PDA

View Full Version : Has the state universities put out some type of protocol for checking on-campus

Indndawg
08-13-2020, 08:20 AM
students for the Covids?

It seems like a Herculean task to check every student at every class change

Mobile Bay
08-13-2020, 08:54 AM
Since the only test that is close to reliable takes several days, no they are not testing every class change. Even the idea is laughable.

RogerWilco
08-13-2020, 09:02 AM
The students are being required to download and app that asks some questions about how they are feeling. It is to be used every morning and if someone has symptoms consistent with covid the app tells them to go to the health center. The health center is supposed to have access to the info as well.

I'm sure I am not detailing this perfectly but that's the gist of it.

Lord McBuckethead
08-13-2020, 09:29 AM
Look, if you feel bad don't go to class.
Also if you feel bad, you probably exposed a couple hundred to the disease the day before in class.

Homedawg
08-13-2020, 10:06 AM
Also if you feel bad, you probably exposed a couple hundred to the disease the day before in class.

Well if social distancing helps, and masks help, then how could they expose that many? should be very minimal right????

confucius say
08-13-2020, 11:44 AM
Students also are not being required to sign a lability waiver.

Homedawg
08-13-2020, 12:04 PM
Students also are not being required to sign a lability waiver.

well nobody is going to have a clue where they got it.

Commercecomet24
08-13-2020, 12:17 PM

Yeah talk about needle in a haystack

BrunswickDawg
08-13-2020, 12:26 PM

When I was in school, anything someone caught was blamed on a Thursday night at The Club - "upset stomach" a.k.a cheap beer shits, crabs, clap, a chubby girl with a mustache coming out of someones room on Friday morning. Literally anything.

confucius say
08-13-2020, 12:45 PM

Yep. That's a dagger to the liability argument. Causation will be near impossible to prove.
Also, the claim would be negligence, or some other state law claim. Damages caps at 500k.

Liverpooldawg
08-13-2020, 05:20 PM
Well if social distancing helps, and masks help, then how could they expose that many? should be very minimal right????

Northeast MS CC already has a tenth of the student body on quarantine with only 9 positive cases. I think that's around 300 people with their enrollment.

Homedawg
08-13-2020, 06:16 PM
Northeast MS CC already has a tenth of the student body on quarantine with only 9 positive cases. I think that's around 300 people with their enrollment.

And that's why we won't have football. The fear and the protocols...

maroonmania
08-13-2020, 10:41 PM

I believe all Alabama public universities are making each student take a COVID-19 test and show negative results before they can attend class. My son goes to North Alabama and that is what he is doing. I'm surprised myself that MSU doesn't seem to be doing this. My daughter goes to MSU but I'm not aware of a requirement for her to get tested. Just seems wise to at least start off with quarantining students that you know initially are going to expose the general student population to the virus.

Political Hack
08-13-2020, 11:45 PM

If a person wearing a mask is within 6 feet of someone else for 15 minutes, there's a 3% chance they'll catch it. Without a mask it's 17%. It's a 6 fold increase. When you think about that exponentially in a crowded area, that's spreading at a massive rate. If everyone has a mask on, it doesn't nearly as much... but asymptotic spread is the main concern in schools right now. So... uh... good luck with that.

Homedawg
08-13-2020, 11:58 PM
If a person wearing a mask is within 6 feet of someone else for 15 minutes, there's a 3% chance they'll catch it. Without a mask it's 17%. It's a 6 fold increase. When you think about that exponentially in a crowded area, that's spreading at a massive rate. If everyone has a mask on, it doesn't nearly as much... but asymptotic spread is the main concern in schools right now. So... uh... good luck with that.

So my point remains, if they have a mask on and social distance then it shouldn't spread that fast??

Political Hack
08-14-2020, 08:59 AM
So my point remains, if they have a mask on and social distance then it shouldn't spread that fast??

Yeah. It would greatly reduce the spread if asymptotic people would wear mask, but asking college students hanging around each other to wear masks when none of them are showing symptoms is a hard sell. I don't really worry about the classrooms to be honest because they can police those a little, but common areas on campus and dorms are going to be a nightmare to control.

msbulldog
08-14-2020, 09:06 AM
When I was in school, anything someone caught was blamed on a Thursday night at The Club - "upset stomach" a.k.a cheap beer shits, crabs, clap, a chubby girl with a mustache coming out of someones room on Friday morning. Literally anything.

Brunswick brother I'm a little older, the Club was the Southernaire when I was there!

BB30
08-14-2020, 12:17 PM

3% or 17% in a college setting will turn into a bunch of people getting it regardless. It just may take a little longer than it would at the 17% clip. Out of curiosity, where did you pull those percentages from? I would be interested in reading it.

There would be no point in them starting back with in class classes if they are just going to shut back down once a certain percentage gets the virus or if it blows back up. It isn't an if but a when question IMO.

I would also be willing to bet a sizable number of the kids have already had it regardless of if they knew at the time or not. I haven't seen any college kids really following protocols or guidelines this summer and they have all been going on trips and hanging out in big groups.

MaroonBelle
08-14-2020, 12:51 PM
Just a couple things. The app doesn't just let them know if they should go to class. It is an app for contact tracing. All students (and they want all staff/faculty) should have it on their phone. Their phone is pretty much on them at all times. By looking at info from the app they can tell which other phones they were around/close too and will be able to notify those people that they have come into contact with a Covid positive person and to report for testing or stay home, etc. Also, there are temperature stations that you basically walk up to and it can tell your temp if you are feeling unwell when on campus. There are two in the library. I don't know where else on campus but I would assume student rec/student center/etc.

Political Hack
08-14-2020, 01:11 PM
"With face masks, the chance of infection or transmission was 3% with a mask compared with 17% without a mask, a reduction of more than 80%."

https://www.livescience.com/face-masks-eye-protection-covid-19-prevention.html