PDA

View Full Version : Damn Leach Gets It....

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2020, 09:45 AM
I?ve been shouting this for years only to have the inferiority complex people and pump the brakes crowd argue against it.

Leach 17ing gets. He?s going to win big here because he understand how special Mississippi is.

1297310596698955784?s=21

https://twitter.com/daveemerickmsu/status/1297310596698955784?s=21

https://twitter.com/daveemerickmsu/status/1297310596698955784?s=21

confucius say
08-23-2020, 10:07 AM
His post practice presser yesterday was good stuff. On several different levels. I recommend watching it

maroonmania
08-23-2020, 12:08 PM
What Leach says is absolutely true. The challenge Leach will have, like all coaches before him, is getting MS HS recruits to buy into MSU (or even OM) rather than propping up the likes of Alabama, LSU, Auburn, etc. Besides having a smaller population state, MS loses WAY more of its Top 10 recruits to neighboring states than it ever gets back. Pretty common for top MS players to go to schools in Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia etc. but extremely rare for MSU to ever pull a Top 10 recruit out of any of those states even though those states produce more D1 prospects. The other challenge on top of that is that Leach, while no doubt an offensive guru, is not in any way thought of as an elite recruiter. Mullen and Freeze did a good job stemming the tide of that for a few years but now it seems the "stay in state" pitch has really lost momentum.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2020, 12:14 PM
What Leach says is absolutely true. The challenge Leach will have, like all coaches before him, is getting MS HS recruits to buy into MSU (or even OM) rather than propping up the likes of Alabama, LSU, Auburn, etc. Besides having a smaller population state, MS loses WAY more of its Top 10 recruits to neighboring states than it ever gets back. Pretty common for top MS players to go to schools in Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia etc. but extremely rare for MSU to ever pull a Top 10 recruit out of any of those states even though those states produce more D1 prospects. The other challenge on top of that is that Leach, while no doubt an offensive guru, is not in any way thought of as an elite recruiter. Mullen and Freeze did a good job stemming the tide of that for a few years but now it seems the "stay in state" pitch has really lost momentum.

Yup

Offshore Dawg
08-23-2020, 03:06 PM
I'm thinking Leach is what the Dawgs needed all along

Lord McBuckethead
08-23-2020, 04:54 PM

Agreed. He isnpretty much exactly like us.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2020, 04:56 PM

I believe so as well.

ScoobaDawg
08-24-2020, 03:02 PM
I?ve been shouting this for years only to have the inferiority complex people and pump the brakes crowd argue against it.

Leach 17ing gets. He?s going to win big here because he understand how special Mississippi is.

1297310596698955784?s=21

PM sent... let me know if you have a question.. instead of keep fixing your tweets and posting the instructions here. Hope it helps.

ScoobaDawg
08-24-2020, 03:05 PM
Leach seems to get it. it's time we get some more offensive bodies into the league.

It's gonna be fun boys...

Commercecomet24
08-24-2020, 03:12 PM
One thing Leach's teams will not be is boring. They and he will be entertaining for sure. I read an article one time a guy wrote about the Cubs. He said they used to pack the stadium even when they were bad because they were entertaining and the lovable losers, then they became mediocre and dull and attendance declined.The article said people will come to watch you if you're really good or even bad as long as your entertaining, but the one thing you can not become is boring, because then nobody cares. Lot of truth in that.

Todd4State
08-24-2020, 03:35 PM
One thing Leach's teams will not be is boring. They and he will be entertaining for sure. I read an article one time a guy wrote about the Cubs. He said they used to pack the stadium even when they were bad because they were entertaining and the lovable losers, then they became mediocre and dull and attendance declined.The article said people will come to watch you if you're really good or even bad as long as your entertaining, but the one thing you can not become is boring, because then nobody cares. Lot of truth in that.

I think the problem MSU has had the past few years with football is multifold.

The thing about MSU fans is while we are "good people" we are also hard working people if nothing else. There is a minimum expectation that our sports teams work hard. And that was probably the biggest problem with Moorhead. There was definitely questionable work ethic that was allowed by Moorhead. And then to have the gall to tell our fans that we don't know what we're talking about and to go kick rocks because we criticized that...he's lucky he made it to the Music City Bowl. To me his most impressive feat was managing to piss off most of our fans after a top 10 memorable Egg Bowl win.

That brings me to the athletic administration. I feel like they have just been doing basically the same things with football since Byrne left and it has just gotten stale along with the rotten product on the field. Lots of excuses made but very little in the way of looking for solutions. I remember when Dan was here- "If you aren't happy with 8 win seasons over people we should beat then you'll never be happy!" Along with the constant coddling of him and his country club. It just made us look weak. And then the Moorhead search in hindsight was completely botched because of the poor lil MSU attitude of "All we can hire are rising football assistants". And then our compliance department is stuck in 1996. The fans are ready to move forward but for awhile I don't think the MSU administration was.

That said- I think this past season was a major wake up call for the MSU administration. Hiring Leach was a huge step in the right direction- although I still think we probably dodged a bullet when the Giants hired Joe Judge. I'm just not sold on us being able to take on that kind of risk again- even if Judge turns out to be great. Leach is what we need right now- a proven head coach that can do more with less. And at the same time we have more resources than he has worked with ever before. And he actually appreciates being at MSU. Leach will be able to attract the skill players and QB's which we aren't accustomed to doing. All we have to do is continue to attract defensive and o-line talent at our present average and then I think we will start to take steps towards moving up from an 8 win team a year to a 9-10 win team a year. At the very least Leach gives us a chance to win games against more talented teams whereas I didn't really feel like that was possible since 2015.

MSU needs to use this pandemic wisely and get their game operations down really well which should be easier with fewer people allowed in the stadium.