PDA

View Full Version : Odds that the players get together to sue the NCAA to play?

Todd4State
08-09-2020, 09:12 PM
I'm guessing based on social media that may happen.

We'll see.

They wanted to unionize football but I don't think this is how they planned it.

Cooterpoot
08-09-2020, 10:02 PM
Zero chance that happens. The NCAA isn't who is doing this.

TrapGame
08-09-2020, 10:04 PM
It also opens up who gets an extra year on the house. And how will recruiting be treated. And how will future practices occur.

Cancelling college football won't be the crazy part. What comes after will be totally insane.

MetEdDawg
08-09-2020, 10:17 PM
It also opens up who gets an extra year on the house. And how will recruiting be treated. And how will future practices occur.

Cancelling college football won't be the crazy part. What comes after will be totally insane.

This is what has me concerned. What happens after? If you thought baseball trying to figure out how to manage scholarships and roster sizes was an adventure, just wait until we have to figure out the same for college football.

Commercecomet24
08-09-2020, 10:19 PM
This is what has me concerned. What happens after? If you thought baseball trying to figure out how to manage scholarships and roster sizes was an adventure, just wait until we have to figure out the same for college football.

Yep it will be a cluster of unheard of proportions!

Todd4State
08-09-2020, 10:26 PM

I have thought about it. It's going to be well over 100 players on scholarship.

MSU baseball has already had to expand their clubhouse in anticipation of the larger roster next season.

Todd4State
08-09-2020, 10:27 PM
Zero chance that happens. The NCAA isn't who is doing this.

Sue whoever is responsible.

HoopsDawg
08-09-2020, 10:32 PM

The season may get canceled b/c college presidents are concerned about athletes suing the universities. It was the NCAA, for reasons unclear, that would not allow a waiver to be signed by the players to play.

Cooterpoot
08-09-2020, 10:51 PM

That would end college athletics.

Cooterpoot
08-09-2020, 10:52 PM
The season may get canceled b/c college presidents are concerned about athletes suing the universities. It was the NCAA, for reasons unclear, that would not allow a waiver to be signed by the players to play.

That waiver wouldn't hold up in court anyway. And it's not what is driving this. This has been in the works for months.

BeardoMSU
08-09-2020, 10:52 PM
I don't see anyway this would happen.

Not only that, but would you really trust a collective of college athletes to lead such a suit, considering what is going on in the Pac12?

HoopsDawg
08-09-2020, 11:20 PM
That waiver wouldn't hold up in court anyway. And it's not what is driving this. This has been in the works for months.

It's definitely part of the reason. Player safety is down the list of concerns.

Liverpooldawg
08-10-2020, 08:45 AM

Waivers mean nothing. You cant sign away your rights, even voluntarily.

ScoobaDawg
08-10-2020, 09:25 AM

China? ***

ScoobaDawg
08-10-2020, 09:26 AM
It's definitely part of the reason. Player safety is down the list of concerns.

So what's the main reason then..?

Dawgology
08-10-2020, 09:37 AM

Conferences outside of the SEC, ACC, and Big12 can't pull enough interest without OOC competition to be financially feasible. This is why conferences like the MAC suspended their season. Who were they going to play? Who actually gives a crap about those conference games if it doesn't involve a team in the P5 and none of those were going to be available this year.

So they pull the plug on the season and couch their reason in "covid-19 player safety" but at the end of the day it's the lack of a P5 paycheck that made the decision for them. Then you have social media, news outlets, politically affiliated groups that amplify that decision and place pressure on all conferences to follow suit or you get murdered in the court of public opinion. Doesn't matter the actual fallout from this decision. Just do it...because that's what is supposed to happen.

It's all the rage right now...cancel sports.

The cure will be much worse than the virus ever could be as business across the south shut down. The economies will be wrecked for most of the south except for very large cities. Hundred's of thousands MORE will be jobless, insuranceless, etc. But don't worry...the government will print more money to take care of everyone. But at least everyone will be safe from a virus so dangerous that you have to be tested to know if you have had it.

HoopsDawg
08-10-2020, 12:45 PM

Liability and Optics.

Homedawg
08-10-2020, 01:08 PM
I'm guessing based on social media that may happen.

We'll see.

They wanted to unionize football but I don't think this is how they planned it.

The ncaa isn't telling any league what to do. The sec will decide no matter what the NCAA says. With that said, I doubt we play a down.

Homedawg
08-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Conferences outside of the SEC, ACC, and Big12 can't pull enough interest without OOC competition to be financially feasible. This is why conferences like the MAC suspended their season. Who were they going to play? Who actually gives a crap about those conference games if it doesn't involve a team in the P5 and none of those were going to be available this year.

So they pull the plug on the season and couch their reason in "covid-19 player safety" but at the end of the day it's the lack of a P5 paycheck that made the decision for them. Then you have social media, news outlets, politically affiliated groups that amplify that decision and place pressure on all conferences to follow suit or you get murdered in the court of public opinion. Doesn't matter the actual fallout from this decision. Just do it...because that's what is supposed to happen.

The cure will be much worse than the virus ever could be as business across the south shut down. The economies will be wrecked for most of the south except for very large cities. Hundred's of thousands MORE will be jobless, insuranceless, etc. But don't worry...the government will print more money to take care of everyone. But at least everyone will be safe from a virus so dangerous that you have to be tested to know if you have had it.

The cure is worse than the virus. Going to be much worse before it's over. Much much

FISHDAWG
08-10-2020, 01:23 PM
I don't see anyway this would happen.

Not only that, but would you really trust a collective of college athletes to lead such a suit, considering what is going on in the Pac12?

who would pay the lawyers and legal fees ? ...... OM only has 85 players**

Commercecomet24
08-10-2020, 01:28 PM

Well said.

HoopsDawg
08-10-2020, 01:35 PM
The cure is worse than the virus. Going to be much worse before it's over. Much much

I can't comprehend the aftershocks if all sports are cancelled this year.

HoopsDawg
08-10-2020, 01:41 PM
Waivers mean nothing. You cant sign away your rights, even voluntarily.

That's exactly what a waiver is. If worded correctly and signed in good faith, it prevents you from seeking legal claims.

Liability is what may prevent college football from happening.

Homedawg
08-10-2020, 01:41 PM
I can't comprehend the aftershocks if all sports are cancelled this year.

Massive. Of epic proportions!! As I've said college sports as we know it, will be done.....

Commercecomet24
08-10-2020, 01:52 PM
Massive. Of epic proportions!! As I've said college sports as we know it, will be done.....

Can you say Titanic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gK_2XdjOdY