PDA

View Full Version : Pete Thamel tweeted

starkvegasdawg
08-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Big 10 meeting to possibly cancel football season.

99jc
08-08-2020, 11:27 AM
He has went out on a limb for weeks now very adamant there will be no college football season.

was21
08-08-2020, 11:28 AM
May be straw that breaks camel back...if so, other conference dominos will start to fall

Dawgology
08-08-2020, 12:06 PM
As I’ve stated before they need to push it till spring. Is what it is. There will be a lot of college towns that won’t recover or will be a long time recovering if it happens. Lots of people and families out of jobs.

Walkerhill
08-08-2020, 12:26 PM
As I?ve stated before they need to push it till spring. Is what it is. There will be a lot of college towns that won?t recover or will be a long time recovering if it happens. Lots of people and families out of jobs.

A full season with fans in the spring would be better for small college towns, right?

The current fall plan will bring in far less revenue than a typical season.

MetEdDawg
08-08-2020, 12:37 PM
As I?ve stated before they need to push it till spring. Is what it is. There will be a lot of college towns that won?t recover or will be a long time recovering if it happens. Lots of people and families out of jobs.

Not sure why folks think things will be different in spring.

We won't have a vaccine, this virus has passed through less than 2% of the population (even if you think it's more it's not anything close to what would be needed to get back to normal), it has the ability to mutate and we don't know what that means for vaccine effectiveness, and we don't have measures to mitigate spread in large groups of people. Add to that the fact that football players themselves won't be in a bubble and I've got no clue why folks just automatically think the spring is just a sure fire guarantee for things to all of a sudden become normal again.

If football goes away this year, it's not coming back until we've got a better understanding of the virus. This has nothing to do with people and places (I guess it does somewhat because people are still not taking precautions seriously). It has most everything to do with the virus. We don't know enough about it to protect enough people to get on with life normally. Until we do, it's hard imagining that we move forward much beyond where we are right now.

Bothrops
08-08-2020, 12:43 PM
I somehow doubt there will be an effective, safe vaccine by spring. The MAC just canceled their football. Covid-19 might be the straw that breaks the back of sports, period.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-08-2020, 12:50 PM
This is so stupid. Just play ball. Those players that want to play can play. Those that do not can relinquish their scholarships. Those available scholarships can be given to players that do want to play. It really is that simple.

At my office, we have continued to operate every single day this year. We recently had a covid positive case by an employee. That employee stayed home for 14 days and is now back at work and doing awesome.

Admittedly, I had one employee in mid-March express some concern about coming to work and that they might die from COVID. I politely explained that we will be working, and if they can't work then maybe this isn't the job for them. Some think that sounds cold, but if you are a lineman for Entergy and are afraid of electricity (it can be dangerous), then you learn how to manage the fear and be careful, or you find a different job.

A lot of players are looking for a free education without having to do anything in my opinion.

Edited to add that I'm sure someone will say "it's life and death we are talking about here." My answer to that is that there is a reason that dangerous jobs pay more than non-dangerous jobs. Off-shore oil rig work pays more than burger flipper at McDonalds. Free humans choose which job they want. Tell the players that there will be football, and they can make a choice on whether they want to play.

Most college presidents are liberal academics who are scared of a spider and need a safe space because "words hurt."

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 01:03 PM
If they cancel the season:

1. They are ****ing stupid.

2. I hope every single media member that gloats gets fired because there are no sports to cover.

Hambone
08-08-2020, 01:43 PM
I agree, dangerous jobs pay more money.

College football players make.......... well shit there goes your argument.

Dawgology
08-08-2020, 02:07 PM
Spring has nothing to do with a vaccine in my opinion. I would hope there are better treatments at that point and it would put us on the other side of flu season. That’s about it.

Cooterpoot
08-08-2020, 02:15 PM
Spring has nothing to do with a vaccine in my opinion. I would hope there are better treatments at that point and it would put us on the other side of flu season. That?s about it.

Vaccine is likely to be only 50% effective. So what then? Funny these guys don't care if the kids go to class & campus with 20,000 other kids, but they're shutting everything down over a couple hundred kids that play sports on those campuses.

HoopsDawg
08-08-2020, 02:17 PM
The NFL is going to set ratings records.

Homedawg
08-08-2020, 02:23 PM
There are not going to be sports this school year. Nothing will be different in spring

Joebob
08-08-2020, 02:33 PM

You beat me to it.

smootness
08-08-2020, 02:45 PM
This is so stupid. Just play ball. Those players that want to play can play. Those that do not can relinquish their scholarships. Those available scholarships can be given to players that do want to play. It really is that simple.

At my office, we have continued to operate every single day this year. We recently had a covid positive case by an employee. That employee stayed home for 14 days and is now back at work and doing awesome.

Admittedly, I had one employee in mid-March express some concern about coming to work and that they might die from COVID. I politely explained that we will be working, and if they can't work then maybe this isn't the job for them. Some think that sounds cold, but if you are a lineman for Entergy and are afraid of electricity (it can be dangerous), then you learn how to manage the fear and be careful, or you find a different job.

A lot of players are looking for a free education without having to do anything in my opinion.

Edited to add that I'm sure someone will say "it's life and death we are talking about here." My answer to that is that there is a reason that dangerous jobs pay more than non-dangerous jobs. Off-shore oil rig work pays more than burger flipper at McDonalds. Free humans choose which job they want. Tell the players that there will be football, and they can make a choice on whether they want to play.

Most college presidents are liberal academics who are scared of a spider and need a safe space because "words hurt."

No way could they tell these students that if they don't play during a pandemic, they won't have a scholarship. That is insane.

TrapGame
08-08-2020, 02:59 PM
So now playing football is a certain death sentence from a virus with a 98% survival rate.

I'm an essential worker. I've been working through this since day one. I know one person personally that has had COVID. It was a bad cold for few days and that was it. I see dozens of patients Monday through Friday. I've never had a symptom, a fever, or a pain. You'd think being in the medical field I'd be surrounded by people that had been infected or know more people that had been infected.

MetEdDawg
08-08-2020, 03:09 PM
No way could they tell these students that if they don't play during a pandemic, they won't have a scholarship. That is insane.

The fact that people can even think that during this is messed up. I'm still shocked at the ignorance about this virus. People don't understand that this is not just about the players catching it. It's about them potentially passing it to someone else and us overwhelming our health care system to the point where people can't get the treatment or resources necessary to successfully combat the symptoms.

Yes the majority of people aren't getting dangerously ill. But let's just say we changed nothing about our habits in March and we all just let everyone do whatever the hell they wanted. The healthcare system would be in shambles and there would be a lot more people dead or worse off than they would have been. We didn't have the medical infrastructure to handle what that would have looked like.

I still don't understand how people don't see that. But let's make kids give up their scholarships because they are concerned about how a virus might could damage them or their family because I need my football fix. No one on this board can say for certain who on our football team or in their family could be the one that ends up in the hospital from this. But then we are the ones that go out and say make them play or they can choose to give up their scholarship.

Sorry but if you think like that you are a crap human being. And I'll continue to say that I'm a conservative white male educator saying this. Folks continuously bring politics into this. Screw that crap. This is common sense. Football and education are not at important as health and human safety. Ever.

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 03:09 PM
So now playing football is a certain death sentence from a virus with a 98% survival rate.

I'm an essential worker. I've been working through this since day one. I know one person personally that has had COVID. It was a bad cold for few days and that was it. I see dozens of patients Monday through Friday. I've never had a symptom, a fever, or a pain. You'd think being in the medical field I'd be surrounded by people that had been infected or know more people that had been infected.

I am an essential worker and I agree. It's time to figure out how to live with this rather than just hide behind a mask for the rest of our lives. Well over 98% of the people- some who have been on a vent and have has the worst cases of this have survived. Also my hospital is currently trialing a vaccine as well.

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 03:11 PM
The fact that people can even think that during this is messed up. I'm still shocked at the ignorance about this virus. People don't understand that this is not just about the players catching it. It's about them potentially passing it to someone else and us overwhelming our health care system to the point where people can't get the treatment or resources necessary to successfully combat the systems.

Yes the majority of people aren't getting ill. But let's just say we changed nothing about our habits in March and we all just let everyone do whatever the hell they wanted. The healthcare system would be in shambles and there would be a lot of people dead who would otherwise have been able to survive. We didn't have the medical infrastructure to handle what that would have looked like.

I still don't understand how people don't see that. But let's make kids give up their scholarships because they are concerned about how a virus might could damage them or their family because I need my football fix. No one on this board can say for certain who on our football team or in their family could be the one that ends up in the hospital from this. But then we are the ones that go out and say make them play or they can choose to give up their scholarship.

Sorry but if you think like that you are a crap human being. And I'll continue to say that I'm a conservative white male educator saying this. Folks continuously bring politics into this. Screw that crap. This is common sense. Football and education are not at important as health and human safety. Ever.

I don't see how you can't see that we have had multiple spikes and literally the entire country come into contact with someone who has had COVID and our health care system never was overwhelmed across the country.

MaroonFlounder
08-08-2020, 03:14 PM
A full season with fans in the spring would be better for small college towns, right?

That's why the newest govt stimulus needs to include something for businesses in towns dependent upon events at sports venues to strive/survive. But no, there has to be millions $$$ given to "the arts", PBS, Smithsonian Institute, Kennedy Center, and a bunch of other entities that mismanaged their resources and bilk the govt for emergency bailouts.

Commercecomet24
08-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Maybe we can just have a virtual season, you know just let head coaches play each other on PlayStation, Nintendo or whatever game system is out there(only half kidding)!

MetEdDawg
08-08-2020, 03:18 PM
I don't see how you can't see that we have had multiple spikes and literally the entire country come into contact with someone who has had COVID and our health care system never was overwhelmed across the country.

If you think the entire country came into contact with COVID then you don't have this right in your mind. You wouldn't have anyone else getting sick if we literally all came in contact with it. It would be done with. Think of the hundreds of thousands of kids who were sent home and not exposed.

What you need to do in your mind is think about everyone who got sick and hospitalized between about May and the end of July and shove all those numbers together in about a 2 week period and tell me if the healthcare system could have handled that. The number of beds, ventilators, access to treatment (which we didn't have at the time). It would have shut us down completely as a country. Plenty of ICUs have been at 80% or more with us mitigating. Uncontrolled spread on the level we've seen the last 2 months would have absolutely crippled us.

Shocks me that people don't see how that would have played out and how that ultimately would have affected normal hospital operations for general stuff.

Commercecomet24
08-08-2020, 03:20 PM
Looks like it's time to move this to the eternal covid thread.

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 03:48 PM
If you think the entire country came into contact with COVID then you don't have this right in your mind. You wouldn't have anyone else getting sick if we literally all came in contact with it. It would be done with. Think of the hundreds of thousands of kids who were sent home and not exposed.

What you need to do in your mind is think about everyone who got sick and hospitalized between about May and the end of July and shove all those numbers together in about a 2 week period and tell me if the healthcare system could have handled that. The number of beds, ventilators, access to treatment (which we didn't have at the time). It would have shut us down completely as a country. Plenty of ICUs have been at 80% or more with us mitigating. Uncontrolled spread on the level we've seen the last 2 months would have absolutely crippled us.

Shocks me that people don't see how that would have played out and how that ultimately would have affected normal hospital operations for general stuff.

Your two week scenario is bullshit because that's not how it would have worked even if we went full Sweden.

Also there's a difference between come into contact with and contract a virus. I've come into contact with a lot of people with and known to have it and apparently even had it myself. We have this thing that the media hasn't heard of called an immunity system that helps ward off diseases.

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 03:50 PM
Maybe we can just have a virtual season, you know just let head coaches play each other on PlayStation, Nintendo or whatever game system is out there(only half kidding)!

Yeah! I'll take on Karen Wolken and run it up on his ass in PlayStation. Ha!

Commercecomet24
08-08-2020, 03:53 PM
Yeah! I'll take on Karen Wolken and run it up on his ass in PlayStation. Ha!

Get him, Todd!

StarkVegasSteve
08-08-2020, 03:55 PM
I'm honest to god just sick of almost all the CFB media seemingly pushing for no season. Like have some 17 positivity about things. Whether it's Thamel, Forde, Wolken, etc. it's just like their giddy at the thought of no season. They haven't once tweeted a positive thing since all this started. First it was reporting on the positive cases when players returned to campus, now that there aren't but one or two testing positive they've moved on to the next depressing and negative story.

BHildreth3
08-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Y'all help me out. I really haven't kept up much but why the hell would the CFB media be so negative and not want a season to cover? Seriously! I don't get it.

Mobile Bay
08-08-2020, 04:28 PM

Tell that to my student loans which they don't have.

Mobile Bay
08-08-2020, 04:31 PM
Y'all help me out. I really haven't kept up much but why the hell would the CFB media be so negative and not want a season to cover? Seriously! I don't get it.

Because ESPN, USA Today, and others are left wing and they still have Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Turfdawg67
08-08-2020, 04:51 PM
That's why the newest govt stimulus needs to include something for businesses in towns dependent upon events at sports venues to strive/survive. But no, there has to be millions $$$ given to "the arts", PBS, Smithsonian Institute, Kennedy Center, and a bunch of other entities that mismanaged their resources and bilk the govt for emergency bailouts.

Don't forget all the millionaires that got a big chunk of the Cares Act.

MetEdDawg
08-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Your two week scenario is bullshit because that's not how it would have worked even if we went full Sweden.

Also there's a difference between come into contact with and contract a virus. I've come into contact with a lot of people with and known to have it and apparently even had it myself. We have this thing that the media hasn't heard of called an immunity system that helps ward off diseases.

I would like to know your scenario as to what would have happened to the healthcare/hospital system had we done nothing and just continued on as normal.

From your posts I've seen it sounds like that's about where you are at. I would like to know what the hospitals would have looked like with no masks and no social distancing and school still in session March through May.

Turfdawg67
08-08-2020, 05:01 PM
MEDIA! MEDIA! MEDIA! Here's an actual picture of Todd4State...

https://i.postimg.cc/76hz1VN2/IMG-0810.jpg

RocketDawg
08-08-2020, 05:08 PM

Did all those places receive stimulus money? The Smithsonian Institution museums don't charge admission, so really shouldn't be noticing much difference (maybe in the gift shop) in income. I know the US Space & Rocket Center (a Smithsonial affiliate) didn't receive a penney, even though they're an educational institution as much as anything (think Space Camp). In fact, they have an successful ongoing fund-raising drive to keep the place open, and it's the #1 tourist attraction in Alabama, other than the beaches.

I don't have any trouble with providing money to the arts or PBS. Art museums serve a vital function, as does PBS. I'm not sure PBS is subject to much lost income due to Covid though.

I'd much rather those places get money than to give to to cities that condoned, and even seemed to encourage, riots and arson of businesses and public buildings. Let the cities pay the bills they allowed to accrue.

HoopsDawg
08-08-2020, 05:23 PM
These players are just as likely to get Covid with or without football. Probably safer by playing football since they are going to be tested so often.

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Get him, Todd!

Flea flicker on Karen up 70-0. It's coming.

I'm honest to god just sick of almost all the CFB media seemingly pushing for no season. Like have some 17 positivity about things. Whether it's Thamel, Forde, Wolken, etc. it's just like their giddy at the thought of no season. They haven't once tweeted a positive thing since all this started. First it was reporting on the positive cases when players returned to campus, now that there aren't but one or two testing positive they've moved on to the next depressing and negative story.

It's exactly the same as message board culture. It's more about "I'm right and you're not" to them. The problem is they don't leave any room for discourse or to have an opinion other than their own. And if someone has a different opinion than you are terrible person who doesn't care about people and are stupid moron. The media will also be the first ones begging people to feel sorry for them because they got laid off for ironically "being right".

And it's not just college football- Adam Wainwright called out a reporter for either leaking info before the Cardinals knew it or for being straight up incorrect.

I would like to know your scenario as to what would have happened to the healthcare/hospital system had we done nothing and just continued on as normal.

From your posts I've seen it sounds like that's about where you are at. I would like to know what the hospitals would have looked like with no masks and no social distancing and school still in session March through May.

March through May? Yeah I think we did the right thing then. But we're in August now. Bear in mind I'm on the COVID team where I work- we started it this month kind of officially. I can tell you we treat the disease better now than we did. We use high flow oxygen as much as we can to avoid ventilator use and have been VERY successful at doing it. Which limited and basically eliminated the concern about running out of vents. We use Hydroxichloriquine and have had a lot of success with it when it is used early along with zinc. We use Remesdivir too. I can also tell you that my hospital is currently starting to trial a vaccine along several other hospitals so we'll see how that goes. I'm not sure if I will be able to find out the results on the vaccine because those people are going to be outpatient which is not where I am. We don't care about politics. WE care about people getting better.

I can still tell you that the patients that I am seeing (all I see are inpatient in the hospital) are mostly still:

1. Morbidly obese
2. African American
3. Hispanic
4. Have multiple co-morbidities- like a history of stroke or something like that.

I have heard stories about that person that is 20-40 that was in perfect health that ended up on a vent. I don't doubt that happened- but I can also personally tell you I haven't seen one patient like that and I work at huge hospital that is bigger than any in Mississippi and I can also without a doubt tell you that is NOT the norm. The exception is still an exception even if it makes front page news.

College football players are extremely low risk because of their age and the fact that most of them outside of those that play for Moorhead are in good shape. It doesn't surprise me that a lineman would be hospitalized because they are more likely to be obese like the one guy from Indiana I believe. But that's one out of a sample size of how many Big 10 players? How many college football players?

RocketDawg
08-08-2020, 06:39 PM

Probably would be 1918 squared.

Gutter Cobreh
08-08-2020, 06:46 PM
Flea flicker on Karen up 70-0. It's coming.

It's exactly the same as message board culture. It's more about "I'm right and you're not" to them. The problem is they don't leave any room for discourse or to have an opinion other than their own. And if someone has a different opinion than you are terrible person who doesn't care about people and are stupid moron. The media will also be the first ones begging people to feel sorry for them because they got laid off for ironically "being right".

And it's not just college football- Adam Wainwright called out a reporter for either leaking info before the Cardinals knew it or for being straight up incorrect.

March through May? Yeah I think we did the right thing then. But we're in August now. Bear in mind I'm on the COVID team where I work- we started it this month kind of officially. I can tell you we treat the disease better now than we did. We use high flow oxygen as much as we can to avoid ventilator use and have been VERY successful at doing it. Which limited and basically eliminated the concern about running out of vents. We use Hydroxichloriquine and have had a lot of success with it when it is used early along with zinc. We use Remesdivir too. I can also tell you that my hospital is currently starting to trial a vaccine along several other hospitals so we'll see how that goes. I'm not sure if I will be able to find out the results on the vaccine because those people are going to be outpatient which is not where I am. We don't care about politics. WE care about people getting better.

I can still tell you that the patients that I am seeing (all I see are inpatient in the hospital) are mostly still:

1. Morbidly obese
2. African American
3. Hispanic
4. Have multiple co-morbidities- like a history of stroke or something like that.

I have heard stories about that person that is 20-40 that was in perfect health that ended up on a vent. I don't doubt that happened- but I can also personally tell you I haven't seen one patient like that and I work at huge hospital that is bigger than any in Mississippi and I can also without a doubt tell you that is NOT the norm. The exception is still an exception even if it makes front page news.

College football players are extremely low risk because of their age and the fact that most of them outside of those that play for Moorhead are in good shape. It doesn't surprise me that a lineman would be hospitalized because they are more likely to be obese like the one guy from Indiana I believe. But that's one out of a sample size of how many Big 10 players? How many college football players?

What about the coach at Lafayette High School that just passed away due to COVID and was working with players last week during conditioning?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wreg.com/news/lafayette-county-teacher-dies-after-bout-with-covid-19/amp/

It isn't about being right or wrong, it's about making the best decision you can with the information you currently have.

I guess since he falls under #2 on your list, it is what it is right???

KOdawg1
08-08-2020, 06:55 PM

#agenda

msbulldog
08-08-2020, 06:58 PM

Todd was it last week that the 5 largest Mississippi Medical Centers, including MMMC were out of ICU beds?

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 06:59 PM
What about the coach at Lafayette High School that just passed away due to COVID and was working with players last week during conditioning?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wreg.com/news/lafayette-county-teacher-dies-after-bout-with-covid-19/amp/

It isn't about being right or wrong, it's about making the best decision you can with the information you currently have.

And #1. How many coaches lived?

How many died that went to a protest?

msbulldog
08-08-2020, 07:00 PM

CC I'll take that fantasy bet and my man is Mike Leach in that game.

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 07:01 PM
Todd was it last week that the 5 largest Mississippi Medical Centers, including MMMC were out of ICU beds?

Yes. But from what I understand there were some things that they could have done better which would have alleviated their situation. I actually saw a patient or two that normally would have been at UMC and got diverted.

msbulldog
08-08-2020, 07:15 PM
Yes. But from what I understand there were some things that they could have done better which would have alleviated their situation. I actually saw a patient or two that normally would have been at UMC and got diverted.

Todd, UMC is one of the ones that are full.

DownwardDawg
08-08-2020, 07:15 PM

Thank the good Lord I?m an essential worker!!!!!! Essential lives matter!!!!!

DownwardDawg
08-08-2020, 07:17 PM

My wife’s hospital in Hattiesburg has been out of ICU beds a while now. She spends most of her day figuring out where they gonna put patients.

Commercecomet24
08-08-2020, 07:21 PM
CC I'll take that fantasy bet and my man is Mike Leach in that game.

Absolutely! Leach can take em all. We might win a national championship if this happens!

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Todd, UMC is one of the ones that are full.

Yes, I'm aware. I have a lot of friends that still work there.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-08-2020, 08:09 PM
Utility workers are working. Kroger, Target, etc. are open. Banks are open. Restaurants and hotels are open. Bumpers is selling ice cream. I can buy a car. I can buy liquor. I can buy a lottery ticket. I've been on a vacation this summer out of state. I can get my oil changed. I can go through the drive-thru at Zaxbys.

But we can't play football. Let's cancel football forever. They might catch a stomach bug or the flu from a teammate. Or might have a wreck going to practice. Or might die from playing (Chuckie Mullins and our own Rodney Stowers).

I'm living my life. I'm working and earning my paycheck. I guess I'm more of a man than some on this board who are still cowering in their house.

Cooterpoot
08-08-2020, 08:13 PM

No. They all weren't actually out of beds.

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 08:17 PM
No. They all weren't actually out of beds.

They claimed that they were like -29 a week or so ago. I'm assuming that's COVID beds most likely and they probably needed to open another unit up to alleviate it.

MetEdDawg
08-08-2020, 08:19 PM
Utility workers are working. Kroger, Target, etc. are open. Banks are open. Restaurants and hotels are open. Bumpers is selling ice cream. I can buy a car. I can buy liquor. I can buy a lottery ticket. I've been on a vacation this summer out of state. I can get my oil changed. I can go through the drive-thru at Zaxbys.

But we can't play football. Let's cancel football forever. They might catch a stomach bug or the flu from a teammate. Or might have a wreck going to practice. Or might die from playing (Chuckie Mullins and our own Rodney Stowers).

I'm living my life. I'm working and earning my paycheck. I guess I'm more of a man than some on this board who are still cowering in their house.

Your last paragraph is a pretty ballsy statement for someone who doesn't know what other folks may or may not have experienced during COVID.

I'm a public school administrator. I've been going to my job as well and earning my pay check. But I still think we should be doing school online this year. Maybe you are more of a man that me but I could almost bet that if someone catches COVID under your watch you can't go to court. I potentially could. And before anyone else negates that could happen. Think again. We've already been warned about it by multiple people.

So you'll forgive me if I have a slightly less manly version of how this could play out than you.

TrapGame
08-08-2020, 08:20 PM

He was never diagnosed with COVID. This is fear porn. Read the article again.

BeardoMSU
08-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Your last paragraph is a pretty ballsy statement for someone who doesn't know what other folks may or may not have experienced during COVID.

I'm a public school administrator. I've been going to my job as well and earning my pay check. But I still think we should be doing school online this year. Maybe you are more of a man that me but I could almost bet that if someone catches COVID under your watch you can't go to court. I potentially could. And before anyone else negates that could happen. Think again. We've already been warned about it by multiple people.

So you'll forgive me if I have a slightly less manly version of how this could play out than you.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MetEdDawg again.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-08-2020, 08:32 PM

I run a business. So I assume I can be in court as easily as you, if not easier.

gravedigger
08-08-2020, 08:37 PM
There are not going to be sports this school year. Nothing will be different in spring

Reality.

MetEdDawg
08-08-2020, 08:43 PM
I run a business. So I assume I can be in court as easily as you, if not easier.

You must not know much about education. I doubt there is a system in the country that is in court more than the education system.

People who work for someone don't typically sue them unless they are negligent. Especially in the case of COVID. Catching COVID at school leaves the door open for us to get screwed.

If one person catches COVID, a lawyer could potentially rip everything apart we did at the school level to determine if we did everything we could to provide a safe environment for students. And if they find anything that didn't, we can go down.

We should know by the end of September how dangerous COVID truly is. We are about to send kids to school for the first time since there's been widespread proliferation of the virus. Should be an interesting test to see how easily kids pass it, how dangerous it is to them, and if they do indeed bring it home and pass it along to family members easily.

Cooterpoot
08-08-2020, 08:57 PM
They claimed that they were like -29 a week or so ago. I'm assuming that's COVID beds most likely and they probably needed to open another unit up to alleviate it.

Fake news. They weren't all full.

BeardoMSU
08-08-2020, 09:06 PM
This thread is fascinating.

We've got "fear porn/covid bro/mongering", college AD's are a bunch of liberal academics, "it's simple...just play ball, or lose your scholarship", and now manliness is defined how seriously one takes a global pandemic. Sweet......also, apparently all the sports media desperately want all sports to be cancelled, and are all obnoxiously rooting for that to happen....because....it would somehow benefit those that work in sports media...?

Yup. Down is up. Up is down. And the Earth is flat***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM8QA5ZX6fI

Look, I know there is definitely some amount of "fear porn" out there. But there definitely seems to be a lot more "head in sand", "happy thoughts", "all is well"...dare I say """propaganda""" taking root in certain circles. I guess we'll see...

Dawg2003
08-08-2020, 09:22 PM
My hospital's ICU has a little over 50% Covid patients, and we stopped a lot of elective surgeries in July. So we would have definitely been overwhelmed if we hadn't shut down those elective surgeries that require an ICU bed like open heart surgery.

MadDawg
08-08-2020, 09:57 PM
My hospital's ICU has a little over 50% Covid patients, and we stopped a lot of elective surgeries in July. So we would have definitely been overwhelmed if we hadn't shut down those elective surgeries that require an ICU bed like open heart surgery.

Open heart surgery is elective?

TrapGame
08-08-2020, 10:02 PM

Yep, and a buddy of mine lost his father in law recently b/c they kept pushing his surgery back.

Todd4State
08-08-2020, 10:40 PM

Yes, but often times highly recommended if needed. Technically it's up to the patient whether they want it or not.

DownwardDawg
08-08-2020, 10:54 PM
Yes, but often times highly recommended if needed. Technically it's up to the patient whether they want it or not.

Same as my cancer surgery. It was “elective”. Totally up to me. I elected it and decided to live.

War Machine Dawg
08-08-2020, 11:08 PM

It's more like a 99% or greater survival rate at this point. As long as we protect those over 70, everyone else should be back to living life as normal. The seasonal flu is more deadly than the Wuhan Virus. Unfortunately, it's become highly politicized in order to keep the economy from recovering before the election in November. Sweden never shut down, had a very low death rate and didn't destroy their economy needlessly. It should infuriate everyone that people are losing their businesses not because they had a poor business model, but because their government forced them out.

War Machine Dawg
08-08-2020, 11:11 PM

People don't understand that "elective" surgeries aren't the same as optional surgeries. Elective is everything from bypasses, knee replacements, etc. Surgeries people actually need. Optional would be a nose job. Stopping elective surgeries is crazy.

War Machine Dawg
08-08-2020, 11:17 PM

He was morbidly obese and probably had diabetes. But again, one outlier shouldn't change the general trend.

99jc
08-08-2020, 11:17 PM
You must not know much about education. I doubt there is a system in the country that is in court more than the education system.

People who work for someone don't typically sue them unless they are negligent. Especially in the case of COVID. Catching COVID at school leaves the door open for us to get screwed.

If one person catches COVID, a lawyer could potentially rip everything apart we did at the school level to determine if we did everything we could to provide a safe environment for students. And if they find anything that didn't, we can go down.

We should know by the end of September how dangerous COVID truly is. We are about to send kids to school for the first time since there's been widespread proliferation of the virus. Should be an interesting test to see how easily kids pass it, how dangerous it is to them, and if they do indeed bring it home and pass it along to family members easily.

i believe i have insight on this that most don't. This shit is real I have handled the bodies personally...seen many families heartbroken....with that being said there is no other choice than to lay all the cards on the table. Start schools and see what happens is the mentality! As was stated Sept/Oct is the timeline. i am going to get all the fishing i can in before then because i think its going to explode and off to a new deployment. hope i am wrong. one thing about it we will know who is right and who is wrong by Dec.

Liverpooldawg
08-08-2020, 11:26 PM

Basically anything is elective unless the result is immediate death if it doesn't happen. Get it now?

BeardoMSU
08-08-2020, 11:30 PM
The seasonal flu is more deadly than the Wuhan Virus. Unfortunately, it's become highly politicized in order to keep the economy from recovering before the election in November.

My God....I bet you would suck a dick in public if it meant you could be right on this.....unfortunately....

Liverpooldawg
08-08-2020, 11:32 PM
i believe i have insight on this that most don't. This shit is real I have handled the bodies personally...seen many families heartbroken....with that being said there is no other choice than to lay all the cards on the table. Start schools and see what happens is the mentality! As was stated Sept/Oct is the timeline. i am going to get all the fishing i can in before then because i think its going to explode and off to a new deployment. hope i am wrong. one thing about it we will know who is right and who is wrong by Dec.

I REALLY hope we are both wrong but I expect to see 3000 new cases a day by late September in MS. The hospitals will be totally overwhelmed and the death rate will sky rocket. I think given what we are doing, or more importantly, NOT doing, it's going to be truly terrible. If I'm wrong by all means y'all point it out. Nobody will be happier than me.

gravedigger
08-09-2020, 12:04 AM
MEDIA! MEDIA! MEDIA! Here's an actual picture of Todd4State...

https://i.postimg.cc/76hz1VN2/IMG-0810.jpg

I hear Brackey Brett is in control of all media in the country.

SPMT
08-09-2020, 12:49 AM

This virus either runs it?s course, as most pandemics, or we learn to live with it. Considering the minuscule death rate, I?m willing to live with it.

SPMT
08-09-2020, 12:52 AM
I REALLY hope we are both wrong but I expect to see 3000 new cases a day by late September in MS. The hospitals will be totally overwhelmed and the death rate will sky rocket. I think given what we are doing, or more importantly, NOT doing, it's going to be truly terrible. If I'm wrong by all means y'all point it out. Nobody will be happier than me.

No, the hospitals won?t. The death rate is very low. Very few hospitals have had a ?run? on beds. I know of more hospitals cutting workers than those ?overwhelmed?.

Dawg2003
08-09-2020, 04:40 AM

I sure hope not. The overall hospital numbers for the state have stabilized, but the ICU numbers have gone up. That is reflected at my hospital. Two weeks ago, we had 35% of our ICU as covid and now a little over 50%. But we have less patients on the regular Covid floor. So our overall numbers are stable. I hoping this is our surge, and the numbers go back down in a month or so.

Cooterpoot
08-09-2020, 07:42 AM
Hospitals are nearing ICU capacity in a lot of places in MS. But they're not all full and some are still completing elective surgeries.

Gutter Cobreh
08-09-2020, 08:56 AM
And #1. How many coaches lived?

How many died that went to a protest?

He was morbidly obese and probably had diabetes. But again, one outlier shouldn't change the general trend.

These two posts are simply shameful. May God have mercy on your souls...

Dawg2003
08-09-2020, 08:59 AM
People don't understand that "elective" surgeries aren't the same as optional surgeries. Elective is everything from bypasses, knee replacements, etc. Surgeries people actually need. Optional would be a nose job. Stopping elective surgeries is crazy.

The problem with my hospital is that we don't have enough ICU beds to do our normal load of open heart surgery. You have to go straight to CVR (specialized ICU) after open heart surgery. We actually had to start putting a few Covid patients in those beds as a last resort. CVR is also a highly specialized nursing area, so it can't be just any ICU nurse. We've had to float some of the CVR nurses to take care of Covid patients.

DownwardDawg
08-09-2020, 09:27 AM

My wife, a nurse for over 25 years, expects the worse also. She pretty much “forced” my daughter to home school our granddaughter because of this. She expects massive numbers.

confucius say
08-09-2020, 09:31 AM
Hospitals are nearing ICU capacity in a lot of places in MS. But they're not all full and some are still completing elective surgeries.

According to Dobbs yesterday, 16% of icu beds In the state are available. No level 1 hospital icu beds are available (which I think means just ummc), but plenty of level 2 hospital icu beds available.

Dawg2003
08-09-2020, 09:55 AM
I'm pretty sure St. Dominic's is a level 1 stroke center as well.

chef dixon
08-09-2020, 10:16 AM

1. Morbidly obese
2. African American
3. Hispanic

I guess I'm confused by this. Are you insinuating since those are the majority of cases you see, its evidence that we should be pushing forward with college football? Obviously its a predominantly black sport and these players and coaches are going to be around their extended families at some point. I don't feel like I'm in any position as a fan to judge if their decision to get back to playing is the right one, especially if its just for my own entertainment. The Lafayette coach dying is pretty humbling and tragic. Would he have died if they were not playing football? I don't know, maybe, but I do not envy anyone having to make these decisions.

Mimi's Babies
08-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Copied.... FACTS ARE.... We are being LIED too.... Wake up!!!!
Jackson County Coroner comments on Daily Beast article claiming MS is in trouble with COVID deaths and that we are *terrified*:

"This is a long post from me, but definitely worth reading in regards to COVID-19 and the fear being spread by some in the media... (if you share to your page you must copy my writing to post along with it or else Facebook only posts the article to your page therefore only spreading the fear and not the truth!)

Today I received a phone call at my office from a concerned citizen that read the article I have shared below. After reading the article, he said he was astounded and decided to call his coroner to find out for himself if this was indeed happening in our state, and more specifically Jackson County. I assured him that in Jackson County I currently have no COVID-19 cases in our morgue, and I let him know exactly where our COVID-19 death numbers stood in our county.

When this pandemic first began, my office started keeping a log of every death within the county that was a direct result of COVID-19. Every death certificate is generated and certified by my office, therefore allowing me to keep an accurate log. To date, I have listed a total of 41 hospital deaths and 1 residential death that were directly caused by the virus, and my numbers coincide with the 42 cases that the state health department has listed on their website for Jackson County.

After receiving the phone call from this gentleman, it peaked my interest and I decided to look up the article and read it for myself. (I encourage you to do the same.) Once I read the article, I was astonished. It had me thinking to myself that maybe this pandemic is hitting other counties harder than ours, even though Jackson County is considered a "hot spot". I face death on a daily basis, so if this article had me fearing it was this bad, I can only imagine how the average reader would interpret it.

The article mentions three counties specifically, as well as, quotes from their elected coroners. So I decided I would do a little research of my own to see if this virus was really that much more severe than it is down here. You will be surprised as to what I discovered...

I first googled the population of each county, along with the reported deaths listed with the state health department: Coahoma County has a population of 22, 124 with 11 virus deaths reported, Panola County has 34, 178 residents with 12 reported , and Bolivar County has 30, 628 with 33 virus deaths reported. To put this into perspective, Jackson County has a population of 143, 617. So my first thought was how these numbers do not reflect the theatrics of the fear that this article portrays.

For a better understanding, I called the office of each of three coroners quoted in the article, this was their responses...Coahoma stated that their county doesn't even have a morgue and that the coroner bought one himself sometime back and when asked about COVID cases, they said they had had a few recently but nothing overwhelming, maybe 4 or 5. Panola County stated that their county only has 4 person morgue, so it is often times full from their regular day-to-day cases, not specific to the virus. Bolivar County stated that their county didn't own a morgue either, but that they could use the hospitals, which has one usable morgue drawer out of four and a local funeral home has a 2 person morgue that they can use. As far as their virus-related deaths, they stated that all have occurred in the hospital; therefore, they were not coroner cases being stored by them. So this tells me that these counties already had a morgue space shortage, even prior to the virus.

COVID-19 is real and I am not downplaying the seriousness of this virus that has unfortunately claimed the lives of many beloved people. I am, however, trying to make the point that many in the media are causing panic by spreading extremely exaggerated truths in regards to this pandemic. I encourage everyone to not live in fear based on what you read and to ask your own questions just as the gentleman did by calling me today.

Stay safe, Jackson County!- Bruce Lynd Jr., Coroner "https://www.thedailybeast.com/amid-a-mississippi-coronavirus-surge-morgues-are-overflowing-and-coroners-are-scared?fbclid=IwAR1V7IWdt0ayJNDf1RsNYR-I1QmcnHXkM3iHnf1Co01NAOiFGgCWnnJ2ZAg

TALL DAWG
08-09-2020, 07:04 PM
Which hospital?

Cooterpoot
08-09-2020, 07:17 PM
According to Dobbs yesterday, 16% of icu beds In the state are available. No level 1 hospital icu beds are available (which I think means just ummc), but plenty of level 2 hospital icu beds available.

Yep. And I've seen a number of elective surgeries. They might as well say UMC is full. Because that's driving a lot of this.