PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of two separate football season ?

FISHDAWG
08-12-2020, 11:11 AM
If the other conferences actually play in the spring that would give us two seasons worth of football .... Maybe a silver lining in this crazy situation?

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1293579667140730882?s=20

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-12-2020, 11:19 AM
How can conference say they care about health and ask teams to play 2 seasons in one calendar year?

FISHDAWG
08-12-2020, 11:38 AM
How can conference say they care about health and ask teams to play 2 seasons in one calendar year?

I took it as the three conferences play this fall and the other two in the spring ... That would give us Fall and Spring football ... then next fall the conferences that played in the spring would play again along with all of the conferences as usual ..... that would give us three seasons to watch in 15 months .... Did I get it wrong? I know it's a long shot but maybe somehow this could work out

Ari Gold
08-12-2020, 11:41 AM
None. Zero chance..

Lord McBuckethead
08-12-2020, 12:08 PM
None. Zero chance..

Not really sure how the chance could be 0%. Maybe something like 5%. Only a sith deals in absolutes.

msugolf
08-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Not really sure how the chance could be 0%. Maybe something like 5%. Only a sith deals in absolutes.

Nope. It's zero. You really think NFL teams are going to want their future players to play a season a couple months before they have to report to camp? Or college players to play 2 seasons in a calendar year? That whole spring season comment was done just to keep the masses somewhat at bay.

Jack Lambert
08-12-2020, 12:19 PM
What is crazy is two NC.

FISHDAWG
08-12-2020, 12:26 PM
Nope. It's zero. You really think NFL teams are going to want their future players to play a season a couple months before they have to report to camp? Or college players to play 2 seasons in a calendar year? That whole spring season comment was done just to keep the masses somewhat at bay.

with that much money at stake you really think there's zero chance ? .... A school missing a season in a P5 conference is gonna want to make that money back ... and I don't think the schools or conferences make their plans around the NFL as the sole consideration

Cooterpoot
08-12-2020, 12:33 PM
I still don't believe there will be any football, but certainly not spring football. Tv conflicts, scholarship and signing day issues, no vaccine (unless it happens to come right after the election), weather up north, players leaving, etc. Just a ton of problems.

Mobile Bay
08-12-2020, 12:36 PM
If the other conferences actually play in the spring that would give us two seasons worth of football .... Maybe a silver lining in this crazy situation?

January in Michigan, hey that sounds healthy.

chef dixon
08-12-2020, 12:37 PM
From a strictly MSU perspective, any sort of season would be great for us. This is going to a crap year for the blue-bloods or anyone who was going to contend for the playoff. Its going to be filled with asterix. We essentially just need a practice season any way we can get it.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-12-2020, 12:44 PM
Big 10: ?We care about athletes? health!?
Also Big 10: ?We May have football players play up to 25 games in the year 2021!?

Dawgology
08-12-2020, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure how the BIG10 (or any conference that canceled football for Fall) could justify playing a spring schedule if there is no sure-fire vaccine. The same dangers will still present then as they are now.

oldjoedawg
08-12-2020, 01:17 PM

You should have heard Rece Davis yesterday when he blasted that idea being put forth by the B10...."postponed" he said until Spring. If they try to play two seasons, involving near to 20 games within a 12 month period, he stated that he did not ever want to hear another word of concern about player safety from any of those in leadership. He was fired up about that scenario.

MaroonFlounder
08-12-2020, 05:41 PM
A spring football season would be completely void of draft eligible Juniors or Seniors.

No NFL prospect is going to risk getting hurt right before draft combines.

The fact that the B1G is even putting that possibility out there is STUPID.

Offshore Dawg
08-12-2020, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=William Tecumsah Sherman;1263900]How can conference say they care about health and ask teams to play 2 seasons in one

That would make for a long year in 21

MaroonFlounder
08-12-2020, 05:55 PM
Delete

DownwardDawg
08-12-2020, 06:02 PM
From a strictly MSU perspective, any sort of season would be great for us. This is going to a crap year for the blue-bloods or anyone who was going to contend for the playoff. Its going to be filled with asterix. We essentially just need a practice season any way we can get it.

Like I posted in another thread, we may finish top 10 this season!!!'

Commercecomet24
08-12-2020, 06:08 PM
They're just kicking the can down the road. If they don't play in the fall they won't play in the springs. No way any draftable kids gonna take a chance on getting hurt before the draft. Heck they sit out the bowl games now and those are in December not the spring.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-12-2020, 08:36 PM
I took it as the three conferences play this fall and the other two in the spring ... That would give us Fall and Spring football ... then next fall the conferences that played in the spring would play again along with all of the conferences as usual ..... that would give us three seasons to watch in 15 months .... Did I get it wrong? I know it's a long shot but maybe somehow this could work out

I like where your head is, but I doubt the PAC-XX and the b1g play this spring regardless. If, and it’s a big IF, the SEC, Big 12, and ACC pull it off, there will not be a demand for the other conferences to play because a champion has been named and the NFL caliber players from conferences that are deferring to the spring are trying to improve their draft stock.

Ari Gold
08-14-2020, 06:34 AM
There will be a spring football season ..
it’s called spring practice and a spring game..