PDA

View Full Version : New NCAA rule basically giving every player a pass on eligibility this year

Todd4State
08-21-2020, 06:42 PM
Is going to make our roster interesting for the next 5-6 years.

A guy like Will Rogers could be our QB for the 24-25 season. It almost combines our class from last year with this year's class. Everyone is getting a free year to develop players. And then the class of 2022 in Mississippi is already looking strong especially on the defensive side of the ball. We really could be set up well in a few years because I imagine Alabama and LSU are still going to lose most of their better guys to the NFL.

Essentially everyone has become BYU for about half of a decade.

Homedawg
08-21-2020, 06:48 PM
Is going to make our roster interesting for the next 5-6 years.

A guy like Will Rogers could be our QB for the 24-25 season. It almost combines our class from last year with this year's class. Everyone is getting a free year to develop players. And then the class of 2022 in Mississippi is already looking strong especially on the defensive side of the ball. We really could be set up well in a few years because I imagine Alabama and LSU are still going to lose most of their better guys to the NFL.

Essentially everyone has become BYU for about half of a decade.

Just as baseball expect this to be an epic f up from the start. .... this is a trickle down mess.

BeardoMSU
08-21-2020, 07:06 PM
... this is a trickle down mess.

I'm curious about how this will get figured out as well.

Just on the surface, I do think it will benefit programs like us more so than the blue bloods, though, as their elite players will be going pro regardless.

Homedawg
08-21-2020, 08:14 PM

Just on the surface, I do think it will benefit programs like us more so than the blue bloods, though, as their elite players will be going pro regardless.

If it's just like baseball, and the sr don't count against the number, and I expect that to be the case it could help us more. But it's a long term mess wo upping limits. Just Typical stupidity.

Cowbell
08-21-2020, 08:29 PM
If it's just like baseball, and the sr don't count against the number, and I expect that to be the case it could help us more. But it's a long term mess wo upping limits. Just Typical stupidity.
Yeah are they planning on no seniors counting the first year only? Cause then year 2 you would have to recruit a lot less kids.

Jack Lambert
08-21-2020, 08:30 PM

Where it will help us vs blue blood is depth chart. We will have more depth a depth they already have. Just opinion.

Homedawg
08-21-2020, 08:32 PM
Yeah are they planning on no seniors counting the first year only? Cause then year 2 you would have to recruit a lot less kids.

That's what the baseball coaches have been told. The football people I've spoken w thus far don't know for sure but it's a mess for a while wo upping limits.

Cooterpoot
08-21-2020, 08:47 PM
Just means kids will get processed.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Just means kids will get processed.

According to Daniel Jeremiah, players using their extra year won?t count vs the 85 or in our case 83 for in 2021

So, if Costello were to come back, we could have 84. If Hill also comes back then we could have 85. And so on and so on.

Yes, it will help our depth if guys stay.

https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1296915627915882496?s=21

Quaoarsking
08-21-2020, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't expect KJ or Hill to return in 2021, but we might be really good if they both did. Glad to know they at least have the option.

Quaoarsking
08-21-2020, 09:29 PM
We might see some NCAA career records fall over the next few years, as some players somewhere will start for 5 solid years.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2020, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't expect KJ or Hill to return in 2021, but we might be really good if they both did. Glad to know they at least have the option.

Kylin - no chance

Costello - 10% chance. Depends on how good he is this year. No reason to leave as a 5th-7th rounder

Kobe Jones - 55%

Marquiss Spencer - 30%

Errol - 2%

Osiris Mitchell - 40% depends on his year.

Fred Peters - 60%

Eiland - 50%

Payton - 60%. 2 years with Leach could give him an NFL career

Parker - 30%

Jones - 60%

CJ Morgan - 70%

I think in all you’ll see our JUCO guys really use it the most. They benefit the most from the extra year because most of them never red shirted and weren’t quite ready for the SEC their 1st year at MSU

Jack Lambert
08-21-2020, 10:02 PM
If all this is true it a peace offering to the Big 10 Parents.

BeardoMSU
08-21-2020, 10:06 PM
Kylin - no chance

Costello - 10% chance. Depends on how good he is this year. No reason to leave as a 5th-7th rounder

Kobe Jones - 55%

Marquiss Spencer - 30%

Errol - 2%

Osiris Mitchell - 40% depends on his year.

Fred Peters - 60%

Eiland - 50%

Payton - 60%. 2 years with Leach could give him an NFL career

Parker - 30%

Jones - 60%

CJ Morgan - 70%

I think in all you’ll see our JUCO guys really use it the most. They benefit the most from the extra year because most of them never red shirted and weren’t quite ready for the SEC their 1st year at MSU

Will this policy apply to former players? Would be great if Dak could get that 6th year.**

Cooterpoot
08-22-2020, 08:44 AM
According to Daniel Jeremiah, players using their extra year won?t count vs the 85 or in our case 83 for in 2021

So, if Costello were to come back, we could have 84. If Hill also comes back then we could have 85. And so on and so on.

Yes, it will help our depth if guys stay.

https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1296915627915882496?s=21

I mean overall, you'll see teams processing kids. Schools can't afford scholarships beyond a certain number. The NCAA isn't going to cover that cost. Already have seen it in baseball.

Quaoarsking
08-22-2020, 09:56 AM
We might see some NCAA career records fall over the next few years, as some players somewhere will start for 5 solid years.

School records too. Our career records in receiving are 199 catches (Ross), 2,528 yards (Ross), and 24 touchdowns (Bumphis). I could see Tyrell Shavers or even Austin William's approaching or beating those marks if they have 3 years to do it in a Leach offense.

Osirus Mitchell is currently at 60/908/10 and might have a shot at the last 2 at least in 2 years.