PDA

View Full Version : I?m Getting Good Vibes About Our Program and Leach

ShotgunDawg
08-19-2020, 10:22 PM
Hey... who knows what?ll happen when we get blown out at least once this year, but in reading through the player?s quotes and tweets tonight, here are a few observations.

1. The sense of entitlement appears to be gone. We?ve got a new culture. Real generals with real standards tend to fix those things quickly

2. The players respect Leach. You can tell they know what he does works and they appreciate him being their coach.

3. Things are much more fast paced at practice. Many more reps

4. They are having fun. Players like to be coached hard and being successful. There is a mountain of video that shows the success of Leach when things are executed and the players realize that.

Anybody else feeling the same or have anything to add?

Dawgology
08-19-2020, 10:25 PM
I’m optimistic. Leach is the right kind of unique to make it work in Starkville. I think it will take a couple seasons to get rolling but if he can do what he wants to do AND we maintain quality defensive talent then we have a chance to take the next step.

Todd4State
08-19-2020, 11:48 PM
I think Leach is Jackie 2.0 but will likely have more overall success due to the current status of our program and the P5 than Jackie did.

We may very well have more WTF losses under Leach than we did under Dan- like Jackie. But I also think we will end up having better success against better teams than we did under Dan as well.

Also- reading about Joe Judge with the Giants. I think we may have dodged a bullet. He sounds like he is handling things like Croom did here. Then again he may just fit in better in college. Time will tell.

Jack Lambert
08-19-2020, 11:57 PM
I’m optimistic. Leach is the right kind of unique to make it work in Starkville. I think it will take a couple seasons to get rolling but if he can do what he wants to do AND we maintain quality defensive talent then we have a chance to take the next step.

He has won everywhere he has been.

FISHDAWG
08-20-2020, 07:04 AM
I agree.... It's easy to get wooly knowing we have a proven HC instead of an experiment with a coordinator .... the trick will be for us to temper our expectations in his first year or two and give him some room to orchestrate

BrunswickDawg
08-20-2020, 07:18 AM
I agree.... It's easy to get wooly knowing we have a proven HC instead of an experiment with a coordinator .... the trick will be for us to temper our expectations in his first year or two and give him some room to orchestrate

And he brought most of his staff with him - so they know each other, know the routine, and understand the expectations. That is a big deal too. Helps the overall learning curve.

TrapGame
08-20-2020, 08:22 AM
And he brought most of his staff with him - so they know each other, know the routine, and understand the expectations. That is a big deal too. Helps the overall learning curve.

Yep. Beats the hell outta your new coaches telling you your offense isn't gonna work in the SEC after you've explained it to them.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2020, 08:37 AM
Yep. Beats the hell outta your new coaches telling you your offense isn't gonna work in the SEC after you've explained it to them.

Did that really happen?

Tbonewannabe
08-20-2020, 08:45 AM
Did that really happen?

Wasn't Hudspeth in Moorhead's first coaching staff? I wonder if he said something to Joe.

Johnson85
08-20-2020, 08:55 AM
I think Leach is Jackie 2.0 but will likely have more overall success due to the current status of our program and the P5 than Jackie did.

We may very well have more WTF losses under Leach than we did under Dan- like Jackie. But I also think we will end up having better success against better teams than we did under Dan as well.

Also- reading about Joe Judge with the Giants. I think we may have dodged a bullet. He sounds like he is handling things like Croom did here. Then again he may just fit in better in college. Time will tell.

It is still mind blowing to me that after hiring Moorhead, Cohen was going to hire somebody with no coordinator experience and essentially no college experience to be head coach. Judge may end up being great, but Cohen had no business making that call. We just couldn't afford that risky of a hire after two years of Moorhead.

TrapGame
08-20-2020, 08:58 AM
Did that really happen?

Rumors. Take it with a grain of salt. But those coaches jumping ship after the first year should have been a red flag on fire. Also heard Joey Jones told Joe to his face his offense was "horse shit". Again, take it with a grain of salt.

Captain Falcon
08-20-2020, 10:25 AM
We will see what his W/L record looks like the next couple of years, but I knew from the get-go that his structure and approach to things would fit like a glove with our fanbase. And our players want to win and they realize that Leach knows how to help them do that. These guys want to be pushed if it helps them succeed. A lot of them either signed with or played for Mullen so a disciplined, intense style of system is what they signed up for to begin with.

Take this season with a grain of salt because we could go 4-6 and still be a good team. And it may take a year or two for Leach to really get the culture of the program how it needs to be. But this guy has been around a long time and won in multiple major conferences. No reason to think he can't have success here too.

TrapGame
08-20-2020, 10:31 AM
Wasn't Hudspeth in Moorhead's first coaching staff? I wonder if he said something to Joe.

The big rumor that really has legs is Hud and Johnson came up with the game plan for Auburn. They were trying to show Joe he had to adapt his offense. This was the infamous "I remembered to take my coaching pills" game. With Hud and Johnson adapting Joe's offense that season we would've won 10 games easy.

KOdawg1
08-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Rumors. Take it with a grain of salt. But those coaches jumping ship after the first year should have been a red flag on fire. Also heard Joey Jones told Joe to his face his offense was "horse shit". Again, take it with a grain of salt.
Joey Jones was horse shit too. Special teams was awful last year.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2020, 10:38 AM

The entire offensive staff was horseshit

TrapGame
08-20-2020, 10:48 AM
The entire offensive staff was horseshit

Yep. That was the problem. From top down.

TrapGame
08-20-2020, 10:50 AM

Joey and Joe didn't get along from what I've heard. Joey just didn't give a shit b/c neither did Joe. We were paying Joe to be the players' best friend and not a coach.

confucius say
08-20-2020, 02:54 PM
My biggest fear with leach is him saying something some deem controversial and getting in trouble over it.

He's also aloof. To the point that he didn't know if Tyler Williams was a practice Monday and appeared to not know who cj Morgan was when rosebowl asked a question about cj's health. Maybe he just doesn't pay attention to defensive guys.

Those are my fears and me being negative.

Homedawg
08-20-2020, 02:59 PM

um again, that's on Head Joe.

BrunswickDawg
08-20-2020, 03:04 PM
My biggest fear with leach is him saying something some deem controversial and getting in trouble over it.

He's also aloof. To the point that he didn't know if Tyler Williams was a practice Monday and appeared to not know who cj Morgan was when rosebowl asked a question about cj's health. Maybe he just doesn't pay attention to defensive guys.

I bet he has spent zero time with most of the defensive guys. First, he's focusing on installing the offense. Second, he's basically only had Zoom contact with them prior to what, 10 days ago?
Hell, didn't Jackie only know players by number? All those press conferences where I heard "Number 7 has a knee, Number 69 has a hammy", etc. etc. lol

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2020, 03:04 PM

15 bowl games in 18 years

TrapGame
08-20-2020, 03:48 PM
I bet he has spent zero time with most of the defensive guys. First, he's focusing on installing the offense. Second, he's basically only had Zoom contact with them prior to what, 10 days ago?
Hell, didn't Jackie only know players by number? All those press conferences where I heard "Number 7 has a knee, Number 69 has a hammy", etc. etc. lol

If we had a 5 star edge rusher he'd know that dude's name. Otherwise, he has the offense to worry about. He wants his DC to do his job and earn his pay.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2020, 03:52 PM
If we had a 5 star edge rusher he'd know that dude's name. Otherwise, he has the offense to worry about. He wants his DC to do his job and earn his pay.

Leach seems like the type that doesn't know anyone's name but knows everyone's number.

Coach, who is Kylin Hill? uhhhhh, cough, cough, Kylin who? Hill?

Coach, how do feel about number 8 on your roster? Oh, number 8 is really good. From Columbus, runs a 4.5, can catch the ball out of the backfield, etc...

thf24
08-20-2020, 03:58 PM

He made it 8 seasons and left of his own accord in the PAC-12, so he can't be that much of a routinely loose cannon. Hopefully the Twitter incident earlier this year was an outlier.

TrapGame
08-20-2020, 04:04 PM
Leach seems like the type that doesn't know anyone's name but knows everyone's number.

Coach, who is Kylin Hill? uhhhhh, cough, cough, Kylin who? Hill?

Coach, how do feel about number 8 on your roster? Oh, number 8 is really good. From Columbus, runs a 4.5, can catch the ball out of the backfield, etc...

As cerebral as he is that makes sense.

Johnson85
08-20-2020, 05:09 PM
He made it 8 seasons and left of his own accord in the PAC-12, so he can't be that much of a routinely loose cannon. Hopefully the Twitter incident earlier this year was an outlier.

The twitter incident wasn't an outlier for him as far as his behavior; it was just a fluke combination of him posting a stupid meme, us having a player wanting to transfer and looking for an excuse for a waiver, an AD that made some ridiculous PR solutions (waiting until after it had died down to comment and throw Leach under the bus), and us being at a particularly crazy time as far as having outrage mobs looking for their next excuse to get outraged.

I'm not sure there is anything else like a noose though, where a normal person would use it in a context that obviously had nothing to do with anything racial and people could blow it up like that.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-20-2020, 06:06 PM
The big rumor that really has legs is Hud and Johnson came up with the game plan for Auburn. They were trying to show Joe he had to adapt his offense. This was the infamous "I remembered to take my coaching pills" game. With Hud and Johnson adapting Joe's offense that season we would've won 10 games easy.

And we didn?t use a jet sweep the rest of the year after gashing Auburn with it.

Quaoarsking
08-20-2020, 06:11 PM

It's actually 16/18, and the only reason for those 2 is because he was taking over for a guy who had 6 FBS wins over 4 years.

confucius say
08-20-2020, 07:20 PM

Not questioning his coaching acumen.

I just hope he has another decade of his prime left in him.

Percho
08-20-2020, 09:42 PM
The twitter incident wasn't an outlier for him as far as his behavior; it was just a fluke combination of him posting a stupid meme, us having a player wanting to transfer and looking for an excuse for a waiver, an AD that made some ridiculous PR solutions (waiting until after it had died down to comment and throw Leach under the bus), and us being at a particularly crazy time as far as having outrage mobs looking for their next excuse to get outraged.

I'm not sure there is anything else like a noose though, where a normal person would use it in a context that obviously had nothing to do with anything racial and people could blow it up like that.

Amen.

I pray Leach will always be who he has always been.