PDA

View Full Version : Schedule

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:14 PM
The first half of the schedule looks great

Go for broke against LSU & see what happens

Figure things out & whip Arkansas in week 2

That sets up a huge game week 3 @ KY before it gets cold in KY

Hopefully you're on a 2 game winning streak at that point with A&M coming in before the bye week

Week 7 - Vandy

Week 8 - Auburn Big comes at a great time after Vandy

msstate7
08-17-2020, 06:17 PM
I see 2-3 tops there.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:22 PM

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:23 PM
I see 2-3 tops there.

Huh? Wins?

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:23 PM
Having OM the week after Georgia really sucks. Only real bad thing I can find about the schedule

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:25 PM
The main thing IMO is though, this schedule lays out well.

Not saying we'll win 7 games, but we should have every opportunity to win the games we are good enough to win. There isn't a truly winnable game that is in a bad spot.

Skydawg1
08-17-2020, 06:26 PM
So are fans gonna be allowed or what? 25%? No fans at all?

BrunswickDawg
08-17-2020, 06:28 PM
The main thing IMO is though, this schedule lays out well.

Not saying we'll win 7 games, but we should have every opportunity to win the games we are good enough to win. There isn't a truly winnable game that is in a bad spot.

Definitely sets up better than the October we were originally facing.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:28 PM
So are fans gonna be allowed or what? 25%? No fans at all?

No clue. I'd guess 25% early in season & possibly more as the season progresses.

I don't think even Sankey knows the answer today though

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:30 PM
Definitely sets up better than the October we were originally facing.

Yeah. I was worried that the Kentucky game would be between Alabama & Georgia Or we'd have 3 straight weeks of LSU, Auburn, & Bama.

Again, not saying we set the world on fire, but we didn't get screwed by any means.

dantheman4248
08-17-2020, 06:32 PM
agreed shotgun. this schedule is designed to allow for a 7-3 run by us. not saying we'll lose that many, but A&M game is no longer stuck in murderer's row.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:34 PM
Here's how I think it plays out:

- We start 2-2. I'm guessing we beat KY but we may lose them, Leach talks about ugly girlfriends, & we take out A&M the next week
- The Auburn will be huge at home. The week after Vandy, we should be ready.
- I have absolutely no clue what we'll look like against Mizzou the week after the Egg Bowl. My sense is that we either lose both or win both. Either way, getting up the next week after the Egg Bowl is going to be hairy

https://i.imgur.com/XI3OQdF.jpg

msstate7
08-17-2020, 06:40 PM
Huh? Wins?

You added vandy and auburn after my comment. 2-3 is best case imo after 5 games. We are gonna really struggle to stop anyone imo

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:44 PM
You added vandy and auburn after my comment. 2-3 is best case imo after 5 games. We are gonna really struggle to stop anyone imo

Gotcha. If we have 3 wins after 5 games, we are in good shape

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:44 PM
- Of note, we play A&M after they've played Florida & Bama. Jimbo may be on life support at that point
- We get Auburn after a bye. You never know how those will end up.
- We get KY after Auburn & OM

Quaoarsking
08-17-2020, 06:46 PM

You think we lose to Texas A&M even in the best case?

msstate7
08-17-2020, 06:47 PM
- Of note, we play A&M after they've played Florida & Bama. Jimbo may be on life support at that point

That is a good time, but I think they get Florida before us

Skydawg1
08-17-2020, 06:47 PM
No clue. I'd guess 25% early in season & possibly more as the season progresses.

I don't think even Sankey knows the answer today thoughOk, thanks! I vote for NO FANS in Week 1!

was21
08-17-2020, 06:48 PM
May possibly win 3 games total

msstate7
08-17-2020, 06:48 PM
You think we lose to Texas A&M even in the best case?

Our defense is gonna be atrocious this year. Sell me on our D, and maybe I'll change my mind. We're also gonna be breaking in a totally new offense that doesn't fit our personnel.

dantheman4248
08-17-2020, 06:52 PM

I'd say 5. They won't cancel the season just cause LSU is upset. We'll have to beat Bama too.

DownwardDawg
08-17-2020, 06:53 PM

Or 7

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 06:53 PM
agreed shotgun. this schedule is designed to allow for a 7-3 run by us. not saying we'll lose that many, but A&M game is no longer stuck in murderer's row.

Another great prediction by you..... we aren't going 7-3. Zero chance. None. Not one. Better chance you become conservative.....

DownwardDawg
08-17-2020, 06:54 PM
Ole miss may win 2. Maybe 3.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:56 PM
Another great prediction by you..... we aren't going 7-3. Zero chance. None. Not one. Better chance you become conservative.....

3 wins = Boy Joe did more damage than I suspected.
4 wins = meh
5 wins = I like the way this is headed
6 wins = All aboard the Leach train
7 wins = Out of body experience in which I'm extremely skeptical because we probably had a ton of luck that isn't sustainable.

DownwardDawg
08-17-2020, 06:56 PM
Our defense is gonna be atrocious this year. Sell me on our D, and maybe I'll change my mind. We're also gonna be breaking in a totally new offense that doesn't fit our personnel.

I really think people are underestimating the value in how much better shape our players will be in. We may lack defensive personnel, but those players sucked ass last year due to softness. Not saying we gonna win the SEC but I think we'll be middle pack and I think we beat aTm because Jimbo is horrible.

DownwardDawg
08-17-2020, 06:57 PM
Oh, and welcome back Shotgun. Stop making those stupid bets. I hate those "loser leave town" bets. We always lose good posters.

starkvegasdawg
08-17-2020, 06:58 PM
What's the win total for bowl eligibility?

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 06:58 PM
I really think people are underestimating the value in how much better shape our players will be in. We may lack defensive personnel, but those players sucked ass last year due to softness. Not saying we gonna win the SEC but I think we'll be middle pack and I think we beat aTm because Jimbo is horrible.

I've made my mind up that I'm going to give the defense a pass this year & hope to see the Leach offense really grow & develop as the year progresses.

I feel that you can recruit enough good defensive players at MSU that the Leach program won't be held hostage, long term by a bad defense, & thus I won't be too concerned if it sucks this year.

My happiness this year will be based almost fully on the offense & toughness & organization of the team.

Anything good that we do on defense is gravy to me

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 07:00 PM
What's the win total for bowl eligibility?

We don't know yet. Odds are 4 wins, but I could see a 3 win team or two getting a bowl if slots need to be filled

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 07:00 PM
4 wins = meh
7 wins = Out of body experience in which I'm extremely skeptical because we probably had a ton of luck that isn't sustainable.

Our roster isn't set up to have a great offense Bc of lack of wr. W that said, qb be and ol should be good. But true lack of practice in this system is going to sting.....so there's hope there.... defense, no depth up front. Can't survive Wo it. Lb depends completely on jucos and how quickly they come along. Db yuck. No depth and not a sec starting 5 anyway. We better score if you want to get to 5.

dantheman4248
08-17-2020, 07:01 PM

I mean I'm all for 10-0 but there is totally a worst case scenario where we go 7-3.

William Tecumsah Sherman
I agree Shotgun. I want to see a team that is tough, disciplined, and coaching that has a game plan. Leach struggled for 3 years at WSU. Hopefully, we will se results quicker here

Homedawg
I've made my mind up that I'm going to give the defense a pass this year & hope to see the Leach offense really grow & develop as the year progresses.

I feel that you can recruit enough good defensive players at MSU that the Leach program won't be held hostage, long term by a bad defense, & thus I won't be too concerned if it sucks this year.

My happiness this year will be based almost fully on the offense & toughness & organization of the team.

I think that's fair. Unfortunately, our recruiting on that side doesn't make me warm and fuzzy about the future.

msstate7
08-17-2020, 07:03 PM
Food for thought on those predicting a winning season, we have 1 winning sec season since mullen got here.

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 07:03 PM
I mean I'm all for 10-0 but there is totally a worst case scenario where we go 7-3.

No chance. Zero. Not one.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 07:05 PM
Here's the thing that I think everyone knows but takes for granted....

Mike Charles Leach is a damn damn good head football coach & knows how to win football games.

This is a verifiable fact & has been proven time, and time, and time again.

If you think consistently beating Ole Miss, Kentucky, Arkansas, & Mizzouri on a consistent basis will be tough for him because they are "SEC teams", then you got another thing coming.

The man knows how to win football games. Know that, it's proven, & it'll likely in most year = more wins than you think we should get

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 07:05 PM
Food for thought on those predicting a winning season, we have 1 winning sec season since mullen got here.

True, but we've rarely had this many winnable SEC games on the schedule

maroonmania
08-17-2020, 07:09 PM
Biggest negative for me is having to play Auburn and Georgia in back to back weeks ahead of OM. We are going to be beaten up pretty good going into the Egg Bowl.

BeardoMSU
08-17-2020, 07:15 PM
True, but we've rarely had this many winnable SEC games on the schedule

True, and that oddity is also why I just can't fathom 7 wins. That would be the equivalent, in a normal season, to like a 10-2 (or 11-1) season. I just don't see us being that good.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 07:16 PM
True, and that oddity is also why I just can't fathom 7 wins. That would be the equivalent, in a normal season, to like a 10-2 (or 11-1) season. I just don't see us being that good.

It would be like 9-3.

Dawgology
08-17-2020, 07:17 PM
It’s time for some mother ****ing football.

Finally.

I think 3-7 is our floor with an outside shot at 6-4. Probably end up about 5-5. That’s fine. This is a glorified pre-season/training camp for next year.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 07:17 PM
Biggest negative for me is having to play Auburn and Georgia in back to back weeks ahead of OM. We are going to be beaten up pretty good going into the Egg Bowl.

Yeah. Where the Egg Bowl sits on the schedule is easily the worst part.

That being said, I try not to get worked up about late season games because you never know what the circumstances will be at that time. Particularly this year with COVID

BeardoMSU
08-17-2020, 07:21 PM
It would be like 9-3.

I'm not just referring to the switch of noncon games vs SEC games. The whole phenomenon of the situation I think adds extra difficulty that a normal season wouldn't have. Also taking into account how wins and losses aren't being weighed the same as normal seasons. A 7-3 season might get a playoff birth, especially with that schedule. Even teams like Bama, Georgia, Clemson, etc. are going to have losses this year, both from their all conference schedules, and from COVID complications.

Maroonthirteen
08-17-2020, 07:26 PM
Two things..... if you have to play LSU, play them first when they turned over an entire team. Coaches and starters. They won't be as sharp. Maybe we won't either but....I'll take them first game.

The egg bowl is not Thanksgiving DAy. Thank Goodness!!!!

Mobile Bay
08-17-2020, 07:30 PM
4 wins = meh

10 wins, ARRRGHHHH!

TrapGame
08-17-2020, 07:31 PM
I still think is going to be a wild and crazy season. I think we can win 5 games on that schedule. If we win 6 then Leach is taking us places soon.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 07:32 PM
10 wins, ARRRGHHHH!

You know, that would happen in a year with an asterisk & no playoff

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 07:33 PM
I still think is going to be a wild and crazy season. I think we can win 5 games on that schedule. If we win 6 then Leach is taking us places soon.

It will be crazy & none of our predictions have even touched on the idea that players for every team will miss games.

Like, what if Kellen Mond & Bo Nix don't play against us because they have COVID? What if Costello doesn't play againt Mizzouri?

BrunswickDawg
08-17-2020, 07:36 PM
Here's the thing that I think everyone knows but takes for granted....

Mike Charles Leach is a damn damn good head football coach & knows how to win football games.

This is a verifiable fact & has been proven time, and time, and time again.

If you think consistently beating Ole Miss, Kentucky, Arkansas, & Mizzouri on a consistent basis will be tough for him because they are "SEC teams", then you got another thing coming.

The man knows how to win football games. Know that, it's proven, & it'll likely in most year = more wins than you think we should get

And day one, he has more talent too to bottom on this roster than any roster hers had as a head coach (at least by star ratings). That may not win us more games, but to me it's an X factor that makes this season more unpredictable.

LC Dawg
08-17-2020, 07:37 PM
Playing 10 SEC games in 11 weeks favors the top (deeper) teams in the league. Having two bye weeks would have leveled it a little but the league doesn't want that. Our bye essentially does us no good coming before Bama. I guess I'm happy we're playing football but I think 5 wins is as good as we can hope for. That would be the equivalent of about 8-4 in a regular year but I think we are going to have some embarrassments on this schedule with all that's going on. We could be 2-6 going into the Egg Bowl and you never know how that will work out.
I hope Leach proves me wrong.

msstate7
Projected win totals per Action Network
Georgia 8.29
Alabama 7.89
Florida 7.66
TexasA&M 7.63
LSU 7.51
Auburn. 7.03
Ole Miss 5.12
Kentucky 4.73
Tennessee 4.67
SouthCarolina 4.09
Missouri 2.75
Mississippi State 2.35
Arkansas 0.96
Vanderbilt 0.33

Saw this on SPS

ETA... they have a 16-pt dog to OM. They have no credibility after I saw that.

Mobile Bay
You know, that would happen in a year with an asterisk & no playoff

I have been saying this for a while with Leach. We will win games we should not and lose games we should. With all this and the random number generator of COVID, I have no problem thing this is the year we beat LSU, Alabama, and lose to Vandy and Mizzou.

Especially Mizzou, that game scares me. It's going to be hard to get the team up for a post egg bowl game.

msstate7
08-17-2020, 07:38 PM
And day one, he has more talent too to bottom on this roster than any roster hers had as a head coach (at least by star ratings). That may not win us more games, but to me it's an X factor that makes this season more unpredictable.

That could be true, but he will see more talent than he has any other stop too.

Mobile Bay
08-17-2020, 07:44 PM
It will be crazy & none of our predictions have even touched on the idea that players for every team will miss games.

Most teams are still doing film study by position groups. Which happens in smaller rooms. So what happens when Alabama loses all but 1 LB and are now starting an underweight DE and an overweight safety there. What happens when our entire OL goes down and we are starting second string DL who last played as scout team OL in 10th grade? Oh look, LSU's top RB that is available last took a hand off in the Texas 3A high school state championship three years ago and has been a walk on TE ever since. That sort of stuff.

Its like that old game show Press Your Luck. There will be some Whammys in there that torpedo an entire season, and they are complexly unpredictable.

dantheman4248
08-17-2020, 07:53 PM

He was in the SEC east in the late 90s and the Big 12 in the early 00s. I think the talent level is similar to those two stops whether we want to admit it or not.

Quaoarsking
08-17-2020, 07:57 PM
It would be like 9-3.

It would probably be like 10-2 unless Georgia is one of the wins, since we wouldn't play them without the pandemic.

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 08:01 PM

Like, what if Kellen Mond & Bo Nix don't play against us because they have COVID? What if Costello doesn't play againt Mizzouri?
If it gets to that there will be no football so take that out of the equation

Commercecomet24
08-17-2020, 08:01 PM
Y'all should go follow Coach Sherrill on Facebook. He's been going off on the ncaa and the conferences who don't want to
play since last week. Pretty entertaining. Love JWS!

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 08:05 PM

Exactly.

Maybe we'll suck this year. I'm not calling my shot, but our foundation for comparison are JoMo coached teams. He sucked, was awful.

We'll be much better than last year. I have no doubt.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2020, 08:07 PM
If it gets to that there will be no football so take that out of the equation

I don't agree. 1 player here and there being out for games won't stop the season.

In fact, think stopping the games will take a good portion of your roster being out

If we're going to shut down for 1 player having COVID & sitting out a game, then there's no point in starting the season since that'll probably happen week 1

trob115
08-17-2020, 08:17 PM
Floor: 3-7
Probably: 5-5
Ceiling: 7-3 , losses to Bama, GA, and LSU

Mobile Bay
08-17-2020, 08:25 PM
Playing 10 SEC games in 11 weeks favors the top (deeper) teams in the league. Having two bye weeks would have leveled it a little but the league doesn't want that. Our bye essentially does us no good coming before Bama. I guess I'm happy we're playing football but I think 5 wins is as good as we can hope for. That would be the equivalent of about 8-4 in a regular year but I think we are going to have some embarrassments on this schedule with all that's going on. We could be 2-6 going into the Egg Bowl and you never know how that will work out.
I hope Leach proves me wrong.

We play Bama after a bye, on Halloween. Saban better start believing in ghost stories.

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 08:38 PM
I don't agree. 1 player here and there being out for games won't stop the season.

In fact, think stopping the games will take a good portion of your roster being out

If we're going to shut down for 1 player having COVID & sitting out a game, then there's no point in starting the season since that'll probably happen week 1

Mlb stops a game Bc of one positive. They changed what they were going to do originally. And maybe one positive doesn't stop it. But it will be the 15 others under quarantine. You can disagree that's fine. Hope youre right. But we have 4 weeks to run the campus rampant of it and hope.

R2Dawg
08-17-2020, 08:48 PM
We don't know yet. Odds are 4 wins, but I could see a 3 win team or two getting a bowl if slots need to be filled

With half of leagues not playing, everyone gets a trophy and goes to a bowl.

Dawgology
08-17-2020, 09:14 PM
Mlb stops a game Bc of one positive. They changed what they were going to do originally. And maybe one positive doesn't stop it. But it will be the 15 others under quarantine. You can disagree that's fine. Hope youre right. But we have 4 weeks to run the campus rampant of it and hope.

College campus and teams will run just like most other populations. You will see a slow lull, followed by a quick spike, followed by a decrease in cases after about 20% tested infection rate.

Todd4State
08-17-2020, 09:17 PM
I think what this year will prove to me is how much of effect S&C and discipline play in winning football games.

I don't really have any expectations- it's basically a science experiment for me at this point. Last year we won three SEC games with Joe- we'll see how this works with Leach.

confucius say
08-17-2020, 09:17 PM
You could make an argument that we'd be better off if half the team got it now (assuming they haven't).

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 09:18 PM
College campus and teams will run just like most other populations. You will see a slow lull, followed by a quick spike, followed by a decrease in cases after about 20% tested infection rate.

I agree!!! Problem is universities aren't going to wait to cancel. And that doesn't change the fact we aren't going to change our protocols on guys that have to sit. Therefore......

Cowbell
08-17-2020, 09:21 PM
This is a bad point. The big 12 was at its peak when he was there. And beating people up.

Cowbell
08-17-2020, 09:23 PM
I am not going to give LSU that first game. Some of you are not taking into consideration the wild things that will happen with this covid scenario. It could swing completely for or against us. Arguing wins/losses at this point is meaningless.

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 09:27 PM
I am not going to give LSU that first game. Some of you are not taking into consideration the wild things that will happen with this covid scenario. It could swing completely for or against us. Arguing wins/losses at this point is meaningless.

Ok I'll take LSU and give you the money line 5-1. How much you want ?

msstate7
08-17-2020, 09:36 PM
This is a bad point. The big 12 was at its peak when he was there. And beating people up.

Maybe, but the sec had a record number of players from a conference in the nfl in 2018. It set record with 15 1st rounders last year

Mobile Bay
08-17-2020, 09:41 PM

How about LSU-24. Now how froggy do you feel?

dantheman4248
08-17-2020, 09:48 PM
26 point spread seems like too many points.

MSU +26. Vandy +37. Florida -8. Alabama -19.5. All of those feel like pretty good bets.

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 09:54 PM
How about LSU-24. Now how froggy do you feel?

If you will read HIs post he was talking about us winning the game..... so the money line was the proper one.... don't take line bets for the most part. But I will take the +16 vs the rebels that I saw today!!

dantheman4248
08-17-2020, 09:55 PM
Maybe, but the sec had a record number of players from a conference in the nfl in 2018. It set record with 15 1st rounders last year

Individual player NFL talent doesn't equate to better overall teams. Just use 2018 MSU as a solid example of that.

As for recency, I'd say 2013-2015 was the "peak" of the SEC and now we're on a downward trend as a whole from that. Last year we may have had 15 first rounders but we had 7 just plain bad teams. Compare with 2014 when the entire West was full of good teams with Vanderbilt as the only objectively bad team. Kentucky was a 4 pt loss to Louisville away from being the 13th bowl eligible team that year.

MaroonFlounder
08-17-2020, 10:00 PM
Fowler talked about how SEC should stay with 10-game SEC when things get back to normal AND keep the 1 P5 opponent every year. That leaves only 1 game vs a smaller school.

Jeez. We'd never win more than 4 or 5 in a season if that comes to be.

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 10:07 PM
I think what this year will prove to me is how much of effect S&C and discipline play in winning football games.

I don't really have any expectations- it's basically a science experiment for me at this point. Last year we won three SEC games with Joe- we'll see how this works with Leach.

This is what sucks even more about Covid. We have a good sc coach it appears. We lost months of what we had to make up. And ML let's him do his job. JM didn't let his. It showed. Badly!!

msstate7
08-17-2020, 10:12 PM
Individual player NFL talent doesn't equate to better overall teams. Just use 2018 MSU as a solid example of that.

As for recency, I'd say 2013-2015 was the "peak" of the SEC and now we're on a downward trend as a whole from that. Last year we may have had 15 first rounders but we had 7 just plain bad teams. Compare with 2014 when the entire West was full of good teams with Vanderbilt as the only objectively bad team. Kentucky was a 4 pt loss to Louisville away from being the 13th bowl eligible team that year.

He was in big12 from 2000-2009. Big 12 was really solid. Here's their totals...

Natties 2
Top 10 finishes 19

Same time for sec...

Natties 4
Top 10:finishes 21

Even during that period the sec was better

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 10:13 PM

While individual players don't equate to it necessarily,if you have one. But your MSU 18 is a terrible example. It led to the best defense in the country and only an idiot as a head coach kept us from being a legit sec championship contender. Fact is you have to have elite talent in at least some spots to compete. You can't name a team that's won an sec championship Wo it. We had elite had numerous spots!! Minus the head coach....

msstate7
08-17-2020, 10:17 PM
Don't get me wrong though... I like leach, and I think he'll win here. I just don't think it's this year. I do wanna see us recruit defense better though

Homedawg
08-17-2020, 10:26 PM
Don't get me wrong though... I like leach, and I think he'll win here. I just don't think it's this year. I do wanna see us recruit defense better though

I don't think the reason we aren't getting defensive guys is Bc of leach. I think it's just the state is bad. Heck the saving grace right now IS ML and that's helped us get the offensive class we have. Thank goodness

DownwardDawg
08-17-2020, 10:47 PM
Projected win totals per Action Network
Georgia 8.29
Alabama 7.89
Florida 7.66
TexasA&M 7.63
LSU 7.51
Auburn. 7.03
Ole Miss 5.12
Kentucky 4.73
Tennessee 4.67
SouthCarolina 4.09
Missouri 2.75
Mississippi State 2.35
Arkansas 0.96
Vanderbilt 0.33

Saw this on SPS

ETA... they have a 16-pt dog to OM. They have no credibility after I saw that.

That's 17'n hilarious!!!!

Quaoarsking
08-17-2020, 10:57 PM
Fowler talked about how SEC should stay with 10-game SEC when things get back to normal AND keep the 1 P5 opponent every year. That leaves only 1 game vs a smaller school.

Jeez. We'd never win more than 4 or 5 in a season if that comes to be.

I'd be OK with that if they could come up with a system that leveled the playing field somehow.

Todd4State
08-17-2020, 11:35 PM
I'd be OK with that if they could come up with a system that leveled the playing field somehow.

They would have to get every other P5 conference to agree to do the same thing as the SEC IMO.

I'd actually like to see a 15 game regular season. 11 conference games, 3 OOC games against another D1 team- doesn't matter if it's P5 or G5 and then one FCS team.

Ari Gold
08-18-2020, 06:28 AM
I don't think the reason we aren't getting defensive guys is Bc of leach. I think it's just the state is bad. Heck the saving grace right now IS ML and that's helped us get the offensive class we have. Thank goodness

Correct.
Worse year on the defensive side of the ball for In state talent that I can remember.. and juco as well..
next year is suppose to be pretty good on that side of the ball Let’s see how the staff does .
We have recruited defensive players well over the last decade.. CML just needs to continue that..

FISHDAWG
08-18-2020, 07:46 AM

totally agree with this .... Let's not forget perspective here. While we aren't necessarily in a rebuilding year - we are however in a Re-Design year with a new coach and staff and heading in a new offensive direction and should temper our expectations.... the key here is to implement and then improve. Even Saban got kicked around his 1st year at Bama and we all know he was already a winning coach ... this is a crazy year with a schedule packed with more competition than what we are used to .... at best, we need to view this season as a benchmark to measure progress ...... and as a GIFT

maroonmania
08-18-2020, 09:00 AM

Only real way to level the playing field would be to reduce the number of scholarships but nobody will even talk about that. Instead everything is about NIL and further payments to players which is just going to further widen the divide between the elite power programs and everybody else.

Bothrops
08-18-2020, 12:03 PM
We can lose to anybody on our schedule with the exception of Vandy. Keep that in mind.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2020, 12:19 PM
We can lose to anybody on our schedule with the exception of Vandy. Keep that in mind.

Arkansas?

Pretty much every team in the SEC can lose to the vast majority of their schedule

Bothrops
08-18-2020, 12:55 PM
Arkansas?

Pretty much every team in the SEC can lose to the vast majority of their schedule

Yep. Arkansas is desperately looking for that 30 game slump buster and are dangerous for us.

SheltonChoked
08-18-2020, 01:01 PM

If it is late in the season (like Missouri), then we will not have a huge drop off. Leach has a QB throw a pass to all the eligible receivers, each snap of practice. If 5 guys are in the pattern, Costello, Schrader, Rodgers, Mayden and Burnett will all throw a pass.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2020, 01:01 PM
Yep. Arkansas is desperately looking for that 30 game slump buster and are dangerous for us.

So because they are desperate, they are scary? Is Vandy not also desperate?

Cowbell
08-18-2020, 01:32 PM

I don't bet money Brett but I do feel like that could be our upset game mainly due to them not being well prepared for our Offense.

Cowbell
08-18-2020, 01:34 PM
If you will read HIs post he was talking about us winning the game..... so the money line was the proper one.... don't take line bets for the most part. But I will take the +16 vs the rebels that I saw today!!

No what I said was we aren't just going to give them the game. I think it could be close and we have a chance at a W

Homedawg
08-18-2020, 01:35 PM
No what I said was we aren't just going to give them the game. I think it could be close and we have a chance at a W

Which you just repeated. "we have a chance at a W"..... And i'm saying no we don't

Homedawg
08-18-2020, 01:42 PM
I don't bet money Brett but I do feel like that could be our upset game mainly due to them not being well prepared for our Offense.

just go watch wsu film, it's not like ML is gonna change it!

Cowbell
08-18-2020, 01:44 PM
Which you just repeated. "we have a chance at a W"..... And i'm saying no we don't

Ok - well I will make an exception for you - $50 to you if we lose (guaranteed money). $1000 to me if we win. Easy money for you.

Percho
08-18-2020, 02:02 PM
Only real way to level the playing field would be to reduce the number of scholarships but nobody will even talk about that. Instead everything is about NIL and further payments to players which is just going to further widen the divide between the elite power programs and everybody else.

Amen

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2020, 02:24 PM

Correct.

What’s funny is that the best players should want reduced schollies as that offers them a much greater chance of getting paid.

In order to ever pay college athletes, schools have to lean up and reduce Title 9 issues

Jack Lambert
08-18-2020, 03:05 PM
I predict there will not be an undefeated team in the SEC. If there is a play off there will be a three lose team in it.

TrapGame
08-18-2020, 03:14 PM
I predict there will not be an undefeated team in the SEC. If there is a play off there will be a three lose team in it.

I believe you're right Jack. Bama will lose at least one game. And I hope that game is on 10/31.

ScoobaDawg
08-18-2020, 03:49 PM
who knows with bama... they are not discussing any players opting out.. instead keeping it in house Saban said.

Quaoarsking
08-18-2020, 04:07 PM
Correct.

What?s funny is that the best players should want reduced schollies as that offers them a much greater chance of getting paid.

In order to ever pay college athletes, schools have to lean up and reduce Title 9 issues

If the SEC/P5 can remove themselves from the NCAA or get greater autonomy, maybe there could be a system where the number of new scholarships (not the total number) is increased to 30, BUT you lose 1 the following year for every conference game you win this year. So at least the teams at the bottom of the standings get some kind of way to catch back up. So this year, we could bring in 27, while Arkansas brings in 30 and LSU brings in 22. This is me spitballing, and I haven't done any kind of long-term analysis on what this would mean, but it seems like it would nudge the teams toward parity without forcing it.

You're never going to make Vanderbilt as attractive as Alabama to the elite recruits, but you can at least give them more chances to find 3-star diamonds and coach them up.

Johnson85
08-18-2020, 04:55 PM
If the SEC/P5 can remove themselves from the NCAA or get greater autonomy, maybe there could be a system where the number of new scholarships (not the total number) is increased to 30, BUT you lose 1 the following year for every conference game you win this year. So at least the teams at the bottom of the standings get some kind of way to catch back up. So this year, we could bring in 27, while Arkansas brings in 30 and LSU brings in 22. This is me spitballing, and I haven't done any kind of long-term analysis on what this would mean, but it seems like it would nudge the teams toward parity without forcing it.

You're never going to make Vanderbilt as attractive as Alabama to the elite recruits, but you can at least give them more chances to find 3-star diamonds and coach them up.

Going to be impossible I think to get any sort of parity that people view as fewer opportunities for kids to go to school. DOesn't matter if the total number of scholarships offered across the SEC are the same; people will view Joe Bob not getting a scholarship to his state school b/c they only offer 22 while Arkansas offers 27 to people who are not Joe Bob as inequitable.

Quaoarsking
08-18-2020, 07:39 PM
Going to be impossible I think to get any sort of parity that people view as fewer opportunities for kids to go to school. DOesn't matter if the total number of scholarships offered across the SEC are the same; people will view Joe Bob not getting a scholarship to his state school b/c they only offer 22 while Arkansas offers 27 to people who are not Joe Bob as inequitable.

That doesn't really bother me. If you live in Montana, the Dakotas, Maine, or New Hampshire, your state school doesn't offer as many football scholarships as most state schools. If you live in Alaska or Vermont, your state school doesn't even have college football scholarships to begin with.

Dawgcap
08-18-2020, 08:34 PM
So I may be lost. But are y?all saying reducing scholarships will create more parity against the big boys? Seriously we would pick up better athletes but so would they. Fewer scholarships means the big boys still get the elite. We in turn get the next group and then the non power 5 gets stronger on players we can?t develop. So you still have the elite being elite. Us still at a talent deficit and the non power 5 becoming stronger.
I like that it can help the non power 5 and lower divisions but it still leaves us in the middle weaker because we still can?t close the gap while we lose the developmental players that have kept us competitive

Homedawg
08-18-2020, 08:36 PM
Parity meh. E same people that want parity in football to improve our position which it probably still wouldn't, would be raising hell if baseball made it where bama could compete w us. Put your big boy drawers on and make the most of what you have. We will never be a national contender year in year out. Once in a blue moon? Dan proved that's possible.

Dawgcap
08-18-2020, 08:40 PM
Also you are taking opportunities away from talented players because there are less opportunities. Either way you are keeping power to the blue bloods. Giving fewer athletes more power and eliminating the opportunities for the diamonds who may mature later and give up their dreams

Cowbell
08-18-2020, 08:53 PM
Parity meh. E same people that want parity in football to improve our position which it probably still wouldn't, would be raising hell if baseball made it where bama could compete w us. Put your big boy drawers on and make the most of what you have. We will never be a national contender year in year out. Once in a blue moon? Dan proved that's possible.
This is dead on.
On another note, put your big boy drawers on and take the bet I offered you.

Homedawg
08-18-2020, 09:51 PM
This is dead on.
On another note, put your big boy drawers on and take the bet I offered you.

What bet? I must've missed it
ETA. Ha hell no. I'm not taking less than what I can get in Vegas. But I'll take 100 from you and I'll put up 500. Just like my original bet or I'll even let you go 50-250your call.

Cowbell
08-18-2020, 10:26 PM
What bet? I must've missed it
ETA. Ha hell no. I'm not taking less than what I can get in Vegas. But I'll take 100 from you and I'll put up 500. Just like my original bet or I'll even let you go 50-250your call.
You said there is no chance. I'm literally offering you free money.

Bothrops
08-19-2020, 12:58 AM
So because they are desperate, they are scary? Is Vandy not also desperate?

Yeah...a difference.

maroonmania
08-19-2020, 07:18 AM
So I may be lost. But are y?all saying reducing scholarships will create more parity against the big boys? Seriously we would pick up better athletes but so would they. Fewer scholarships means the big boys still get the elite. We in turn get the next group and then the non power 5 gets stronger on players we can?t develop. So you still have the elite being elite. Us still at a talent deficit and the non power 5 becoming stronger.
I like that it can help the non power 5 and lower divisions but it still leaves us in the middle weaker because we still can?t close the gap while we lose the developmental players that have kept us competitive

Picked this response to reply to but so many in this chain I disagree with. First, its not about making the elite not be the elite because the best football programs will always be the best programs no matter the scholarship count. Its about closing the gap to make things a little more competitive. Right now there are truly only about 8-10 programs out of the 120+ in FBS that have ANY realistic chance to win a NC. If you reduced say from 85 to 75 scholarships total and took 10 away from Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia, etc. and distributed those guys out to other programs it would close the talent gap a bit. That's all anyone is saying. Those elite programs would still be the best but the margin would shrink a bit and make college football more competitive overall (which should make it a better overall product). More parity in the NFL is what makes it the great product that it is today. And football should only need the scholarships needed to field a complete team, it should not be a 'scholarship program'. And those scholarships should not be lost anyway, they should be taken from the fat football programs and moved to scholarship starved programs like men's baseball. I mean college baseball players don't deserve opportunities as well? Additional scholarships in that sport would make it a better quality product as well as more players would go to college rather than sign pro. And its the glut of football scholarships for men that cause all the Title IX issues anyway where there are a ton of women's programs needed to try and balance out the scholarship count where men get none. For example, men soccer players don't deserve ANY opportunities? Bottom line is college football is not very competitive across the board currently and things like NIL is just going to make it even worse because it will just be one more reason for the best prospects to ONLY go to the highest profile programs with the largest fanbases. I mean who really wants to see a football game, even between two P5 programs, where the point spread going in is well over 20? Nobody really, but there are a bunch of those.