PDA

View Full Version : Qucik, what does going to 10 straight bowl games, previous #1 ranking, numerous top

TaleofTwoDogs
08-17-2020, 11:38 PM
NFL players, current Johnny Unitas award nominated QB, the SEC leading back, experienced winning head coach, top facilities and national ranked recruiting do for a football program?
Well, if you are in the sports media world absolutely nothing. From the SEC Network on down, we are considered bottom dwellers competing with Vandy for the dirt at the bottom of the barrel.

You have to go back quite a ways to see this much lack of respect from the media. Did Moorhead push us that far down the chute? Middle of the pack seems fair, but bottom feeder, no.

Crazy.

Lord McBuckethead
08-18-2020, 12:45 AM
Yes. Morehead eliminated our currency. It could be easier to get back than the initial build, but yes. He squandered it.

bluelightstar
08-18-2020, 01:33 AM
NFL players, current Johnny Unitas award nominated QB, the SEC leading back, experienced winning head coach, top facilities and national ranked recruiting do for a football program?
Well, if you are in the sports media world absolutely nothing. From the SEC Network on down, we are considered bottom dwellers competing with Vandy for the dirt at the bottom of the barrel.

You have to go back quite a ways to see this much lack of respect from the media. Did Moorhead push us that far down the chute? Middle of the pack seems fair, but bottom feeder, no.

Crazy.

Half of our SEC games were totally non-competitive last year. I mean, we looked like a Sun Belt tuneup game.

Cooterpoot
08-18-2020, 03:02 AM
I don't think we're going to have a good record. Playing conference only is tough. Still not sure we even play with the way outbreaks are happening in schools. Going to be tough. I think we're two years from being very good.
Moorhead is the worst thing to happen to our program since I've been a fan.

Ari Gold
08-18-2020, 06:14 AM
We are always going to be punching bag for the SEC network with football and especially for douche bag Finebaum .. same shit different year ..

For all the bad that happened the last 2 years with the program and agree Joe wasn’t a good fit at all,
We did go 1-1 with Aub and Texas Am and beat OM twice...
The recruiting results were basically the same , and Joe actually did a good job at balancing out the roster a little better. It’s not like CML is coming into a shit program and terrible roster.

Among other things The locker room was the main issue it was lost , gone, straight up disaster.... but it doesn’t take too long to get that back with the right coach and staff and some of the bad apples either graduating or moving on...

The goal every year should be 4-4 / 5-3 in league play . This year 5-5 / 6-4

Unfortunately We made the Leach hire 2 years too late.. but oh well.. let’s just play some football this year and see what happens.

99jc
08-18-2020, 06:16 AM
i hated the Moorhead hire from the start and was very vocal about it. i was ostracized from the beginning most hardheads on here couldn't see the light till the locomotive hit them in the face. now were at the cleanup of the train wreak he left.

PGHBulldogBG
08-18-2020, 06:47 AM
i hated the Moorhead hire from the start and was very vocal about it. i was ostracized from the beginning most hardheads on here couldn't see the light till the locomotive hit them in the face. now were at the cleanup of the train wreak he left.

I didn?t like the hire from the beginning either. We had solid mid major head coaches like Scott Satterfield and Brown showing interest in our job. Why we hired Moorhead over those two is still baffling.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2020, 06:53 AM
I didn?t like the hire from the beginning either. We had solid mid major head coaches like Scott Satterfield and Brown showing interest in our job. Why we hired Moorhead over those two is still baffling.

Satterfield was the right guy.

If we had a do over, he would've been the HR

confucius say
08-18-2020, 07:04 AM

Crazy.

To the media, right or wrong, all of that stuff you listed is a product of dan mullen, not MSU.

Maroonthirteen
08-18-2020, 07:15 AM
State has no political or media stroke. A small fan base that doesn't spend on money.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2020, 07:30 AM
To the media, right or wrong, all of that stuff you listed is a product of dan mullen, not MSU.

This

College football is about your brand. MSU’s brand increased under Mullen and that should help when we start winning again

Population+ stadium size + winning + NFL players+ Uniforms = Brand = viewers = publicity = recruiting

Dawg2003
08-18-2020, 08:01 AM
You're only as good as your last game.

Matt3467
08-18-2020, 08:19 AM
The Moorhead hire was bizarre considering the names that were interested in the job (Whittingham). I didn't like it at first but I actually grew into liking Moorhead before his first season kicked off. I don't think any of us knew he would come in and do as bad as he did.

TrapGame
08-18-2020, 08:39 AM
Upset LSU game one and the bottom dweller narrative ends for the season. I'm sure Finebaum can't wait for Leach to fall on his face in the SEC as a HC. He's a bald headed punk. And how many times was Lane blown by the SECN staff last night? They act like this dude is Lincoln Riley. It was pathetic.

maroonmania
08-18-2020, 08:46 AM
The Moorhead hire was bizarre considering the names that were interested in the job (Whittingham). I didn't like it at first but I actually grew into liking Moorhead before his first season kicked off. I don't think any of us knew he would come in and do as bad as he did.

It seemed to me the situation was we had a green athletic director that was just trying to follow the formula that worked with Dan Mullen. That is hire what is considered a top notch OC off a big time P5 program that could still be a relatively cheap hire. The problem was that while we lucked up with Mullen, there is tremendous risk in a guy moving from a coordinator job to running the program. For every Mullen that works out there are 4 or 5 others that fail. I personally think there is more risk to doing that than hiring a HC moving up from G5 to P5. At least there you are doing the same job just on a bigger scale. Seems after Moorhead though Cohen learned his lesson and at least considered a much broader range of candidates.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2020, 09:00 AM
You're only as good as your last game.

Pretty sure this theory has been debunked. Not true

MedDawg
08-18-2020, 10:14 AM

As a Penn State grad/fan I was excited about Moorhead. I still would have preferred Whittingham, but I wonder how likely that was. I was still a Moorhead fan after year one--I was making excuses for him, and we did have a much more difficult schedule (#11 SOS) that Mullen faced after 2009. Took me until the UT game to have doubts then I was done for sure with Moorhead after the bowl loss to Louisville.

Mjoelner34
08-18-2020, 10:41 AM
My feelings on Shitshow Joe

1. Hiring: 100% behind it. Thought it was great.
2. Kentucky 2018: Dropped to 50% confidence. Thats a big, fast drop for someone who really liked the hire but you could tell then that something wasn't right.
3. Our offense in 2018 vs Florida, LSU and Iowa: Dropped to 25% confidence by the end of the year.
4. KState 2019: Done with his ass!
5. UT 2019: Went to the rest of the home games after that, made decision to keep tickets and parking pass for 2020 but was going to sell them on Stub Hub as soon as I got them. Wasn't going to waste my time watching Shitshow Joe anymore but didn't want to lose my seats and parking priority for the next coach.
6. Egg Bowl 2019: Beating his chest like he just beat Bama postgame when in reality he got gifted a game by an inferior team REALLY pissed me off! The bowl game only reinforced my plan to keep my tickets but to sell them. But, our performance, the fight and the reports of players skipping bowl practices gave me a little hope that Cohen and/or Keenum would pull the trigger. Thankfully it was pulled.

Percho
08-18-2020, 12:20 PM
My feelings on Shitshow Joe

1. Hiring: 100% behind it. Thought it was great.
2. Kentucky 2018: Dropped to 50% confidence. Thats a big, fast drop for someone who really liked the hire but you could tell then that something wasn't right.
3. Our offense in 2018 vs Florida, LSU and Iowa: Dropped to 25% confidence by the end of the year.
4. KState 2019: Done with his ass!
5. UT 2019: Went to the rest of the home games after that, made decision to keep tickets and parking pass for 2020 but was going to sell them on Stub Hub as soon as I got them. Wasn't going to waste my time watching Shitshow Joe anymore but didn't want to lose my seats and parking priority for the next coach.
6. Egg Bowl 2019: Beating his chest like he just beat Bama postgame when in reality he got gifted a game by an inferior team REALLY pissed me off! The bowl game only reinforced my plan to keep my tickets but to sell them. But, our performance, the fight and the reports of players skipping bowl practices gave me a little hope that Cohen and/or Keenum would pull the trigger. Thankfully it was pulled.

No. 2. You could all of what we had with No. 2.

Percho
08-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Who was the head coach when tutor gate was going on? Should the coaches have known about tutor gate in time to prevent it from happening?

msbulldog
08-18-2020, 12:27 PM
Hell I was ready to whip his big tall yankee ass, when he told us we could pound sand.

MaroonFlounder
08-18-2020, 12:27 PM
Half of our SEC games were totally non-competitive last year. I mean, we looked like a Sun Belt tuneup game.

Um...suspensions for 3 or 4 really good players for 2/3 of the season. And the games that JoMo held them out probably mentally told the rest of the team it was a "give up" situation.

I don't think we would have looked near as bad under normal circumstances.

maroonmania
08-18-2020, 12:38 PM
Who was the head coach when tutor gate was going on? Should the coaches have known about tutor gate in time to prevent it from happening?

Moorhead and probably. But the symptom was tutorgate. The disease was a total lack of discipline and accountability throughout the program. One or two guys involved in tutorgate could have been an anomaly. Ten guys involved showed it was a systemic culture disease within the program.

TrapGame
08-18-2020, 01:49 PM
Um...suspensions for 3 or 4 really good players for 2/3 of the season. And the games that JoMo held them out probably mentally told the rest of the team it was a "give up" situation.

I don't think we would have looked near as bad under normal circumstances.

Perhaps.

Although, you do open the conundrum that if those Tutorgate players contributed and we may have beaten K State and Tennesseee that Joe Moorhead would still be our head coach and not Mike Leach.

R2Dawg
08-18-2020, 03:56 PM

True per the media but that view is not factual. CDM is a good coach but MSU helped to make Dan Mullen too. CDM was no dummy; he knew he could make his name at MSU. Said so when hired. Lot of talent in Miss and JWS showed you can win with that talent.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2020, 03:59 PM
True per the media but that view is not factual. CDM is a good coach but MSU helped to make Dan Mullen too. CDM was no dummy; he knew he could make his name at MSU. Said so when hired. Lot of talent in Miss and JWS showed you can win with that talent.

MSU has a good culture for developing players, usually attracts coachable blue collar players, and typically has the local talent base to supply the program enough quality players to be competitive.

Beyond that, it’s all coaching

TaleofTwoDogs
08-18-2020, 04:27 PM
MSU has a good culture for developing players, usually attracts coachable blue collar players, and typically has the local talent base to supply the program enough quality players to be competitive.

Beyond that, it’s all coaching

But, you could say that about most programs. The school supplies the ingredients but the coach is the chef.