PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Power 3

StarkVegasSteve
08-11-2020, 03:40 PM
So with the way all this changes, this could all be for naught within a couple of hours. But if we were to proceed with a Power 3 who would be joining the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 respectively?

Also, a bit of a side note, how much could this change the national reputation of the Big 12 and ACC. Right now they're thought of as a rung or two below the SEC and Big 10. Does something like this bring them back on equal footing?

Homedawg
08-11-2020, 03:48 PM
So with the way all this changes, this could all be for naught within a couple of hours. But if we were to proceed with a Power 3 who would be joining the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 respectively?

Also, a bit of a side note, how much could this change the national reputation of the Big 12 and ACC. Right now they're thought of as a rung or two below the SEC and Big 10. Does something like this bring them back on equal footing?

The sooner everyone gets it through their heads that we aren't playing the better......Run in fear of either covid or a lawsuit. Bye-bye college sports. It was fun...............

HoopsDawg
08-11-2020, 03:54 PM
The sooner everyone gets it through their heads that we aren't playing the better......Run in fear of either covid or a lawsuit. Bye-bye college sports. It was fun...............

It's the fear of lawsuits more than the health of the players.

Statecoachingblows**
08-11-2020, 03:54 PM
What's the time frame on all the legal BS so we can at least have NCAA football in video game form? Can we say record sales?

HoopsDawg
08-11-2020, 03:58 PM
So the NCAA said no waivers. Which means adminstrators are scared of going broke if they lose a lawsuit. But athletic departments are going broke anyway with no Football or Basketball. The NCAA is in deep trouble without March Madness. The Group of 5 is already in deep trouble.

On top of that, do all these players get another year of eligibilty? No way that works. Do they lose a year? that's really unfair. What a complete clusterfck.

Homedawg
08-11-2020, 03:59 PM
It's the fear of lawsuits more than the health of the players.

Which is bs. 1, you can't prove where anyone got it. 2, Nobody is being forced to play. But, im not arguing you are wrong. Just the sad state of our country. So should we be able to sue the players that brought covid back here from there mamas???

HoopsDawg
08-11-2020, 04:03 PM
Which is bs. 1, you can't prove where anyone got it. 2, Nobody is being forced to play. But, im not arguing you are wrong. Just the sad state of our country. So should we be able to sue the players that brought covid back here from there mamas???

It's ridiculous. I think some of these Presidents in the Pac 12 and Big Ten are fine if college sports just go away. Especially with the upcoming NLI laws and the Pac 12 players making demands.

Mobile Bay
08-11-2020, 04:08 PM

This is not the case. STFU and GTFO.

Homedawg
08-11-2020, 04:15 PM

aight.........................

Homedawg
08-11-2020, 04:16 PM

So let me be clear, you think we are playing this fall?

DownwardDawg
08-11-2020, 04:22 PM

That escalated quickly

ScoobaDawg
08-11-2020, 04:30 PM
big 12 meets at 5pm to decide
https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/1293272103089852422

Dawgology
08-11-2020, 04:32 PM
So what happens when there isn't a vaccine approved by the FDA until 2022? Just cancel everything?

Because once you set the precedent of fear you can't unring the bell.

Brahmabull
08-11-2020, 04:42 PM
Going to be very hard for college athletics to recover from all of this. People will find other things to do. Some non-revenue producing sports may never recover to the same form they were before all of this.

ScoobaDawg
08-11-2020, 04:43 PM
as I mentioned as one of my big reasons people need to pay more attention to this virus still.. and not the death numbers..

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1293273222968991744

Mobile Bay
08-11-2020, 04:44 PM
So let me be clear, you think we are playing this fall?

Yep. The governors of the states are making the call. No one else.

Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia will vote play. That is 7 votes.

Bothrops
08-11-2020, 04:44 PM
They are trying to cancel America, why is football a surprise?

Homedawg
08-11-2020, 04:46 PM

Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia will vote play. That is 7 votes.

ok........

ScoobaDawg
08-11-2020, 04:49 PM
https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1293280165603287047

Homedawg
08-11-2020, 05:02 PM

I'd love to eat crow on this one.... but afraid you will be the one..............

HoopsDawg
08-11-2020, 05:24 PM
Apparently myocarditis can be triggered by the common cold, flu and mono as well. So no sports ever again?

Extendedcab
08-11-2020, 05:35 PM
That escalated quickly

DD, you have a way with words! LOL Oh Man, what a very screwed up world we live in! I absolutely hate it!!!!

parabrave
08-11-2020, 05:37 PM

I think USC will be the 1st one to join the Big 12. They are a private school and Football is more important to them than any other sport. Oh State and possibly Nebraska will look for another conference also.

Homedawg
08-11-2020, 05:49 PM
I think USC will be the 1st one to join the Big 12. They are a private school and Football is more important to them than any other sport. Oh State and possibly Nebraska will look for another conference also.

Nobody is going to change leagues this year over this....

Commercecomet24
08-11-2020, 06:01 PM
So what happens when there isn't a vaccine approved by the FDA until 2022? Just cancel everything?

Because once you set the precedent of fear you can't unring the bell.

Yep the precedent has been set and and to many have bought into it. Sad.

StarkVegasSteve
08-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Well if they're truly scared about the virus then you can go ahead and cancel college sports until 2022 at the earliest. That will be the earliest a vaccine will widely available. All this thought that we're going to have one in early 2021 is bs being spewed by people who have no more of a clue when a vaccine will be ready than any of us.

If we don't play this year then college football as we know it is OVER. Period. End of discussion. Because if you think The Rock and his new XFL aren't watching all this very closely then you're not opening your eyes. You think they're not going to siphon off the best players in each conference for some sort of Minor League? Something like this is the exact push a minor league needs.

coachnorm
08-11-2020, 06:07 PM
Apparently myocarditis can be triggered by the common cold, flu and mono as well. So no sports ever again?

In a Court Of Law, using what is said about the triggering of myocarditis, could get any University in an indefensible posture. The University would be found to have had "Unclean Hands" to start off with because the student will plead that he or she had relied on the University to safeguard their health. The doctrine of "Detrimental Reliance" would weigh so heavy on the University that it would crush it. This could snare the conference or any supporting party for the "Detrimental Reliance"? Why do you think that waivers have been discussed?

DownwardDawg
08-11-2020, 06:59 PM
DD, you have a way with words! LOL Oh Man, what a very screwed up world we live in! I absolutely hate it!!!!

Lol. Thanks man. I generally love people and interacting. I’m guilty of letting politics and this Covid crap get me in a bad mood lately though. What a year.

Coldsleeve Jr.
08-12-2020, 02:27 AM
70% we see college football
10% we play 10 games

Dawgology
08-12-2020, 07:33 AM

This is what I'm talking about fear mongering among so many. It makes no sense for the sports journalists to pump info like "Covid-19 can wreck your heart" like it's some big new thing that is unique to the virus. Myocarditis can be triggered by ANY infection. About 65% of it heals on it's own and another 20% can be effectively treated and healed or managed.

But this is the continued moving goal posts.

Dawgology
08-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Well if they're truly scared about the virus then you can go ahead and cancel college sports until 2022 at the earliest. That will be the earliest a vaccine will widely available. All this thought that we're going to have one in early 2021 is bs being spewed by people who have no more of a clue when a vaccine will be ready than any of us.

If we don't play this year then college football as we know it is OVER. Period. End of discussion. Because if you think The Rock and his new XFL aren't watching all this very closely then you're not opening your eyes. You think they're not going to siphon off the best players in each conference for some sort of Minor League? Something like this is the exact push a minor league needs.

Exactly. That is IF there is ever actually a reliable vaccine at all. At best it will probably be a yearly booster-based vaccine that is about 60% effective (like the flu vaccine). So we will have to live with this virus forever. Between people that get the virus and recover combined with a seasonal vaccine we will probably be able to reduce the numbers but it will never be fully gone it will become endemic to humans and will have surges up and down (much like the flu does). If we could get it down to flu level deaths in the US per year (flu kills about 50,000 in the US per year and kills about 100-150 children under 10 per year) then we will be doing well.