PDA

View Full Version : Greg Sankey standing tall

basedog
08-10-2020, 01:50 PM
Says Big Ten want dictate what the Sec does to football. His approach seems reasonable, let's wait and see with fall practice starting Aug 17th and first Sec game Sept 26.

One can only imagine IF the Sec plays football this fall.

Like many have stated, thinking young men and women will stay locked up, ain't happening, just saying.

Commercecomet24
08-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Well IF Sankey, the presidents and ADs allow us to play football I will give them credit for having some massive stones. Here's hoping they do!

ETA At some point someone has to standup and say let's go!

basedog
08-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Well IF Sankey, the presidents and ADs allow us to play football I will give them credit for having some massive stones. Here's hoping they do!

Yes, fact is the world can't just stop spinning, if so there will be no life anyway. Seems more and more are beginning to see the light. I see the last two days Mississippi numbers have dropped a lot with positive testing.

The way I see it, it players don't want to play, I'm ok with it, same for fans attending. Maybe we should playing inside Wal-Mart, doesn't seem to be a problem with Wally World***

Btw I just got back from working Hurricane Hannah in south Texas, we had 3 staging sites with numbers being 500, 850 and 450 at those sites. Safety was vey much in place, not one single case of Covid-19 occurred while I was there 11 days, we had crews from all over the south and Rio Grande Valley is a hot bed for the virus.

Just saying.

Commercecomet24
08-10-2020, 02:09 PM
Yes, fact is the world can't just stop spinning, if so there will be no life anyway. Seems more and more are beginning to see the light. I see the last two days Mississippi numbers have dropped a lot with positive testing.

The way I see it, it players don't want to play, I'm ok with it, same for fans attending. Maybe we should playing inside Wal-Mart, doesn't seem to be a problem with Wally World***

Btw I just got back from working Hurricane Hannah in south Texas, we had 3 staging sites with numbers being 500, 850 and 450 at those sites. Safety was vey much in place, not one single case of Covid-19 occurred while I was there 11 days, we had crews from all over the south and Rio Grande Valley is a hot bed for the virus.

Just saying.

Right there with you!

was21
08-10-2020, 02:34 PM
If Big 10 and PAC 12 shut it down on basis of health and medical concerns, no way SEC will press on....can't afford to. It would be stupid to do so.

FISHDAWG
08-10-2020, 02:58 PM
screw it ... can't post a gif here

Joebob
08-10-2020, 03:09 PM
If Big 10 and PAC 12 shut it down on basis of health and medical concerns, no way SEC will press on....can't afford to. It would be stupid to do so.

It would certainly put them in the position of looking like idiots if they did decide to go forward with the season and then it all fell apart. On the other hand, it could be a boon for the conference if they had a successful season when most of the others backed out. But large institutions don't normally take that kind of risk.

Jack Lambert
08-10-2020, 03:09 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/texags/status/1292860949607657473

Johnson85
08-10-2020, 03:36 PM

Outstanding

Commercecomet24
08-10-2020, 03:39 PM

Awesome!

Dawgology
08-10-2020, 04:30 PM

Everyone knows why the Big 10 ad PAC 12 are shutting it down and it isn't "health and medical concerns" lol. These guys aren't idiots. It would be a monumental move for the SEC and ACC to play ball. There is not a big enough rake to rake in the money they would be making. Literally, the only game in town.

Dawgology
08-10-2020, 04:37 PM
Evidence item #1:

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/budgeting/big-ten-schools-spent-1-8b-on-athletics-last-year.html

Mobile Bay
08-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Everyone knows why the Big 10 ad PAC 12 are shutting it down and it isn't "health and medical concerns" lol. These guys aren't idiots. It would be a monumental move for the SEC and ACC to play ball. There is not a big enough rake to rake in the money they would be making. Literally, the only game in town.

I believe the real reason is can be summed up in three words.

Orange Man Bad!

gtowndawg
08-10-2020, 05:11 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-02-2019/z_vPu4.gif

DownwardDawg
08-10-2020, 05:14 PM
We may finish the season ranked in the top 10!!!!!!!!!

Dawgology
08-10-2020, 05:25 PM
I believe the real reason is can be summed up in three words.

Orange Man Bad!

Or that they spent collectively as a conference 1.8 billion last year and made around 1.33 billion (so they were basically 500 million in the red). They are losing money with athletics. Closing it down for a season will actually save them some money.

As opposed to the SEC who cleared $651 million in revenue last year. We literally made 1 billion more than the BIG10.

msbulldog
08-10-2020, 05:53 PM

If they keep the players playing they will receive far superior monitoring and medical care than they could anywhere else. If you are referring to liability you have to take the causation issue into account. Did the player get Covid playing football or in Kroger or kissing a girl in the District?

Mobile Bay
08-10-2020, 06:08 PM

It would be stupid not to. A wave of transfers after a self imposed death penalty. Plus the NFL bound players going away. We would end up with a P3 and a G7 situation. Program suicide is some play and some don't for those that don't.

BuckyIsAB****
08-10-2020, 06:17 PM

It is not for those reasons...if you cant tell this is at least at some form politics then you are just willfully ignorant. Look at the regions who are wanting to pull the plug then look at the way they vote. PAC 12 is all blue, Big 10 country and Florida decide the election year after year. This is a political move and it would never be a thought in any other year but an election year.

The SEC will play 100 percent. Others will follow after them. If the SEC does not play I wont post again till the next football season yall can bookmark this and call me out

TaleofTwoDogs
08-10-2020, 06:28 PM
That doesn't seem right. Journalist are notorious for weak math skills. If you use the revenue percentages (26%, 20%,16% &10%) with the revenues shown the total revenue comes to about $1.8 billion which is breakeven.

IMissJack
08-10-2020, 07:19 PM
If the SEC were to be the only game in town this fall, the TV numbers would be huge...

Hail State
08-10-2020, 07:32 PM
Says Big Ten want dictate what the Sec does to football. His approach seems reasonable, let's wait and see with fall practice starting Aug 17th and first Sec game Sept 26.

One can only imagine IF the Sec plays football this fall.

Like many have stated, thinking young men and women will stay locked up, ain't happening, just saying.

Imagine the viewership and new fans State would pick up if we?re the only game in town

R2Dawg
08-10-2020, 07:57 PM

Sankey ain't got no backbone; he'll fold like a cheap suit when it comes to it. He is playing politics just like he did with the MS flag thing.

parabrave
08-11-2020, 12:19 AM
It's called Trial Lawyers got to make up their losses. BTW this will probably be the death knell of conferences. We are going to see a massive re-alignment of major teams that didn't cancel into new super conferences.

Commercecomet24
08-11-2020, 12:22 AM
Sankey ain't got no backbone; he'll fold like a cheap suit when it comes to it. He is playing politics just like he did with the MS flag thing.

That's why I put the IF in there. I don't trust Sankey for nothing but this may not be his call.

Todd4State
08-11-2020, 01:34 AM
It's called Trial Lawyers got to make up their losses. BTW this will probably be the death knell of conferences. We are going to see a massive re-alignment of major teams that didn't cancel into new super conferences.

I think the Big 10 knows that though. They're running the risk of pissing off some of their major programs. Nebraska has already switched conferences once the past few years. I doubt they would have much of a problem doing it again. Even if there are too many legal hurdles to jump through costing teams like Ohio State, Iowa, Nebraska and etc. a full season would be a major blow to those programs and I'm sure that's something that wouldn't be lost on those programs and they might leave when the opportunity comes.

was21
08-11-2020, 07:02 AM
Guess I'm in the dark then. If not medical and health reasons what other reason would there be?

HailStateSZN19
08-11-2020, 07:36 AM
Guess I'm in the dark then. If not medical and health reasons what other reason would there be?

P O L I T I C S.

It’s obvious. Politics have been involved since the beginning. It’s an election year. No college football for an entire fall on top of what has gone on and happened since March = a tanked economy. And it’d be just in time for the election in November. Hmmmmm.... and it’s just so happens that the B10 and PAC12 schools have been the ones wanting to cancel fall sports for months now. Now let’s see....those conferences’ teams reside in states that are mainly of what political affiliation.....

StateDawg44
08-11-2020, 07:46 AM
P O L I T I C S.

It’s obvious. Politics have been involved since the beginning. It’s an election year. No college football for an entire fall on top of what has gone on and happened since March = a tanked economy. And it’d be just in time for the election in November. Hmmmmm.... and it’s just so happens that the B10 and PAC12 schools have been the ones wanting to cancel fall sports for months now. Now let’s see....those conferences’ teams reside in states that are mainly of what political affiliation.....

After this and the football tweet from Trump, college football is now full tilt open game for politics to poison it too. It really sucks to see it

HailStateSZN19
08-11-2020, 08:00 AM
After this and the football tweet from Trump, college football is now full tilt open game for politics to poison it too. It really sucks to see it

Bingo. I’m not going to get into a political back and forth or even reveal what politics I agree with. But Trump tweeting about it just proved that it was already political and it got even more political once he tweeted about it. It’s a slippery slope that I really hope CFB doesn’t fall down going forward. Politics need to be kept out of college athletics as much as possible. It won’t completely be free of it but it could full on ruin it like some pro sports. That’s as deep into politics talk as I’ll get on a sports message board.

Dawgology
08-11-2020, 08:28 AM

BIG10 made little to no money last season. Best accounts are they broke even...the numbers indicate that they lost 500 million as a whole. This gives them a reason to cancel for a year and get back in the black. Same reason the MAC in canceling/canceled.

These divisions depend a lot on their OOC games also. They have one or two big name teams and the rest are shit that no one really cares about. In comparison to the SEC with Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida...those will get viewership all over the US. Canceling the season for the SEC is a loss of about 700 million in revenue. Canceling the season for the BIG10 is actually saving them about 500 million (and that's not including the extra testing/medical costs).

Dawgology
08-11-2020, 08:29 AM
Bingo. I’m not going to get into a political back and forth or even reveal what politics I agree with. But Trump tweeting about it just proved that it was already political and it got even more political once he tweeted about it. It’s a slippery slope that I really hope CFB doesn’t fall down going forward. Politics need to be kept out of college athletics as much as possible. It won’t completely be free of it but it could full on ruin it like some pro sports. That’s as deep into politics talk as I’ll get on a sports message board.

As long as Disney owns ESPN sports will be political.

FISHDAWG
08-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Bingo. I?m not going to get into a political back and forth or even reveal what politics I agree with. But Trump tweeting about it just proved that it was already political and it got even more political once he tweeted about it. It?s a slippery slope that I really hope CFB doesn?t fall down going forward. Politics need to be kept out of college athletics as much as possible. It won?t completely be free of it but it could full on ruin it like some pro sports. That?s as deep into politics talk as I?ll get on a sports message board.

I would expect any president, whether Republican or Democrat to promote national morale for everyone ... when there are almost as many people thinking there should be no football as there are saying yes let's play then I don't see that as politics or campaigning.

DownwardDawg
08-11-2020, 08:39 AM

Yep. And I freakin hate it!!! Regardless of party affiliation, everyone should hate any politics in college sports. It’s sucks.

Johnson85
08-11-2020, 09:57 AM
BIG10 made little to no money last season. Best accounts are they broke even...the numbers indicate that they lost 500 million as a whole. This gives them a reason to cancel for a year and get back in the black. Same reason the MAC in canceling/canceled.

These divisions depend a lot on their OOC games also. They have one or two big name teams and the rest are shit that no one really cares about. In comparison to the SEC with Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida...those will get viewership all over the US. Canceling the season for the SEC is a loss of about 700 million in revenue. Canceling the season for the BIG10 is actually saving them about 500 million (and that's not including the extra testing/medical costs).

How in the hell did they manage to not make any money? That's got to be wrong. They're TV money wsa $54M per school last year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/05/15/big-ten-revenue-hit-nearly-759-million-fiscal-2018/3686089002/

Mjoelner34
08-11-2020, 10:01 AM
Imagine the viewership and new fans State would pick up if we?re the only game in town

Imagine Vandy finishing the season ranked 14th in the nation. That's straight Twilight Zone shit!

was21
08-11-2020, 10:10 AM
Oh...another political conspiracy theory against trump...got it

Dawgology
08-11-2020, 10:21 AM
Oh...another political conspiracy theory against trump...got it

The funny thing is the number of people that believe their party is the white knight in all of this. I 100% believe thst the Dems are using a lot of this (and directing it in some instances) to pur pressure on the White House, alienate Trump from his supporters, and impact the election that they are desperate to win.

If the shoe was on the other foot then the GOP would be doing the exact same thing and I'm very sure that they have been directing some of the anti-mask propaganda and rioting/looting stuff.

It is what it is. To thin that politics doesn't play into all of this is to completely bury your head in the sand.

StateDawg44
08-11-2020, 10:30 AM
I would expect any president, whether Republican or Democrat to promote national morale for everyone ... when there are almost as many people thinking there should be no football as there are saying yes let's play then I don't see that as politics or campaigning.

At this point, no harm no foul. All it will take is anyone politician that opposes the idea of football being played as a platform and a method to pander for votes.

A day into things starting to heat up on this decision, it's yet to be seen whether lines will been drawn and the public is required to choose a side on the matter of play or don't play.

But it isn't crazy to think this is a very plausible possibility that the same people who want disorder and life all but paused to be "outraged" at the thought of football being played.

Everyone has known it would come to this in the final hour of "offseason". If you haven't you're blinded by where you fall and not seeing what has been happening this entire year (on both sides).

Don't even try and pretend like any politician is above doing any of this.

Homedawg
08-11-2020, 10:46 AM

how do you think cancelling is going to get them in the black??? opposite, they are going to lose their asses.

R2Dawg
08-11-2020, 11:24 AM

Where have you been? Football has been full tilt political since kneeling and BLM took over. You can't blame this on Trump.

R2Dawg
08-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Hah, so true and sad.

msbulldog
08-11-2020, 12:11 PM
How in the hell did they manage to not make any money? That's got to be wrong. They're TV money wsa $54M per school last year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/05/15/big-ten-revenue-hit-nearly-759-million-fiscal-2018/3686089002/

They spent more than they took in.

Commercecomet24
08-11-2020, 12:18 PM
Hah, so true and sad.

Remember the good ol days of sportscenter, baseball tonight, and live sports? Espn used to be the only channel I needed. Now I couldn't Even tell you the last time I watched ESPN

StateDawg44
08-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Where have you been? Football has been full tilt political since kneeling and BLM took over. You can't blame this on Trump.

Chill I'm not blaming Trump. I don't blame one or the other. It's more the bafoons who are incapable of having a civil conversation and hear the other side. I blame any politician clearly. They are all the same.

Kneeling compared to canceling the entire season are so far from being in the same spectrum there is no need in me addressing it. You might as well just toss the kneeling thing in with the BLM stuff that went on in 2016, the previous election year.

FISHDAWG
08-11-2020, 01:45 PM
Pete Thamel tweeted the ACC is further away from backing out than they were a few days ago .... Keep standing tall Sankey

FISHDAWG
08-11-2020, 01:47 PM
This just in...
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1293257210810728459

Cloak
08-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Delete