchers that vandy will turn them into a first rounder making lots of money and a quick path to the bigs. Has nothing to do with cws and winning history. Lsu has six national titles. We have zero. If every player just picked a school based on winning we could never outrecruit lsu. Kentucky has a perception by players of going there and becoming NBA stars.
Everytime I turned on the TV or radio during the playoffs they were talking about Vanderbilt pitchers. That's a powerful recruiting tool. You got it?

KY perception is based on 60 years of winning and that's not going any where however Vandy's perception is very new and I seriously doubt it has any lasting effects if they can't get to the CWC on a regular bases.

bully99
11-06-2013, 09:34 AM
You keep talking about history and tradition. You don't have to go to the cws every year to have a good baseball program. We've been to the cws 4 times in the last 20 years ..is that going every year? It's far less than many programs, so I guess that means we shouldn't ever get good recruits. Who knows if it will last, but right now they have a history that's appealing to a lots of pitchers.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 09:56 AM
..LSU is the Kentucky of baseball.

If you are going to drown Vandy in accolades allow them first to have more than one CWS appearance.

That's right. I looked it up on wikipedia: Vanderbilt has only one CWS appearance, & that was in 2011.

They only have 12 NCAA tourney appearances in their history.

I get you think this pitcher is the bomb, but temper your comparisons in your exuberance to tout his greatness.

Baseball is a different sport than basketball. Takes much more luck to make it to the CWS than it does the Final Four for elite teams.

No one can deny that Vandy as had plenty of talent and coaching to get to Omaha.

There isn't a Kentucky or Alabama in SEC baseball. However, Vandy is the closets thing, but only with pitchers. Vandy recruits pitchers like UK and Bama recruits basketball and football players.

During the Derrick Johnson era, Vandy was out producing most MLB organizations in developing pitchers.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2013, 09:59 AM
You keep talking about history and tradition. You don't have to go to the cws every year to have a good baseball program. We've been to the cws 4 times in the last 20 years ..is that going every year? It's far less than many programs, so I guess that means we shouldn't ever get good recruits. Who knows if it will last, but right now they have a history that's appealing to a lots of pitchers.

Going to the CWS has little to do with why top baseball recruits choose schools. A solid track record of increasing the draft stock of players between their senior year of high school and junior year of college is what the decision comes down to, and Vandy has done that better than anyone.

maroonmania
11-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Very disappointed. We worked hard to get him. Our facilities and history are better than Vandys. Our pitching coach is far better. Prob education beat us out.

Oh well, its amazing how Corbin has made Vandy the baseball program it is now. I went up for the MSU-Vandy Sunday game in Nashville last year and the game day experience there still doesn't compare to Dudy Noble. There were a few thousand folks there but still lots of empty seats (though it was technically a sell out) in a facility that doesn't hold anywhere near what ours holds. To have a team having the incredible year Vandy was having last year I was surprised there wasn't more interest in them given the population of people sitting in Nashville. At the time we were still struggling pretty mightily in the middle of the SEC season but there were still a pretty high percentage of MSU fans there at that game.

MarketingBully01
11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Shit, now we are downing the baseball program? Geez folks give it a rest!!!

messageboardsuperhero
11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Baseball is a different sport than basketball. Takes much more luck to make it to the CWS than it does the Final Four for elite teams.

No one can deny that Vandy as had plenty of talent and coaching to get to Omaha.

There isn't a Kentucky or Alabama in SEC baseball. However, Vandy is the closets thing, but only with pitchers. Vandy recruits pitchers like UK and Bama recruits basketball and football players.

During the Derrick Johnson era, Vandy was out producing most MLB organizations in developing pitchers.

I'd say LSU is the closest thing, but I see your point

messageboardsuperhero
11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Shit, now we are downing the baseball program? Geez folks give it a rest!!!

Who is "downing the baseball program?" I see absolutely no one doing that.

M.Fillmore
11-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Vandy is selling the David Price etc. model and their goofy loophole scholarships. Good for them for doing so.

What are the "goofy loophole scholarships" for Vandy?

Jack Lambert
11-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Did we offer him a full or a partial?

MarketingBully01
11-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Bully99 in my opinion was saying whoa is me we lost a player that odds are really good he is going in the draft and not even coming to college. Heck, we had got in on him late and did a great job to be in the position we were in. Just my two cents though.