PDA

View Full Version : Some SEC coaches pissed at how two extra games picked

starkvegasdawg
08-14-2020, 08:32 PM
Or shall I say...the fact that the sec won't tell anybody how they did it...cough cough...ask Saban...cough cough.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29663131/sources-sec-football-coaches-irked-added-opponents

Jack Lambert
08-14-2020, 08:56 PM
In a way the road games worked out good for us. We will not have a home game until October. Things might be opened up a little by then.

Mobile Bay
08-14-2020, 09:15 PM
If you look at the total cross divisional schedule instead of the +2 it is actually very fair. Matt Wyatt figured this out days ago. It seems to use ESPN's FPI. When you add those up, it seems that every team plays a similar total FPI. Which I think is a somewhat fair way to do it.

I mean obviously the new 2 opponents screwed Arkansas. But then again they were before playing Mizzou and Vandy (IIRC). So why should they get two more cupcakes.

I think if you look back and consider the four opponents instead of the new two, it's very fair.

War Machine Dawg
08-14-2020, 09:24 PM
Or shall I say...the fact that the sec won't tell anybody how they did it...cough cough...ask Saban...cough cough.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29663131/sources-sec-football-coaches-irked-added-opponents

As I texted my buddies on our group chat: You mean the SEC Office did some shady shite to benefit only 3-4 teams, and primarily one team, and 17d everyone else? I'm shocked. Shocked and appalled.******

confucius say
08-14-2020, 09:40 PM
Have they not released the formula that was used to develop the schedule?

Mobile Bay
08-14-2020, 09:46 PM
They have not but Matt Wyatt figured it out or close to it. I spot checked it and I think he is right or close to it. Average FPI across all four cross division teams.

LC Dawg
08-14-2020, 10:20 PM
If they used a formula and they think it's fair why won't they release that info? The bias is real but all the schools know it so there's no point in bitching.
I would love to know if Leach had any comments. He probably went into a conversation of SpaceX or some other off the wall shit.

BeardoMSU
08-14-2020, 11:40 PM
Arkansas and Mizzou HC's**

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fb/4e/07/fb4e07ea3c37c426dd0a2b3344b1ff85.jpg

Offshore Dawg
08-15-2020, 08:25 AM
Got to take care of Bama.

MedDawg
08-15-2020, 09:29 AM
If you look at the total cross divisional schedule instead of the +2 it is actually very fair. Matt Wyatt figured this out days ago. It seems to use ESPN's FPI. When you add those up, it seems that every team plays a similar total FPI. Which I think is a somewhat fair way to do it.

I mean obviously the new 2 opponents screwed Arkansas. But then again they were before playing Mizzou and Vandy (IIRC). So why should they get two more cupcakes.

I think if you look back and consider the four opponents instead of the new two, it's very fair.

It does make it more fair for THIS season. But teams have more difficult and easier years and some of the teams have had some recent tough schedules and were looking forward to an easier schedule, then the SEC made it tougher.

The NFL does something like it every year. The better teams get harder schedules. If the SEC were to start going to that then this year would be the start. But if the SEC goes back to the old way, then some teams will be penalized by losing out on what would have been an easier year.

Not sure if State is affected positively or negatively with the new schedule, but Arkansas is likely hurt badly in a season they needed and were expecting an easier schedule.

Mobile Bay
08-15-2020, 10:28 AM
If they used a formula and they think it's fair why won't they release that info? The bias is real but all the schools know it so there's no point in bitching.
I would love to know if Leach had any comments. He probably went into a conversation of SpaceX or some other off the wall shit.

Because if they released the info it would be akin to saying openly that four or five of the teams suck at football.

Todd4State
08-15-2020, 06:07 PM
It does make it more fair for THIS season. But teams have more difficult and easier years and some of the teams have had some recent tough schedules and were looking forward to an easier schedule, then the SEC made it tougher.

The NFL does something like it every year. The better teams get harder schedules. If the SEC were to start going to that then this year would be the start. But if the SEC goes back to the old way, then some teams will be penalized by losing out on what would have been an easier year.

Not sure if State is affected positively or negatively with the new schedule, but Arkansas is likely hurt badly in a season they needed and were expecting an easier schedule.

I think we came out OK as far as this. To me the easiest and most transparent thing to do would have been to play the next two cross divisional teams for 21-22 and move the rotation up two years. That's essentially what happened to MSU anyway. Except the home and road venues were flipped.

We probably came out good because we play Vandy again next year- so essentially we play them an extra time. As it is we have or will have to play Georgia in Athens three times in a row so that's the only "bad thing" as far as we go. It all evens out for MSU essentially.

magrooder
08-15-2020, 09:08 PM
I understand how they seem to always take care of Bama, but if there isn't going to be a play off this year what difference does it make to take care of them?

War Machine Dawg
08-15-2020, 09:31 PM
I understand how they seem to always take care of Bama, but if there isn't going to be a play off this year what difference does it make to take care of them?

The SEC Office desperately needs to be moved out of Birmingham. Nothing good comes from it being there, except for Bama. They need to get outside the Bama echo chamber and be relocated to Charlotte with the Network HQ. Maybe then the decision-making would be more fair to everyone in the conference instead of being the Bama Protection Commission.

Todd4State
08-15-2020, 09:49 PM

Who said there wasn't going to be a playoff?

Regardless it does make a difference. Let's say Alabama goes 7-3 with losses hypothetically to Texas A&M, Florida (whom they would have played under my model of moving up 21-22 cross divisional opponents), and Georgia. That definitely affects them in recruiting some because the competition is going to use that as evidence that Bama and Saban who is 68 going on 69 and will be 72-74 when these recruits leave Bama are on the decline. Obviously that's going to happen to them eventually but if they can stave it off as long as possible it's obviously in their best interest.

WPS
08-16-2020, 11:26 AM

Arkansas was playing Mizzou and Tennessee, not Vandy. I was expecting to get something like Florida and Vandy but it is what it is.

Jack Lambert
08-16-2020, 11:28 AM
Vandy is going 0-10. They are having players opt out.

BiscuitEater
08-16-2020, 01:40 PM
Have they not released the formula that was used to develop the schedule?

You're kidding, right?

TUSK
08-18-2020, 12:25 AM
This thread has potential, kids....

Y'all don't let me down.....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/06/b8/2d/06b82dc5af4092eb75c5223a40713910.jpg