PDA

View Full Version : Starkville getting ready for loss of revenue

TheLostDawg
08-14-2020, 08:10 PM
https://www.wtva.com/content/news/With-possibility-of-no-college-football-Starkville-city-leaders-look-at-potential-impacts-572102281.html

R2Dawg
08-14-2020, 08:17 PM
Yep, this is about to real to folks who don't understand economics. I'm doing my best everywhere I go to support these local, small businesses. I'll probably make trips to Starkville a few times sports or no sports. Course I do have a daughter in school at MSU as well.

parabrave
08-14-2020, 08:42 PM
Gonna be alot of speed traps around most college towns.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-14-2020, 08:44 PM
The sales tax the city government of Starkville will lose is a small amount compared to what business owners and their employees will lose. The city will raise the millage and make that up, only adding to the private sector woes.

Lord McBuckethead
08-15-2020, 08:11 AM
I will bring up two things. First, why does Starkville share their beverage tax with the university. 2nd, why are we paving roads in the county?

Offshore Dawg
08-15-2020, 08:24 AM
I will bring up two things. First, why does Starkville share their beverage tax with the university. 2nd, why are we paving roads in the county?

Politicians have to get their cut.

Mimi's Babies
08-15-2020, 01:40 PM

Answer to your second question. Is the county roads have very large apartment complexes of students that live on them (Blackjack). BUT the REAL answer is this money is a PET PROJECT money of a certain state representative... Those "back room deals".... Police department in Starkville is over $600,000 over budget..... And yet the mayor wants to expand the city limits to include Clayton Village at the cost of MILLIONS.... The city of Starkville is over budget in many areas.:mad:

parabrave
08-15-2020, 03:59 PM

Watch Jack Reacher. That will explain it better than anyone could. Just be prepared to chew off the fingers of your left hand/

Commercecomet24
08-15-2020, 05:45 PM
Watch Jack Reacher. That will explain it better than anyone could. Just be prepared to chew off the fingers of your left hand/

I enjoyed that movie. Great analogy!

Todd4State
08-15-2020, 05:57 PM
Oddly enough during football season I very rarely buy much in Starkville other than gas because of the crowds. Most of the Starkville things I do during baseball season when I can move around and go see things.

If I'm allowed to go to the games then I might actually purchase more things in Starkville.

And I'm not saying my piddly one time visit to Lil' Dooey will save the town or that things will be better. I just find it a little ironic- but I'm willing to help Starkville out if I can.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-15-2020, 06:43 PM
Answer to your second question. Is the county roads have very large apartment complexes of students that live on them (Blackjack). BUT the REAL answer is this money is a PET PROJECT money of a certain state representative... Those "back room deals".... Police department in Starkville is over $600,000 over budget..... And yet the mayor wants to expand the city limits to include Clayton Village at the cost of MILLIONS.... The city of Starkville is over budget in many areas.:mad:

People, this is why you should take your local elections seriously! Local Gov't affects your quality of life far more than the fed gov't does

R2Dawg
08-16-2020, 05:48 PM
The sales tax the city government of Starkville will lose is a small amount compared to what business owners and their employees will lose. The city will raise the millage and make that up, only adding to the private sector woes.

Yep, you would hope that they would adjust the budgets to spread the losses around not just dump on taxpayers.

The Federalist Engineer
08-16-2020, 07:30 PM
This is going to be worse on the party schools. Norman, OK is a series of B-grade restaurants and bars until you get into section-8 quality housing. All that dirty living generates an income from the University of Oklahoma.

Im probably way behind on current events- but I remember my parents being totally grossed out by Baton Rouge. As a kid, it seemed awesomely wretched but not to my parents- long time ago folks. Maybe Baton Rouge looks like Madison Mississippi today. Back then, it looked like a hive of hepatitis and Meningitis carriers.

BB30
08-17-2020, 03:37 PM
People, this is why you should take your local elections seriously! Local Gov't affects your quality of life far more than the fed gov't does

And not surprisingly, most couldn't tell you who is running for what or what offices are even up for election in their communities.

Cowbell
08-17-2020, 04:02 PM
This is going to be worse on the party schools. Norman, OK is a series of B-grade restaurants and bars until you get into section-8 quality housing. All that dirty living generates an income from the University of Oklahoma.

Im probably way behind on current events- but I remember my parents being totally grossed out by Baton Rouge. As a kid, it seemed awesomely wretched but not to my parents- long time ago folks. Maybe Baton Rouge looks like Madison Mississippi today. Back then, it looked like a hive of hepatitis and Meningitis carriers.

BR has not changed for the good IMO. Traffic is awful too